• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jun 20, 2014] MLG Anaheim 2014 $15,000 Tournament! (Anaheim, CA)

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Question for @ Solid Jake Solid Jake : so, it's my understanding that the winner of each qualifier receives an auto-bid into the championship bracket. What happens if the same player wins multiple qualifiers? Does that duplicate auto-bid free up space for an additional at-large bid?
Correct, if you win a Qualifier you automatically qualify for Pool Play which guarantees you a spot in the Championship Bracket. Pool play is used to determine where you start in the Champ bracket. If a player wins multiple qualifiers, an additional spot becomes available via total MLG points at the end of the season.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
How does championship bracket work? Stream cut out last night when you were explaining so i missed it. Basically is it single elimination, if not how do people tie for third?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
How does championship bracket work? Stream cut out last night when you were explaining so i missed it. Basically is it single elimination, if not how do people tie for third?
there's a losers bracket, it can't be single elimination
I wrote up an explanation on the previous page, it's rather complex though because it really is confusing

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
The Championship bracket is actually two separate double elim brackets. Essentially players are seeded into a left bracket and a right bracket after pool play is complete. The winner of each bracket then advance to the grand finals. That is why there are two third place finishers, and no consolation matches. The purpose of this system is to ensure that players cannot meet twice in the champ bracket, and effectively removes "Extended series" which was a system MLG used for a long time.

Any questions? :)

Edit: Here's a champ bracket image from a SC2 event that used this system.

Last edited:

Yafuso

Smash Rookie
Just need to brush up my skills and i might make it somewhere in the open bracket. lol

smashmachine

Smash Lord
77 people 2.5 months before the event? not bad, considering the amount of competition from other events

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
We put together a quick hype video for Anaheim and the remaining NA qualifiers. Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Rolton Cussell

Smash Cadet
Damnnn. So hyped for this. I want to go but I'm not sure yet. I'm going to WHOBO6 and Crescendo 3. We'll see how this pans out, I'd really like to go, but we'll see. Hopefully this tourney blows up.

HYPE

Last edited:

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
So if the winners of both brackets have not lost a set, is grand finals going to be played out as first to win 2 sets? Or is the Finals between the bracket winners just 1 set no matter what?

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Or is it set up so that everyone that gets knocked into losers before winners finals can only fight their way back to 5th place? I'm sorry for being so confused by this lol.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
So if the winners of both brackets have not lost a set, is grand finals going to be played out as first to win 2 sets? Or is the Finals between the bracket winners just 1 set no matter what?
grand finals is actually best of 11, hope it doesn't turn into a 6-0.....

Or is it set up so that everyone that gets knocked into losers before winners finals can only fight their way back to 5th place? I'm sorry for being so confused by this lol.
no, the 20 players in championship bracket are effectively divided into 2 10-player brackets, and you can come back from losers to win your sub-bracket and make it to the championship match

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
It makes me laugh that it is literally right next to Disney.

Drop off the family at Disney and I book it to the Convention Center.

Edit: Does one of the days' event start at 2pm and do you need to participate in one of the qual tourneys to able to play at MLG?

Last edited:

LLDL

Smash Hero
Already 150 pre-registered. I am pretty happy considering the amount will at least double hopefully!

smashmachine

Smash Lord
the way too early standings (bold=already clinched one of the 12 spots):
CT Hungrybox 3200
CT EMP Mew2king 3000
MIOM Mango 2000

SS Soft 1640
SS Flow 1480
CT Zero 1400
Plup 1200
Hax 1200
SS Colbol 880
GG Mojo 880
CTRL The Moon 880
Blea Gelo 720
Nintendude 720
SS Nicaboy 720

edit: oh I see someone on Reddit has the Japanese qualifier results on hand, haha

Last edited:

smashmachine

Smash Lord
now with Get On My Level finished, updated standings:
Crs Hungrybox 4400
C9 Mango 4000
CT EMP Mew2king 3880
Remen 2000
SS Soft 2000
SS Flow 1480
CT Zero 1400
Duck 1200
Hax 1200
Kounotori 1200
Plup 1200
CTRL The Moon 880
GG Mojo 880
PL 880
SS Colbol 880

RoF is gonna be a huge shakeup to these standings though as a 5000 pt qualifier, of course

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Does it cost money just to enter the event, or can you still go in and play friendlies or money matches without actually signing up. I want to go to a major tournament but I don't want to pay the 75 bucks just to go in, play friendlies, and lose in the first two matches.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
@solidjake Can you please put up a mock bracket of where each of the players would be on bracket?

Ex. a = pool A, b = pool B
1a = 1st place finisher from pool a
5a = 5th place finisher from pool b

smashmachine

Smash Lord
losers bracket is essentially a ladder starting from the open bracket losers guys, so making top 2 in your pool and coming out in winners is super important (for all of 4 people lmao)
i.e., two losers guys face off, winner faces 8A, winner of that faces 7B, etc.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
This system does not guarantee that two people won't meet more than once, only that grand finals will not be a rematch.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
So if I understand this system, at the end of everything before champ. bracket, what you have is two separate double elim brackets, each with 10 people, 2 of which are in winners and 8 are in losers. The winners of these brackets will face one another. But how will the bracket look at the beginning? 2 in winners and 8 in losers is a very strange setup, but suppose you seeded players 1-10 in a bracket and simulated the results based on seeding until you were left with 2 in winners and 8 in losers. You will get something that looks like this:

None of those matches actually happened, that's just what would have happened according to seeding in order to get to 2 in winners with 8 in losers. I hope this is not actually what is planned.

EDIT: I think this may actually be closer to what is intended, the bracket will look something like what you see (only half as big):
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2012_MLG_Pro_Circuit/Fall/Championship#Championship_Bracket
I think this is even sillier but that's just me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I got a room at the hilton across from the venue. it has 2 beds, I would be willing to let someone crash in my room if you want to give a little something toward the room.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Yes absolutely, competitor pass gives you the same access a spectator pass gives, but you get exclusive access to the tournament area.

Top Bottom