• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Remember that arcade-looking Splatoon clip from the last trailer?

The one at 1:04?

Well see that arcade machine in the background?

IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Yep, looks like the orange haired girl will get the spotlight if Inklings get into Smash. Didn't really doubt that because of the initial e3 trailer though.!
That and the female design has the most pronounced design that evokes Squid features (her hair strands are literal tentacles and the general head shape falls most in line with the squid formation).

Also this game starting to give me off this Jet Set Radio and The World Ends with You vibe

Seriously, this game just oozes style and I'll be strongly disappointed if there no hint of Splatoon stuff in Smash 5.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
I was reading a recent sales press release from Nintendo when I noticed this line:
“Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.

It looks like Nintendo really are pushing Splatoon as their next big game.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It looks like Nintendo really are pushing Splatoon as their next big game.
I really hope that Splatoon becomes one of Nintendo's big and continuing franchises. Inklings definitely need to be a staple Nintendo character like Villager. I'm glad that the female one is the main one, too.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I really hope that Splatoon becomes one of Nintendo's big and continuing franchises. Inklings definitely need to be a staple Nintendo character like Villager. I'm glad that the female one is the main one, too.
yeah, in general its nice to see nintendo having more diverse representation. I mean you can understand generally why there are more men then females in smash (because (rather sadly) most their IP where created in a time where no one really cared), but its nice to see them trying their best to change that with New IP. Infact, it seems that nintendo is moving heavily towards a lot of character customization stuff.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I don't really want that plaza to be a Splatoon stage either, you could use something from the VS maps or the story levels

Plus it would interfere with the Scramble Crossing being a World Ends With You stage =P

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Why do I think this is a bit too much true? Oh, yeah. Because it is.
Should've used a bearded lumberjack for the adult pic. I don't think that guy is tough enough to handle Splatoon and the might of its militaristic crabs.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This applies to a lot of Nintendo games, in fact.

But most people think that Nintendo games are "for kids", while it's just for everyone.

And seeing too much people thinking that somewhat makes me sad.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Just remember everyone, squids eat cod fish.

(I haven't posted that joke in this thread yet, have I?)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why do I think this is a bit too much true? Oh, yeah. Because it is.
That's actually how most Nintendo franchises are these days now that the casuals have their Flapping Birds and Candy Crash, the preteens have their M-rated games and/or Minecraft and the only true reliable audience Nintendo is left with are the Nintendo loyalists who love this kind of ****. That's the only reliable audience Nintendo has ever had.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
So with Inkling having at least 8 colors confirmed for Splatoon (Orange, Green, Blue, Light Blue, Purple, Pink, Yellow and White/Teal), it would mean all of her alts in Smash Bros would actually be canonical. How many characters in Smash can actually claim this? Yoshi, Mega Man and Bowser Jr./Koopalings are the ones that come to mind (I want to say Link, Toon Link and Kirby too, but I'm not 100% sure on those).

By "canonical" I mean that the character wears this exact outfit/colors in at least one of his/her games.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
What color & gender do you think will be the default for the Inkling? My safest guess is the orange female and blue male. That or they could always go with the light green girl in the Hero's Armor. Might be kind of weird carrying over into the other costumes though. Little Mac case?

That's actually how most Nintendo franchises are these days now that the casuals have their Flapping Birds and Candy Crash, the preteens have their M-rated games and/or Minecraft and the only true reliable audience Nintendo is left with are the Nintendo loyalists who love this kind of ****. That's the only reliable audience Nintendo has ever had.
Sad but true. Thankfully Nintendo has the advantage of decades worth of iconicity on their side to pull people in. Almost anyone can get behind a Mario game and feel joyed.

It's also why I feel like I have some sort of snobbish sense of entitlement over the crowd. Gaming becoming mainstream is a double-edged sword.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I doubt Sakurai even has an opinion on this and tbh i doubt he'll get one before the next Smash.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I've been rewatching the footage, and now the customization looks...weird.

Let's take a look at the weapon shop first:
First thing to notice is that you clearly see what the stats are.

