• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Sep 14, 2015] STL BarWarz Smash 4 Singles Bi-Weekly (St Louis, MO)

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
Smash 4 Singles Bi-Weeklies, hosted by Danno's American Pub!

Come face the best in St Louis, hosted every other Monday! This is a streamed event, courtesy of STL BarWarz! You can watch us play at http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz

We are still in the process of experimenting with some rules, so they may change from time-to-time. I will alert everyone here if those changes are made (i.e. 2 stock vs 3 stock, customs on vs customs off, etc).

Danno's American Pub, 7895 Watson Rd, St Louis, MO 63119. Parking is available in front of the venue and along the side/back.

Schedule:
5:30PM - Casuals begin
7:00PM - Tournament signups start
7:30PM - Super Smash Bros. For Wii U 1v1 double elimination starts.

Entry Costs:
$5 entry.
$5 venue.
Your venue fee will be waived if bring a setup. To qualify you must bring an HD TV or monitor, a Wii U, Gamecube controller adapter and Smash 4 with all legal stages and characters unlocked. Partial setups will not receive the $5 discount. Setups discounts are given on a first come, first serve basis. Bias will be given toward monitors with less lag if it comes down to it.

Payouts:
Under 29 entrants
1: 60%
2: 30%
3: 10%

30 - 49 entrants
1: 55%
2: 30%
3: 10%
4: 5%

50 - 75 entrants
1: 48%
2: 22%
3: 15%
4: 10%
5: 2.5% (both 5th places)

Above 76 entrants
1: 40%
2: 20%
3: 15%
4: 10%
5: 5% (both 5th places)
6: 2.5% (both 7th places)

Rules:
General
2 stocks.
6 minutes.
2 stage bans.
Double elimination brackets.
Items set to off and none.
Custom moves are banned.
Equipment is banned.
All sets except grand finals are best of 3. Grand finals will be a best of 5.
If a match ends in sudden death, the winner is determined by percentage. If percentage is tied, a tie breaker round will be played. This will be a 1 stock, 3 minute match.
Mii fighters using default guest A and 1111 are allowed. All other Mii fighters are banned.
You cannot select a stage you have already won on as your counter-pick unless your opponent agrees.
If the round ends due to an inescapable suicide move, such as Bowser's Flying Slam or Ganondorf's Flame Choke, the initiator of the suicide move wins the round regardless of the results screen.

Set Procedure
1) Select your characters.
2) Stage strike from the neutral stages in a 1-2-1 order. If you need to determine who strikes first, rock-paper-scissors will determine.
3) Play game one.
4) The winner picks two stages to ban.
5) The loser announces the next stage.
6) The winner picks their character first.
7) The loser picks their character next.
8) Play the next game.

If additional games must be played, you cannot counter-pick a stage you have already won on unless your opponent agrees to it. Once a winner picks their two banned stages they must keep them for the remainder of the set.

Stage Rules
Neutral list: Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Town and City, Lylat Cruise
Counter-pick list: Dreamland, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, Castle Siege, Omega Stages*

*Omega stages may only be chosen as a counter-pick. Banning Final Destination also bans all omega stages.

Last edited:

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
What's the usual turnout for these events? Haven't really gone to a Smash tourney before and I'd just like an idea.

JSwiss

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jswiss
3DS FC
1693-3370-5027
I'd have to agree.. I will never be able to make a Monday. Saturdays on the other hand? I'd drive from Springfield for that.

Wumpy007

Smash Cadet
NNID
Wumpy007
3DS FC
2423-5589-3743
Yea I'd go if it wasn't a Monday

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
Danno's has decided that they want a Monday fight night sort of thing. I actually didn't create this event, I just advertise it here and run the rules, so I couldn't change it from Mondays even if I wanted to. We actually tend to get between 10-20 people. Last night was our biggest tournament yet, at 26!

Very soon I will be hosting monthly tournaments at SIUE over in Edwardsville, it will be on the third Saturday every month. Singles and doubles will be run for Smash 4, Melee and PM. The first event will be July 18!

Customs are banned now, per popular request and the fact that they don't see any real use in St Louis anyway. We tested them as a community and determined the majority are against them.

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
I kind of figured you weren't the host since I saw you in the bracket and you weren't the guy streaming the event , and how close is Edwardsville from Danno's Pub?

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
I kind of figured you weren't the host since I saw you in the bracket and you weren't the guy streaming the event , and how close is Edwardsville from Danno's Pub?
It's about 30 minutes away from Danno's, across the river in IL. Also, congrats Fail Whale on getting top 5! You're pretty damn good, I remember thinking 'How the hell did I get this amazing Ness in round 1?!', we had a super close set.

If you guys are interested, I run Smash 4 Smashfests at my house. Usually they are Thursdays from 7PM-midnight. Tonight (6/11), I am running from 6PM-10:30PM. We are trying to prepare for Smash and Splash this weekend! You can find updates in the Midwest regional thread for St Louis ( http://smashboards.com/threads/st-louis-area-discussion-thread.92583/ ) and also on our Facebook group (St. Louis Smash 4). They are hosted at 7907 W Bruno Ave, Richmond Heights, MO 63117.

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
It's about 30 minutes away from Danno's, across the river in IL. Also, congrats Fail Whale on getting top 5! You're pretty damn good, I remember thinking 'How the hell did I get this amazing Ness in round 1?!', we had a super close set.

If you guys are interested, I run Smash 4 Smashfests at my house. Usually they are Thursdays from 7PM-midnight. Tonight (6/11), I am running from 6PM-10:30PM. We are trying to prepare for Smash and Splash this weekend! You can find updates in the Midwest regional thread for St Louis ( http://smashboards.com/threads/st-louis-area-discussion-thread.92583/ ) and also on our Facebook group (St. Louis Smash 4). They are hosted at 7907 W Bruno Ave, Richmond Heights, MO 63117.
Haha, thanks man! Wouldn't really call it a close set though; I just got lucky the first game with your SD. Your ZSS pressure is too strong. Definitely one of my hardest matchups.

I came out to your place last night but I don't think I saw you. Just wanted to say thanks for having us over and for keeping the Smash community alive in STL! I'll probably stop by again next week, but I can't show up till 10ish since I work till 9 Thursdays and Saturdays :\ sigh why are all the Smash events on those days...

So now that you've gotten 5th last time do you think you'll get a higher score now that you have Lucas ?
lol idk. Lucas definitely takes a lot more work than Ness. He's got much better spacing tools but he lacks reliable kill moves. Probably won't be busting him out in tourneys for a while unless it's as a last resort counterpick. Gotta practice more of his AT's, but it's kind of hard without having a Wii U readily accessible.

Plus I have a feeling getting top 5 was a bit of a fluke; I was getting rekt at casuals last night e_o

Last edited:

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
Lucas' kill moves require baiting and tricking so I can see what you mean but to compensate all of his throws besides his down throw kills at around 130-160 , and also he isn't as campy as Ness because all of his spacing tools besides Pk fire has large end lag

SUPER-FLAWLESS-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
SUPER-FLAWLESS-9
This is the first tournament I'm going to and I have some questions: are customs allowed, will anyone stream this tourney (as the last one doesn't seem like it was), and would I would be the first teen to enter the stlbarwarz tournament? XD

Last edited:

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
This is the first tournament I'm going to and I have some questions: are customs allowed, will anyone stream this tourney (as the last one doesn't seem like it was), and would I would be the first teen to enter the stlbarwarz tournament? XD
Umm this will be the first time this tourney will not be doing customs and don't worry there'll be at least one other teen going there lol

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
Yes, this tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz

Customs are not allowed and no, you will not be the first teen to enter.

Rules update:
Customs are no longer allowed.
Halberd is no longer a legal stage. Dreamland has taken its place.
All DLC characters are legal.

Last edited:

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
Oh god I forgot to shout it out on Smashboards, ****. I'm an idiot. The event actually starts an hour earlier from now on, due to some schedule changes from BarWarz staff. Casuals are at 5:30pm, tournament starts at 7:30pm. Ahh, so so sorry if this is an issue for anyone!

Arma_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Armadeous
What about miiverse? And why Halberd why not delphino?
I believe that we should definitely use Miiverse over Battlefield, since on stream you won't have any comments loading. And Halberd has been removed by overwhelming request. I personally believe we should also remove Delfino and Castle Siege, I will try to make a case for this as well.

omgitsrichie

Smash Rookie
NNID
omgitsrichie
3DS FC
2938-7292-7430
Up B only!!!
haha jk. Good games last night!

As for the stages, why get rid of any of them? Don't get me wrong, my salty bias is saying please for the love of God ban those wretched low-ceiling stages. But people have made cases for all three of those stages being legal and most other tourneys allow them. The selection of legal stages is kinda limited as is.

Really looking forward to Miiverse potentially being an option though.

Man tonight was fun, I couldn't believe it was 12:00 when I left lol
How do you look Chaos, I'm not sure if I saw you there or not. I was the black guy with the orange Dragon Ball shirt and afro.
Pretty sure I recognize both of you, haha. Chaos, were you the MK I played shortly before you left?

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
How do you look Chaos, I'm not sure if I saw you there or not. I was the black guy with the orange Dragon Ball shirt and afro.
Yeah we did friendlies shortly before the tournament started if I recall correctly
Up B only!!!

As for the stages, why get rid of any of them? Don't get me wrong, my salty bias is saying please for the love of God ban those wretched low-ceiling stages. But people have made cases for all three of those stages being legal and most other tourneys allow them. The selection of legal stages is kinda limited as is.

Pretty sure I recognize both of you, haha. Chaos, were you the MK I played shortly before you left?
Yeah goddamn up b on Ness lol and I left after because it was midnight and my cousin and her friend was tired and everyone else left anyways

SUPER-FLAWLESS-9

Smash Rookie
NNID
SUPER-FLAWLESS-9
Up B only!!!

Hmmm... what was your gamertag at the tournament?

Top Bottom