• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
If you use Mind Read on one of the trees in Kolima, it will say, "I dreamt that a mighty warrior with a thick beard ended this curse. I dream about him a lot, actually..."

Isaac doesn't have a beard. Yet. :awesome:
It is obviously talking about Kraden. All hail Kraden! #Kraden4Smash

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I saw a little bit of hate for veteran characters returning like Wolf and Roy, as well as clone characters.

Let me just say that I personally don't mind veteran characters coming back as long as they're unique or highly popular.

Wolf, Mewtwo, and Roy are all both of these things. Obviously Roy is highly popular in the Smash community, and a lot of people like that boy!! And I'm one of them. He's damn cool! And he's absolutely the most "Firey" Fire Emblem character, so I'm glad to see him back. Mewtwo returned on popularity alone. He was so rallied for that the devs couldn't ignore the fan's cry for him, AND he's a unique fighter in his own right. And Mr. O'Donnell was both a popular character AND a farily unique take on the Spacies' Movesets. I don't necessarily think that all veteran characters should return though. Ice Climbers, as cool as an idea as they were. were always kind of janky and sort of broken. Besides that, it's not like their appearance in Melee or Brawl skyrocketed their popularity the way Marth and Pit had. Pichu is stupid, and I seriously don't think a single person cares about him. Even hardcore Pokemon fans would rather just see Pikachu. Young Link basically transformed into Toon Link, and I think Toon Link is much better. He just stands out more as a different branch of the Zelda franchise. There are still Toon Zelda games being made today, and It's nice to have a representative for all of the Toon Zelda games, if we can assume Link Prime is a representative for the more realistic style the games take on. Finally, there's Snake. I don't really see this happening, since Konami are a bunch of assholes, and Kojima isn't working for them anymore. If it DID happen by some miracle, I wouldn't exactly hate it, but characters like Isaac, and even K. Rool, as much as I hate that Croc, deserve to be in the game before Snake does.

I think the idea that all Star Fox characters are just Fox clones is a bit ridiculous. Fox and Falco in Smash 4 are so wildly different that just because their moves are superficially similar doesn't really make them clones. In fact, the same could be said of Ganondorf and C. Falcon, and Link and Toon Link. I don't consider characters like these "Clones" in any fashion, as they're all really REALLY different in how you're supposed to play them, and in how their animations and properties work. Sure, Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm are basically the same move. Sure, Warlock Punch and Falcon Punch are superficially similar. And of course Roy uses moves VERY similar to the Falchion's. But I don't feel that this invalidates the existence of these characters.

Obviously people were pretty salty when they found out about Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. And I'll admit-- Even I don't really see the point of Dr. Mario when P:M handled it so much more sensibly and tastefully than to just give him his own slot. And as a huge HUGE fan of Pit, Palutena, and the Kid Icarus franchise, I was one of the people who MOST argued that Dark Pit should have been simply an alternate costume, with different voice clips and different effects and just maybe different victory poses. However, learning that these characters were SUPPOSED to be costumes, but were given slightly unique properties and their own spots on the roster from THE MAN HIMSELF, I can't really bring myself to be upset about it. They didn't take much development time to make, and it expands the roster even further with slightly different tools to mess around with.

Basically, I'm quite happy with the roster as it is, and it only stands to get better. I won't complain about more content.

Anyway, this thread is about Isaac so I should probably be talking a little more about him. I see some people are really confident about his inclusion? I always have been of course, but it sounds like some people have found some sort of poll or something that has raised their spirits even more? It just seemed that way, so if it's not the case then that's fine, but if so I would love to see it!

I voted for him a total of.... Gosh, I think it must have been... 5 or 6 times myself on various devices in various locations, and I also convinced several of my friends to vote for him as well. I can't remember exactly how many people that was, but I think it had to be 3 or 4 at least, if not more. That's minimum like 8 votes, max like... 11-12?

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Despite having similar special moves to Fox, Wolf had a completely different playstyle. It's not like he was an outright clone like Dark Pit. That said, I wouldn't mind him returning. The biggest reason why I see him returning, aside from demand, is to promote Starfox Zero.

On topic: Bluntly put, the reason I have high hopes for Isaac is that he's unique and Sakurai knows it--and the Ballot was just what we needed to draw attention to Isaac. Clones aside, pretty much every newcomer in Smash 4 features a new and totally unique playstyle, which goes to show that Sakurai, bluntly put, is looking for unique characters. And something tells me that vote quantity won't be the sole dictator of a character's inclusion.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I saw a little bit of hate for veteran characters returning like Wolf and Roy, as well as clone characters.

