• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Izaw: The Art Of Cloud

As Cloud has stormed into battle many players have been trying him out and seeing what the character has to offer and one of those players is Swedish player Izaw. He has created videos in the past to highlight characters including The Art Of Kirby, The Art Of Link, The Art Of Falco, and now to show off this latest DLC, The Art Of Cloud! Give it a watch.

Learn something useful? Been playing as Cloud? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for the best in tutorial videos!

Comments

Nice, man! Keep up the good work. Cloud is definitely a character that has a lot of potential to be threatening, since he has less of a polarized moveset compared to Little Mac. In my case, Cloud might be a potential character to be my secondary as well as:4shulk:(ugh...I`m struggling between choosing the two to go with my mains:4mario::4sonic:).

Up B off the ledge is such a safe option for get up...and can get you some sneaky kills as well if your opponent is too close...especially if you've got the LB charged...

Last edited:
Izaw is out here making Zero and M2K look like slouches.

Most impressive Cloud demo I've ever seen.
Maybe because he takes his time as opposed to putting something up ASAP for the sake of easy guaranteed views due to relevance. Why do you think they dump out character "analysis" videos as well with Nintendo's trailers where nothing is really concrete or even in a setting where competitive players can get a legitimate grasp of how a new character will play? It's stupid.
I still remember seeing a list of Cloud's frame data off of his trailer... which was in 30fps. People couldn't be any more desperate for attention or for making themselves feel good by doing something ASAP before anyone else.

Last edited:
Okay, now I see what people are so hyped about. I thought limit break charge was only cancelable with shield. But you can cancel into anything. These are the kinds of moves that make for high tier characters. Options, safety.

Izaw really flubbed on the audio control in the second half. Turning up the game audio during moments of commentary, kind of a huge mistake. And while I appreciate the long, exhaustive list of how blade beam interacts with projectiles and articles, I don't think that all needed to be onscreen. We get it - limit blade beam is transcendent but won't pass through player made objects.

Except Clouds up b spike it too weak to kill anyone with a jump left or a decent recovery =/

It's one of those stupid spikes without any knockback scaling so you can survive at 100% or get gimped at 0%

The spike is pretty useless and only allows people to tech the shockwave on climhazzard in my experience which makes the move even worse as it would have been a decent counter and edgeguarding move otherwise

You can also footstool jump over Cloud WHILE getting hit down by the spike. Seriously, Climhazzard should either be a decent spike or just not have a spike :p

I liked Cloud, but terrible ledge sweetspotting and getting killed by pretty much every jab in the game on the ledge at any percent really ruins the character imo.

His early KO moves are generally too hard to hit he's not good enough to justify having such a bad recovery

Izaw needs to start doing some testing on actual players though. Many of these can be DIed out of or SDI teched like cancelled forward airs. =/

don't get me wrong, I appreciate the time Izaw takes with his videos and normally love his guides. But anyone who says this isn't a rushed Cloud video hasn't tried many of these combos or techniques in actual matches :p Cloud is not a good character. Nearly every KO option he has is DIable including side b, down smash, forward smash, and limit break blade beam. Forward air is way too slow, it CAN combo into other moves but can't be comboed into.

Limit Break Cancel is useless against anyone who knows how it works, unlike Ryu is does not give you crazy movements and more true combo options it's just mind games.

It's kind of sad though, Cloud has some really good moves and some super quick counter-like moves but the moves he NEEDS to be good just aren't good. Like Limit Break up b is way too weak, finishing touch easy to cancel, upsmash is weak and hard to land, other 2 smashes are DIable. I really wanted Cloud to be good, he just isn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe because he takes his time as opposed to putting something up ASAP for the sake of easy guaranteed views due to relevance. Why do you think they dump out character "analysis" videos as well with Nintendo's trailers where nothing is really concrete or even in a setting where competitive players can get a legitimate grasp of how a new character will play? It's stupid.
I still remember seeing a list of Cloud's frame data off of his trailer... which was in 30fps. People couldn't be any more desperate for attention or for making themselves feel good by doing something ASAP before anyone else.
I don't know about ZeRo, but I think M2K was giving his first impressions mixed with a rough idea of Cloud's frames. M2k's video was straight of his stream and put on to the channel. He isn't doing anything to rush for attention. I think he is just doing what he normaly does. Hell, he even called out ZeRo's video on Cloud for being wrong. Good on Izaw for taking more time, but it doesn't take away from what M2K did. Also Izaw did some rushing too for Cloud, I mean damn he promised a Art of Samus lol (I know coming soon).

Last edited:
Nice, man! Keep up the good work. Cloud is definitely a character that has a lot of potential to be threatening, since he has less of a polarized moveset compared to Little Mac. In my case, Cloud might be a potential character to be my secondary as well as:4shulk:(ugh...I`m struggling between choosing the two to go with my mains:4mario::4sonic:).
Check out the "Mains Advice Thread". Many people, including myself, have formed a community of helpers towards finding new mains, secondaries, and etc. for players who are unsure.

I don't know about ZeRo, but I think M2K was giving his first impressions mixed with a rough idea of Cloud's frames. M2k's video was straight of his stream and put on to the channel. He isn't doing anything to rush for attention. I think he is just doing what he normaly does. Hell, he even called out ZeRo's video on Cloud for being wrong. Good on Izaw for taking more time, but it doesn't take away from what M2K did. Also Izaw did some rushing too for Cloud, I mean damn he promised a Art of Samus lol (I know coming soon).
Izaw has a lot of good information and I'm amazed at how quick he mastered some things, I just feel like Cloud has not been out long enough to make a competitive guide. I thought he was great at first, his early KO options are too easy to avoid and he's just too easy to gimp.

Even with careful positioning his up b has no invincibility and can be blocked too easily by long lasting attacks (such as his own down air lol). Cloud dittos are some of the fastest matches I've played XD

Neutral Air, Down tilt, Up air, and Limit break side b are all amazing moves but it's just way too easy to gimp Cloud.

A lot of times even if you manage to dodge an attack you end up missing your chance to recover with your standard up b I still can't believe how bad it is. Pretty much every jab and ftilt kills Cloud if he has no jumps near the edge lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neutral Air, Down tilt, Up air, and Limit break side b are all amazing moves but it's just way too easy to gimp Cloud.

A lot of times even if you manage to dodge an attack you end up missing your chance to recover with your standard up b I still can't believe how bad it is. Pretty much every jab and ftilt kills Cloud if he has no jumps near the edge lol.
I totally agree, but that just means you have to play a sharp game with Cloud. If your game is on point, I believe this character can be really scary to deal with.

Check out the "Mains Advice Thread". Many people, including myself, have formed a community of helpers towards finding new mains, secondaries, and etc. for players who are unsure.
It`s okay. Thanks for your help. I went to that thread so many times, because I constantly keep changing characters (except for Mario which I played him since day 1 of Smash 3DS). I'm gonna wait until we have more information on Cloud to see if he can actually help Mario or Sonic. I know that Shulk can help in some Mario MUs.

Izaw has a lot of good information and I'm amazed at how quick he mastered some things, I just feel like Cloud has not been out long enough to make a competitive guide. I thought he was great at first, his early KO options are too easy to avoid and he's just too easy to gimp.

Even with careful positioning his up b has no invincibility and can be blocked too easily by long lasting attacks (such as his own down air lol). Cloud dittos are some of the fastest matches I've played XD
Boi then you forgot about Roy dittos cuz he kills just as fast. Again, I think Izaw and M2K have legit info to use for the time being. I just don't want the man forgotten I mean he went through the attacks one at a time. I will give M2K a cookie. Also off topic a bit, why do I feel like people aren't even labbing much anymore I think others could have easily found these, meh prob just me and me labbing all the time. >.>

Boi then you forgot about Roy dittos cuz he kills just as fast. Again, I think Izaw and M2K have legit info to use for the time being. I just don't want the man forgotten I mean he went through the attacks one at a time. I will give M2K a cookie. Also off topic a bit, why do I feel like people aren't even labbing much anymore I think others could have easily found these, meh prob just me and me labbing all the time. >.>
Part of it is how strong DI is in smash 4 to be honest. I stopped using training mode for the most part as well, too many times I've been sure something is a true combo only to have it easily DIed everytime XD SDI teching is also a big factor. I've seen a lot of things teched that you would never think could be teched lol

M2Ks was pretty decent for a day one guide but I'm not sure why they called it an in-depth competitive guide. Cloud will likely be tweaked a bit either way so too early to make in-depth competitive guides.. It's good to get the general stats and look at the new characters movesets but I saw a LOT of people rushing to try to confirm a bunch of stuff with Cloud.

Outside of up air and dtilt setups most of his stuff is pretty easy to escape =/

Last edited:
Part of it is how strong DI is in smash 4 to be honest. I stopped using training mode for the most part as well, too many times I've been sure something is a true combo only to have it easily DIed everytime XD SDI teching is also a big factor. I've seen a lot of things teched that you would never think could be teched lol

M2Ks was pretty decent for a day one guide but I'm not sure why they called it an in-depth competitive guide. Cloud will likely be tweaked a bit either way so too early to make in-depth competitive guides.. It's good to get the general stats and look at the new characters movesets but I saw a LOT of people rushing to try to confirm a bunch of stuff with Cloud.

Outside of up air and dtilt setups most of his stuff is pretty easy to escape =/
Labbing doesn't always mean going to trainning mode. You can also grab a friend and test stuff out with DI, again this stuff could have been found pretty easy. For the record, FG isn't the lab to me. I see it as trash, but I'm still going to play on it lol.

Izaw is out here making Zero and M2K look like slouches.

Most impressive Cloud demo I've ever seen.
In all fairness Izaw makes most people look like slouches when it comes to character guides in all honesty. His patience, presentation, and commentery is fantastic. Izaw was one of if not the first to do a very in depth Perfect Pivot guide. I personally feel his guides are unmatched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom