• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jul 4, 2015] EXP 2015 hosted by Let's Play KW | $1000 pot bonus for melee | feat.... (Kitcener)

Liefx

Smash Rookie
Facebook Event Page:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1381107628885358/

Facebook Description:

TICKETS:
Online pre-registration coming soon!

Event fee:
$10 per player per event.

Venue Fee:
EARLY BIRD: $15 Venue (Until May 17th)
NORMAL: $20 Venue (Until June 21st)
LATE : $25 Venue (Until June 27th)

Registration closes June 27th at 23:59:59EST.

Events:
Smash Bros Melee Singles
Smash Bros Melee Doubles (48 team cap)
Smash 4 for WiiU Singles
Smash 4 for WiiU Doubles (48 team cap)
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Mortal Kombat X

Holiday Inn Kitchener-Waterloo Conference Centre
30 Fairway Rd S.
Kitchener, ON
N2A 2N2

Google Maps: http://bit.ly/1PJpWtE

SCHEDULE:
Note: All times are subject to change up to 5 days before the event, so please be aware.
Note: Losers side of Top 8 brackets may not be streamed if time runs short.

Day 1 (Saturday, July 4th)

9:30-10:45 Check-in
11:00am | Wii U Singles Pools Wave 1 Begins (RR)
11:00am | Melee Singles Pools Wave 1 Begins (RR)
11:30pm | USF4 Pool Begins
2:30pm | MKX Pool Begins
2:30pm | Melee Singles Pools Wave 2 Begins (RR)
2:30pm | Wii U Doubles Bracket Begins
3:00pm | Wii U Singles Pools Wave 2 Begins (RR)
3:00pm | Melee Doubles Bracket Begins
6:30pm | Wii U Doubles top 8 begins
6:30pm | MKX Bracket (to top 8) Begins
8:30pm | Melee Doubles top 8 begins
8:30pm | USF4 Bracket (to top 8) Begins

Day 2 (Sunday, July 5th)

11:00am | Wii U Singles Round Two Pools Begins (Bracket)
11:00am | Melee Singles Round Two Pools Begins (Bracket)
11:30am | MKX Singles Top 8 Begins
1:00pm | Melee Singles Round Three Pools Begins (Bracket)
1:00pm | WiiU SIngles Round Three Pools Begin (Bracket)
1:30pm | USF4 Singles Top 8 Begins
3:00pm | Wii U Singles top 8 Begins
6:00pm | Melee Singles top 8 Begins

PAYOUTS:
$1000 pot bonus (Melee)

Payouts apply to 100+ participants
Super Smash Bros Wii U, Melee Singles, MKX, USF4
1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 3% (x2)
7th Place: 2% (x2)

Super Smash Bros Wii U & Melee Doubles
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 25%
5th Place: 2.5% (x2)

Payouts apply to 50<100 participants
1st Place: 60%
2nd Place 20%
5th Place: 2.5% (x2)

RULESET:
Apex ruleset for both events (Smash 4 for WiiU will use the Let's Play Canada stage selection).

APEX Ruleset
https://www.apex-series.com/rules
Let's Play Canada Ruleset
http://letsplaykw.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Smash-Ruleset.pdf

CONDITIONS:
BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller)
Please mind your hygiene. Anyone caught violating this condition will be asked to leave or be showered with Axe.
Tournament matches have priority over friendlies and money matches.
No drugs, alcohol or anything illegal allowed in the hotel.

HOUSING & HOTEL:

The Venue is inside the Holiday Inn Conference Centre. We have a special deal with them to get all participants a double twin bed room for $99CAD+tax. That is about $25-$30 per person if you get 4 people in a room.

Call
(519) 893-1211
and ask to make an “in house reservation”
Provide the group code: LPK

Rooms will only be guaranteed until June 3rd, after that they open to the public. The discount will work right up to the date of event, but it's best to book before June 3rd to guarantee your room.
Map and transportation information at: www.ichotelsgroup.com

TRAVEL INFO:
If you are travelling from out of country you will be required to have a Passport, these usually take between 1-4 weeks to arrive:

1. Americans can get passports very easily. Go to your local post office and apply for them. They will give you all the instructions on what to do, and some people get their passports within 2 weeks! Getting one costs $135 USD for anyone 16+ ($110 USD to renew), or $105 USD for anyone under 16.

2. A possible alternative for Americans is an enhanced drivers license which is cheaper than a passport, and quicker to obtain. The enhanced license lets you travel to Canada, and some other countries (though not as many as a passport).

3. US Passport Card: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

MORE PASSPORT INFO

Please note that as of June 1, 2009 visitors to Canada from the United States will be required to show:

1) If you are crossing the border by land or sea: a valid US passport, a US passport card, or an enhanced driver's license.