Let me just say that I personally don't mind veteran characters coming back as long as they're unique or highly popular.

Wolf, Mewtwo, and Roy are all both of these things. Obviously Roy is highly popular in the Smash community, and a lot of people like that boy!! And I'm one of them. He's damn cool! And he's absolutely the most "Firey" Fire Emblem character, so I'm glad to see him back. Mewtwo returned on popularity alone. He was so rallied for that the devs couldn't ignore the fan's cry for him, AND he's a unique fighter in his own right. And Mr. O'Donnell was both a popular character AND a farily unique take on the Spacies' Movesets. I don't necessarily think that all veteran characters should return though. Ice Climbers, as cool as an idea as they were. were always kind of janky and sort of broken. Besides that, it's not like their appearance in Melee or Brawl skyrocketed their popularity the way Marth and Pit had. Pichu is stupid, and I seriously don't think a single person cares about him. Even hardcore Pokemon fans would rather just see Pikachu. Young Link basically transformed into Toon Link, and I think Toon Link is much better. He just stands out more as a different branch of the Zelda franchise. There are still Toon Zelda games being made today, and It's nice to have a representative for all of the Toon Zelda games, if we can assume Link Prime is a representative for the more realistic style the games take on. Finally, there's Snake. I don't really see this happening, since Konami are a bunch of ********, and Kojima isn't working for them anymore. If it DID happen by some miracle, I wouldn't exactly hate it, but characters like Isaac, and even K. Rool, as much as I hate that Croc, deserve to be in the game before Snake does.

I think the idea that all Star Fox characters are just Fox clones is a bit ridiculous. Fox and Falco in Smash 4 are so wildly different that just because their moves are superficially similar doesn't really make them clones. In fact, the same could be said of Ganondorf and C. Falcon, and Link and Toon Link. I don't consider characters like these "Clones" in any fashion, as they're all really REALLY different in how you're supposed to play them, and in how their animations and properties work. Sure, Fox Illusion and Falco Phantasm are basically the same move. Sure, Warlock Punch and Falcon Punch are superficially similar. And of course Roy uses moves VERY similar to the Falchion's. But I don't feel that this invalidates the existence of these characters.

Obviously people were pretty salty when they found out about Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario. And I'll admit-- Even I don't really see the point of Dr. Mario when P:M handled it so much more sensibly and tastefully than to just give him his own slot. And as a huge HUGE fan of Pit, Palutena, and the Kid Icarus franchise, I was one of the people who MOST argued that Dark Pit should have been simply an alternate costume, with different voice clips and different effects and just maybe different victory poses. However, learning that these characters were SUPPOSED to be costumes, but were given slightly unique properties and their own spots on the roster from THE MAN HIMSELF, I can't really bring myself to be upset about it. They didn't take much development time to make, and it expands the roster even further with slightly different tools to mess around with.

Basically, I'm quite happy with the roster as it is, and it only stands to get better. I won't complain about more content.

Anyway, this thread is about Isaac so I should probably be talking a little more about him. I see some people are really confident about his inclusion? I always have been of course, but it sounds like some people have found some sort of poll or something that has raised their spirits even more? It just seemed that way, so if it's not the case then that's fine, but if so I would love to see it!

I voted for him a total of.... Gosh, I think it must have been... 5 or 6 times myself on various devices in various locations, and I also convinced several of my friends to vote for him as well. I can't remember exactly how many people that was, but I think it had to be 3 or 4 at least, if not more. That's minimum like 8 votes, max like... 11-12?
I care about Pichu, actually. He was ridiculous and incredibly fun to play as, even if he was not a great character.

I have no problem with returning veterans. I'd love to see them all back.

I have a problem with returning veterans for the ballot.

If Wolf gets in as a "ballot winner", I'm going to be upset. We have an opportunity to get new, unique, and interesting characters from under-represented IP, and instead we get a retread who should have already been in the game? No.

Wolf had his chance in the spotlight, and so many other characters haven't. Star Fox still has two reps. Let's say that Golden Sun was in that position. We had Isaac, Jenna, and Alex in Smash 4, and Alex got cut from Smash 5. Would I be happy? No. Should he make it to the next game? Yes. But would I waste a ballot choice on him when there are so many other characters and franchises left unrepresented? No. He had his moment in the (Golden) sun. He had an opportunity so few characters get.

I understand wanting him back in. But we have a unique opportunity in the ballot to get in so many new characters, from new series, who could represent more and could bring more uniqueness to the roster.

Should Wolf make it in? Yes. Should Pichu make it in? Yes.

Should any of these veterans be chosen over new choices like Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Ray Mk III, K. Rool, Ridley, etcetera? No. When you have such a huge opportunity to do something new, something unique, and something awesome, why would you waste it on something we've already seen before?

Last edited:

Tahu Mata

Smash Lord
Well, for the final moments of the Ballot, I put in my vote of Isaac for you guys. While I know little about Golden Sun, I did research on him and I think he would be a great addition, so I wish good luck to all of you.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Well, for the final moments of the Ballot, I put in my vote of Isaac for you guys. While I know little about Golden Sun, I did research on him and I think he would be a great addition, so I wish good luck to all of you.
Why thank you. The effort -- no, the attention is appreciated!

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I care about Pichu, actually. He was ridiculous and incredibly fun to play as, even if he was not a great character.
I stand corrected. I guess I just don't get the appeal of him. It seems to me like people who are super into Pokemon are super into Pikachu. You know, since Nintendo is always shoving him down our throats.

That said, I bet Pichu would be SOOOO cute with the HD graphics.

Liverpool19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Clemo13
Well I voted again, not sure if it counts, because where I live it's the 5th today soooo yeeeeaah. Go Isaac!

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
At this point I'm just wondering about all the ways some suggestions could be discarded: Sending multiple suggestions, sending them after the "end" of the Ballot...

The whole organisation of the Ballot is strange and vague, imo.
How did they managed to avoid spam, and all of that. We talked of IP but there's ways to cheat a little bit by using different computers, etc.

I don't know if that plays against Isaac and if yes, how much? Too many questions at this point, it's annoying and tiring.

Also I'm kinda sad because Iwata introduced the idea in a Direct and he will never see the results... :crying:

Ah well... One thing must be said again: Even if Isaac doesn't get in, if we stop campaigning for Golden Sun 4, then it will be over.
So I hope you're all ready to continue for a long time to make the Sun rise again!

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The Japanese Ballot site has finally stopped accepting votes and has a Thank You (or rather, ありがとうございました) on the site.

It's only a while till we see Thank You, Merci Beaucoup and Danke Schön on the other sites. Then his fate will be sealed.

:231:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I think it's inevitable that people are going to find ways to try and cheat a system like this, especially since it's gone so largely unexplained. You would think that, if they do another Ballot in the future, they should probably put some kind of "terms and conditions" page on the website that we can read so we know exactly what we're getting into when we vote.

If voting multiple times on the same device only counts as one vote or is disqualified for spam...

If it tracks your IP Address...

If multiple devices from the same IP Address count as multiple votes, or only one is allowed per household...

If Public computers count (Which I can't imagine they don't.)

How the characters are chosen EXACTLY...

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
If you use Mind Read on one of the trees in Kolima, it will say, "I dreamt that a mighty warrior with a thick beard ended this curse. I dream about him a lot, actually..."

Isaac doesn't have a beard. Yet. :awesome:
It is obviously talking about Kraden. All hail Kraden! #Kraden4Smash
This might actually be more realistic.

Let's face: Isaac's beard is impressive, but it isn't THAT impressive:

Now the agonizing waiting game begins. We need to find a way to make it less agonizing and more fun.

The only way I can think of is to hypothesize the mechanics of a Golden Sun MMO or Pen 'n Paper RPG...

Last edited:

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, this may be a bit taboo to say, but I just now realized I would almost prefer Isaac's DD design if he were to get in.
I think smashified may have had something to do with that though, I think their render looked... awkward.
Then again, at this point I am just rooting for GS representation in general.
Isaac, Matthew, Felix; I don't even care. Just give me an adept.
For now I wait with bated breath.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Y'know, this may be a bit taboo to say, but I just now realized I would almost prefer Isaac's DD design if he were to get in.
I think smashified may have had something to do with that though, I think their render looked... awkward.
Then again, at this point I am just rooting for GS representation in general.
Isaac, Matthew, Felix; I don't even care. Just give me an adept.
For now I wait with bated breath.
I'd prefer a crossover thing. Cross between Dark Dawn and GS.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
What I wonder is: In battle, Adult Isaac uses that big ass sword. If they were to use that look, would he use the gigantic sword?
Because I fear that would make him more focused on his weapon than if he was Young Isaac with the small sword. Otherwise besides being slow as hell, he would be pretty OP.

That being said, on the Dark Dawn artwork, he has a normal-sized sword, sooo...

Edit: Otherwise, I personally wouldn't care, I love all the looks. Young? Perfect. Adult? Badass beard, it's a win. Matthew? Sure, that could even be better for a possible 4th game and his design is rad.

Last edited:

Liverpool19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Clemo13
Even though I have never played DD, I won't mind if Adult Isaac got in, although I would prefer Young Isaac because he is definitely is the more iconic and he has a quite like-able character (well at least in TLA), I don't any of Adult Isaac's actions(the only thing in DD I do know is the basic plot). Although a hybrid between the two would be cool. Still waiting...

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Well, the ballot is over in every country.

For the people who doesn't live in USA, how good is Isaac doing in your country? From what I can read in forums in Spain, Hans (the spanish name of him) is one of the top contender, probably between the 2nd and 3rd (The funny thing is that the first one is probably Bayonetta).

PD: Sorry for bad english :p

Staarih

Smash Master
After postponing it for so long, I finally began with Dark Dawn today and I'm really enjoying it so far. I find the graphics really nice and while there seem to be a lot of dialogue (as usual) I like how there's a lot of humor involved too. I especially like all the references to the first two games, which I guess is logical as everything takes place after the events in those... The Psynergy Training Grounds were amazing and recapped the lighting of the lighthouses well and in a funny manner haha! Will slowly continue on whenever I have the time...

As for the matter of adult Isaac in Smash, I guess I wouldn't mind it, but young Isaac is definitely the more iconic one. An updated look of him with some hints of adult Isaac (and maybe Matthew) yet still being young and recognizable as such would be great.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I'd prefer a crossover thing. Cross between Dark Dawn and GS.
This. I would like his design to be tweaked a little to reflect both Matthew and Isaac, Alternatively, it might be cool to give Old Man Isaac's cool trenchcoat to YOUNG Isaac. Now that would be BALLER.

Of course, They may choose to go with his more iconic design, which I cna also get behind. Although honestly I actually prefer Matthew's design most of all. It was always weird to me that Isaac looked so Knightly, and was clad in such heavy armor when really he's all about jumping around in ruins and spelunking. Matthew's design is much more suited to this, as he's wearing light denim and is equipped with several tools like clocks, compasses, pouches, etc.

I really hate the Smashified render. It's easily the worst Smashified render that they've done. His eyes look dead, his hair look like garbo, and his outfit looks dirty. His pose is awkward, as it seems like they don't really understand what Isaac is supposed to be doing when he makes that pose, and his sword honestly looks like a toy. It's ODD, because I know that it's actually a 3D Render, and I watched them put it together, but the framing of the whole thing makes it look so flat. Plus, even though a tattered scarf is pretty cool, it did bug me a little that it was that messed up. That's Isaac's golden Scarf, man! DON'T **** THAT UP!

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace

For the people who doesn't live in USA, how good is Isaac doing in your country? From what I can read in forums in Spain, Hans (the spanish name of him) is one of the top contender, probably between the 2nd and 3rd (The funny thing is that the first one is probably Bayonetta).

Never saw in this thread, welcome.
Here at Portugal, Isaac is a relatively popular pick, I guess he is the 5th most voted character (Wolf at 1st, Snake at 2nd, Shovel Knight at 3rd, Inkling at 4th and Isaac at 5th). Of course with the help of some friends and with the multiple computers my University has, I managed to gather more than 10 votes.

As for the look of Isaac, I hope they go with normal Isaac (or young Isaac, but I rather call Young Isaac to the 14 year old Isaac that is a generic anime swordsman, since he doesn't have his Psynergy yet :troll: kthxbye), although his Adult look is also pretty cool, I would like Isaac to wear his normal clothes that we know (I saw that some of us wanted some sort of combination of his young and older look, because the Smashified render looked weird, but then, Sakurai's team will be the one rendering Isaac, not Smashified).

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice

Don't worry about it!

He's also doing well here in the USA. He's got to be consistently 4th or 5th here, which isn't too bad at all.
Never saw in this thread, welcome.
Here at Portugal, Isaac is a relatively popular pick, I guess he is the 5th most voted character (Wolf at 1st, Snake at 2nd, Shovel Knight at 3rd, Inkling at 4th and Isaac at 5th). Of course with the help of some friends and with the multiple computers my University has, I managed to gather more than 10 votes.

As for the look of Isaac, I hope they go with normal Isaac (or young Isaac, but I rather call Young Isaac to the 14 year old Isaac that is a generic anime swordsman, since he doesn't have his Psynergy yet :troll: kthxbye), although his Adult look is also pretty cool, I would like Isaac to wear his normal clothes that we know (I saw that some of us wanted some sort of combination of his young and older look, because the Smashified render looked weird, but then, Sakurai's team will be the one rendering Isaac, not Smashified).
When I say "Young" I don't mean like, prologue Isaac. No, no. I mean how he appears in the series at large.

Let's be honest though, I think we all enjoy Isaac for his spike-haired anime self a little more than Dad Isaac. Dad Isaac is cool in his own right, to be sure, but it's not really how we came to love the character.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I guess it's truly over now. The link in my signature now says that the ballot has closed.

I guess there's nothing to do but wait. And pray to whatever deity motivates us that we don't end up in the salt mines.

As for which Isaac is used (GBA or DS) I don't care. As long as Isaac isn't a dumbass Mii costume. However, I think the GBA is more iconic.

Remember: If Isaac gets in, no matter which Isaac got in (GBA, DS or both) Isaac still got in. And thus he is a fighter. If someone is salty because Isaac is in his GBA form and not his DS form, or vice versa, smack yourself until you have achieved enlightenment. And that enlightenment is the realization that Isaac is a playable fighter in Super Smash Brothers 4.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
Voted for Isaac every possible chance I had!

I think another way to make Isaac unique is to give him the Olimar/Alph treatment! (Don't know if this idea has been mentioned before because I'm new to this thread) but give him different costume options. I was thinking either allow you to choose between Isaac and Matthew OR young Isaac and Manly Isaac! What do you guys think?

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Voted for Isaac every possible chance I had!

I think another way to make Isaac unique is to give him the Olimar/Alph treatment! (Don't know if this idea has been mentioned before because I'm new to this thread) but give him different costume options. I was thinking either allow you to choose between Isaac and Matthew OR young Isaac and Manly Isaac! What do you guys think?
First of all, welcome to the thread, it's always nice to see new supporters.

As for the alt idea, we already talked about that and imo, I totally agree with Isaac having a Matthew alt. Another good idea was Felix and so is Adult Isaac. I've I had to choose between those 3, I would go with Matthew.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I think giving him a "Matthew" alt makes the most sense since they're more or less the same exact character. I like the idea of Felix being there too somehow, but I think Isaac and Matthew are too significant and outshine Felix.

I hope this does happen! It would be really cool to have 4 costumes based on Isaac, Garet, Felix, and Jenna, and then have Matthew with colors representing himself, Sveta, Tyrell, and Karis.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I do have poor health...

Am I the only one who cares about this, because this is a big deal. There are so many characters in Xenoblade Chronicles, how could you only like one?
It's because I try to find one thing I like in something I absolutely didn't like at all. And Fiora was interesting. That's all I'm willing to say.

As for Isaac having alternates, it would be interesting, but I still think Isaac will have color alts, but not an actual Matthew alternate.

Well, it's gonna be until mid November, at the earliest, where we find out for sure what those 3 empty slots represent. I'm amazed so many people assumed that the day after the ballots closed, we'd get a response automatically.

XTremeGamer1234

Smash Rookie
If Isaac does make it in, do you think they will mix both young and old Isaac together? Can that be a possibility?

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
If Isaac does make it in, do you think they will mix both young and old Isaac together? Can that be a possibility?
Personally, I really hope not.

Besides, I think Roy is a different circumstance. The different iterations of Roy are literally just different iterations of him at the same age, right? So it makes a little more sense to try to blend his appearance. Isaac's different iterations, however, are at completely different ages. If I'm making any sense, here?

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880

Here in France, "Vlad" is probably a bit more popular than in the US, which is nice. The other popular characters are generally about as popular as they are in the US, though I feel like K. Rool is a tiny bit less popular and seems talked about less. Shovel Knight is in front of Shantae, but the two are less popular than in the US.
Though that may just be how I perceive it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'd be interested in seeing a hybrid version of Isaac too. It worked amazingly well with Roy, so I'd be pleased with the blending of the original and Dark Dawn if they decided to go with that.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
This image isn't a Lighthouse. In fact, it has no bearing on Golden Sun. Nevertheless, based on it, which lighthouse (if any) do you think it could be?

Now if someone were to draw an image of a lighthouse in this panoramic/cinematic/landscape style, that would be fricken awesome.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
Premium
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Interesting. I actually think the Jupiter since Jupiter is the only one surrounded by mountains. Mercury and Venus are on coasts and Mars is surrounded by, well... A rampaging tempest heralding the end of the world.

As an aside, does anyone know what it REALLY is???

Last edited:
Top Bottom