• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Peach seen as Cheap or Too Strong?

sethers656

Smash Rookie
Hi there. My friends and I are fairly avid smash players. We all have our main characters including Cpt. Falcon, Fox, Marth, and Peach (me). None of us are Pros or anything, we just play and try to improve. Our Marth player didn't even play the game much before we all started playing together. We are all somewhat equally skilled (in my opinion) and trade wins. I'd say the Cpt. Falcon player is best with me second.

My friends get upset at me for playing Peach. They say that she is cheap and doesn't take skill to play. They mostly say this because I dont use as many ATs as them, which is pretty true. They definitely tech, L-cancel, and wavedash a lot more than me, and I can still beat them without using these ATs. I do crouch cancel, float cancel, and tech sometimes, but they do it 5x more than me. Although I don't use as many ATs, I feel I'm better at spacing and because Peach is floaty, they can't combo me as well while Peach doesn't rely on big combos as much as getting a nice big D-smash or F-air. Another thing they call me out on a lot is spamming. One game they actually counted the amount of turnips I picked and it was an absurd number xD. I love to combo my dash attacks together and use my D-smash a lot, but they obviously hate it. While I do admit I spam a good amount, should it really matter it it's working?

So are they right? Is peach just cheap and too easy to use? I can definitely beat them without using as many ATs as them. Is that because Peach doesnt require as much skill and doesnt need them, or am I just a better player than them at certain aspects of the game. I probably wont stop playing Peach as I love her play style and skill set, but I just want to know if they're in the right and if others have had similar experiences.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Mmmmmm, that salt. Savor it...it makes us strong.

She is different to use, and doesn't rely on l-cancelling like spacies/Falcon, but she is by no means cheap or easy to use. They just need to learn how to press buttons more intelligently, not faster, which is how you beat her. You're fine (for now).

Maybe

Smash Cadet
Your friends don't complain about the Marth? Marth at the mediocre level is generally really good by just spamming F-Smash. Marth can also really out-space Peach easily IMO.

Also, do you CG a lot? Referring to when you play the Fox/CF players. Even so - CGs do take skill as well. They are a lot harder than M2K or Armada make it out to be.

sethers656

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not going to show this thread to them but it makes me feel better knowing I'm not just playing a cheap character. Our Marth is the newest player so no one really complains about him. He is actually very good at his wavedash into F-smash, but I just outspace him and turnip him to death. I've tried learning CGs but like you said, they are a lot harder than Armada makes them look.

Their biggest argument is that they have to use so much more ATs and try harder than I do and come out with the same result. I think they do have somehwat of a point seeing as how Peach doesnt rely on the L-cancels and such as much, but they just want to flat out ban me from playing Peach, which I think is ridiculous.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
they just want to flat out ban me from playing Peach
Teehee, scrubs :D

CFs complaining about the amount of turnips you get to pluck are somewhat uhhh... i don't know how to phrase it... wrong. CF has the speed and threatening stuff to prevent you from pulling a large amount of these (unless he's offstage). He's captain falcon... During the half second you need for pulling a turnip, he can almost traverse half of final destination and then grab -> downthrow knee you or sth :D

Well, and ATs are nice and everything, but ultimately they are tools. Tools which need to be used intelligently, if they want to win spamming mindless techskill they need to be really good at it (and probably play spacies), otherwise the ATs only enable options.
If you have answers for everything they do without needing ATs and they feel bad about it, then they should try to find situations where you would need to use ATs, because there aren't other good options (: (Marth Fsmash on shield comes to mind. It's pretty hard to punish if you can't consistently wd oos or do fc aerials oos)

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I agree with your friends

Peach is ****ing gay and relatively easy to use & win with at low & mediocre levels. She lives way too long because of her weight and absurd recovery so you are allowed more mistakes.

Your friends need to punish dsmash better and not let you pull out those turnips so you'll lose.

Im a troll

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
Peach is a bit annoying and "cheap" in some ways, but basically every good character in smash has things that are whine-worthy. Overall, your friends are just dumb--at your level of play, the character balance isn't really relevant, and they should be able to win. I'd say at lower levels of play, all of the characters you listed probably have an advantage over Peach, and also, Marth reigns supreme among low skill people because hitting fsmash gets kills and outranges everything, so you can bet that your spacing probably is better than his.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Yes, your friends are right. Peach is cheap. In fact, nobody recognises that Armada is the best player in the world. He only beats everyone because he uses Peach, which is like a free victory every time he plays. Never mind the fact that nobody has ever come even close to performing with Peach at his level.

If you have any honour at all (because honour is extremely important in video games), then you will drop this character and pick up one that actually takes skill - preferebly Fox, because the amount of button presses you have to do per second is the only measure of how much skill a character takes to play.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
My smash partner complains so much about Peach. I just lol and say "yeah, she's broken," and continue to violate him inappropriately.

