• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there any difference at all playing Melee on a GCN or a Wii?

NeoGC

Smash Rookie
NNID
NeoGC64
3DS FC
4914-3214-6776
^Thread. I ask this because I swear I've seen a few people who insist on having Gamecubes for Smashfests instead of Wiis. IIRC The Wii's processor is basically an overclocked Gamecube one, but I'm not sure. It just seems weird that some people prefer and stick by Gamecubes when the Wii's backwards compatibility is pretty much identical.

Is there any discernable difference playing Smash between the two at all? I'm just trying to settle my curiosity if there are ANY differences whatsoever between the two.

Gamecubes are just easier to set up because you can just turn it on and it will play Melee. To play Melee on a Wii, you need a wiimote + either a sensor bar or a classic pad. That's so much hassle. Isn't a Wii meant for casual players?

There is no difference between the 2 consoles, aside from a slightly better picture on the Wii

Massive

Smash Champion
^Thread. I ask this because I swear I've seen a few people who insist on having Gamecubes for Smashfests instead of Wiis. IIRC The Wii's processor is basically an overclocked Gamecube one, but I'm not sure. It just seems weird that some people prefer and stick by Gamecubes when the Wii's backwards compatibility is pretty much identical.

Is there any discernable difference playing Smash between the two at all? I'm just trying to settle my curiosity if there are ANY differences whatsoever between the two.
The wii outputs a slightly different image from the gamecube (colors are less saturated and the picture is a bit sharper from the wii).
The wii is also a lot easier to get component video cables for, so you can benefit from TVs supporting progressive scan more effectively.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I have both a gamecube and a Wii and I almost always default to my Wii for the better picture quality I get from the component cables. No difference when playing at all.

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
what about playing on dolphin emulator ? Im playing on a dolphin emulator and a nice monitor with 1ms response time. Is it gonna be really different than GC with CRT ?

FoxeR

Smash Cadet
BenQ XL2420Z

right now my only way to play melee is on it with dolphin so hopefully its not too bad

NeoGC

Smash Rookie
NNID
NeoGC64
3DS FC
4914-3214-6776
I would love to actually use Dolphin but my gaming PC uses an AMD processor, and if you don't have an Intel processor for Dolphin, you might as well not even bother, sadly. It runs like trash on anything that isn't Intel... ;(

Kadano

Magical Express
I would love to actually use Dolphin but my gaming PC uses an AMD processor, and if you don't have an Intel processor for Dolphin, you might as well not even bother, sadly. It runs like trash on anything that isn't Intel... ;(
I’ve read that the AMD FX-8350 works fine. Which one do you use?

There is no difference between the 2 consoles, aside from a slightly better picture on the Wii
The wii outputs a slightly different image from the gamecube (colors are less saturated and the picture is a bit sharper from the wii).
You got any sources with image comparisons for these claims? All I know is that the Gamecube’s component output is of considerably higher quality than that of the Wii. I remember those pictures where the Gamecube’s S-Video has these pattern artifacts which the Wii’s S-Video does not, but S-Video is obsolete anyway for high quality setups so whatever.

FoxeR

Smash Cadet

I have a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T and an Nvidia GTX 570. Is it going to run poorly for me ?

NeoGC

Smash Rookie
NNID
NeoGC64
3DS FC
4914-3214-6776
I have an AMD Athlon II x4 Quad Core CPU. A little budgety but a very solid CPU that's been good to me for all these years.

Massive

Smash Champion
This is straight up wrong.

Your clock speed is far more important than your processor type for gamecube emulation, since it relies so much on emulated instructions. Dolphin is not threaded in a very satisfying way, so multiple cores really don't help substantially, unfortunately.

I actually have an AMD FX-8350, and it works fantastically well.

Last edited:

NeoGC

Smash Rookie
NNID
NeoGC64
3DS FC
4914-3214-6776
This is straight up wrong.

Your clock speed is far more important than your processor type for gamecube emulation, since it relies so much on emulated instructions. Dolphin is not threaded in a very satisfying way, so multiple cores really don't help substantially, unfortunately.
Is that so? Hmm...My CPU runs at 3.10 GHz. Dolphin really struggles in every game I try however.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
People don't like playing Melee on a Wii because there's always that one guy who's going to suggest you play Project M and you don't want that to happen at a Melee tournament

People don't like playing Melee on a Wii because there's always that one guy who's going to suggest you play Project M and you don't want that to happen at a Melee tournament
For logistics, no. It's not too bad of a game though

Liamcal

Smash Rookie
I've owned a couple GCs over the years, both of which broke. They are a little less reliable IMO and I haven't bothered to buy a new one, so I just stick with a Wii. They are a bit more work, what with needing all sorts of appliances to even get to the GC screen, but meh. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom