• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Instant Dash Attack

Scala

Smash Ace
For what it's worth, I found you can do an instant dash attack from standing still by starting a dash and doing a quarter circle down before hitting A.

If you don't do the quarter circle down, you'll get a smash attack.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
For what it's worth, I found you can do an instant dash attack from standing still by starting a dash and doing a quarter circle down before hitting A.

Reminds me of the trick in KIU that'd let you use any directional shots while running in any direction. Run in one direction, do a circle motion to the desired direction, shoot.

Chauzu

Smash Ace

Wow, so easy to do but I had no idea it was possible!

Nice find.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The real question is, can you buffer this on a 3DS?

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There's a far easier input. You plink the dash into A. The only hard part is the timing.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
There's a far easier input. You plink the dash into A. The only hard part is the timing.
This is what I was wondering. So long as you dash, let the stick reset to neutral and then press A it's the same thing, right? Seems like it to me.

Yeah, this work cause inputting down when in a dash doesnt really send an input through, so its the same as just flicking the control stick and pressing A. The difference is that this is substantially easier to do since you're not having to release, and safer since you don't risk Fsmashing

GrownCannoli

Smash Apprentice
Oh Snap! Great find.

If you do this + Dash attack cancel grab you go from a standing position to a super far KaraGrab.

I name this the Cannoli grab...... Jk :troll:

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Is this not the "press down on c-stick (or input a down smash) while starting a dash or running" mechanic from brawl? I used to do standing dashes all the time this way, and I've found it to still be in (though not as useful without a c-stick).

In Brawl, sakurai wanted to do more with the C-stick - in brawl you can do a run->upsmash by pressing up on the cstick (we all know this :p ) and the other thing he added was that pushing down on the cstick would do a dash attack.
Pressing down on the cstick while running doesnt do a down smash likely because it would look weird due to how most down smashes look. Hence it performing a dash attack instead

Last edited:

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
This reminds my of the instant dash attack for KI:U, Dash forward then flick and hold back while pressing the attack button.

Is this not the "press down on c-stick (or input a down smash) while starting a dash or running" mechanic from brawl? I used to do standing dashes all the time this way, and I've found it to still be in (though not as useful without a c-stick).

In Brawl, sakurai wanted to do more with the C-stick - in brawl you can do a run->upsmash by pressing up on the cstick (we all know this :p ) and the other thing he added was that pushing down on the cstick would do a dash attack.
Pressing down on the cstick while running doesnt do a down smash likely because it would look weird due to how most down smashes look. Hence it performing a dash attack instead
Well, I think the reason this is of interest is because at the moment, players of the 3DS version have no C-Stick. This quarter-circle input lets you fulfill the role of the C-Stick in Brawl for instant dash attacks without, well, a C-Stick.

Also, a down input on the C-Stick wasn't really coded to specifically execute a dash attack when running. In Brawl, the C-Stick was coded so that an input registered as (tapped direction + standard attack) at once, if the stick was set to smash. So pressing forward on the C-Stick gave (forward tap + attack), which naturally gives an Fsmash. Since you can jump out of a run/dash, pressing up on the C-Stick counts as a jump + attack. The jump is "cancelled" immediately by the attack input, which results in an Usmash right out of your dash.

However, Brawl doesn't let you cancel your run with a crouch. So when you press down on the C-Stick while running, the (down tap) component of the input is ignored by the dash, and only the attack input goes though. And as we all know, pressing the attack button during a dash/run results in a dash attack. This is also why certain DACUS were easier to perform with just the C-stick. Flicking it down the immediately up while running gives you a dash attack first, which is then cancelled by an Usmash. Iirc this is one of the easier ways to DACUS with Snake

I got carried away

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Well, I think the reason this is of interest is because at the moment, players of the 3DS version have no C-Stick. This quarter-circle input lets you fulfill the role of the C-Stick in Brawl for instant dash attacks without, well, a C-Stick.

Also, a down input on the C-Stick wasn't really coded to specifically execute a dash attack when running. In Brawl, the C-Stick was coded so that an input registered as (tapped direction + standard attack) at once, if the stick was set to smash. So pressing forward on the C-Stick gave (forward tap + attack), which naturally gives an Fsmash. Since you can jump out of a run/dash, pressing up on the C-Stick counts as a jump + attack. The jump is "cancelled" immediately by the attack input, which results in an Usmash right out of your dash.

However, Brawl doesn't let you cancel your run with a crouch. So when you press down on the C-Stick while running, the (down tap) component of the input is ignored by the dash, and only the attack input goes though. And as we all know, pressing the attack button during a dash/run results in a dash attack. This is also why certain DACUS were easier to perform with just the C-stick. Flicking it down the immediately up while running gives you a dash attack first, which is then cancelled by an Usmash. Iirc this is one of the easier ways to DACUS with Snake

I got carried away
Yeah it's very interesting. I think this will basically translate to the same mechanic once we play with the c-stick, but it's cool to realise we can do it without one.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Plinking stands for priority linking. First discovered in Sf4. By inputing an attack and then immediatly pressing an attack of lower priority in a combo (EX: pressing hard punch then immediatly pressing medium punch) This created a greater frame window to hit 1 frame links.

The game registers the button presses as hard punch and then hard punch + medium punch.

The game is designed so that the higher priority move will come out when 2 buttons are pressed. So if you press hard punch and medium punch together a hard punch will come out.

It would be like pressing hard punch twice in 2 frames.

What your saying isn't plink.

I can't help it. There is a lot of misinformation reguarding tech in these forums. If your still confused look up the technique on google there are plenty of instructional videos.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It actually stands for piano linking. It's not unique to SF4, but it's application mostly is. Tekken, for example, has numerous attacks that require this piano-esque input. It's a roll of the fingers. While the IDA (instant dash attack) requires two hands to do, the rhythm is the same.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master

I got carried away
So long as smash jabs aren't returning, I am cool with this.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I've always used Cstick in brawl to dash attack and for this I've done the same with the quartercircle motion. The quartercircle was in brawl but there was no reason to do it because of cstick.

Last edited:

Cuccu Maestro

Smash Cadet
It's called piano linking because of the input being like on a piano tapping down the keys. Since what it does and how it's done (and when and why...) are completely different than a plink, calling it that is nonsensical at best.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
It actually stands for piano linking. It's not unique to SF4, but it's application mostly is. Tekken, for example, has numerous attacks that require this piano-esque input. It's a roll of the fingers. While the IDA (instant dash attack) requires two hands to do, the rhythm is the same.
Are you sure? In Street Fighter, pianoing and plinking are two completely separate things. Probably a conflict in terminology, but I doubt that it's explicitly plinking in Tekken if we're talking about how the actual attack shows up on a move list.

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Nope. It's called priority linking.

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV/Advanced_Techniques/Plinking

I was on the forums when it was discovered.

Piano is a different technique. As stated earlier there is a lot of misinformation about fighting game terminology. I'm here to solve that. One thread at a time.

Last edited:

kataridragon

Smash Ace
To be more specific for what pianoing is used for:

In sf to do a super you must input the motions and then press either 2 kicks or two punches depending on the super. If you roll your fingers across all three buttons you have 2 chances to activate the super. Same with ex moves.

In tekken some moves probably require the swift consecutive button presses. You could apply the piano technique.

Plink is not equal to piano.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
To be more specific for what pianoing is used for:

In sf to do a super you must input the motions and then press either 2 kicks or two punches depending on the super. If you roll your fingers across all three buttons you have 2 chances to activate the super. Same with ex moves.

In tekken some moves probably require the swift consecutive button presses. You could apply the piano technique.

Plink is not equal to piano.
Piano is most commonly used for "mash" moves like Honda's hands or Chun Li's kicks, you quickly piano many punch or kick inputs at once to get the move to come out consistently in one or two inputs instead of mashing and praying.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
Piano is most commonly used for "mash" moves like Honda's hands or Chun Li's kicks, you quickly piano many punch or kick inputs at once to get the move to come out consistently in one or two inputs instead of mashing and praying.
True. I don't play to many mashers so I personally think supers and ex. But ya this is absolutely right as well.

For the record I'm not trying to hate on people or be smug about this stuff. It's just time and time again I see terminology thrown out here on smashboards that are used incorrectly.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
True. I don't play to many mashers so I personally think supers and ex. But ya this is absolutely right as well.

For the record I'm not trying to hate on people or be smug about this stuff. It's just time and time again I see terminology thrown out here on smashboards that are used incorrectly.
Well different fighting games get each others terms mixed up normally, and that seems to go double for Smash so... yeah lol.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
So basically, if I were instant-dash-attacking to the right (I'm just going to use IDA for an abbreviation for now), I would have to
  • Flick Circle pad to the right
  • Immediately quarter-circle Circle Pad to Down
  • Press A
And that'll do it right?

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
I always seem to have trouble doing it left, but that's just because my hands are adjusted to playing while facing right. I find myself tilting my controller/3DS which makes it even harder XD

Great find though! It would REALLY be good for Sheik. :4sheik:

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
I'm not really noticing a speed difference between just plinking :GCR: :GCA: and doing the input you've suggested. Potentially better, but I just can't tell.

I don't really even notice a difference in the Cannoli Grab either! XD

I did notice you can do a half circle downward plus a grab to perform a pivot grab, but I'm not so sure the complicated motion is necessary since you can get something else you didn't want.

Actually I'm not sure any of these slightly more complicated motions are necessary. I seem to be able to replicate the same effect with plinking or delaying the second half of the plink input just slightly to give the attack, grab or pivot grab more distance.

Last edited:
Top Bottom