:phone:

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
Peach is very good at low level play. When i first started me and my bro would get so furious playing our one friend who didn't even try to be good and still beat us. I just see Peach as a pub stomper.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
As others have said, she's good amongst low level players. But once you understand the matchup more by doing a fair amount of research and figure out ways to get around her silly shenanigans, it becomes a whole lot easier to deal with her.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
u should learn to play peach the correct way rather than just downsmashing and stuff then ull be stuck being bad for the rest of ur life

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Your friends are noobs who haven't reached the mentality of adapting and spacing. Yes peach has some ghey moves such as dsmash and dash attack and stuff, but that can be outgheyed by things like marth or shiek...

ZIngaZ

Smash Cadet
Definitely annoying as hell. My friend picked her up, 6 months later I still can't beat him with a spacie. Imo spam D-smash and you win. How do you think Armada got good with her lol

Popertop

Smash Champion
honestly if they haven't pick up on the fact that you are going to CCDsmash every move they try to pressure you with, they need to reevaluate their lives.

it's really not that hard to play around Dsmash, just space properly, don't CC against Peach EVER, and DI up and with the knockback, not that hard...

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
Your friends are right. noob peaches > noob other characters
Your friends will get better than you if you don't learn how to play the game properly.

psychoripper

Smash Rookie
if the marth player is complaining about peach he may need to work on his game lol
as a peach player I will say this, peach has some stuff thats annoying, but what character doesnt?

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
If peach is cheap.... what does that make the characters that are above her? I find those characters to be more a pain/cheap than she ever can be.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Peach is cheap, I was able to buy her last night for 17$. Best 17$ I've ever spent

wtf_mike

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5172-0602-3991
I don't think she is cheap but constant down smashes, turnips, and fairs is noobgame.

pheX

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I also think at the beginners level peach is quite easy to play and will most likely be your best character. But as soon as you play against more experienced people playing peach is not that easy anmore. If your opponents stop doing stupid mistakes peach is just like the rest of the characters. Or its even rather difficult since peach can not approach that easily, and can be ***** quickly by CFs Combos or Fox Uthrow --> Uair. She has also very limited option due to her slow moving speed. In generel she is a pretty limited character. Its a lot about playing smart and forcing mistakes on your enemy. Also there some very technical things (fast float canceled out of shield for example, also weak reverse bair combos, crazy up air combos arent that easy well)
I think that there is a reason that there never was a peach besides armada wining a big tournament in their region. Neither in Europe, nor US, nor Japan nor the South America there was a dominating peach. And Armada was not profiting of peach cheapness he was just an amazing player who happened to chose peach to play with.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
from the armada AMA:

Q:
"how can peach players reasonably respond to the criticism of the luck-based play style of her turnips? is it a justifiable complaint that a random stitch/dot can turn the tide of a match with no need for additional skill?

i have thought about this for a while and usually take the position that avoiding turnips is just as important as any other game mechanic, and that the odds of better items showing up are small enough that it doesn't unbalance her."

A:
"How can Fox players respond to the fact that his best stage involves severall transformations that all of them is bull**** in one way or another?

Yeah, stiches are kinda stupid and it is luck. But Peach players get to many of them cause people let her "play the lottery" to many times.

And as you say, the chances are small. If you lose to Peach, especially after playing a better char you just proved you clearly were a worse player."

Muse_Showbiz

Smash Rookie
well, if you take a look at the match-up: falcon ***** peach, fox ***** peach, marth has a hard time, but at mediocre level marth is really good.
moreover, peach is not the best character but she has annoying moves like d smash and those nair combo breakers. on the other hand, fox as known as the best character in melee has op stuff like u smash and shine, falcon has his knee and his grabs combos and marth is also hated for his f smash.
every character has gay moves, especially the higher tiers.

if you manage to raise to higher level, the winner of a game will always be that one with better spacing, punishment, and meta game.
just ignore them, they are salty as f*** ;)

Freddoe

Smash Rookie
Your only response should be "tech skill means nothing when it says 'Peach Wins,' when the game is over"

Spacing is 10000x more important than tech skill. So what if that fox can waveshine across the stage, can he KO you? That's how you win the game. Punish Game > Tech Skill, and it sounds like you have some salty friends.

psychoripper

Smash Rookie
people who complain about peach being cheap are people who are salty and dont know the matchup.

I know people who complain about down smash too much because they keep DI-ing down and getting slammed.
Its called learning the matchup better and not being super reckless

ElectricCitrus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ElectricCitrus
@ psychoripper psychoripper I like the cut of your gib. When I first started playing competitive melee about four months ago I was kind of shocked by Peach, even though she was a big OP, but then I learned about matchups and suddenly I found that Peach is just like any other character. Even turned her into my secondary because turnips 4 life.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Sounds like your friends are saltier than a bottle of soy sauce. Peach is a great character, but is by no means cheap. Like plenty of others have just said, they probably just don't know how to deal with her and are unfamiliar with the matchup.

If peach is who you enjoy playing as, keep playing as peach. They're just a bit butthurt that you're spanking them up and down.

Always remember to have fun!

Top Bottom