• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 20, 2014] Super Smash Saturday Weekly @ Hitbox Arena (Kinnelon, NJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director

Welcome to our Saturday Smash Weekly event!

Until the release of New Super Smash Bros. our Saturday Weekly will incorporate SSB64, Melee Singles and PM Singles and Doubles as stated above. We will be updating our schedule as the new game are released for the 3DS and Wii U.

Remember, a venue fee covers friendlies (non-tournament matches) all day.

We have (12) well maintained Wii setups for All our Smash events.

All you need is to bring your controller!

ADDRESS:

25 Kinnelon Road
Kinnelon, NJ 07405

---

ENTRY:

Venue fee: $10 (includes all day friendlies)
Entry: $10 (goes to player prize pool)
Doubles $10 each player

PRIZES:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

100% of the prize pot is paid out to the players. In the event that there are under 10 entrants, the payout will instead be 70/30 between 1st and 2nd.
For over 32 players, we pay out to top 4 (55, 30, 10, 5)

---

SCHEDULE:

Venue Opening: 11 AM (please do not come any earlier!)
Melee/SSB64: 1 PM
Project M Singles: 3 PM
Project M Doubles: 5 PM

---

RULES (Melee): 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
All items set to off and none
Either player may call for a double blind character selection for the first match.

Controller ports are decided by rock paper scissors if no agreement is reached.

If the game is paused, the player who did not pause the game may choose to make the player who paused the game lose a stock. Gameplay resumes normally afterward.

Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the player who quit.

If time runs out, the player who is winning by stock and percent is declared the victor. In the case of a stock and percent tie, a 1 stock 3 minute match will be played with the same characters and stage.

Controllers with performance-enhancing modifications such as turbo buttons are not allowed. Modifications that do not explicitly alter performance, such as swapped analog sticks or springless shoulder buttons, are allowed.

In the event of a game crash or power outage, the set count remains the same as prior to the crash, and the match that was being played is restarted with the same characters and stage. If a player intentionally initiates a game crash via glitch, he/she takes a game loss.

Mid-match coaching is allowed if both players have only one coach each. Pre-match coaching or consultation is unrestricted.

--------------------------------------

Stage list and match procedure:

1. Prior to the first game of the set, players take turns striking starter stages (in a 1-2-2-1 fashion) until one stage remains. Game 1 is played on that stage.

2. At the end of game 1, the winner announces their stage ban for the set. Neither player can choose that stage for the remainder of the set.

3. The loser announces their counterpick stage.

4. The winner announces their character for the next match, but does not have to switch.

5. The loser announces their character for the next match.

6. The match is played.

Steps 3-5 repeat until one player has won two games, three in winners/losers/grand finals). There are no stage bans in best of 5 sets.

Starters:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Story
-Fountain of Dreams (singles only)
-Dream Land 64

Counterpicks:

-Pokemon Stadium

--------------------------------------------------------------

RULES (Project M): 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
All items set to off and none
Sets are best of 3, winners/losers/grand finals are best of 5.

Either player may call for a double blind character selection for the first match.

Dave's Stupid Rule: A player may not counterpick any stage he or she has already won on in a set.

Controller ports decided by rock paper scissors if no agreement is reached. For doubles, ports are 1-2-2-1.

Team attack is on, share stock is allowed.

If the game is paused, the player who did not pause the game may choose to make the player who paused the game lose a stock. Gameplay resumes normally afterward.

Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the player who quit.

If time runs out, the player who is winning by stock and percent is declared the victor. In the case of a stock and percent tie, a 1 stock 3 minute match will be played with the same characters and stage.

If a match goes to sudden death due to a suicide move, the player who initiated the move is declared the victor.

Buffer is disabled.

Custom controls are allowed, controllers with performance-enhancing modifications such as turbo buttons are not. Modifications that do not explicitly alter performance, such as swapped analog sticks or springless shoulder buttons, are allowed.

In the event of a game crash or power outage, the set count remains the same as prior to the crash, and the match that was being played is restarted with the same characters and stage. If a player intentionally initiates a game crash via glitch, he/she takes a game loss.

Mid-match coaching is allowed if both players have only one coach each. Pre-match coaching or consultation is unrestricted.

Giga Bowser is banned.

----

Stage list:

For the first match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-2-1 fashion. After a game concludes, the winner of the previous match bans a stage for the rest of the set. In best of 5 sets, this process is not repeated for multiple bans.

Starters:

-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Smashville
-Pokemon Stadium 2
-Dream Land 64
-Fountain of Dreams (singles only)
-Yoshi's Story (singles only, this stage is banned in doubles)
-Distant Planet (doubles only)

Counterpicks:

-Yoshi's Island
-Distant Planet (singles)
-Fountain of Dreams (doubles)
-Dracula's Castle
-Lylat Cruise
-WarioWare
-Green Hill Zone
-Skyworld

Hope to see everyone there, this event should be a huge success. Look out for Smash sessions, tournaments, streams, and more from Hitbox Arena and Smash24 in the very near future! Please like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HitboxArena, or check out www.hitboxarena.com

Last edited:

PlainSimpleGarak

Smash Cadet
I might come, how many people are you expecting?

EDIT: Also, a suggestion for Brawl, if you are doing one stock you should make it best of 5 for normal matches and best of 7 for grand finals. Best of 3 one stock is much too short.

Last edited:

Fluxx

Smash Rookie
Wait so if you are only gonna play PM singles, you have to get there by noon and then wait around until 5?

Max Ketchum

@ PlainSimpleGarak PlainSimpleGarak : I actually am one of the minds behind the one stock ruleset, haha. Read the rules a bit more carefully--a best of three with the same characters/stages counts as one game, and a set is best two out of three of these games. This is actually a bit longer than best of 5. As far as attendance goes, I'd expect about 30-40 people.

@ Fluxx Fluxx : No, you don't have to come that much earlier than the events you're going to enter. If you're only entering PM singles, you can come as late as 4-4:30 without issue.

Last edited:

PlainSimpleGarak

Smash Cadet
@ PlainSimpleGarak PlainSimpleGarak : I actually am one of the minds behind the one stock ruleset, haha. Read the rules a bit more carefully--a best of three with the same characters/stages counts as one game, and a set is best two out of three of these games. This is actually a bit longer than best of 5. As far as attendance goes, I'd expect about 30-40 people.
Whoops, my bad then, I just saw bestvof three and assumed that was a set. And obviously I couldn't make it because of the time I'm posting this, but good luck!

UrBoyKyle

Smash Rookie
Hey I have been considering going to this or the melee monday one, I am jusy wondering how many people usually show up to this event?

Max Ketchum

We get about 20 people on Saturdays, 10 on Mondays. We're really trying to grow, so people skeptical on coming based on attendance should just all come so the attendance is great!

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
My friend of mine isn't comfortable with entering a tournament yet. Can he pay the entry and just play friendlies? And how many friendly set ups will there be?

Max Ketchum

If you pay venue fee, you're covered for friendlies for the whole day. We have 12 setups here total--once the bracket thins down (usually one or two rounds) to the point where we don't need them all for tournament sets, all the extra TVs are fair game for friendlies.

POOB

Smash Journeyman
How many attendants do you expect this saturday? Also, this saturday is a "special event" right? Is that like a monthly thing? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom