• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Ryu going to be good?

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Before I say anything: I love Ryu. He's fun, he's got cool moves, and I don't plan to ever stop playing him.

As of late I've been having a bit of crisis with Ryu. Maybe MU wise.

Ryu is good, but he has a lot of bad or difficult MUs. Mac, ROB, Falcon, Pikachu, Fox, Olimar, etc. He struggles really bad against these few, and that's not even a huge list.

Will Ryu even end up being viable? He has a lot of poor MUs at this point that might hinder him in tournies. Maybe I'm just really bad at these MUs? I don't know, man.

I don't plan to drop Ryu but it's getting hard to gain hope in this character when you lose a billion MUs.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
He has top tier potential IMO.

In this game sheilding is ridiculously safe. But Ryu has some nice tools against shields. Mainly down B and strong F tilt. He also has crazy combo potential and a lot of KO moves which not every character has.
Ryu has it all, but it's going to take a bit because he came in so late and ppl are second guessing themselves to drop their current main.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Before I say anything: I love Ryu. He's fun, he's got cool moves, and I don't plan to ever stop playing him.

As of late I've been having a bit of crisis with Ryu. Maybe MU wise.

Ryu is good, but he has a lot of bad or difficult MUs. Mac, ROB, Falcon, Pikachu, Fox, Olimar, etc. He struggles really bad against these few, and that's not even a huge list.

Will Ryu even end up being viable? He has a lot of poor MUs at this point that might hinder him in tournies. Maybe I'm just really bad at these MUs? I don't know, man.

I don't plan to drop Ryu but it's getting hard to gain hope in this character when you lose a billion MUs.
Mac, Falcon and Fox?

wtf. yeah no. He eats all 3 of them. It just takes alot of dedication and skill

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Mac, Falcon and Fox?

I really struggle with the pikachu MU, especially at tournies. Any advice? He has so many multi hits. Thinking about switching to Yoshi for Ryus bad MUs.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Mac, Falcon and Fox?

Mac was just me being a bit upset with Ryu at the time, since I couldn't beat a friend's Mac with him. I'm a bit happier with him now, just wasn't sure what I wanted with Ryu.

I figured Falcon was okay, but he beats Fox? Most of the ones I face can give me trouble if they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
I Dont think RYU loses to R.O.B, like at all.

Ive Mained R.O.B since brawl and my Friends Ryu has surpassed me already

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Offline yeah its prolly even. Alot of my practice is online where runaway is much stronger. But offline where you can react instantly, then it's prolly closer to even. Any ROBs that have beaten me they barely did so. ROB is huge combo food and he cant kill that well. Also catching gyros to use vs him helps alot.

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
Offline yeah its prolly even. Alot of my practice is online where runaway is much stronger. But offline where you can react instantly, then it's prolly closer to even. Any ROBs that have beaten me they barely did so. ROB is huge combo food and he cant kill that well. Also catching gyros to use vs him helps alot.
I find R.O.B suffering when Ryu's up close due to his damage output and ROBS design, only victory i get involves a gyro set up or an error on the Ryu's behalf, i personally don't find it comfortable with it being even as off now, Minor Ryu advantage me thinks

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Yeah, Uair is basically the only reliable kill with ROB against Ryu. A lot of ROBs rely on the Usmash for kills but the focus attack negates that. If you're good at grabbing/avoiding the gyro, ROB isn't much of a problem.

What is your strategy against Ness/Lucas and Pikachu? Those are the MUs I am struggling with as Ryu by far. I find it very hard to land nairs, jabs, and tilts against these characters.

ShiroSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sycho-Ashura777
3DS FC
5026-4570-3155
Ryu is without a doubt A or B tier. He has so much untapped potential it's ridiculous.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Depends on how much practice you've made with him.
This post is killer old - honestly, I made it a long time ago when I was just down on my luck and I was thinking "with most of Ryu's MUs that seem bad, is he really gonna be good?"

I feel better about Ryu's MUs now, honestly.

SlurpySloth

Smash Apprentice
Well, near perfect frame data, more moves than any other character, a lagless kill move, amazing mobility... Yeah he's bad.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Well, near perfect frame data, more moves than any other character, a lagless kill move, amazing mobility... Yeah he's bad.
What do you mean "near perfect frame data"? What makes it better than other characters? Also, lol lagless kill move. It has about 10 frames of landing lag (the input version I mean. Up b has more). And that doesn't count falling time. And by amazing mobility, do you mean bc FADC and stuff? Bc his walk, run, and aerial acceleration are all pretty bad.

On the more moves front... Yeah that's true.

SlurpySloth

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean "near perfect frame data"? What makes it better than other characters? Also, lol lagless kill move. It has about 10 frames of landing lag (the input version I mean. Up b has more). And that doesn't count falling time. And by amazing mobility, do you mean bc FADC and stuff? Bc his walk, run, and aerial acceleration are all pretty bad.

I just said that he's bad.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136

His aerial acceleration is quite high. It's his deceleration that is bad. His run speed is above average. Same as Mario. His walk is bad and good thing it is. He would be bonkers with higher walk speed.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
His aerial acceleration is quite high. It's his deceleration that is bad. His run speed is above average. Same as Mario. His walk is bad and good thing it is. He would be bonkers with higher walk speed.
Yeah, that's about right. My mistake. And yeah, if he had a better walk speed, utilt "infinite" would be much more effective lol.

I just said that he's bad.

oh. I thought you were being sarcastic. It sure seemed like it....

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Isn't Ryu's walk actually good because of how quick he accelerates to his max walking speed? Also the reason why utilt locks work, he barely needs to spend time walking between the hits and he still moves a considerable amount. I find walk acceleration being a lot more important than max walk speed, although of course best case scenario is if both are high. IIRC Ryu and Samus accelerate to max speed faster than Fox, Marth and Sheik though.

MulfordnSons

Smash Rookie
NNID
MulfordnSons
Isn't Ryu's walk actually good because of how quick he accelerates to his max walking speed? Also the reason why utilt locks work, he barely needs to spend time walking between the hits and he still moves a considerable amount. I find walk acceleration being a lot more important than max walk speed, although of course best case scenario is if both are high. IIRC Ryu and Samus accelerate to max speed faster than Fox, Marth and Sheik though.
Dude, watched your YouTube vids...your falcon is sick lol

Top Bottom