• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

J-Stars Victory Vs. Topic (Plus Update Confirmed for Summer 2015 Western Release)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would, but the character selection choices are disappointing.

I would have loved to have played as Nougami Neuro from Majin Tantei, Kagura from Gintama, or even Nami from One Piece.

But pretty much all my favourite characters have been removed or moved to supports ;___;

I can understand Tetsu Kuroko being a support because of moveset issues, but still. :/
Basically how I feel about Jaguar being support after being playable in two titles already.

Either way, I'll share this to cheer you up.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: Added the action packed, yet hilarious opening for J-Stars Victory VS to the OP. Look at this and tell me this looks like a beautiful game for the 45th anniversary.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Got the game today, no idea what I'm doing yet, but it's a lot of fun so far... looks like I've got to unlock characters somehow though...

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Still no Yugi? Maybe there's some legal mcgubbins.

And yes, hopefully free DLC, at least Yoh (even if he's support), not sure we really need that many JoJo characters, but I'll take it if it's there!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Got the game today, no idea what I'm doing yet, but it's a lot of fun so far... looks like I've got to unlock characters somehow though...
You just have to play J-Adventure mode for a bit to have more characters available in the store. At least play most of it (70%) to have everyone available in the shop.

This topic has been dead for a while and I haven't got my copy yet. You do have the option of editing any soundtrack you want into the game (based on what you have in your PS3).

Deta has been found for what seems to be cut fighters..

lets hope they end up as free dlc..

http://www.yareyaredaze.com/2014/03/28/j-stars-victory-vs-jotarodiodaiyoh-files-found/

4 JoJo reps do work considering how popular and long the entire JoJo franchise is. Yoh being support is as sad as what happned with Allen, but he could had a role in the game at least. Dai's a shocker since I thought the would need Square's permission since the manga is based on Dragon Quest. If DLC were to have, I would have no problem with these characters.

Last edited:

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
You just have to play J-Adventure mode for a bit to have more characters available in the store. At least play most of it (70%) to have everyone available in the shop.

This topic has been dead for a while and I haven't got my copy yet. You do have the option of editing any soundtrack you want into the game (based on what you have in your PS3).

4 JoJo reps do work considering how popular and long the entire JoJo franchise is. Yoh being support is as sad as what happned with Allen, but he could had a role in the game at least. Dai's a shocker since I thought the would need Square's ,permission since the manga is based on Dragon Quest. If DLC were to have, I would have no problem with these characters.
It seems they own dai and the manga. just not Dragon Quest over all

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I have heard (completely unsubstantiated) rumors they were having cash flow problems, and had to hold back so as they had the money to market it, sad to say, but in a way I hope it's true, as that means now they have the money they could finish off those DLC characters and hopefully get more sales... sadly I feel the legal issues will be sorted too late for the two characters you mentioned to be included (epsecially as Yugi would likely take a lot of work with all his summons to model and animated), but I can hope...

Still sucks that Yoh would be support though, maybe when it's a bit more Retro in the next game...?

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
I have heard (completely unsubstantiated) rumors they were having cash flow problems, and had to hold back so as they had the money to market it, sad to say, but in a way I hope it's true, as that means now they have the money they could finish off those DLC characters and hopefully get more sales... sadly I feel the legal issues will be sorted too late for the two characters you mentioned to be included (epsecially as Yugi would likely take a lot of work with all his summons to model and animated), but I can hope...

Still sucks that Yoh would be support though, maybe when it's a bit more Retro in the next game...?
i see a 2nd game happaing soon tbh.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Here's in in depth video that these you how to customize your soundtrack in J-Stars. This is a great idea since the Anisoun Version was too expensive for its own good. I might add the same soundtrack when I get my copy.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It's pretty great!
But also flawed...

There's not a lot of technical skill to it and the game is only balanced for the two on two metagame (plus support obv) so you'll find certain characters to be absolutely broken in one on one (and others useless), BUT in the two on two game the match-ups and teamwork aspects make for surprisingly deep layers of strategy.

The AI was getting patched daily too at the beginning, and there's still quite a few small patches coming through so it looks like they're really taking it seriously on keeping it balanced and fun.. although you'll still get really annoyed at AI partners.

There are problems though. For one thing I can't connect for random online matches, probably because of IPs although possibly latency across the globe could cause it... and this is a big problem as you can't play 4 player split-screen! The game's balance also causes an issue as you basically need a friend with you, preferably in the same room to talk strategy, every time you play the game.

As such is basically doesn't know what it wants to be, making it useless for parties, awkward for competitive online, and of course the single player isn't that exciting... but if you can find someone who will be your partner and can get a bunch of other people together for an online battle community then there is A LOT of potential for a really good, fun, metagame.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
J-Stars Victory VS may have been out for a few weeks, but that doesn't stop the competitive scene from rating characters by playability. A Gamefaqs user called Yoshirulezzz had created a tier list featuring the entire J-Stars cast earlier this week. He did a get some help from a few competitive J-Stars players by having certain characters in the right spot. Without further delay, here it is:

God Tier:
Vegeta
Saiki

S Tier:
Luffy
Bobobo
Aizen

A Tier:
Kenshin
Ryotsu
Toriko
Zebra
Yusuke
Hiei
Killua
Akainu
Sasuke
Luckyman

B Tier:
Tsuna
Shishio
Ichigo
Momotaro
Gintoki
Madara
Kenshiro
Gon
Seiya
Oga
Goku
Hancock
Ace
Nube

C Tier:
Korosensei
Jonathan
Medaka
Joseph
Naruto
Taro

Low Tier:
Frieza
Toguro
Arale
Raoh

Do you agree with the placement of these characters or you think certain characters deserved a better spot of this tier list?

PS: I'll consider adding this to the OP if more than 4 people consider this list valid enough to be legit.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
That looks pretty legit, haven't played all of the characters yet so can't give a full run down and I've not got enough experience yet to be sure how the middle goes but I generally agree.

God -

Vegeta has a lot of power and great ranged attacks, his combos are also pretty safe and really difficult to break an ally out of. He practically doesn't need support so he totally deserves the God Tier spot.

Saiki lacks the movement making him notably easier to land a hit on than Vegeta, but his attacks have an insane AOE making him difficult to approach, and therefore hard to get good damage on.

S -

Luffy's combos are insanely good, and have a good deal of movement making them hard to release an ally from, he oddly lacks a safe ranged attack though meaning he struggles a little against pressure characters, but with the correct support he can totally rock, and his dash attack is also good enough to overcome most characters. His charge and Victory Burst are both insanely good too, and he's probably the best 1v1 character, but as said earlier he needs support unlike the god tiers.

And that's where Bobobo comes in. Don Patch can keep adds busy really really easily, llowing him to support luffy perfectly. While he's definitly best in his support role he's certainly no slouch in combos either, and most of them have great AOEs that are hard to approach as well... but he's not the most powerful and has some issues with end lag and keeping his combos connected... Also his Victory burst sucks.

Aizen's basically the Ice Climbers of the game, he does relatively light damage but has tools to keep adds at bay and combos that lead into combos over and over. It is hard for him to pull it off though, much like the IC, and it's not quite as inescapable as the IC wobble, but in this game it's close enough... Generally less safe than the Luffy/Bobobo combo, but very dangerous if used right.

In the middle there's just too many characters, I know a few, but they aren't as obvious... Ryotsu is probably S-Tier imo (he can be practically impossible to approach, and provides amazing ranged bombardment and support), but he's very near the top of A so it's probably about right. Other than that this all looks about right but I don't have enough to say for certain...

Bottom tier I totally agree with... except maybe the order, but I'm not sure... I can't give as much reasoning, as I didn't bother playing them for long, but they do standout as bad... I did play Arale at first though so can explain her:

Her basic combos are very very static and while she's quite powerful, especially if you can get N'cha multi-hits, it just leaves her way too open. She also struggle with pressure and her special forward gives way too much warning and is practically impossible to hit with. Her Victory burst is pretty strong (though nothing on Luffy's), but if you have Arale in the team you'll probably never get a chance to use it...

Marthmario

Smash Lord
J-Stars Victory VS may have been out for a few weeks, but that doesn't stop the competitive scene from rating characters by playability. A Gamefaqs user called Yoshirulezzz had created a tier list featuring the entire J-Stars cast earlier this week. He did a get some help from a few competitive J-Stars players by having certain characters in the right spot. Without further delay, here it is:

God Tier:
Vegeta
Saiki

S Tier:
Luffy
Bobobo
Aizen

A Tier:
Kenshin
Ryotsu
Toriko
Zebra
Yusuke
Hiei
Killua
Akainu
Sasuke
Luckyman

B Tier:
Tsuna
Shishio
Ichigo
Momotaro
Gintoki
Madara
Kenshiro
Gon
Seiya
Oga
Goku
Hancock
Ace
Nube

C Tier:
Korosensei
Jonathan
Medaka
Joseph
Naruto
Taro

Low Tier:
Frieza
Toguro
Arale
Raoh

Do you agree with the placement of these characters or you think certain characters deserved a better spot of this tier list?

PS: I'll consider adding this to the OP if more than 4 people consider this list valid enough to be legit.
Seeing Bobobo in high tiers made my day.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Update: The new title says it all, my compadres. I've added the brand new trailer for the game's updated release, some info about the regions it would be released for, and mentioned one of the few new features it would have.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
So glad it's coming over, and with bonuses! I'm looking forward to maining Luffy, Jonathan, Bobo-Bo, Saiki and the Sket Dan support.

I just hope there won't be any cuts from licensing troubles.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I hope we see a few more characters playable, particularly characters from anime's that had English dubs, since those would be more recognizable from a marketing perspective.

Ryuk – Death Note
Dark Magician – Yu-Gi-Oh (Yugi as support character)
Asakura Yoh – Shaman King
Kid Muscle – Ultimate Muscle

It's like an early 2000's throw back to weekend anime... besides Death Note that's kind of current thanks to Netflix.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tell met they're going to rebalance it.
That may be the case according to one Namco Bandai journalist named Brazil. There's also the issue of certain characters being cut for licensing issues (Meaning guys like Ryotsu, Luckyman, and Taro might only be Japanese exclusive).

http://www.shonengamez.com/2014/12/...ry-vs-will-play-much-better-original-release/

I hope we see a few more characters playable, particularly characters from anime's that had English dubs, since those would be more recognizable from a marketing perspective.

