• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is pivots desyncs the future?

Loket

Smash Cadet
I havent been on the boards for a good while but I wanna discuss pivots and all the applications for them.

IC has always had good defense/walling when positioned a bit away from the opponent but struggles in close combat due to limited Oos options and the fact that desyncs has some startup.
I think the more the metagame progresses the more mobile ICs have to be and not just stand in shield.

Pivot desyncs isnt anything new but its definitly underused and and can be explored further to make the micro game better with faster desyncs and more delicate spacing.

Thing I have incorperated into my game:

Pivot smashes > Nana shffl fair/autocancel uair
Aproaching with a smash and cathing their reatreat/whiff punish

Pivot Dmash/Fsmash > Nana blizzard/ ice block
Pretty much just a way to start up a desync wall but covering nana during her startup. Its also very fast and can be spaced very specificly in close combat

Pivot Dsmash > Nana SH autocancel Bair
Cool for shieldpressure! Pivot Dsmash is great since pivoting turns you around and Dsmash starts behind.

Pivot Fsmash > Nana grab
I LOVE THIS! Lock them in shieldstun and grab makes you feel like a peach!

There are obviously still infinite amound of stuff to try out with this technique.
Discuss! :)

I could upload a video where i demonstrate these things, but the quality wont be that great...

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Yep, the ammount of pressure you get when for example fsmashing someones shield, while the other climber is mobile is insanely good.

The day when someone learns to apply desynched backairs, against opponents withouth getting punished really will be the start of the Iceage.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Pivot upsmash under low platforms is actually really nice too.
You can do pivot usmash->desync ac uairs if you wanted to.

Empty pivot->jump->bair is also an amazing spacing tool (not a desync tho). ICs can use pivots to stop their wd momentum, similar to luigi.
You can do the same thing with nair which is nice too.

There is also a variaton of the 2 dash dd desync where you pivot instead of dash back, this lets you input a jump before popo finishes his initial dash, then pivot jab, and nana nairs behind you.
That's a super good, albeit hard to use and situational, spacing tool. I use it against peach sometimes.

ilysm

sleepy
Clarifying: the consensus on the best way to pivot is tap the stick in one direction as if to begin a dash, then immediately circle it downward? I've been attempting this, looking for the 'perfect pivot' as a result, but I'm worried I'm just horribly misunderstanding pivot desyncs.

Top Bottom