• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Man the Inklings would make for great alt. costumes: male, female and different variations in clothes, and of course, colors.
Really hope Splatoon becomes a hit, it looks so great.
Maybe if we combine our powers and pray for the game's success, our hopes will come true!

Anybody else got a Blue Lantern Ring handy?

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This turned out to be a longer post than I intended, but hopefully you guys can still bear with me through it. :)

I guarantee voice chat would be nightmare for Nintendo to moderate. Necessary evil or not, team based shooters + actual target audience of young adults = recipe for disaster.
not like individual groups/parties aren't used to using Skype anyways
That's seemingly all under, or at least primarily under the voice chat with randoms umbrella. And while it would be nice to have the option of unlimited voice chat (with the mute option of course), I can understand why voice chat with randoms isn't a thing, and I don't fault Nintendo for it. Like Wintropy said, baby steps.

However I don't believe there is a valid reason in 2015 why a team-based shooter that emphasizes its online elements is lacking voice chat with friends. It's unfortunate it was not more present in games like Kart and Smash, but even with multiple people those games are still largely an individual or free-for-all experience, so it's understandable and not a huge deal. Yes, you can be on teams in Smash, but the game isn't built ground-up for team-based gameplay like Splatoon is. It's still you vs. them instead of us vs. them, as Splatoon is. Imagine if the only online option for Smash was Team Smash, you couldn't have a local teammate, and there was no voice chat. Better yet, imagine you're playing FE online with three others on your team, and each of you controls... for example, five units. So it would be 20 vs 20 but you couldn't control 15 of the units on your side, or communicate with those who can. It'd work, and Splatoon definitely will work, but none would provide an experience as full or as deep as they could. And that should be the priority when making a game. Delivering the best possible experience. It's not protecting children from adults, it's not sparing adults from children, even if that was Nintendo's duty, which it's not (it's the parents' duty), they've shirked that by allowing communication with friends outside of games. All this would do is allow for that communication to extend into a game where communication is important.

You wouldn't be communicating with just anybody, you'd be communicating with people you presumably have had some form of contact with before. And is that a nightmare to moderate? I guarantee it wouldn't be as much of a nightmare to moderate as Miiverse. You wouldn't even need particularly heavy-handed moderation: if anyone was problematic, you could mute or remove them from your friends. Or... just not Splatoon with them. Some moderation would be necessary, but that's like saying some testing is necessary. It might be a pain for the devs, but to create a better experience it's just part of the package. And it's pretty much a given at this point with every company but Nintendo. Granted, sometimes Nintendo marching to the beat of their own drum is a good thing, but in many instances, this being one of them, it's not. It's denying gamers a richer experience simply to satisfy Nintendo's own dogma. There might be a problem or annoyance here or there, but that doesn't compare to the effect of Nintendo limiting the game's potential to such a degree.

And yes, skype is definitely a solution, but it shouldn't have to be. In fact it's not a solution, because that implies the problem has been dealt with. It's a stop-gap measure, with the problem being gamers resorting to an external source like skype to get the most out of a game which is fully capable of providing what that external source adds, yet simply chooses not to. You're absolutely right Issy, people are used to using skype for these things, and doesn't that show how inherently wanting some of these experiences can be? Not to say they're not still enjoyable, not to say they're not still great games, just that it's second nature to Nintendo gamers how lacking a feature other companies have included for nearly a decade is that they have to resort to a whole other program just to get on the same level?

It's not other companies being too cavalier with their communication features, it's Nintendo refusing to adapt. And it's killing them. Slowly, sure, but noticeably. By no means is it the only factor hindering Nintendo, really it's all just indicative of a larger problem which is better left for another rant, but when Nintendo touts the online aspects of a team-based shooter they've created and hope to make a big-name IP, the "Mario Kart of shooters", don't you think they should at least offer something that's been a part of the genre and gaming everywhere else for ages that enhances the experience many times over how much it may detract?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think voice chat with friends is a make or break addition to Splatoon, it should still be a super fun game even without it, just that it's pretty undeniable and pretty clear that it would make the game better and deeper, which should be Nintendo's priority. Yet they've made the very conscious decision to omit it for no good reason at all, which frankly verges on to anti-consumerism and continues to highlight Nintendo's lack of comprehending western gaming.

There's baby steps, and then there's shooting yourself in the foot.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't disagree, but it's still something they're going to have to overcome one way or another if they want to at least keep their head above water, and Splatoon really would've been a good place to start. I guess we'll have to keep waiting for Nintendo to get the message that they're a game maker first and foremost, not a child protection agency.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
So how does everyone feel about there being 3 main types of weapons, but multiple versions of those three types?

We have:
Constant firing.
Melee.
Charge.

The constant firing ones usually differ by the rate at which they fire. You have the standard one which shoots medium amount while doing medium damage and splash. Then you have the fire work launcher which is one fired usually but does major damage.

Melee we have only have one explained so far. Being the paint roller. However, we have seen the paint brush before.

The chargeable one is of course the splat charger and we have seen another one by name.

So with all this I've been thinking about a smash bros moveset. Especially with how everything has been described.

First let's talk about ink.

Ink does the following to the opponent - While standing in it, opponents are slowed down, (speed wise not animation wise), as well as their attacks do less damage and knockback. They also have a random chance to trip. A slightly small one, but still a chance.

While you are standing in it = Damage and knockback to opponents increase, also allows use of down special when standing in it.

Ink stays on the field for 10-20 seconds. Still thinking about if it can be washed off with water moves or not.

Jab - splattershot. As standard as you can get. Can go decently far. I say further then Mega man's pellets. Aims slightly upwards. Does ok damage. *paints*

Dash attack - paint roller - The only hitbox is on the roller. So you have to be careful about it, but getting the hit deals great damage and knockback. *Paints*

Forward tilt - Splattershot jr. Goes further and faster then Splattershot, but at the cost of damage. Goes in a straight line forward. *paints*

up tilt - Does a tiny jump as a squid. "Get off me" tool.

Down tilt - Does a tiny headbutt as a squid. Poke tool.

Forward smash/Up smash - Blaster/52. Gallon. Honestly these two seem interchangeable. Blaster probably fits up smash because of the "fire work" aspect. Both do great damage and decent knockback while the paint is flying, but the "sweetspot" is only when the paint explodes. Getting right in the center of the explosing has amazing kill potential. Of course, both moves have heavy end lag as they are pretty amazing tools. Even if you miss, there is still some ok splash damage potential. *Both paint*

Down smash - paint brush. Despite barely knowing anything about this weapon, we do know it is a melee weapon. And it is small enough to do a sort of spin attack.

N-aerial - Splatter shot. Pretty much like her jab.

Forward aerial - a twirl in squid form.

Up air: A flip kick.

Down air - Quick ink rifle - shoots a stream of ink downward. Goes all the way downward, but the hitbox is kinda small. Only meteors at the start, but still good for gimping.

Back air - A very hard hitting paint attack (Can't think of anything off the top of my head for this sorry).

Now for the main event! Specials!

All three of the specials are pretty important so here we go.

Neutral special - splat charger. When reading how they describe this thing on the tumblr, it only makes sense. When you press the b button, you start charging the rifle. This weapon requires a full charge to fire, but when it does, it basically sprays ink the size of Final destination, covering that stage, (and other omegas) entirely! Does great damage and knockback, (though it is easily shielded). A very important move to cover the stage.

Up-Special - Squid jump. Just a standard recovery special.

Down-special - Squid Swim - Can only be used when you are standing on ink. Other wise, you will be transformed into a squid in a very vulnerable state. Anyway, you dive into the ink making your hurtbox verrry small. Your movement speed is increased dramatically, (you become one of the fastest in the game). You also get access to a very powerful move. Pressing down special again while in the ink will cause you to do a massively powerful attack that comes out on frame 3ish. You jump out of the ink with incredible brute force while turning back into human form. This attack does leave you vulnerable so watch out.

Other facts about down special:
-Getting hit with any move with hitstun forces you out.
-Camera only follows the players not in the ink.
-When ink disappears, you are forced out.
-Pressing the jump button makes you jump out of the ink in squid form. Squid form does decent damage and good knockback if you jump into an enemy.
-if you don't land in ink while in squid form , you will be in the vulnerable state I mentioned earlier. You will have to wiggle back into ink, or press the down special again.

More facts about inkling:
-Slightly lightweight.
-fastfaller
-Is slower then average
-Luigi height

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Guys! Nintendo Direct tomorrow!

Splatoon info for sure. Maybe confirmation of the Inkling amiibo... but surprise reveal of Smash DLC with playable Inkling?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Considering the game is coming soon, I expect some Splatoon info.

But as much as i want it, I don't expect more Smash infos beside Miiverse and Mewtwo. And tournament mode.

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
Omg this is amazing
you can add me in the supporter list please? :]

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Today is a good day for an Inkling DLC announcement for Smash.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Crazy to think how close we are to getting the game for reals.

If we get new info on Splatoon and DLC character info in this Direct, it may well be the best reveal yet~

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So no Inkling announcement, but they announced we will be able to vote in the next DLC character or somefin like that.

You guys know what we have to do.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Cast my vote already for Inkling and put a link in the OP so everyone can show their support. (I'm so sorry Wolf, but I can't turn down the opportunity to vote in someone new)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Voted for Inkling. Really hope they get in. There inclusion would make me cover my room in ink.

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
As much as I wanted to vote for Inklings... I had to give my vote to Lip, as I have to give my underdog more of a fighting chance ^^;
But if not Lip, I'm certainly hoping for Inklings to make it in! I'm sure you guys got a much better chance, so I wish you all luck! C:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Voted for Inkling!

Here were my reasons:

-Can be female or male (which is good because we could use more females in Smash!)
-Can be dark skinned (which we could also use more characters like that)
-Splatoon doesn't have any representation in Smash! It's the newest member of the Nintendo family!
-Having Splatoon representation would boost the success of this new IP
-They have access to multiple weapons (guns / rollers / grenades / those walls that don't let ink through)
-Squid Form would allow for interesting mobility
-Each of their 8 costumes could have a different color of ink and look totally unique from one another
-Splatoon already has a sweet victory theme!

AvionFinch

Smash Cadet
Put me on that fancy support list. I also voted in Inkling, I was gonna vote Wolf, but honestly with Lucas confirmed, I figure Wolf's a shoe in.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Looks white enough to me. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Has it been said if you can pick your colour or not yet?
It's been confirmed you absolutely can not pick the color unfortunately.

Online is completely random.
Single player there is a specific color attached to each stage.

Anyway, going to cast a vote for Inkling.

Excited for the amiibos and hopefully I can actually get them this time. Going to make 100% certain I can actually get the amiibos I want after the disaster of a time getting Rosalina and Shulk, (Which I still don't have btw.)

Top Bottom