• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Falco cheap?!?!?

Proxyz

Smash Rookie
Everytime I beat my friend in ssbm he always tells me Falco is the cheapest character and can do smash attacks too fast. He goes on to say Falco has no lag time.

Is it true that Falco is a cheap character with no lag time allowing him to do smash attack to fast?

Or is my friend just being a sore loser and im just better then him :) ?

Me14k

Smash Lord
falco is cheap. His shl control the match like no other. His shine is the second cheapest move in the game followed by fox's shine.

Your friend is partially right with the lag... When you L cancel your air attacks you can o irectly into a shine so they will have no time to sheild grab (little lag). But at the same time being that falco is a space animal, when he is hit he has a lot of lag until he can do something so i leaves him vulerable (lots of lag).

You decide. Personally I consider falco to be 3rd cheapest in game. (1:marth 2:sheik 3: Falco 4: Peach 5: fox)

Repryx

Smash Champion
Falco Has Plenty of Lag time.

When he does it tell him "No John's Son"

AND While Falco CAN be gay YOur Friend is Kinda focusing on one of falco's Weaker points.
(The Fsmash can be put away with a tilt, D-smash is kind of instant but your friend sucks if he is constantly hit by it,U-smash is...Weak,as far as knockback goes, and almost never is used as a Killing move. All three Smashes have PLENTY of lag time I.E a Blocked or missed Fsmash can set you up for a LONG combo...

B-Will

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think bowser's fortress is cheaper than falco's shine.

Anyways, falco is no cheaper than the rest of the top tier characters. Sure he has the shl and a good combing ability. However, it's too easy to kill falco. Falco, more than any other charcter in the game, IMO, has to be perfect in his game play or he gets punished more than any other character making the same mistake. He is too easy to be comboed for the most part and his recovery doesn't help much for anything.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
That's right, it is time for my MYM15 Rankings! It's quite simple, I rank the sets I like, in the order I like them, so that you can see this list of pretty pictures and go "oh with that rating this set must be LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOATHED ENTIIIIIIIIIIIIRELY by him!". It's just my opinion, though.

As usual, my MYM15 Ratings will be able to be found by clicking the little Aradia in my signature. Say hi, flying Aradia! My rankings also tend to be more fluid than some others, with fairly frequent changes, so sometimes you might want to check back when I rank things to see if anything changed.

Sets are ranked on a 10 star scale, as explained below. It also will tell you how many sets are in each tier.

Star Rating Explanation

- 10 Stars(3 Ranked): Yes, I actually give out ten stars. 10 stars are for the elite of the elite for the contest...in my opinion, anyway. These sets have neglible negative points or easily glossed over ones, alongside things such as great gameplay, execution, concept and the like.
- 9 Stars(4 Ranked): Nine stars are sets which are personal favorites, but have some sort of flaw keeping them from the 10 stars, or just are slightly less liked: For example, maybe the set is awesome, except the set falls flat on it's face for a few moves, that sort of thing. These are still in the elite, however.
- 8 Stars(7 Ranked): Eight star sets are great sets, but something is missing, keeping them merely in the upper echelons rather than the elite. A little elbow grease and you can take these and turn their moveset philosophies into true tens.
- 7 Stars(6 Ranked): Seven star sets are good, but not great, usually having some large flaw or somesuch to keep them out of higher tiers. Maybe their concept has a critical logic error or the gameplay is particularly flawed in some area, such as an overly long recovery or a gameplay critical move with whack lag times. Movesets here, while good, tend to be ultimately forgettable.
- 6 Stars(15 Ranked): Six stars are sets I like, but which have...issues, really needing massive improvement. Maybe the concepts aren't expanded upon or the set is particularly imbalanced or underdetailed, but with enough to make up for it.
- 5 Stars(4 Ranked): At five stars, I don't like it, but I don't dislike it either...in other words, average. What else needs to be said?
- 4 Stars(4 Ranked): At 4 stars, I dislike the moveset, but I don't dislike it all that much. Maybe it has some redeeming quality that keeps it from the lower rungs or I can understand viewpoints that might lead others to like it. All the same, this is the start of bad.
- 3 Stars(21 Ranked): Three stars? Moveset is bad, with the minimal redeeming qualities, maybe just has one standout thing and then a bunch of crap. You dig me?
- 2 Stars(25 Ranked): At two stars, I hate the moveset. Maybe it's really tacky, hideously imbalanced, characterization destruction, whatever: This is one of the two worst and the moveset is ultimately awful in multiple manners.
- 1 Star(13 Ranked): At one star, the moveset is LOOOOOOOOATHED ENTIIIIIIIIIIIRELY.

---

Ranked Movesets

Number of MYM15 Sets Ranked: 106

Three
10/10

Funny Valentine
10/10

Jodie Reynolds
10/10

Vector
9/10

Don Thousand
9/10

Bashmaster
9/10

Sloth
9/10

Leviathan
8/10

Thrall
8/10

Nature's Prophet
8/10

Hydromb
8/10

Albert Wesker
8/10

The Great Dusknoir
8/10

Fredrik
8/10

Zant
7/10

Metroid Prime
7/10

Jormungandr
7/10

Zoroark
7/10

Barbaracle
7/10

Dewgong
7/10

Sherry Cromwell
6/10

Fugu
6/10

Erutus Profiteur
6/10

K. Rool
6/10

Divinity of Pride
6/10

Tyrant
6/10

Roman Centurion
6/10

Borth-Majar
6/10

Shoot the Rabbit
6/10

Negi Springfield
6/10

Chill Man
6/10

Burrito Bison
6/10

Pompy
6/10

Goodra
6/10

Obzedat
6/10

Randy Cunningham
5/10

Quick Man
5/10

Tyrannosaurus Rex
5/10

Fate Testarossa
5/10

Vivio Takamachi
4/10

Sheep Mage
4/10

Van
4/10

Jet Jaguar
4/10

Shy Guy
3/10

Magma Man
3/10

Clockwork
3/10

Usami
3/10

Sableye
3/10

Ganados
3/10

Misaka Mikoto
3/10

Piedmon
3/10

The King of All Cosmos
3/10

Astrodactyl
3/10

The Terminator
3/10

Murkrow
3/10

Licker
3/10

Commander Keen
3/10

Ridley
3/10

Swap Force
3/10

Bob Ross
3/10

Tommy Wiseau
3/10

Holly Summers
3/10

Mr. Dark
3/10

Royal Sticker Star Bowser
3/10

Crash Man
3/10

Tag
3/10

Chao Lingshen
3/10

Skowl
2/10

Weavel
2/10

Gomez
2/10

Zatch Bell
2/10

Blaziken
2/10

The Lich
2/10

Nightmare
2/10

Pauline
2/10

Rosalina
2/10

Rain
2/10

Nemesis
2/10

Armored Toad
2/10

Lion-O
2/10

Mr. Mime
2/10

Iota
2/10

Kunio-kun
2/10

Doraemon
2/10

Cartoon Donkey Kong
2/10

Charlotte Evergreen
2/10

Kutaro
2/10

Batman
2/10

CommanderVideo
2/10

Puck the Faerie Dragon
2/10

Ratchet and Clank
2/10

Tepig
2/10

Sideshow Bob
2/10

Joel
2/10

Anna
■□□□□□□□□□
1/10

Chozo Warrior
1/10

Spirit Zelda
1/10

Isabelle
1/10

Waluigi
1/10

Mach Rider
1/10

Chester Bennington
1/10

Snorlax
1/10

Doopliss
1/10

Tangela
1/10

Frank Underwood
1/10

Polygon Man
1/10

PC-98 Reimu Hakurei
1/10

Last edited:

halfDemon

Smash Lord
There are no cheap characters. There are, however, characters better then others(I.E. Falcon is better then Pichu).
If you think there are no cheap characters, then you've got a lot to learn.

Falco is cheap, yes. That's why he's top tier. Your friend gives completely wrong reasons, though.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
being cheap = win. Every character has the potential to be cheap in some ways, it's just about how easy it is to be cheap, how effective said cheapness is, and how many characters it's effective on determine the tier lists. Just learn to play as cheaply as you can and you will do well, and until your friend realizes this, he's got a long way to go.

So, i guess what i'm saying is that there is nothing wrong w/ being cheap. In fact, not only is there nothing wrong with it, it is actually the right thing to be doing.

Repryx

Smash Champion
It's Also Good to tell him to Just get better than you (It'll Drive him Crazy)

Eaode

Smash Champion
SMASHES WITH NO LAG!?!?!?!

ROFLMAOOL

Seriously, Shielded smash = death. The only thing that I really see wrong wth Falco is the SHL. Anything else is completely fine and can be easily avoided. SHL (+Combos) is what makes Falco good.

Smack him.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
falco is ghey, but in this game, they gheyer you are the more likely you're gonna win

so tell him, falco's not cheap, he's just ghey, just be as ghey is you wanna beat me

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea everyone already covered the main points.

All the top/high tier chars are the cheapest. marth and sheik FTMFL!!!!!

Serenade.ll

Smash Rookie
If by cheap you mean good character then he's hella cheap, besides he's a space animal and he has a pretty short recovery I'd say that pretty much balances him

no johns son no johns..;)

Repryx

Smash Champion
A John is Basically an excuse as to why you lost I.E. I was tired thats why I aint win...

Zeron

Smash Apprentice
"We have equal skill, but you used a better character, and that's why I lost."
Seems like a legit John.

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
I don't think falcos cheap >_> your friend is just jelouse of your awsome skills -_- you should slap him for that >_>

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
I think bowser's fortress is cheaper than falco's shine.

Anyways, falco is no cheaper than the rest of the top tier characters. Sure he has the shl and a good combing ability. However, it's too easy to kill falco. Falco, more than any other charcter in the game, IMO, has to be perfect in his game play or he gets punished more than any other character making the same mistake. He is too easy to be comboed for the most part and his recovery doesn't help much for anything.

qfat

nice points b-will

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Falco, more than any other charcter in the game, IMO, has to be perfect in his game play
I agree with you but Id say that Captain falcon is either worse or tied with falco for that aspect of gameplay.

At least falco can sweetspot with ease. its not possible in every situation with captain. CF's recovery is just a joke.

can do smash attacks too fast. He goes on to say Falco has no lag time.
LOL

At the level I play smash a missed forward smash usually means you're dead.

Tell your friend that he sucks, and thats the main reason he's actually getting hit by falco's smash attacks which IMO are easy to see coming unless used properly.

Then tell him he's a scrub for thinking these things and tell him to scrub your bathroom floor like I said earlier.

Also you both sound like you suck. Get better.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Falco takes skill to use, just like Fox. One can not just pick up the controller and start destroying peole with Falco(like you can with Sheik). Falco takes practice, patience, and great comboing skills.

If you think he is cheap, let me guess, you can't beat Falco players.

pchoo

Smash Cadet
IMO, Shiek is the only cheap character in the game.
The rest are just annoying and/or lame. :)

Trittle

Smash Rookie
It doesn't sound like you are using falco to his full potential "cheapness".... if you are consistently hitting him with fsmash... or any smash for that matter than he needs to get smarter.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
Ehh, i agree (and i myself main falco), he can be cheap to a certain extent. However, that is no excuse for another player to complain about it. I used to constantly get shine spiked by my friend, but i learned to work around it. Another example is a ganon i played had learned how to impact sheild lasers.

So, in summation, each character, as already stated, has the potential to be extremely *cheap*, yet it is based upon the opponent to learn how to play around that cheap ness.

ohh and P.S. SHL FTW!

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I wouldn't say falco is cheap. KOing someone at a low % is cheap, but you can't call a whole character cheap. But I think that once you know how to SHL and shine combo's all you need to do is spam it a lot.

Viroxor

Smash Ace
Falco requires as much skill as anyone else, it's a fact. A skilled Marth can beat a newb Falco, but in most cases, a skilled Falco will beat a skilled Marth. Believe me, I've experienced both. Cheap, by my definition, is being able to pick up a character for the first time and beat somebody who has been practicing for a considerably long time.

I consider Falco the best character for beating noobs and 8-year-olds who think they own all because they're 'good' with Sheik. I'm not good with characters like Captain Falcon because they rely more heavily on power attacks, whereas characters like Falco and Fox rely on speed and smashes for the advantage. The shine can be an effective weapon, especially against someone who is unfamiliar with the two Star Fox characters. Shining a fully-charged super scope shot is gratifying like nothing else I've ever seen.

However, Falco has key weaknesses that balance him. For one, Marth and Roy's parry move can screw up many strategies for Falco players, although good timing on the offense can effectively counter this. The other is Ness's recovery barrier. My friend, a Ness-player, does this a lot, and it can be infuriating, especially because Ness's attacks are so easily shinable. Try to use the shine's reflector function as little as possible when fighting a skilled Ness. The blaster should be avoided as well, but all melee attacks are within boundaries.

Also, watch your back when in a multi-player match. The reflector doesn't work against melee attacks, so make sure you don't get grappled from behind while shining.

That's all the advice I can offer. It will counter all your friend's arguments quite well, unless he's a noob, which is what it sounds like.

Viro out.

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
Sounds to me like your friend should learn to wavesmash backwards, I find that usually kills my friend's aerial aproaches, when i play as roy/marth. In tehory it works well with mario too, but f course, my comment is null if your friend plays poor wavedashers like peach or bowser.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Everytime I beat my friend in ssbm he always tells me Falco is the cheapest character and can do smash attacks too fast. He goes on to say Falco has no lag time.

Is it true that Falco is a cheap character with no lag time allowing him to do smash attack to fast?

Or is my friend just being a sore loser and im just better then him :) ?
I think it's more of yor friend being a sore loser, 80%sore loser-20& falco cheap

Top Bottom