2) If you are flying: a valid US passport ONLY

Full details available here: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

BUSING
Busing is a very popular mode of transportation for people looking for a cheap way to reach tournaments in other cities. Here are several bus companies which provide both domestic and international routes.

Canadian Megabus site: ca.megabus.com
American Megabus site: us.megabus.com
Canadian Greyhound site: greyhound.ca
American Greyhound site: greyhound.com

The bus terminal where you will end up is the Charles Street Terminal in Kitchener. You can then take the 7B Towards Fairview via Weber. There is a stop directly in front of the Holiday Inn.

15 Charles Street W
Kitchener ON
N2H 1H3

FLYING
If you are flying from within Canada or anywhere that's not the United States, the best airport for you to land in is the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Toronto Pearson International Airport
6301 Silver Dart Drive, Mississauga
Ontario, Canada L4V 1E8

www.torontopearson.com
If you are flying from the United States and you want to save money, it is recommended that you fly to the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

Buffalo Niagara International Airport
4200 Genesee Street, Cheektowaga
New York, United States

www.buffaloairport.com

From there you can take the bus (Greyhound or Megabus) to Toronto, or possibly directly to Kitchener.

SPONSORS:

Let's Play KW is teaming up with the following organizations to provide the best possible experience we can bring you.

Games Exchange:
https://www.facebook.com/kwGamesExchange

Even Matchup Gaming
http://www.evenmatchup.com/

eSports Gaming Events:
http://www.egeofficial.com/

Civilian Printing:
http://civilianprinting.com/

Burnign Meter:
www.burningmeter.com

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
This is going to be the first tournament I attend in person. I have some questions to ask, since I am always lost.

• What is a Venue? What is the difference between a Venue and Event fee?

• Can my family/friends spectate? My parents want to see me in action.

• If I sign up, and arrive, how and where do I register my alias/nickname? + How can you confirm that I am me?

• How do round robins function? I have troubles understanding this concept? (Link would be helpful).

• How do people know when their next match will be?

• I suck at memorizing stage selection + banning. Can I bring things (notes) to my match?

• If I exit the area. Can I come back in?

Sorry if I asked a lot. But I have completely no idea on how things will function. Also, very excited!

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
This is going to be the first tournament I attend in person. I have some questions to ask, since I am always lost.

• What is a Venue? What is the difference between a Venue and Event fee?

Venue is the place the tournament is held. Venue fee covers the cost of renting the space and providing amenities. Event fee goes towards the prize payout for the tournament.

• Can my family/friends spectate? My parents want to see me in action.

Of course. Some tournaments (not all) require spectators to pay the venue fee or a spectator fee, I don't know about this one.

• If I sign up, and arrive, how and where do I register my alias/nickname? + How can you confirm that I am me?

I think nickname registration is done at time of signup, some very large tournaments check ID to confirm against your registration, most tournaments you just say who you are and that's enough. As a very travelled tournament veteran I can tell you I have never seen impersonation be a problem anywhere, I wouldn't worry about it (I asked the same question before my first tournament)

• How do round robins function? I have troubles understanding this concept? (Link would be helpful).

Round robin format:
-Divide every competitor into pools (usually 4-8 people in a pool)
-Everyone in a pool plays a 2 out of 3 match against everyone else (doesn't matter what order they are played) and records the score
-The players who perform the best in each pool (usually 2-4 from each pool depending on the tournament and pool size) qualify for the main bracket
-Player ranking within each pool is determined in order by 1. Number of sets won; 2. Number of games won in lost sets; 3. In the event of a tie the player who won between those 2 players is given the edge; 4. In the event of a 3-way tie normally those 3 will play a new tiebreaker pool (usually something quick like 1 stock 1 game).

• How do people know when their next match will be?

For pool matches just stay near your pool after it gets called (it will be assigned to a station) and play your pool matches in any order.
Bracket matches get called by the organizers, sometimes over a megaphone, sometimes they just yell, sometimes there's an updated bracket you can check on your phone, etc.
Just a couple points of advice here, first don't expect to qualify for the bracket in your first tournament, very few people do. Second the best thing you can do at a tournament towards becoming a better player is to meet and network with other players especially if you can find others from your area. I put this here because it's a lot easier for people to find you for your matches once they know who you are.

• I suck at memorizing stage selection + banning. Can I bring things (notes) to my match?

Yes. Some tournaments will provide printouts of the legal stages as well. There was a Brawl player in our region who kept a giant binder full of match notes, player habits, stage preferences, etc. He was also one of the best in the region.

• If I exit the area. Can I come back in?

Of course, just try not to leave when you have a match coming up as you will get disqualified if you can't be found for a match.

Sorry if I asked a lot. But I have completely no idea on how things will function. Also, very excited!
My answers are in bold in the quote above. Good luck at your first tourney!

Top Bottom