• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwest [Sep 10, 2015] Ganon's Gauntlet CGTC- Smash 4 Wii-U/Melee Weekly (Lewisville, TX)

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
Smash Bros. Competitive Weekly/Smashfest me and my friends run in the Lewisville, TX area.
Payout to top3 or more depending, be respectful of the venue and the employees/TOs so we can all have fun playing smash.
Official Challonge: http://ganongauntlet.challonge.com/

Doubles Smash4- 2nd & 4th of the month- 7pm
Doubles Melee- 1st and 3rd of the month- 7pm
Weekly Smash4 singles- 7:30pm
Weekly Melee singles- 8pm

$3 venue fee (lets you play all night, you do not not have to enter tourney to play)
$5 entry to EACH event ($5 per team), DOUBLE ELIMINATION
All tournaments abide by the competitive rulings the same as Smash4

**********MELEE RULE SET: 4 stock, 8 minutes, pause OFF

*CHARACTER SELECTION HAPPENS AT SAME TIME

Neutrals:

Battlefield

FD

Dreamland 64

Yoshi’s Story

Fountain of Dreams

*Stage striking is done 1-2-1, port priority chooses first

Counter Pick:

Pokemon Stadium

*LAST PLAYER WHO WON GETS 1 STAGE BAN

*LOSER PICKS STAGE, WINNER PICKS CHARACTER, THEN LOSER PICKS CHARACTER

*CANNOT PICK LAST STAGE YOU WON ON IN THE SET, UNLESS MUTUALLY AGREED TO

************SMASH 4 RULE SET: 2 stock, 6 minutes, pause OFF

*CHARACTER SELECTION HAPPENS AT SAME TIME, THEN STAGE

*Mii Fighters, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu are all legal characters

Neutrals:

Battlefield

FD

Smashville

Town and City

Dreamland 64
*Striking is done in 1-2-1 format

Counterpicks:

Halberd

Castle Siege

Lylat Cruise

Delfino Plaza

Duck Hunt

*LAST PLAYER WHO WON GETS 2 STAGE BANS

*LOSER PICKS STAGE, WINNER PICKS CHARACTER, THEN LOSER PICKS CHARACTER

*CANNOT PICK LAST STAGE YOU WON ON IN THE SET, UNLESS MUTUALLY AGREED TO

* Choosing a starter is done by a stage-striking process. The player with the lower seeding chooses which stage to strike first, then the player with the higher seeding chooses which stage to strike second and the last stage remaining is the starter stage.

* The player who did not win the most recent game chooses the stage during counterpicking.
*Last player who won a game chooses character after stage selection, then next player.

* Items set to “off” and “none.”

* Either player may call for a Double Blind character selection for the first match.

* This event will be using a modified Dave's Stupid Rule - players are not allowed to counterpick to the stage where they most recently won.

* For doubles, should we decide to host as part of the event, Team Attack is on and life stealing is allowed. Remember that Attack+Special, not the Pause button, is used to steal lives.

* Pausing during a match, unless okayed by the other player, will result in the loss of one stock for the pauser.

* Quitting out of a match before it is over will result in a loss for the quitter.

* If time runs out, the person with the most stock left (or least % if they are equal) wins. If the % is equal as well, play a 1 stock 3 minute match, same characters and stage.

* No excessive stalling. You know what this means.

* No coaching during a game being played
Coaching between games is allowed as long as the game finishes within the designated time frame.

* Both players may agree to any rule or stage outside the tournament ruleset; this does not include extending match times in Swiss rounds.

* Equipment and custom moves are NOT allowed in the main event. Custom moves may be put into the ruleset if requested or fully testing for competitve play.

*Please ask for the TO with any disagreement between both players in tournament, TOs ruling is final.

Now remember, have fun and enjoy smash with other great people!!

Last edited:

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
3ds weekly/smashfest me and my friends are starting in the Lewisville, TX area. Entry is $5, no venue fee unless attendance is high. Payout to top3 or more depending, be respectful of the venue and the employees/TOs so we can all have fun playing smash.
So is it only going to be a smash 3ds tournament? Or will there be melee and project m as well?

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
For now 3ds is the only tournament, but its a smashfest overall so anyone wants to play melee, pm, brawl, or 64 we,ll get a setup

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
Well we havent had much luck getting anyone to come for the 1st month, we will try to atleast have 2 setups for wii u, granted only that many because of no turnout but we appreciate anyone willing to come down, and remember its a smashfest as well so if you want us to run other games i,d be more than happy to get enough setups for a weekly.
Please just come down on Thursday and i,ll be sure to greet and welcome everyone even for small turnouts

Last edited:

Lil_Dirt

Smash Rookie
getting there after work on Thursday is the biggest problem for me personally. Rush hour across the metroplex :p you may have a better turnout if you change the day? That's when they do their weeklies in Plano if I'm not mistaken? I really dig smash4 and it doesn't seem to have much of a scene around where I live. I'm also looking for people to play so if any one sees this add me on Wii u! NNID: IM_UGLY_IN_HD

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
Bro I would love to come to this smashfest, you should have a setup for project m and melee, and of course smash 4, do you have to pay to get in?

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
Also you should have this event on like a Saturday instead? Where there's more time, and everybody can be less stressed because of school or work. Just a suggestion.

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
me and all my friends have work on Saturday, and Thursday was the best day for us and the store to host something could maybe change the time but thats all i can really do right now, and we,ll have atleat 1 setup for every game if someone wants it.

Last edited:

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
me and all my friends have work on Saturday, and Thursday was the best day for us and the store to host something could maybe change the time but thats all i can really do right now, and we,ll have atleat 1 setup for every game if someone wants it.
Alright then, Yea just try to figure out a better day, and a setup for smash 4, project m, and melee would be nice. What kind of TVs or monitors do y'all play on? Just wondering, so we don't worry about input lag and response time. Because I know people play pm and melee on those CRT TVs or old school types of TVs. Just wondering.

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
we,ve got a good number or crts for older games, wii u we,ve only got mounted LCDs on the wall, that might be weird for some people to play on buts its all we have atm

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Stages:

Starters:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick:
Delfino Plaza
Kongo Jungle 64
Any Omega Stage
Just curious why you have so few stages legal. With Delfino legal, Skyloft and Wuhu Island seem like surefire legal stages as an example. The lack of Duck Hunt, Castle Siege, and Pokemon Stadium 2 is also very odd to me. We've ran tournaments as the official team of /r/smashbros and I can assure you all of those stages are 100% okay for tournament play, and they are commonly legal elsewhere as well. Other then that, this is a good looking starter list.

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
Duck Hunt is kinda janky, theres an instant kill on wu-hu, and Ps2 is jst badly designed. Castle siege or Skyloft could be counterpicks but this was just a rough draft to get it going, didnt want too little or too much- mostly wanted 5 neutrals for striking and atleast 2 conterpicks

Last edited:

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
So you got the tournament back up and running Jared? And its on Thursday at 7:00 P.M right?

DPM15

Smash Cadet
do we have to be there right at 7? My cousin is considering signing up for the event. If she can make it, it'll be her first tourney. She and I have been wanting to compete for a while now and I figured this would be a great way to wrap up my college finals. Also, I'm going to enter, and like my cousin, this will be my first tourney. How do we enter? Is this tourney for smash 4 on both wii u and 3ds?

Last edited:

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
This is a Wii U Smash 4 tournament, singles for right now and starts around 7-7:30 with a double elimination bracket.
$5 entry, cash is perfered, once your signed up i'll put you in the bracket.
Any other info you might want just ask or look at the posts description.

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
Hey do you have the gamecube adapter for smash 4 wii u? Because i was hoping to play with the gamecube controller.

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
Quick suggestion: Not Thursdays or Fridays, or mondays

DFW goes to Shockwave and IaB on Thusdays and Fridays. Melee Night Melee on... well.

Just about any other day is free.
That being said, I might show just to grow this.

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
sign ups are at the venue, we do have 1 adapter currently trying to get more setups, and we have it on thursdays cause it is the only day most of my player base is free. people can choose whether to play PM or smash4 at either venue they choose.

DPM15

Smash Cadet
This is gonna be my first gaming tournament ever, so I have another question. Do we usually have to bring certains things to the event? i.e. Gamecube controllers, wiimotes, etc.

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
This is gonna be my first gaming tournament ever, so I have another question. Do we usually have to bring certains things to the event? i.e. Gamecube controllers, wiimotes, etc.
Bring your controller.

Outside of that... Is there a venue fee?

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
sign ups are at the venue, we do have 1 adapter currently trying to get more setups, and we have it on thursdays cause it is the only day most of my player base is free. people can choose whether to play PM or smash4 at either venue they choose.
Is there more than one Venue?

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
we have about 2 of each type of controller if you cant bring your own, also there is NO VENUE FEE (ONLY TOURNAMENT ENTRY), im friends with the store manager and we both agreed there wasn't a point to punish the players to put more money down if it didnt contribute to they're winnings, we may have a venue fee if we take too much room overtime tho

Last edited:

Lil_Dirt

Smash Rookie
how was the turnout last week? i want to come out but its like a 45-60 min drive not considering rush hour for me. I'm hoping to try to come out this week and i can bring some set ups but honestly not to be rude i don't want to come out if no one else does :p

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
we had 8 people this week, doesnt seem like alot people who said they would show up came but the scene is still growing for us. if you can bring a setup with a moniter that would be fantastic.

3mangos Celestia

Smash Rookie
NNID
chris-frost
Are you still going to run the tournament during the Christmas break? Because i will most likely go, since ill have more time.

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
most likely not next week cause it would be on Christmas but any week before or after we will run the tourney.

GBmaster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Rengi67
just trying to keep it tournament ruleset, most nationals/invitionals have had 2 stock and unless the universal ruleset changes we will be doing that.

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
How far of a drive form dallas would this be? Specifically Lake Highlands?
Btw next week Thursday is Christmas

Top Bottom