• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jab-Grab?

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
So, I couldn't find any youtube videos on it, and I can't seem to figure out how to wavedash->jab->grab. Usually a second jab comes out, and if I delay it, it doesn't feel like it'll connect properly. When I say this, I mean that it they can interrupt with something. Am I an idiot, or am I missing something?

Olipop

Smash Rookie
If you input grab right after jab it will be another jab but if you hold forward a bit as if youre walking and press Z it will come out as a grab

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Frame data for Ice Climbers' jab:

Total: 29
Hit: 4-7
Window of the backswing: 3-29
IASA: 16
Backswing starts: 14 (or later)

"IASA" means "interruptible as soon as", which means that frame 16 is the first actionable frame. However, there are limitations on what moves you can use to interrupt jab before the animation ends. You cannot perform another jab, grab, shield, or any "B" move during the jab animation. The first two are because if you input another jab ("A" or Z") any time before Popo retracts his hammer, you'll just perform the second part of his jab sequence ("backswing").

What you are doing is simply waiting until the last frame (29) before performing the grab. And you're right--you could be doing it at least 13 frames faster.

Things that can interrupt jab include tilts, smashes, walk, run, jump, and crouch. This means that if you want to perform a move that is not directly actionable during the IASA frames, you have a few options: perform one frame (or more) of walk, run, crouch, or jump, before inputing the desired action. Each of these actions will take you out of the jab animation early so that you can perform another move.

If you want to perform a standing grab, you can input one frame of walk, crouch, or jump, followed by Z. If you want to shield, you can input one frame of walk, run, or crouch, followed by L or R. If you want to jab (rather than finish the jab combo/backswing), you can input one frame of walk or crouch, followed by A (although if you don't let the control stick return to neutral, you'll perform a tilt instead).

Last edited:

Liam_Butler

Smash Apprentice
Frame data for Ice Climbers' jab:

Total: 29
Hit: 4-7
Window of the backswing: 3-29
IASA: 16
Backswing starts: 14 (or later)

"IASA" means "interruptible as soon as", which means that frame 16 is the first actionable frame. However, there are limitations on what moves you can use to interrupt jab before the animation ends. You cannot perform another jab, grab, shield, or any "B" move during the jab animation. The first two are because if you input another jab ("A" or Z") any time before Popo retracts his hammer, you'll just perform the second part of his jab sequence ("backswing").

What you are doing is simply waiting until the last frame (29) before performing the grab. And you're right--you could be doing it at least 13 frames faster.

Things that can interrupt jab include tilts, smashes, walk, run, jump, and crouch. This means that if you want to perform a move that is not directly actionable during the IASA frames, you have a few options: perform one frame (or more) of walk, run, crouch, or jump, before inputing the desired action. Each of these actions will take you out of the jab animation early so that you can perform another move.

If you want to perform a standing grab, you can input one frame of walk, crouch, or jump, followed by Z. If you want to shield, you can input one frame of walk, run, or crouch, followed by L or R. If you want to jab (rather than finish the jab combo/backswing), you can input one frame of walk or crouch, followed by A (although if you don't let the control stick return to neutral, you'll perform a tilt instead).
Thank you very much, very detailed and thorough, I understand it completely now. ^_^

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Another thing to note (a lot of people will do this by accident), but if you crouch and hit Z, it makes you jab.
This is pretty useful in doing multiple quick jab cancels in succession (which is super situational, but w/e.)
To grab, you just have to make sure you return the stick to neutral.

Top Bottom