• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's About Time I Joined These Boards

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Hey there. I'm Seal. I really should have joined these forums a long time ago, but better late than never, huh?

I've been playing Smash Bros for 10 years now. I started playing Melee when I was only 6 (I'm currently 16). I started by maining Mewtwo and Mario because they were my two favorite video game characters. I have fond memories of coming home to play it with my brothers or having friends over to play.

I was still garbage at the game when Brawl came out in 2008, but I was older (9) and ready to step into the next generation of Smash Bros. When I started the game, my brothers and I were very hyped. The character list was so much bigger, but we knew we still had a lot to unlock. I had a blast going through the Subspace Emissary for the first time and unlocking so many new characters.

When we were finished, I realized that I didn't like playing Mario any more and they removed Mewtwo, so I was going to have to find a new main. I originally went with Lucario because I thought he'd be a Mewtwo clone, but I was wrong. A character that I enjoyed playing during Subspace was Meta Knight. I liked his attack speed, power, and mobility a lot, so I decided to start playing him. I got quite good at Meta Knight and mastered (at least, I thought I had) getting people with his USpecial and DSmash, my two favorite of his finishers.

Back in 2011 was when I first learned about competitive Smash Bros and hardcore play. I saw the WOMBO COMBO video (which I found hilarious as a 12 year old) and the entire match, and wondered why people were playing Melee and why it was so important. It was then that I discovered tiers, tourneys, and the differences between hardcore and casual players. I realized that there was a lot I didn't know about in Smash Bros. I read about many advanced techs in Melee, but never managed to do them myself, so I quit and went back to Brawl. Around this time I also bought SSB64 on the Wii virtual console. I mained Mario because he's the one whose style I know best.

When Smash Bros 4 was announced for the WiiU, I wanted it but wasn't sure if I'd be willing to get a WiiU for only it. I still haven't gotten it, but I'm still very interested in playing it one day.

Last year (2013), my brother was talking about a game called Project M. I asked him about it, and he said that it was a mod for Brawl that made it more like Melee, but kept all the characters and made them all pretty balanced (except Olimar). He downloaded it and we spent hours fighting away on it. Since it was more like Melee, I picked up Mario again and absolutely loved what they did with him. I now consider Project M Mario my best in any SSB game.

The reason that I joined these forums is because I'd like to get to know others who share a love for the Smash Bros series. I'm also looking for an active online community that I'll be welcome to participate in. I'm sure I'll fit right in here.

I have never been to a Smash Bros tournament, but I feel that I'd greatly enjoy going, even though I wouldn't be able to keep up with the players who have mastered advanced techs.

I do have one question for you guys: In the past three months, my Wii has stopped reading game discs completely. I read somewhere that I need to buy a new laser lens. Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, I'm very happy to be joining you guys. If you have any questions about me, feel free to ask and I will likely share.

-Seal

Last edited:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Hey Seal, welcome to SWF!

Tourneys and events are pretty fun to go to, even if you feel like your skill doesn't match up with others. I am pretty much terrible at all Smash games and I still try to go when I can. In the end it's all about having fun anyway. Plus, the more you go the more you'll learn.

It is a very common problem with Wii's breaking down and becoming unable to read discs anymore, it happened to my Wii, as well as several of my friend's Wiis as well. I believe that you are correct in having to get a new lens to fix the problem. What's happened is your disc reader has given out, typically caused from too much use. I've heard that it costs around 40 dollars to fix. I didn't end up fixing mine; but I know that people have had success with theirs becoming functional again with that amount of funding.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Hey man! Welcome to the forums. Idk how to fix your wii problem but I had the same kind of issue for a while. I just ended up getting a new wii but idk anything about what was wrong with my old one. Regardless welcome and enjoy your stay dude

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the welcomes! It's great to see that people are friendly and glad to have me.

As for fixing my Wii, I'll see where I can get a laser lens. I am also considering just getting a WiiU and Smash4. When I think about it though, that's over $300 AND it can't play GameCube games... So I'm left with the options of:

A. Buy a new laser lens.

B. Buy a WiiU.

C. Buy both.

Last edited:

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Special option d: buy all of them and send it to me :p
Ahaha that's good man, you should be smashing at full capacity soon then.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm still debating with myself which is the best deal.

But how can I resist option D?

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
It's official! You heard it here folks! He wants the d...
Just kidding man, but good luck with your wii troubles

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Well... I was playing Smash 64 on the virtual console today when I saw that my Wii actually read the disc inside. Luckily it was Melee, so I'm leaving my Wii on with Melee open. Not gonna risk turning it off or changing discs.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
It very well may be fixed (no idea how), I'm just not sure if its worth the risk to try to play some Project M. I'll give it a day or two.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I tried playing Project M, but my Wii wouldn't read the brawl disc. Luckily when I put Melee back in, the Wii still read it. Anyone know why it might read Melee and not brawl? Should I try other Wii and GameCube discs to see if it just can't read Wii discs?

D

Deleted member

I think it's the Brawl dual layer disc problem old Wii consoles have. Did you get a disc cleaner accessory for use on the Wii? That might help.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I was told at gamestop that there were no available lens cleaners within 50 miles of me.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Welcome 2 Smashboards!
Check out the regional zones section to find smashers nearby or the NNID/FC sharing thread to find online opponents!

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Today I decided that I needed to try out a new character, so I went with shiek. I've watched a few videos and got the dthrow, fair, and switch to Zelda for recovery down, but is there anything else I should be sure to learn?

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
Today I decided that I needed to try out a new character, so I went with shiek. I've watched a few videos and got the dthrow, fair, and switch to Zelda for recovery down, but is there anything else I should be sure to learn?
I'm assuming you know all the "basic" advanced techs right? Short hopping, wave dashing, L-cancel, shield grabbing, and edge hogging/guarding to name a few?

Seal

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming you know all the "basic" advanced techs right? Short hopping, wave dashing, L-cancel, shield grabbing, and edge hogging/guarding to name a few?
I've got edge hogging down and a decent handle with short hopping, but I could definitely use practice with the rest. The one I'd like to get down really well is shield grabbing.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
I've got edge hogging down and a decent handle with short hopping, but I could definitely use practice with the rest. The one I'd like to get down really well is shield grabbing.
Shield grabbing is extremely simple mechanically. It just comes down to timing and game knowledge. Just press A while shielded. The hard part is knowing when to Shieldgrab, and actually doing it based on instinct. If you're purposely practicing shieldgrabs than yea, it's easy. But when it's the last thing on your mind and all of a sudden a Falcon raptor boosts straight into you, you need to have the presence of mind to shield it and press A, as oppose to just jumping away or reacting with another attack or whatever. That only comes with experience. Go to vs. mode, and select a level 9 Falcon. Pick any of these maps,

Dream Land
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Arena
FD
Battlefield

And just focus on shielding his telegraphed attacks and his quick jabs, than jabbing. Don't attack, simply run around. This is also a good way to practice wave dashing. Wave dash away from his quick attacks than wave dash back in with whatever you Marios do. Us Marth's would react with a tipper or a grab. Just focus on only wave dashing and shielding, with the occasional roll mixed in. Don't do full hops away and such. I'm a Marth main so I don't know how Mario works, but that's what I'm doing now; and it's really helping.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Shield grabbing is extremely simple mechanically. It just comes down to timing and game knowledge. Just press A while shielded. The hard part is knowing when to Shieldgrab, and actually doing it based on instinct. If you're purposely practicing shieldgrabs than yea, it's easy. But when it's the last thing on your mind and all of a sudden a Falcon raptor boosts straight into you, you need to have the presence of mind to shield it and press A, as oppose to just jumping away or reacting with another attack or whatever. That only comes with experience. Go to vs. mode, and select a level 9 Falcon. Pick any of these maps,

Dream Land
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Arena
FD
Battlefield

And just focus on shielding his telegraphed attacks and his quick jabs, than jabbing. Don't attack, simply run around. This is also a good way to practice wave dashing. Wave dash away from his quick attacks than wave dash back in with whatever you Marios do. Us Marth's would react with a tipper or a grab. Just focus on only wave dashing and shielding, with the occasional roll mixed in. Don't do full hops away and such. I'm a Marth main so I don't know how Mario works, but that's what I'm doing now; and it's really helping.
That's a very helpful explanation. I'll go try it out with Mario and Shiek tomorrow and report back with results.

ItsChon

Smash Apprentice
That's a very helpful explanation. I'll go try it out with Mario and Shiek tomorrow and report back with results.
Oh, and typo. Go against a Level 7. Never against a level 9. You develop bad habits, plus they have poor DI.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Oh, and typo. Go against a Level 7. Never against a level 9. You develop bad habits, plus they have poor DI.
I tried it out and it's quite easier than I imagined. I went to FD and just ran across from him, shielded raptor boost, and grabbed him, and repeated until I got it down.

Seal

Smash Journeyman
My wii isn't even reading melee anymore. Damn.

EDIT: It works again!

Last edited:

Seal

Smash Journeyman
Just bought the WiiU and new smash! So excited!

(Too bad there's a long setup)

Top Bottom