• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
To quickly touch on this I used Snake as inspiration for the neutral b. And while I don't believe it has been done with a projectile yet, Luigi, Pikachu, Ike and Kirby all have a chargeable side-b move so it can be done. :) I want to make sure that I could keep the Inkling's mobile while charging this move. Although, I guess since King DeDeDe's Rocket Hammer is a chargeable down special I could theoretically just switch Splatling and Roller. The Splat Bomb IMO just fits naturally on the neutral special, because I used Snake.
Not sure if using Snake was the best idea here. For one, the focus is completely different between these two characters. Grenades and other such explosives are arguably Snake's biggest focus as a character, and Hand Grenade is a rather versatile and vital tool to Snake, so it makes sense for it to be on neutral special. Plus, down special is taken up by C4, so this is really the only fitting place for the grenade. With the Inkling, though, the roller could be mapped to side special, the splat bomb to down, and the Splatling to neutral, and nothing would be lost, only gained. Honestly, this is like looking at Yoshi, seeing that his up special is a projectile, and not giving a character a third jump -- without considering Yoshi's super-high double jump. Don't take moves out of context, because more often than not, the context makes a move.

As for the chargeable side special deal, the key here is what the charge is used for. Luigi, Pikachu, and Ike's all involve sideways movement, hence their mapping to the sideways special. Kirby is a bit of an odd case, although this could be chalked up to neutral and down special being occupied by more fitting moves, so this is the optimal arrangement in this case. It's a sideways attack anyways, so it fits. The Splatling is a projectile, which are almost always mapped to neutral special unless that's taken up by something else -- Samus's missiles, for example, are on side special because neutral special is occupied by the charge shot. It's like the C4 example I brought up earlier.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if using Snake was the best idea here. For one, the focus is completely different between these two characters. Grenades and other such explosives are arguably Snake's biggest focus as a character, and Hand Grenade is a rather versatile and vital tool to Snake, so it makes sense for it to be on neutral special. Plus, down special is taken up by C4, so this is really the only fitting place for the grenade. With the Inkling, though, the roller could be mapped to side special, the splat bomb to down, and the Splatling to neutral, and nothing would be lost, only gained. Honestly, this is like looking at Yoshi, seeing that his up special is a projectile, and not giving a character a third jump -- without considering Yoshi's super-high double jump. Don't take moves out of context, because more often than not, the context makes a move.

As for the chargeable side special deal, the key here is what the charge is used for. Luigi, Pikachu, and Ike's all involve sideways movement, hence their mapping to the sideways special. Kirby is a bit of an odd case, although this could be chalked up to neutral and down special being occupied by more fitting moves, so this is the optimal arrangement in this case. It's a sideways attack anyways, so it fits. The Splatling is a projectile, which are almost always mapped to neutral special unless that's taken up by something else -- Samus's missiles, for example, are on side special because neutral special is occupied by the charge shot. It's like the C4 example I brought up earlier.
Okay, I see what you mean. It was a bit of a bad example.

Let's bring up one more move. You mentioned the Mii Gunner early. Don't they have a grenade on a neutral special? It couldn't be similar to that?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Okay, I see what you mean. It was a bit of a bad example.

Let's bring up one more move. You mentioned the Mii Gunner early. Don't they have a grenade on a neutral special? It couldn't be similar to that?
Firstly, that's a custom move, so it may not be the best thing to base a decision on. For the Mii Gunner, we see the same thing that happened with Snake. Down special is occupado (namely by the more fitting force fields and lower-shooting bombs), so neutral special is the next best thing. Again, look at the context, and ask why something is however it is -- or isn't however it isn't, in the case of grenades not being on down special.

That plus the difference in what these explosives do. The Mii Gunner's grenades serve as a zoning tool -- they're quick, they explode on contact, and they can be used repeatedly. The splat bomb is about the polar opposite of that; as I discussed earlier, it's more of a "trap" sort of bomb. Kinda like Snake's C4, actually.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
This could be the exact reason the Inklings are in now: to be bundled with other characters that may not get in as much. Polarity is what should be bundled- to encourage group buying.
Regardless, Inklings would have to be an additional character, not specifically the voter choice- it is one option of too much rage. Not that such as mattered as much in the past...
Inklings would still be sold separatedly, so I doubt they inclusion as DLC would help other characters that wouldn't sell as much. Also, unfortunately I don't see Nintendo releasing not-so-popular characters as DLC. But who knows? Edit: Just to make sure, I really want Inklings to be DLC, I am just not confident it will happen.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Congrats Munomario777 Munomario777 for the new topic owner.
... So, are we now taking movesets for the OP? If so, here's mine:

Entrance: First is a squid then turns into a human.
Neutral Attack: Paintbrush slash
Dash Attack: Paintroller
Side Tilt: Slosher fling
Up Tilt: Heavy Splatling
Down Tilt: Paintbrush swipe
Side Smash: Charger
Up Smash: Ink Strike
Down Smash: Roller Ink fling
Neutral Aerial: Paintbrush spin
Up Aerial: Upward inkshot
Forward Aerial: Paintbrush forward swipe
Back Aerial: Inkzooka
Down Aerial: Down Blaster shot
Neutral B: Splattershot- Rapidly shoots ink
Side B: Splat Bomb- Throws a splat bomb, takes some time to detonate but does a lot of damage
Up B: Super Jump- Takes some time to charge but goes high
Down B: Squid- Turns into a squid, in this mode you can't attack but you will go faster
Final Smash: Kraken- Transforms into a Kraken. Similar to Down B except for a limited time, goes much faster, and can launch fighters when pressing the B button.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Congrats Munomario777 Munomario777 for the new topic owner.
... So, are we now taking movesets for the OP? If so, here's mine:

Entrance: First is a squid then turns into a human.
Neutral Attack: Paintbrush slash
Dash Attack: Paintroller
Side Tilt: Slosher fling
Up Tilt: Heavy Splatling
Down Tilt: Paintbrush swipe
Side Smash: Charger
Up Smash: Ink Strike
Down Smash: Roller Ink fling
Neutral Aerial: Paintbrush spin
Up Aerial: Upward inkshot
Forward Aerial: Paintbrush forward swipe
Back Aerial: Inkzooka
Down Aerial: Down Blaster shot
Neutral B: Splattershot- Rapidly shoots ink
Side B: Splat Bomb- Throws a splat bomb, takes some time to detonate but does a lot of damage
Up B: Super Jump- Takes some time to charge but goes high
Down B: Squid- Turns into a squid, in this mode you can't attack but you will go faster
Final Smash: Kraken- Transforms into a Kraken. Similar to Down B except for a limited time, goes much faster, and can launch fighters when pressing the B button.
Thanks! :)

And added to the OP.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that the Inklings could actually get in SSB4... Splatoon is a huge hit... many Nintendo fans love it and Nintendo is heavily promoting Splatoon a lot... amiibos, Mario Maker, tons of DLC in Splatoon, Mii Fighter costumes, plushes... if not SSB4, then definitely SSB5... no doubt about it.
Most definitely. I've kind of made my peace about the Inklings may not making it in Smash 4 as DLC. I would def support them for a Smash 5 the game has been a huge hit like Animal Crossing so I don't see why they wouldn't be in the next game. Their playstyle would be so unique and be a different projectile character that we've ever seen before. I do have other newcomers I'd like to see, but the Inklings are still in my top 5 but I would so not mind waiting for them to make their debut for the next game. Besides, they do have to save some A-Lister Nintendo characters for the next Smash.

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
So I'm pretty sure we are all at the point that the Inklings will be a character in Smash, whether it's DLC or the following game. But let's say they don't make it into DLC for Smash 4. Would everyone still settle for having a Splatoon stage, kind of how Super Mario Maker is getting representation with a stage?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So I'm pretty sure we are all at the point that the Inklings will be a character in Smash, whether it's DLC or the following game. But let's say they don't make it into DLC for Smash 4. Would everyone still settle for having a Splatoon stage, kind of how Super Mario Maker is getting representation with a stage?
I think having a Splatoon stage would make the most sense. To be honest I would be fine with just a stage. I think a Splatoon stage would be fun to play on and it at least something else to have for Splatoon representation besides Mii costumes and a trophy. Again at least it's something.

Last edited:

Reila

Sure. A stage is better than ugly mii costumes nothing.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
If there's absolutely no way that they could add them -- if the ink is incompatible with the current engine or something like that -- then yeah, I'd settle for that until Smash 5.

As long as the awesome music is inkluded.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
If there's absolutely no way that they could add them -- if the ink is incompatible with the current engine or something like that -- then yeah, I'd settle for that until Smash 5.

