• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Interesting equipment distribution titles

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
So today on reddit, I stumbled upon a picture of the equipment screen. That picture was in English, so I'm assuming it was either the American English or UK English version of the game. And then I noticed something. Something that didn't match my European Portuguese Smash 4 knowledge...

You see, when you're customizing a character's equipment, be it on the Wii U or 3DS, there's this little pie chart that indicates the distribution between the Attack, Defense and Speed stats. This chart can have one of eight icons in its center.
  • If one stat largely overshadows the others, that stat's icon appears.
  • If two stats are equally relevant and considerably stronger than the remaining one (if any), the two leader stat icons appear.
  • If the three stats are mostly balanced, a smaller chart reflecting the bigger one appears, or a gray circle appears, depending on whether you have anything on you or not, respectively.
The thing is, each of these icons comes bundled with a title that describes the distribution. Here I'll list the available titles in each language in my European copy of Smash 4, excluding Russian (I can't type the characters! :ohwell:), and split them into two groups. You'll see why.

For English, German, French, Italian, and Dutch, the titles are fairly standard. I'll list them in the order I just mentioned:
  • All balanced (whether it's 0 or 3 stats):
    • Balanced, Ausgeglichen, Équilibré, Bilanciato, Allround
  • Mostly attack:
    • Attacker, Angreifer, Offensif, Attaccante, Aanval
  • Mostly defense:
    • Defender, Verteidiger, Défensif, Difensore, Defensie
  • Mostly speed:
    • Speedster, Sprinter, Rapide, Velocista, Snelheid
  • Mostly attack and defense:
    • Atk/Def, Ang./Abw., Offensif/Défensif, Attaccante/Difensore, Aanv. + Def.
  • Mostly attack and speed:
    • Spd/Atk, Tmp./Ang., Rapide/Offensif, Velocista/Attaccante, Snelh. + Aanv.
  • Mostly defense and speed:
    • Def/Spd, Abw./Tmp., Défensif/Rapide, Difensore/Velocista, Def. + Snelh.
You don't need to know the other languages to know that they mean the same thing as the English name. Pretty forgettable stuff, right?

But for Portuguese and Spanish... This is where it gets interesting! (Again, same order as I just mentioned)
  • All balanced (whether it's 0 or 3 stats):
    • Balançado (Balanced), Equilibrado (Balanced)
  • Mostly attack:
    • Bárbaro (Barbarian), Guerrero (Warrior)
  • Mostly defense:
    • Legionário (Legionary), Defensor (Defender)
  • Mostly speed:
    • Batedor (Batter), Velocista (Speedster)
  • Mostly attack and defense:
    • Paladino (Paladin), Paladín (Paladin)
  • Mostly attack and speed:
    • Ninja, Temerario (Daredevil)
  • Mostly defense and speed:
    • Samurai, Protector (Protector)
Woah! Ninja? Warrior? These are awesome! They're real honorary titles, instead of bland technical descriptors. It's so bizarre how only those two languages got this badass title treatment. It makes me feel a bit bad for those that don't use Portuguese or Spanish in Smash 4. I also find it weird how the Portuguese speedster is the term for a baseball player type, the batter; that's mostly confusing because batting is a thing in the Smash series, thanks to the item and Ness's side smash.

While researching this, I found out other, less-interesting factoids:
  • With two stats...
    • In order for one to completely overtake the other, it must match 60% to 100% of the distribution.
    • In order for both of them to be considered equally relevant, one of them must match 40% to 60% of the distribution.
  • The color of the title's name will be orange for when you're mostly offensive, cyan for mostly defensive, and green for mostly fast; it'll be gray otherwise.
I don't feel like this discovery is complete, however. Can anybody share the Russian, American English, American Spanish, American French, and Japanese titles? It would complete this, and it could help us better understand what went into the minds of the Iberian translators.

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
I'm confused by what this thread is supposed to be about.
To put this super simply: When you use equipment on a character, they get a colored circle relfecting said characters stat changes, seen here with lucina. https://twitter.com/MrNuclearPumpki/status/577170096793096192/photo/1
In this image, you can see that lucina has +1 attack and +1 speed, meaning she is half and half speed and attack, shown by the circle and the "Spd/Atk" title.

In the Portuguese version of the game, instead of these generic titles, they are called different things, this lucina slot would be called "ninja" instead of just "spd/atk".
Its quite simple really, im not sure what your not understanding.

Techno Hunter

Smash Cadet
And I thought the fact that Brazilians didn't get the portuguese translation couldn't get worse.

Top Bottom