• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Sep 5, 2015] rootfest (Wyoming, MI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcalyth

GLS | root

MITTEN Is The Tournament Everyone Needs!!

September 5, 2015 // Wyoming, MI
Check us out on Facebook at West MI Smash, Michigan Project M, and Michigan Melee!
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1624012111176015/

PRE-REGISTRATION LINK: http://goo.gl/n4RA8C

IS THIS YOUR FIRST WEST MI TOURNAMENT? GET A $5 DISCOUNT ON YOUR VENUE FEE AT THE DOOR! NEWCOMERS WELCOME!!

1256 28th St SW
Wyoming, MI 49509

Entry Information
$10 Venue fee (increases to $15 on day of event! Make sure you preregister!)
*$5 waiver for a full setup (CRT TV + game)

$10 Project M singles - includes pools and amateur bracket
$10 Melee singles - includes pools and amateur bracket
$10/team Project M doubles - double elimination
$10/team Melee doubles - double elimination

Tentative Schedule
10:00am - Doors Open
---
11:30am - Melee Dubs Registration Ends
12:00pm - Melee Dubs Bracket, PM Dubs Registration Ends
12:30pm - PM Dubs Bracket
---
1:00pm - Melee Singles Registration Ends
1:30pm - Melee Singles Pools (Prioritize Pools over Doubles)
---
2pm - PM Singles Registration Ends
2:30pm - PM Singles Pools (Prioritize Melee Pools for crossplayers, Prioritize Pools over Doubles, PRIORITIZE DOUBLES OVER FRIENDLIES)
---
4pm - Melee Brackets begin
5pm - PM Brackets begin
---
8pm - Estimated Melee Completion
9pm - Estimated PM Completion
10pm - We're out of there :)

Payouts
0-32 entrants: 60 / 30 / 10%
33-49 entrants: 50 / 25 / 15 / 10%
50+ entrants: 45 / 20 / 15 / 10 / 5% each

Food, Lodging, Parking
As the venue is located centrally on 28th street, there are plenty of nearby restaurants. There is no shortage of nearby food. :)

Some local smashers may be able to house out of state/city attendees. Feel free to post here or on Facebook. There are hotels nearby but we don't have any special deals, sorry.

Parking is right in front of the venue. The entrance to the venue is BEHIND the strip mall if you enter from 28th street.

Rules
[collapse=General Rules]- Players who fail to report to their match within 5 minutes after it has been announced will be disqualified from the event.
- Coaching is allowed at any time unless otherwise requested. (Gentleman Rule)
- Bracket matches take priority over friendlies and money matches. The TO reserves the right to prematurely end any match.
- Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
- Wireless controllers are discouraged due to interference and unreliability.
- Pausing is recommended to be turned OFF. Pause can be requested to be off and that request cannot be denied. The penalty for pausing mid-match is loss of one stock of the pausing player. If the pause causes your opponent to lose a stock, the penalty is loss of two stocks for the pausing player. (If there is any doubt in the ruling of a pausing incident, IMMEDIATELY CALL THE TO-STAFF TO YOUR MATCH.
- Tournaments may have photo or video services present, and your attendance or registration at the tournament implies consent to have these photos and videos used publicly. Additionally, players or the TO staff may bring recording setups and they may use those recordings publicly and/or at their discretion.
- The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
- Any hacks or mods applied to a setup may be inspected by a TO, who reserves the right to have those hacks disabled if they are deemed inappropriate for tournament play.[/collapse]
[collapse=Melee and Project M Rules]- Items set to OFF and NONE.
- 4 stock, 8:00 timer
- Friendly Fire ON (doubles).
- Sets are played best two out of three games, with all Finals matches being played best three of five.
- Dave's Stupid Rule - Players may not counterpick any stage that they won on. This excludes Random. Winners may choose not to invoke DSR, or may invoke it selectively per stage.
- Gentleman's Clause - Players may play on any stage if agreed on by all players.
- If a game goes to Sudden Death for ANY reason, including timeouts, play a 1 stock, 3 minute game with the same characters and stage.
- Giga Bowser, Master Hand, etc. are banned.

Playing a Set
1. Best of one Rock Paper Scissors for port priority if requested.
2. Double Blind character selection if requested.
3. Highest port priority strikes first. (Gentleman Rule)
4. Strike order (number refers to which player is striking):
Melee: 1-2-2-1
Project M: 1-2-2-1

[Play Game]
5. Winner bans stages. Bans may be reapplied per game.
6. Loser selects stage.
7. (Optional) Winner selects character.
8. Loser selects character.
9. Repeat steps 5-8 until set is complete.

Melee Specific Rules
- Wobbling is allowed.
- Bans: Winner may ban one stage per game.

Project M Specific Rules
- Input assist OFF.
- Bans: Winner may ban 3 stages per game in singles, and 3 stages per game in doubles.
[/collapse]

Stages
[collapse=Melee Stages]- Battlefield
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Story
- Dreamland 64
- Fountain of Dreams** (singles starter)
- Pokemon Stadium** (doubles starter, singles counterpick only)
- Kongo Jungle 64 (doubles counterpick only)[/collapse]
[collapse=Project M Singles Stages]Starter
- Final Destination
- Pokémon Stadium 2
- Battlefield
- Smashville
- Dreamland

Counterpick
- Lylat Cruise
- Yoshi's Story
- WarioWare
- Green Hill Zone
- Norfair
- Fountain of Dreams
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
[/collapse]
[collapse=Project M Doubles Stages, 3 bans]Starter
- Battlefield
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Smashville
- Dreamland
- Distant Planet

Counterpick
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
- Lylat Cruise
- WarioWare
- Final Destination
- Norfair
- Delfino's Secret
- Skyworld
[/collapse]

TO Contact Info
root: PM Arcalyth on Smashboards

Last edited:

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I'd like to outline a small change in the ruleset:

- Dave's Stupid Rule (Melee Only) - Players may not counterpick any stage that they won on. This excludes Random.
- DSR Modified (Project M Only) - Players may not counterpick to the last stage that they won on. This excludes Random.

Also, feedback on PM Doubles stages is welcome. I'm still experimenting there, but singles is basically the Apex 2014 ruleset + Dracula's Castle (counterpick) with 3 bans and DSM.

Last edited:

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
o how we praise thee and thine swift knees of justice dear gods of smash

this is the day before my birthday so i dunno what i'm doing but i may be busy or i may be not...probably gonna come though

my falcon thirsts for retribution

haru-zocole

Smash Cadet
me and my buddy are down for this. we have been training for lake effect and missed it. i always look forward to tempering my skill and meet talented smashers.

ManaX

Smash Apprentice
bisonyes.gif
/find .hype
HYPE FOUND

Just got another 20 bucks too.
Guess it's going to "charity" again.
: ^)

Last edited:

Arcalyth

GLS | root
I'd prefer $5, some people might get discouraged to enter for $10
as I said on facebook...

I understand the plight of those newer to our scene in paying $10 for a tournament they know they won't win... I've been there. I'm still kinda there. but:
If we run pools, it makes your $10 worth it; you are guaranteed at least one TOURNAMENT set with 3-4 players rather than getting double eliminated immediately (which, by the way, might not happen especially if other newer players enter). More players also increases your chances of entering bracket by letting us run a bigger bracket.

Just stuff to think about if you're considering not coming because of the entry fee. And at the very least, you can show up and not enter pools; money matching is still a great competitive experience with a monetary/opportunity cost of your choosing.

---

Iam expecting a turnout equal to or greater than Lake Effect 2 which had 36+ unique players in attendance. Your money is worth it and I guarantee you will find a handful of players near your skill level to train with in friendlies/money matches for only the cost of the venue fee.

Last edited:

BertEast

Smash Apprentice
as I said on facebook...

I understand the plight of those newer to our scene in paying $10 for a tournament they know they won't win... I've been there. I'm still kinda there. but:
If we run pools, it makes your $10 worth it; you are guaranteed at least one TOURNAMENT set with 3-4 players rather than getting double eliminated immediately (which, by the way, might not happen especially if other newer players enter). More players also increases your chances of entering bracket by letting us run a bigger bracket.

Just stuff to think about if you're considering not coming because of the entry fee. And at the very least, you can show up and not enter pools; money matching is still a great competitive experience with a monetary/opportunity cost of your choosing.

---

Iam expecting a turnout equal to or greater than Lake Effect 2 which had 36+ unique players in attendance. Your money is worth it and I guarantee you will find a handful of players near your skill level to train with in friendlies/money matches for only the cost of the venue fee.
Can't argue with those points; well said root.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
I mean, you can still run the tourney for 5 dollars AMD do pools. Encourages people to enter, more games, and less money. 5 dollars for 3-4 sets sounds like a better deal than 10 dollars for the same. I see no reasons given why 10 dollars is better than 5 in this given situation.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Yeah, so after talking to a few people I'll probably just leave it at $5 for now and just focus on turnout. I want to do more $10 tourneys in the future though. We'll figure something out :)

haru-zocole

Smash Cadet
hello lordy. anytime this week ya feel like smashing before rootfest? im hosting at my house throughout the week.

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
Can't wait for this weekend to blow some bubbles, and smoke, and bubbles filled with smoke, and smoke filled with bubbles

Last edited:

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
I posted on the FB event but it hasn't gotten a response. I'm thinking about coming along with the East MI car pool. Is there any housing available?

Deafy

Aspiring Deaf Semi-Pro Smasher
Housing available at my apartment in Portage about 1 hr away from Grand Rapids.

Jawsome

Smash Apprentice
I posted on the FB event but it hasn't gotten a response. I'm thinking about coming along with the East MI car pool. Is there any housing available?
We all end up at the LordyAfterParty and crash there haha

Last edited:

Arcalyth

GLS | root
This tournament is looking to have the biggest turnout West MI has ever seen...

I'm HYPE. Be prepared for mad upsets.

Deafy

Aspiring Deaf Semi-Pro Smasher
Is anyone from Portage, Kalamazoo, Vicksburg, Schoolcraft, Colon, Sturgis, Centerville, and Mendon area going and that can give me a ride?

W.C.N

Smash Lord
I know this isn't rude fest but my coworker brought me a 5th of jäger so the rudeness will be here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom