• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I don't know if this has been posted yet:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17deELX3QVDofXksu8roKCl_kyREFSThygPSoEVT2eNs/viewform
If your voices want to be heard for not just Inkling, but for Smash DLC in general, this poll is your best source of action.
When you're done filling the poll, I highly suggest posting a link of this poll on other sites. Sites and communities such as Facebook, Twitter, Miiverse, Splatoon related websites, and My Nintendo News are good places to share this poll. Heck, show it to your friends and ask them to fill it out. This poll ends at the end of March, so we need as many results as we can get.
As for the Inkling, I would love to be counted as a supporter. Splatoon has been on my radar since its announcement, and I can't for it to release this May.
That said, please fill this poll out.
Thank you.

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I think F.L.U.D.D could be an interesting weapon that doesn't have much range, but you can dodge some projectiles and move around faster and safer with the Hover Nozzle. Maybe have the Turbo and Rocket Nozzle as as Secondary weapon, Turbo sends you forward at high speeds like in Sunshine, leaving a trail of ink behind you, however, the controls are stiff with the turning, so you'll be crashing into walls if you're not careful which causes damage. You want to be strategic with it to make sure you don't take damage from using it recklessly. It also gives the ability to run on water like in Sunshine. The Rocket Nozzle leaves a large powerful wave of Ink in all directions as it propels you skyward, it doesn't have many uses, but it can get you out of trouble with ease and can get you to much higher ground. It takes about two seconds to load the nozzle to balance out.

What about Petey Piranha as a boss? It would be great to see him appear again, or what about the Gooper Blooper with all of the Blooper hints and references, heck, any Sunshine boss will do!

Confirmed that Splatoon will be compatible with amiibo, as the tag is in the eShop entry for the game.

https://twitter.com/Dakotam4711/status/575143327487500288
This could lend credence to that Amiibo leak, if it's true, I'm preordering those Amiibo. I'm not risking another Pit situation.

An Inkling trailer should start out looking like Mario Sunshine 2.

Have Mario running around cleaning up ink all over the place with FLUDD, only to find an Inkling spreading it around.

There is literally nothing more perfect.
I really want a Sunshine 2/HD/3D/whatever. Nintendo, please don't tease me like that!

I guess Inklings in Smash would be about equal payoff in hype, but it'd still be a bit disappointed for the lack of Sunshine.

I wonder if I've made my point that I love Sunshine yet?

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I just thought of something. Yoshi amiibo could unlock the Sunshine version of Yoshi as a weapon in Splatoon, with the fruit juice working like ink.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm going to be honest with you;
I love how the Inkling is posing like Sonic.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've been listed as a supporter yet.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
I love everything so far about this new IP!
Really hope Splatoon will sell well!

I'm going to be honest with you;
I love how the Inkling is posing like Sonic.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think I've been listed as a supporter yet.
'Cept Inkling is doing it way better. ; )

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I love everything so far about this new IP!
Really hope Splatoon will sell well!

'Cept Inkling is doing it way better. ; )
Splatoon looks amazing! I mean, I was never really demanding for more new IPs... that is, until I played Xenoblade. Ever since then, I have been wanting more fresh experiences from Nintendo and Splatoon looks to fit that bill.

Also, I agree: Inkling does the pose better.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think the best thing about Splatoon is the charm of it. The customization, the character designs and atmosphere, the entire gameplay. I mean watching the pax east video, there was a ton of people who didn't like shooters who were excited for this game.

But I think more then that is the hype. The hype of, "What could possibly be in this game next?"

Going back to the first point, this game is so unique and out there. There are tons of questions we could be asking at the moment.

What are all the different types of weapons?
What are the stages we haven't seen?
What else is there to single player mode?
What are the bosses like? The Final boss?
How far does customization go?
Whats the arcade machine like?
What other modes haven't we seen?
What do amiibos do?

I mean, there is so much more to be excited about that we just don't know. Even with the additional info from the twitter and tumblr.

Then there's the future of the series. Will it become competitive is just one example.

Btw, @ N3ON N3ON , love the Inkling icon you did. : )

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I'm just loving how hyped everyone is for Splatoon. I haven't seen a new IP from Nintendo garner this much excitement in a LONG time.
There's even a ton of fan art already made for the game.

I really think Splatoon has the potential to become one of the most popular Nintendo franchises. Here's to hoping that success can lead the Inkling to Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think Splatoon does have incredible potential...

...With that said, it can potentially be severely hampered by how good or bad the online is. After all, thats the main focus.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, Nintendo proved to me that the online is this time good with games like Smash and Mario Kart... If the opponent have a good internet connexion of course.

But even when playing with americans, Smash have little lag, and I can still hope to hit something with a green shell in Mario Kart. So I have faith in Splatoon's online.

Splatoon's online players, on the other hand... I fear a lot of snipers :troll:

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I have also created a move set.

Inkling mainly uses the basic gun to shoot small blasts and shotgun-esque blasts, but also uses melee combat and other weapons. The paint they use depends on the palette they have.

NORMALS
Neutral jab: A punch, a slap with the gun, than a infinite of small paint pellets with a finisher.

Forward tilt: Hits with gun handle.

Up tilt: Headbutt.

Down tilt: Shoots paint on the ground (causes automatic tripping if hit connects).

Dash attack: A three hitting kick.

SMASH ATTACKS
Forward smash: A paint blast from the gun, similar to a shotgun.

Up smash: Shoots upward.

Down smash: Shoots around itself.

AERIALS
Nair: Equips the shield from Splatoon.

Fair: Uses paint brush from Splatoon with a slash.

Bair: Flips backwards with foot out (meteor smash).

Dair: Shoots a shotgun blast of paint downwards.

Uair: Equips the sniper rifle from Splatoon and shoots upwards.

OTHER
Get up attack: Spin kicks.

Ledge attack: Hits with gun.

SPECIALS
Neutral special: Quick Shot: Inkling shoots a small stream of paint pellets similar to Fox but they can cause flinching.

Side special: Paint Roller: Dashes forward with a paint roller.

Down special: Ink Grenade: Throws a balloon filled with paint.

Up special: Squid Form: Jumps in the air as a squid.

Final Smash: Ink Tornado: Inkling grabs a computer and sends an air strike of paint from Splatoon to hit the center of the stage, the paint will gradually expand the area and will soon explode.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Miyamoto comments a bit more detail on how Splatoon almost ended up a Mario game. Also, his opinion on the design of the Inkling.

http://time.com/3747708/nintendo-shigeru-miyamoto/

“At one point during development, we held a small internal review of the game,” explains Miyamoto. “We had found that the ink-battle play mechanic was fun, and the team was working very hard to brush up on that aspect at that time, but we were losing the freshness of the game the more the team worked on it. The thing which concerned us most was the main character. It looked as if it could be found in any game and lacked uniqueness. So, I told the game’s producer and the director to even consider using Mario if we could not find the right character. I also explained to them why I was providing such a suggestion.”

“A few weeks later, they gingerly approached me with the squid-like character, and we decided on that direction right on the spot. The director and others who nervously brought the squid character to me must have been surprised with my positive reaction, but at the time, I didn’t accept it for lack of better options. I actually thought, ‘This must be it!’ It’s fun to nurture something so unique, and I’m glad that they were able to experience bringing it to fruition.”

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
http://splatoon.nintendo.com/ is now live.

May can't come soon enough.
So I checked the site. Pretty cool but quite lacking. Usually sites like this have a bunch of tabs to go through, but it is pretty much just one page.

After the next nintendo direct, (Whenever that is), it will probably be updated.

Also, checking out the pre-order, it is 60 dollars. I don't know if we knew that already, but it did surprise me. Was expecting it to be a 40 dollar game.

Nintendo seems to have a lot of faith for this game if they are sure of making it cost 60 bucks. We will all see if it was worth it in the coming months.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The game has a single-player campaign, online multiplayer, and what looks like deep customization.

$60 isn't that suprising imo.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Prediction: 10 Screenshots for Inkling's profile page.

Main assumption being only Female Inkling is playable and Orange is the default.

- Close-up of Inkling looking at the camera while holding her gun above her shoulder and behind her head. The background shows the Battlefield stage at daytime.
- In the Delfino Plaza stage, Inkling is seen running around firing her gun. Mario, with FLUDD active, is seen chasing her.
- Inkling uses the Paint Roller attack, while Ness, Pikachu and Duck Hunt are seen running away to avoid getting paint roll'd.
- Four different colored Inklings battling around in a Wii U Splatoon-themed stage.
- Inkling is seen running away from the water spurt from Pac-Man's Fire Hydrant. Pac-Man is seen atop the hydrant doing his "Lazy Afternoon" taunt.
- Inkling and Zero Suit Samus next to each other aiming their guns in the same direction.
- Inkling is seen smiling while looking at the camera. Behind her, Peach, Zelda and Palutena are seen, with all their pretty dresses stained with ink.
- Kirby, with Inkling's copied ability and wearing Inkling's "hair" and eye mask, doing a footstool jump above Inkling's head.
- Inkling in squid form is seen popping out from an ink puddle on the ground, while Luigi and Toon Link look shocked in surprise.
- Three different colored Inklings showing off the 3DS Splatoon stage.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So no voice chat even with friends confirmed...

I mean I'm still looking forward to this game like crazy, but ffs Nintendo... it's a team-based online shooter.

Sometimes it really seems like they take two steps forward and one step back.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So no voice chat even with friends confirmed...

I mean I'm still looking forward to this game like crazy, but ffs Nintendo... it's a team-based online shooter.

Sometimes it really seems like they take two steps forward and one step back.
Baby steps are still steps.

It's something, at least.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

I guarantee voice chat would be nightmare for Nintendo to moderate. Necessary evil or not, team based shooters + actual target audience of young adults = recipe for disaster.

not like individual groups/parties aren't used to using Skype anyways

Staarih

Smash Master
I couldn't care less about no voice chat to be honest haha.

I'm loving all the footage we've got today, May can't come soon enough!

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Y'know mute buttons exist for those who have problems with voice chat. That's kinda how they've been doing it for years now. Kick Player buttons seem severely lacking as well. But I digress...
They should at least give some sort of text prompts for communication or something. Not even something to drop little beacon points to say "go here" or anything? Its a frigging team based shooter for frick's sake.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Well, I noticed in a video on a French site that the D-pad seems to be used to communicate, with "C'mon!" and "Nice!" so far.

It's seems that some european website had the chance to try Hero mode and a Zone defense mode.

Here are 3 videos:

Hero Mode: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/420546/splatoon-un-peu-de-solo.htm
Turf War: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/420548/splatoon-c-est-la-guerre.htm
Zone Defense: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/420547/splatoon-une-histoire-de-zone-de-peinture.htm
Oh hey nice catch. No ones brought that up but I can totally see it now in the IGN videos. Interesting... They seem more like taunts or random bouts of encouragement rather than commands but it's something I suppose.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know how some stages are more prone to lag than others in Smash?

I guess maybe the paint spreading is something that results in even worse lag and no voice chat is one of those steps to soften the blow. (not saying I like this, but at least I'm trying to understand)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Yeeeeeeeees! More Splatoon news! <3

New stages look awesome.

Single player looks fun! I have a strong feeling the levels get longer later down the line. You only have three lives during the stages shown off, but in the november direct you could have like 5.

New super weapon I've seen being the "The killer wail" looks great.

Paint roller looks like a much better tool then I'd imagine, but don't think it will be my go to yet.

Now that we see gameplay with multiple weapons, the strategies really seem to shine.

No voice chat is worrying. It doesn't affect me, but I have to wonder how that will affect sales and ratings.

With that said, there is one thing that is looking to be incredibly disappointing. Going through the gameplay videos. It seems plain as day you probably won't get to choose a default color at all.

Not only do the multiplayer matches make you get a random color, (which actually makes sense), but the Single player does as well. (Which doesn't make sense).

And that really brings me down. This games boast customization, yet the biggest part of the character most likely can't be. :/

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't see the big deal with voice chat. But then, I don't play shooters in the first place.

I just know that I don't want to hear a bunch of cursing brats and I'd rather not do any talking myself.

I will be disappointed if I can't pick my colour in any way at all, though.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I agree with James, I'm not inclined to speak to people even when I'm online.

It's still a bizarre step not to include it at all, but I'll take a taunt / prompt system if it works. It'll be like playing Dark Souls and SCV all over again~ :3

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Man the Inklings would make for great alt. costumes: male, female and different variations in clothes, and of course, colors.
Really hope Splatoon becomes a hit, it looks so great.

Top Bottom