Ryuk – Death Note
Dark Magician – Yu-Gi-Oh (Yugi as support character)
Asakura Yoh – Shaman King
Kid Muscle – Ultimate Muscle

It's like an early 2000's throw back to weekend anime... besides Death Note that's kind of current thanks to Netflix.
I can easily see these guys as perfect replacements for any character that's cut in the Western version, especially Yoh. Kid Muscle is a pretty good choice too since his show was at least licensed in the West (Sure Kinnikuman himself appears in the show, but he's just a crabby old man. :laugh:).

Twewy

Smash Lord
That tier list is lying. Joesph is too fabulous not to be S-Tier.

Also, buying 20 of the American release. 21 if it's any good.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That tier list is lying. Joesph is too fabulous not to be S-Tier.

Also, buying 20 of the American release. 21 if it's any good.
Since the game itself is rather unbalanced, any tier list wouldn't be too accurate. There are some fair fighters like Luffy and Joseph and broken ones like Vegeta and Saiki. I'm sure things might change when we finally get a chance to see what differences the Plus version would have in terms of character balancing.

One thing I'd like Namco to enlighten us on is the Arcade Mode since it is one of the new features that the Plus version would have. Maybe E3 would be the most appropriate time to cover that and anything else new the game would have.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though this is old news, I might as well share these recent interviews since they do answer a few questions that some of you may have.

Mini Interview
http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/01/08/shonengamez-j-stars-victory-vs-mini-interview/

Jason Enos Full Interview
http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/02/...vs-interview-menus-character-roster-revealed/

So the full roster from the Japanese version will be in all versions of the game and the negotiations for each license (Especially for series that were normally non-violent) was arguably the main challenge when it came to localization. That means characters like Taro Yamada, Luckyman, and Ryotsu Kanckichi will be known to more than just the Eastern Hemisphere. Everything like the main menus and J-Adventure Mode had been fully translated in every language possible (Including English) for now and there's not much left to do until its summer release. If the game in question were to sell well, they will possibly think about localizing any future title that they may develop and we will probably not wait this long for it to happen.

The main things answered in regards to characters may raise a few eyebrows due to how unsure Jason seem about the issue. To their first question in the second interview, they said that they can't get into character specifics. They also said that they don't know if any support character will get a playable promotion in the Plus Version, take of it as you will. And to the answer about us essentially having the final roster in the updated version, they said that they couldn't get into the specifics of the final roster. Overall, there's essentially a small chance that we can a get a few newcomers based on the licenses that are already involved in J-Stars Victory VS (One Piece, Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, ext.). We might as well wait until another major event that involves Namco Bandai for more news.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Even though this is old news, I might as well share these recent interviews since they do answer a few questions that some of you may have.

Mini Interview
http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/01/08/shonengamez-j-stars-victory-vs-mini-interview/

Jason Enos Full Interview
http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/02/...vs-interview-menus-character-roster-revealed/

So the full roster from the Japanese version will be in all versions of the game and the negotiations for each license (Especially for series that were normally non-violent) was arguably the main challenge when it came to localization. That means characters like Taro Yamada, Luckyman, and Ryotsu Kanckichi will be known to more than just the Eastern Hemisphere. Everything like the main menus and J-Adventure Mode had been fully translated in every language possible (Including English) for now and there's not much left to do until its summer release. If the game in question were to sell well, they will possibly think about localizing any future title that they may develop and we will probably not wait this long for it to happen.

The main things answered in regards to characters may raise a few eyebrows due to how unsure Jason seem about the issue. To their first question in the second interview, they said that they can't get into character specifics. They also said that they don't know if any support character will get a playable promotion in the Plus Version, take of it as you will. And to the answer about us essentially having the final roster in the updated version, they said that they couldn't get into the specifics of the final roster. Overall, there's essentially a small chance that we can a get a few newcomers based on the licenses that are already involved in J-Stars Victory VS (One Piece, Dragon Ball, Hunter x Hunter, ext.). We might as well wait until another major event that involves Namco Bandai for more news.
Nice! I do hope we can expect more information before the game's release.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh nice. Glad they were able to get a hold of the licenses for the entire cast. Honestly slipped my mind on the localization.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Yugi and Yoh.

I'd like Kinnikuman too, but it's those two that really feel missing; though of course 4kids would make that difficult...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Well it's about time that Namco started advertising the game in English, though these are from the official YouTube of the European Branch. The subtitles in vernal don't look half bad and I like how Taro is stealing the show yet again. :troll:

If there are any other characters you want to add in from the Shonen Jump series, which one(s) do you want to see in?
Despite the answer being late, I'll just say one name. Tar-chan. He could be best described as the most badass depiction of Tarzan in history due to his unique personality and gross-out antics.

Top Bottom