As long as the awesome music is inkluded.
I think it would be a tough choice for music for them. Hopefully they wouldn't limit it to a few, there are too many good songs for Splatoon.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I think it would be a tough choice for music for them. Hopefully they wouldn't limit it to a few, there are too many good songs for Splatoon.
I don't see why they'd limit it like that when they could just port them all over. I don't even need any remixes or anything, the music's already awesome.

Reila

They would probably port 6~9 songs, I think. 6 being the most likely number. As long as Untitled (Hightide Era) plays in the stage, I will be happy.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You guys ever think that maybe we'd get Kali & Marie instead of just a stock Inkling? Different costumes on the same character slot?

Reila

That would make no sense. The Inklings (the player avatars) are much more recognizable and popular (if fanart is anything to go by) than Callie and Marie. Plus, they are the main characters of the game. I have nothing against Callie and Marie, but I wouldn't want them over Inklings.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Don't get me wrong, I'm not lobbying for them, but Idk for some reason it seems to me like something Sakurai might do. I think he'd rather have a recognizable actual character than an Avatar-type horde character.

That said, :4villagerf: & :4miif:. But I personally would have preferred no Miis at all and Tom Nook over Villager. So Idk

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Don't get me wrong, I'm not lobbying for them, but Idk for some reason it seems to me like something Sakurai might do. I think he'd rather have a recognizable actual character than an Avatar-type horde character.

That said, :4villagerf: & :4miif:. But I personally would have preferred no Miis at all and Tom Nook over Villager. So Idk
Don't forget :4robinf:. (You could kinda count the Pokemon too since they're a species, not a character.) If an avatar character is also the main face of an entire IP as well as the main protagonist and the one with the most moveset potential, you bet that they'll get in over some lesser-known characters that aren't in any of Splatoon's marketing.

Villager seems like the perfect AC rep to me. Main protagonist, personality, "cute" aesthetic, unique gameplay style, serial killer... Seems like the best way possible to represent the series. Nook is a close second, though, being pure evil and all.

(Also, I don't see how Miis are worse than no Miis.)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Don't forget :4robinf:. (You could kinda count the Pokemon too since they're a species, not a character.) If an avatar character is also the main face of an entire IP as well as the main protagonist and the one with the most moveset potential, you bet that they'll get in over some lesser-known characters that aren't in any of Splatoon's marketing.

Villager seems like the perfect AC rep to me. Main protagonist, personality, "cute" aesthetic, unique gameplay style, serial killer... Seems like the best way possible to represent the series. Nook is a close second, though, being pure evil and all.

(Also, I don't see how Miis are worse than no Miis.)
I purposely didn't include the Robins on this one- You can customize them sure but they're still incredibly relevant to the plot of the game. Villager's just kind of along for the ride, no personality (from the AC games at least, tons in Smash). I just feel like Nook is much more of an actual character

Edit- I guess I feel like it's if Heroes of the Storm had a random WoW Orc Shaman instead of Thrall, or a random Human Death Knight instead of Arthas, know what I'm saying? Sure, you're controlling the character and such but they themselves aren't really the stars of the show.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I purposely didn't include the Robins on this one- You can customize them sure but they're still incredibly relevant to the plot of the game.
Like how the Inkling saved the Great Zapfish on Splatoon's single player campaign? :p
Villager's just kind of along for the ride, no personality (from the AC games at least, tons in Smash). I just feel like Nook is much more of an actual character
As long as the end result is a charming character with a good personality, I'm rather indifferent to how much they do or do not have in the actual source game.

I wouldn't say that the mayor of a town who decides everything that goes on in the game is "just along for the ride," by the way.
Edit- I guess I feel like it's if Heroes of the Storm had a random WoW Orc Shaman instead of Thrall, or a random Human Death Knight instead of Arthas, know what I'm saying? Sure, you're controlling the character and such but they themselves aren't really the stars of the show.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Like how the Inkling saved the Great Zapfish on Splatoon's single player campaign? :p

As long as the end result is a charming character with a good personality, I'm rather indifferent to how much they do or do not have in the actual source game.

I wouldn't say that the mayor of a town who decides everything that goes on in the game is "just along for the ride," by the way.

That's a good point, I'd forgotten that you were mayor in New Leaf.

Reila

I purposely didn't include the Robins on this one- You can customize them sure but they're still incredibly relevant to the plot of the game.
So are the Inklings. Don't forget that the avatar, aka Agent 3, is the one to defeat DJ Octavio in the story mode. Both Callie and Marie failed at that :p

I understand not wanting another avatar-like character in Smash, after all both Villager and Robin received a bit of negativity when they were announced, but honestly? Those are my favorite kind of characters. So much that even though I dislike Fire Emblem Awakening, Robin still is one of my favorite newcomers. Villager is my main and if Inklings get in, I will probably replace Meta Knight with them or something like that, lol.

I would like Callie and Marie to be part of the Splatoon stage. Maybe they could appear in the Inkopolis stage in specific circumstances, like K.K Slider in Smashville/Town and City? Also, can you have DJ Octavio as an Assist Trophy? Pleaaaaaase?
But doesn't Heroes of the Storm have a few random characters, like Lili? I am honestly not very familiar with Blizzard's games, even though I play HotS daily.

And again, Inklings are most definitely the stars of Splatoon.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
While I wouldn't mind just getting a Splatoon stage in smash 4, I think if we don't get the Inklings as DLC this time around we won't get anything until 5. It just seems like we wouldn't get one without the other although I wouldnt mind being wrong.

Gotta love how every page or 2 someone revives the Callie Marie playable character discussion. Do they have their own thread?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes! Gimme a Splatoon stage in SSB4... and then by the time SSB5 comes around, we will have two Splatoon stages (one from SSB4 and a new one) in one game. :awesome:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
While I'd be happy with a Splatoon stage, I really doubt we'll get a stage with no characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
While I'd be happy with a Splatoon stage, I really doubt we'll get a stage with no characters.
We got several stages with no characters.

Smashville in Brawl... but we didn't get Villager till SSB4.

We got Balloon Fight but no Balloon Fighter. We got Find Mii but no Wandering Heroes (yeah, yeah, Mii Fighters, but I'm talking about the cat Miis, dog Miis, and bunny Miis).

Reila

Smashville in Brawl is a good example, since we only got Villager in Smash 4.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
The difference between this and smashville is that smashville came with the game where as a Splatoon stage is DLC. The previous DLC stages were either tied to a charater (Ryu) or just throwback stages. Miiverse was an exception. The Mario Maker stage is already from a represented series and they can't really tie a character to it.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
The difference between this and smashville is that smashville came with the game where as a Splatoon stage is DLC. The previous DLC stages were either tied to a charater (Ryu) or just throwback stages. Miiverse was an exception. The Mario Maker stage is already from a represented series and they can't really tie a character to it.
You can't really say that there's any sort of pattern for something that's only happened once (stages for new franchises being bundled with a character). We've barely had any new DLC stages, so anything is possible at this point.

Reila

What is impeding a Splatoon stage from being another "exception"? There are no rules or patterns when it comes to Smash Bros.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Fair points. There aren't exactly patterns in smash. I was just trying to look for previous DLC for reference, which if you think about it in terms of "patterns" like cutting a FE character in each smash or adding a new link variation, both of these believed patterns where broken by smash 4.

I called Miiverse an exception because it was revealed well before launch but for some reason took forever to come out. It also is tied to Nintendo or smash in general since it doesnt really have a series.

There really isn't any evidence to support my opinion on not having dlc stages for new series without characters, but I'll still stand by it.

I wonder if Nintendo will do anything about that TF2 map. What can they do? Ask to take it down?

Random thoughts, but I can see the inklings appearing in another Nintendo game like Mario Kart 8. Doubt it will happen (Kirby would by my pick for next dlc Nintendo character) however their bright colorful style would fit right in.

Reila

Random thoughts, but I can see the inklings appearing in another Nintendo game like Mario Kart 8. Doubt it will happen (Kirby would by my pick for next dlc Nintendo character) however their bright colorful style would fit right in.
I was legit surprised by the Animal Crossing DLC for Mario Kart 8, but after the initial shock, nothing surprises me anymore, so I could see Inklings appearing in Mario Kart 8 or the next one. I am also expecting a Kirby pack for Mario Kart 8, but after this long I am not sure if the game will get more DLC support ;_;

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
If they were to get into Mario Kart, I would hope they'd get a roller as their cart/wheels. Make it kind of...steam roller ish. And it'll leave a ink trail as they drive. XD

Last edited:
Top Bottom