• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Input lag while using splitters / capture card

Lobsteri

Smash Rookie
My setup:
EzCap DC60+
Three splitters (goldplated):

PAL Wii with PAL Melee
CRT TV with SCART (grundig 14" 50/60Hz)
Composite cables

When I play with my setup, it gives a noticeable amount of input lag. I disconnect my capture device to see if lag goes away, but even with splitters it gives input lag.

I have attempted to fix the lag by plugging splitters straight to my Scart as well as to my capture card, but it didn't make a difference. My setup works perfectly without splitters and a capture card plugged.

Before I start spending money on anything, I'd like to know what is holding me back, since it could be either the splitters, capture card or my TV. I ran out of ideas :(

Thanks in advance!

Kadano

Magical Express
I have not encountered this problem myself, but I remember reading posts by ajp_anton in which he claimed that many CRTs lag when they are at improper brightness / contrast levels. It doesn’t make sense intuitively since CRTs are purely analog devices, but apparently the problem exists.

The main thing that happens when splitting is that the signal strength (A) is reduced, so the brightness is lower. You can try increasing the brightness on your CRT, maybe one of the levels won’t lag. You’d have to switch to your current brightness level whenever you unplug your capture card.

Lobsteri

Smash Rookie
The main thing that happens when splitting is that the signal strength (A) is reduced, so the brightness is lower. You can try increasing the brightness on your CRT, maybe one of the levels won’t lag. You’d have to switch to your current brightness level whenever you unplug your capture card.
I played around with brightness, and I can say it worked! Tried this with the complete capture card setup by recording footage.

However, the brightness level I set was very VERY specific, and it left me wondering whether it is completely lagless compared to using no capture card/splitters, since I only set the brightness level by trying out button combinations on each brightness level to see which just feels the best for me. Is there a way to measure the lag somehow, to know the exact level I should be using?

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
I played around with brightness, and I can say it worked! Tried this with the complete capture card setup by recording footage.

However, the brightness level I set was very VERY specific, and it left me wondering whether it is completely lagless compared to using no capture card/splitters, since I only set the brightness level by trying out button combinations on each brightness level to see which just feels the best for me. Is there a way to measure the lag somehow, to know the exact level I should be using?
lol that's super weird. In your situation, I would just find another CRT that didn't have that issue. Actually, that would help you measure the lag as well.

If you have your current CRT along with a no-lag-under-any-circumstances CRT, you can use the same splitter to hook them both up and take a picture with a relatively fast shutter (< 1/60 second). You will be able to see any lag by comparing the progression of the scanlines between the reference no-lag CRT and the possibly-variable-amounts-of-lag CRT. Then you just change the brightness level of your lag CRT and repeat.

Kadano

Magical Express
Dude. It was confirmed by ajp_anton (and, according to him, Armada) that having the brightness setting off from default can cause lag on many CRT TVs. This is not something he is imagining. In fact, there are many CRT TVs that lag at every brightness setting. Afaik, only PC and PVM / other professional CRTs are always lagless (unless they do frame doubling, but that’s very rare in CRT monitors). Ajp_anton is one of the most technically knowledgeable smashers in the world.

Why CRT TV brightness setting can cause lag is not known yet. I’m not sure if there’s someone among us who knows CRT TV circuits well enough, @ShortFuse maybe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom