• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur As A DLC! - VOTE NOW FOR HIM IN THE SMASH BALLOT!!

Fogs

Smash Cadet
Yes, I'll support too.
It's outrageous that veterans with original movesets would ever be cut to begin with. What a world...

D

Deleted member

Hi Ivysaur fans, I hope you haven't all lost hope completely. :)

Here is what I think:
:pichumelee: He needs some new moves to elongate his range, and get the electricity out of his forward, and down areals. Then he needs his back areal, and his up, down and forward smashes to get some more range, use electricity, and have as much force as Ganondorf's back areal, up, down, and forward smashes. He needs a new neutral special so that it's not electric or more usefull. (I had the idea of giving him Volt Switch) And Thunder needs much more KO power if you hit Pichu with it.
:younglinkmelee: I can see him becoming a combo based character as opposed to the power based :4link:, and the projectile based :4tlink:.
:popo: In theory all Nana needs is Luma's AI and limitations, the ability to be launched farther before going into her tumbling animation, and both Popo and Nana need to be 8-bit on the 3Ds. (They can be in 3D on the Wii U.)
:ivysaur: I think he would benefit from the powder or spore moves. (I say or because DLC fighters don't have customs. :cry:)
:pt: If he joins, he will just act as the random button. Pick him, and it will randomly pick Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard. If you die, then he will pick the next in line as your next stock. This way it's not forced for you to learn them all, and you can just play the one by selecting them. I can see them giving him some victory animations. One of him praising each of his Pokémon.
:snake: I think Smash 4 physics is all he needs.
:squirtle: I would like him to have Water Pulse.
:wolf:Same as Snake
The only thing about :pichumelee: is it can't be too strong, that wouldn't make sense...maybe if it were more like Sonic, a really fast and pestering sort of character that knocks you about and can't be hit easily...

Not gonna lie, I would love if :younglinkmelee: came back, but only if his Majora's Mask incarnation were more represented than before. They've at least updated appearances of veterans, so he should this time sport the Hero's Shield and maybe the Razor Sword, 'cause everyone likes that one. His hoockshot should also be the yellow one that was in Majora's Mask. Maybe he could even shoot Ice Arrows this time instead of Fire Arrows, and his Final Smash would have to be turning into Fierce Deity Link, which is way cooler than the FS of the other Links...

:ivysaur: does have the issue of, if it came back, that it would probably need a new Up Special, since this time around no tether recoveries are tied to the Up Special. I vote get rid of Bullet Seed, make neutral special Vine Whip (or switched with Razor Leaf), make Up Special Leaf Storm or something that can lift Ivy up, and add in Sleep or Poison Powder as Down Special.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hi Ivysaur fans, I hope you haven't all lost hope completely. :)

The only thing about :pichumelee: is it can't be too strong, that wouldn't make sense...maybe if it were more like Sonic, a really fast and pestering sort of character that knocks you about and can't be hit easily...

Not gonna lie, I would love if :younglinkmelee: came back, but only if his Majora's Mask incarnation were more represented than before. They've at least updated appearances of veterans, so he should this time sport the Hero's Shield and maybe the Razor Sword, 'cause everyone likes that one. His hoockshot should also be the yellow one that was in Majora's Mask. Maybe he could even shoot Ice Arrows this time instead of Fire Arrows, and his Final Smash would have to be turning into Fierce Deity Link, which is way cooler than the FS of the other Links...

:ivysaur: does have the issue of, if it came back, that it would probably need a new Up Special, since this time around no tether recoveries are tied to the Up Special. I vote get rid of Bullet Seed, make neutral special Vine Whip (or switched with Razor Leaf), make Up Special Leaf Storm or something that can lift Ivy up, and add in Sleep or Poison Powder as Down Special.
I'm thinking that Pichu's only KO moves should be the Smashes, his Back Areal, and Thunder if he hits himself with it. In turn it has power that would be broken if Pichu didn't do a great amount of damage to himself. (not enough to automatically sway the match in the opponent's favor, but enough so that he can't spam them without putting himself in huge danger.)

That's a pretty good idea. I honestly don't think his special moves will be mask based, but the updated look would be great. I was thinking they could give him the Mirror Shield to allow him to reflect projectiles, but I don't know if they would put that creepy thing in the game. I think the Ice and Light arrows would be good custom specials (should he appear in the next game) and his Fire arrows should set the ground alight. And of course, Fierce Deity Link as a Final Smash is a must have.

I don't understand the mentality that all tether recoveries must go. :4zss:lost hers because three tether recoveries was redundant, and :4olimar:lost his because it was useless with only three Pikmin. Had :popo: joined the fray they would probably still have Belay. Ivyasur doesn't need the change. In fact, I think Vine Whip would be more useful than Leaf Storm because it could work as an anti-air tactic. I think Sleep Powder should be a custom as it isn't as useful as Poison Powder (damage over time) or Stun Spore (stuns opponents to set up combos.) Sleep Powder would be useful, but I think the other two would be more useful for stage control reasons because unlike sleep, poison and paralysis would work in the air.

D

Deleted member

That's a pretty good idea. I honestly don't think his special moves will be mask based, but the updated look would be great. I was thinking they could give him the Mirror Shield to allow him to reflect projectiles, but I don't know if they would put that creepy thing in the game. I think the Ice and Light arrows would be good custom specials (should he appear in the next game) and his Fire arrows should set the ground alight. And of course, Fierce Deity Link as a Final Smash is a must have.

I don't understand the mentality that all tether recoveries must go. :4zss:lost hers because three tether recoveries was redundant, and :4olimar:lost his because it was useless with only three Pikmin. Had :popo: joined the fray they would probably still have Belay. Ivyasur doesn't need the change. In fact, I think Vine Whip would be more useful than Leaf Storm because it could work as an anti-air tactic. I think Sleep Powder should be a custom as it isn't as useful as Poison Powder (damage over time) or Stun Spore (stuns opponents to set up combos.) Sleep Powder would be useful, but I think the other two would be more useful for stage control reasons because unlike sleep, poison and paralysis would work in the air.
Yeah, Mirror Shield could be cool too, as a neat little feature.

I think the 'mentality' about tether recoveries is simply based on the changes Sakurai made in Sm4sh, across the board. For example, along with all Up special tether recoveries, gliding and transformations have been removed, so suggesting that a new character should have any of those seems unlikely to actually be realized. But who knows, maybe if Ivysaur came back Vine Whip could still be his primary recovery; but you have to admit the current absence of any Up B tethers is a little suspicious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fogs

Smash Cadet
I think that Leaf storm could be cool for Ivy's up b (or maybe even replacing his neutral b?). It could work like Meta Knights tornado, except with some more vertical recovery, and maybe still allowing him to use his zair afterwards for tether recoveries (not putting him in helpless)

D

Deleted member

I think that Leaf storm could be cool for Ivy's up b (or maybe even replacing his neutral b?). It could work like Meta Knights tornado, except with some more vertical recovery, and maybe still allowing him to use his zair afterwards for tether recoveries (not putting him in helpless)
Thanks. Another idea for Ivy's up b that I've seen is Seed Bomb, which would propel it upward with the blast. There are options. :)

Fogs

Smash Cadet
Maybe Leaf Storm could be a weaker recovery option (neutral or down b?) that doesn't put him in helpless, allowing him to tether or Seed Bomb to follow up, and Seed Bomb would be a more "standard" recovery, that would cover greater distance, but put him in helpless. That would give him some recovery options to avoid being gimped maybe?

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I loved playing as Ivysaur back in Brawl and would to see him back (Along with Squirtle). Ivysaur had a fun moveset and we need a grass pokemon in smash.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Ivysaur returned I'd want a new Up-B and his Vine whip to become his Down-B, buffes to sprout two vines, one at 45 degrees in each direction.

As for the recovery, maybe leaf storm (egg move)

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
I realize the ballot is over, but can someone add me to the support list?

I don't know if anyone here followed it, but the source gaming poll finished: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/

I know Ivysaur and Squirtle don't have much support, but it's nice to see they both made the top 30 in the master poll, as well as the top 10 in their individual poll (which was on "de-confirmed" characters and veterans).

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
What if instead of :002: we get:003:? A little bit bigger but with more bulk and power, same moveset?

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
What if instead of :002: we get:003:? A little bit bigger but with more bulk and power, same moveset?
I'm not sure. Consider Sakurai's classic "Are the characters dancing?" I'm not Sakurai, but I do have a hard time imagining :003:, well, dancing. :002: though? She's a total ballerina.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So how many veterans haven't made it back into Smash 4 now?
-Young Link (kinda sorta)
- Pichu
- Ice Climbers
- Snake
- Wolf
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur

That's really not very many, considering the roster is over 50 characters by now. Plus many expect that Wolf will come back. They're so close...so close to bringing back every cut veteran. I don't care about some of them, but if the DLC team was committed to bringing back all the cut veterans....how glorious would that be?
#nooneleftbehind #exceptsnake #andprobablyiceclimberstoobecauseoftechnicallimitations #otherwisebringthemback

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
- Pichu
- Ice Climbers
- Snake
- Wolf
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur

That's really not very many, considering the roster is over 50 characters by now. Plus many expect that Wolf will come back. They're so close...so close to bringing back every cut veteran. I don't care about some of them, but if the DLC team was committed to bringing back all the cut veterans....how glorious would that be?
#nooneleftbehind #exceptsnake #andprobablyiceclimberstoobecauseoftechnicallimitations #otherwisebringthemback
Goodness your tags are savage hahahaha

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Not that it's a "bad" idea by any measure, but that's like replacing Pikachu with Raichu.
Ivysaur would naturally be programmed with more power to offset the former need to balance with Squirtle and Charizard.
It'd be like bringing Blastoise instead of Squirtle where you'd lose the dynamic of how small fast and agile Squirtle is.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
- Pichu
- Ice Climbers
- Snake
- Wolf
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur

Honestly, I would prefer Young Link to be left out for now. This way they can use in-game switching (with usage of his taunts instead of his down special.) to minimize the discontent of detractors that say he brings nothing to the table.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Honestly, I would prefer Young Link to be left out for now. This way they can use in-game switching (with usage of his taunts instead of his down special.) to minimize the discontent of detractors that say he brings nothing to the table.
Do you think in-game switching will come back for the next installment?
Because if it did they could bring back Young Link, and give him Deku, Zora and Goron transformations, thereby de-cloning him!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Do you think in-game switching will come back for the next installment?
Because if it did they could bring back Young Link, and give him Deku, Zora and Goron transformations, thereby de-cloning him!
It defintly could. If it did though I think it would just be reserved for Young Link and the Pokémon Trainer. I hope they would put the switch commands as the down and side taunt button. This way, it would not be intrusive and the characters would still be left with their up taunt. (There could also be an option to stop either character from switching.)

D

Deleted member

It defintly could. If it did though I think it would just be reserved for Young Link and the Pokémon Trainer. I hope they would put the switch commands as the down and side taunt button. This way, it would not be intrusive and the characters would still be left with their up taunt. (There could also be an option to stop either character from switching.)
I don't see how Pokemon Trainer would be brought back though, unless it were different Pokemon altogether (which would make me sad if Squirtle/Ivysaur didn't come back).
Otherwise, yeah, Young Link is really the perfect character for transformations and it's a pity nothing was done with it earlier. Everyone thought about it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I really want Ivysaur back and I am fairly confident she will come back with Squirtle someday. Oh and btw, Ivysaur is not a he.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't see how Pokemon Trainer would be brought back though, unless it were different Pokemon altogether (which would make me sad if Squirtle/Ivysaur didn't come back).
Otherwise, yeah, Young Link is really the perfect character for transformations and it's a pity nothing was done with it earlier. Everyone thought about it.
The Pokémon Trainer would regroup Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. You could have them be switch-able via their taunts, or have this feature ramoved by selecting one of the Pokémon specifically (Like you could do in Brawl).

I really want Ivysaur back and I am fairly confident she will come back with Squirtle someday. Oh and btw, Ivysaur is not a he.
We have had this argument before. Ivysaur have no gender differences. Venusaur do, but Ivysaur don't. Ivysaur has a masculine voice in Brawl so I will always refer to him as a boy. (Though I could use "it" like they do in the anime. Since there really is no way to know.)

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Ivysaur is referred to as a girl in Project M, I'm not sure if it's anywhere else.

I think that's why it's generally accepted.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ivysaur is referred to as a girl in Project M, I'm not sure if it's anywhere else.

I think that's why it's generally accepted.
People love it when they think they're being more correct than everyone else. But I don't think it really matters in this case. My friends think Marth is a girl though (they're joking).

Last edited by a moderator:

Furret24

Smash Master
I don't why, but I like the idea of Ivysaur being female.

So she's female in my eyes.

Zachary Smith

Smash Rookie
We have had this argument before. Ivysaur have no gender differences. Venusaur do, but Ivysaur don't. Ivysaur has a masculine voice in Brawl so I will always refer to him as a boy. (Though I could use "it" like they do in the anime. Since there really is no way to know.)
The debate on Ivysaur's gender is interesting. I think it's worth asking why it's so necessary to gender Pokémon at all in smash.

Still, with the dearth of female fighters in Smash, fans, me included, will take whatever they can get. And since Ivysaur was voiced by a woman in the Japanese version of Brawl, many accept Ivysaur as a female smasher.

If we continue on about gender, I warn everyone that I will begin to incessantly complain about how (apparently) very few people consider Paula from Earthbound when talking about DLC candidates. She has teddy bears! Bows! A frying pan! She, uh, prays.

#paula4smash #ivysaur4smash #squirtle4smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom