• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I've read the last few pages and yes it is quite obvious that the female Inkling is more advertised than male, but are people saying on here that if she was in Smash it'd only be the female? They'd probably get the Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/Robin scheme, 4 colors for each gender

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I've read the last few pages and yes it is quite obvious that the female Inkling is more advertised than male, but are people saying on here that if she was in Smash it'd only be the female? They'd probably get the Villager/Wii Fit Trainer/Robin scheme, 4 colors for each gender
As long as two of the female Inklings come in purple and green, I'd be all good.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Too few options. They'll probably have as much colors as there are in Splatoon and have both female and male versions of those colors. So far there's Blue, Orange, Purple, Lime, Aqua, and Pink.

Also as long as we get a good spread of skin tone too cause yellow with darker skin looks so fricken cool.
You must be a fan of Ganguro, huh?

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If Little Mac can have 8 colors only for a stupid Wireframe skin (the reference is cool, but 8? Was it needed? Meanwhile, Wario is stripped from all his cool Brawl alts), Inklings can and should have more than 8 costumes.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Too few options. They'll probably have as much colors as there are in Splatoon and have both female and male versions of those colors. So far there's Blue, Orange, Purple, Lime, Aqua, and Pink.
We do have eight colors for the Inkling confirmed. In addition to those you mentioned there's also Yellow and White. (The White Inkling has a shade of Teal).

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I believe this screenshot has all the Inkling colors confirmed so far.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That weapons shopkeeper looks like an anthropomorphized version of that bespectacled Minion from Despicable Me! I'm really curious as to what sea critter inspired his design. :laugh:

As much as i love the first 3 seasons, when i saw that episode where Squidward gets his toenail yanked out, i stopped watching the show.
They go overboard with their "humor" lately...
Feels like they're trying to go for the Ren & Stimpy squick route, but fail to capture how that show made it work. Pre-movie Spongebob struck a balance between wit and stupid antics.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Yesss, black color! : )
I hope there's going to be amiibo content.
Wouldn't mind it being something as simple as a Mario hat for scanning a Mario amiibo.
Or weapon skins designed after other Nintendo character! (A Bowser-cannon would be sweet!)

Feels like they're trying to go for the Ren & Stimpy squick route, but fail to capture how that show made it work. Pre-movie Spongebob struck a balance between wit and stupid antics.
Yeah, it used to be funny when Spongebob acted annoying.
Now it's just... well, annoying. XD
Oh well.
I heard the original creator (Steven Hillenburg) will work on the new (3D-animated) one, so i'm kinda curious/looking forward for that one.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wouldn't mind it being something as simple as a Mario hat for scanning a Mario amiibo.
Or weapon skins designed after other Nintendo character! (A Bowser-cannon would be sweet!)
agreed outfits and weapons based on amiibo characters would be cool

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Sure, why not? Nintendo's apparently holding their noses to the grinding stones about making sure people wanna get up and go get splatoon, so you can count me in.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Haven't visited this thread in a long time, but am I glad to see more Splatoon news! Maybe when the game comes out I'll take a look at the Squidboards forums - see what they're like.
As for Splatoon appearing at APEX 2015, that's great! I'm looking forward to it! Is there any information on if they'll be streaming it and at what time it will be? Also...
is she a Vampire Squid? :p She's got very dangerous looking fangs.

I'd also like to consider myself a supporter of the Inklings in Smash Bros.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision

Quillion

Smash Hero
So, how do you guys feel now that Nintendo will be hosting Splatoon at this year's Apex event? If anything, Nintendo realize the competitive potential that this very game could have after its release for years to come.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/560221460208164864/photo/1
Nintendo has been calling Splatoon "competitive" since the very beginning. They're pretty much taking the inverse of Sakurai's approach to Smash (4): prioritize the competitive aspects while put secondary focus on the casual aspects. With the way they've designed the game (that you shoot anything and you're rewarded for it), it's safe to say they REALLY know what they're doing on the casual side.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Aww, that was a fake twitter? Well, don't I feel silly now

...I almost want Anemo to have the weapons as the Splatoon rep, I like her design waaaay more than the Inklings'.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
amiibo unlock ideas:

Mario: Unlocks FLUDD (Weapon) and Mario Hat
Luigi: Unlock Poltergust (Weapon) and Luigi Hat
Peach: Princess Crown
Bowser: Spike Shell Armor (Adds HP/Resistance)
Bowser Jr.: Shadow Mario Paintbrush (Weapon)
Donkey Kong: DK Barrel (Weapon, is thrown forward like a traditional barrel throw in DK games, breaking in a huge splatter of ink when it hits an enemy or a wall)
Diddy Kong: Peanut Popgun (Weapon) and Nintendo Cap.
Link: Bow and Arrows (Weapon, arrows shot splatter paint on contact) and Link Hat.
Fox: Blaster Gun (Weapon) and Fox's Scouter as headgear.
Robin: A tome that shoots ink instead of magic as a weapon, plus the Tactician robes as clothes.
Lucina: Butterfly Mask
Shulk: Shulk's Jacket
Sonic: Sonic Shoes
Mega Man: Crash Bomb (Weapon, fires a missile that latches on the opponent and splatters ink when it explodes)
Pac-Man: Fire Hydrant (Weapon, works exactly like in Smash except with ink instead of water)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Count me in on the support train. I don't necessarily think it's likely, but I definitely wouldn't mind it happening.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
amiibo unlock ideas:

Mario: Unlocks FLUDD (Weapon) and Mario Hat
Luigi: Unlock Poltergust (Weapon) and Luigi Hat
Peach: Princess Crown
Bowser: Spike Shell Armor (Adds HP/Resistance)
Bowser Jr.: Shadow Mario Paintbrush (Weapon)
Donkey Kong: DK Barrel (Weapon, is thrown forward like a traditional barrel throw in DK games, breaking in a huge splatter of ink when it hits an enemy or a wall)
Diddy Kong: Peanut Popgun (Weapon) and Nintendo Cap.
Link: Bow and Arrows (Weapon, arrows shot splatter paint on contact) and Link Hat.
Fox: Blaster Gun (Weapon) and Fox's Scouter as headgear.
Robin: A tome that shoots ink instead of magic as a weapon, plus the Tactician robes as clothes.
Lucina: Butterfly Mask
Shulk: Shulk's Jacket
Sonic: Sonic Shoes
Mega Man: Crash Bomb (Weapon, fires a missile that latches on the opponent and splatters ink when it explodes)
Pac-Man: Fire Hydrant (Weapon, works exactly like in Smash except with ink instead of water)
I wouldn't mind getting a laurel wreath for Pit and a goddess halo for Palutena.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last time this kind of event happened was with Miahstorm with the Bandanna Dee Trailer at Comic-con only to disappoint us later on. :p
I don't think Inkling would be revealed at APEX.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
More than willing to support the Inklings. I see plenty of potential with them, and it's a new IP that Nintendo seems to be supporting. The only question is if we'll be receiving any DLC after Mewtwo...

is she a Vampire Squid? :p She's got very dangerous looking fangs.
Supposably their teeth are inspired by real squids. Ever see a squid's teeth? It's crazy looking... But they draw a lot of inspiration from those creatures and implement them with the Inklings. I think there's a photo running around showing that Inklings in human form have 10 points on their body like the squids 10 tentacles.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Way to judge something based on them having bad teeth. That's just rude :troll:
It's just the single central fang on the lower jaw. It would've been better if they went with two fangs on the lower jaw like a vertically symmetrical vampire.

Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Ever since Splatoon was announced last E3, I've been wanting to see the Inkling in Smash Bros, perhaps as a possible DLC, but I suspect Smash 5 will be the big debut of the Inkling as a playable character. I hope I'm wrong and this Apex announcement means Inkling DLC for Smash since they have Splatoon alongside the event. We shall see. I don't want to get my hopes up or anything. At the moment, Mewtwo is the only DLC character and until there's an official announcement or evidence backing more DLC characters, I will only view Mewtwo as the only character we are getting for Smash 4. That being said, I fully support the Inkling character from Splatoon to be a playable character in Smash either as DLC or for Smash 5! It NEEDS to happen! ^w^

D

Deleted member

Why did it take me so long to find this place.

I support.~

I suddenly really want to think about additional moveset ideas too.~

Top Bottom