The interesting thing though is that you seem to get weapons in groups and only can use them in groups. You can't trade sub or special weapons out.

More evidence:

As you can see the sub and special weapons look unchangeable. Before people get too mad at this, I just want to point out there seems to be multiple types of each weapon like the two paint rollers or the three sniper rifles. Each with there own set of sub weapons, (and presumably stats).

So there is still a chance for players to get desired stats and weapon.

Now for last image for weapons.

First I want you to take a look at the name of the weapon. " 'Quick' Ink Rifle "

I think the Quick part of the name is what seals the deal on there multiple types of the same weapon.

If you compare this picture and the first one, you will notice the stats are different.

The other weapon had:
Range
Attack
&
Rate

This weapon has:
Range
Charge Rate
&
Mobility

This seems to be the type of weapon rather then unique to every weapon. Also, Barrier is actually a special weapon rather then a sub weapon. Huh.

You also apparently have levels. Heck if I know what that means for customization. Could be a ranking, could be story mode progress, could be actual leveling up with stats increased.

Now, you may be wondering, "all of that doesn't sound too bad." The clothes and accessories are where it gets...strange.

Look back at the image again.

There are no details on what the stats are. It's a picture of the accessory/clothes, 1-3 stars, a symbol, then 1-3 question marks below it.

Now, it is obvious that the stars affect how many question marks there are, but what do the question marks do exactly? Is that the only thing the stars affect? Now for the pictures. Some are easy to tell what they do like this one:
That is obviously a power increase...However...then we get things like...this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 7.26.23 PM.png

So now what do any of those mean?

When it comes down to it, there is a lo of explaining to do with how this system works.

If there is a good thing to come out of this, it is that fact that there is the ability to not have to worry about bad stats with certain outfits if there are indeed multiple versions of them...it will take you forever to get them, especially if it only changes once a day. but it might be possible.

This is all so weeeeiiiirrrrd.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
That's a Splatter Bomb
It having a big X on it makes it look to me like the hoodie prevents you from carrying any in a match in exchange for some other kind of buff.
I dont think that is an 'X' but a little cloud puff that's used for sighing in animes- I think it is a buff in throwing height or range.
Example of the sighing puff thing I mean:

Edit: also in the white star stickers on the upper right corner of the display for apparel items there appears to be clothing brands... I wonder if that is significant.

Last edited:

ϟPlazzapϟ

Smash Apprentice
Just some ideas but the super jump as a recovery seems to leave a faint trial of paint in the game that is just there for cosmetics, what if that trail left some paint to fall on the battlefield, it could give the move more purpose besides recovery.

Also i feel like having paint damage or push players would be weird, so why not have paint coat opponents for a few seconds, and during that time anywhere they go will be covered in paint, spreading the ink to inklings advantage.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Seems like Splatoon being featured at APEX is a possibility.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=975308

http://squidboards.freeforums.net/thread/101/splatoon-apex-2015

:)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a surprise announcement of Inkling DLC for Smash at Apex? It is unlikely, but one can dream.
It might be unlikely, but Nintendo has clearly seen how much interest this game has sparked. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at Apex, even if it's just to advertise the game and gauge the reaction. Then maybe DLC later, should that reaction be what they'd expect and more.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Heck, it's too long, I'll definitely watch it later.

The squid research lab released an artwork of two shop owners. No need to say they are cool. And that you probably already saw it. But for those who missed that:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
For those interested.
Interesting ideas, I figured a lot of the stats things on my own though. <3

I will say, there are so many colors in splatoon, and I keep seeing new ones.

I saw a black haired one during the gamexplain video.

Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 7.18.49 PM.png

Edit: After looking at her in higher quality, it's a really really really dark green. Sorry for unwarrented hype. >.>

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Heck, it's too long, I'll definitely watch it later.

The squid research lab released an artwork of two shop owners. No need to say they are cool. And that you probably already saw it. But for those who missed that:
It's like they got the creators of Spongebob Squarepants to smoke something illegal and throw paintbrushes at a canvas.

I love this game so, so much.

MILITARISTIC CRAB.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
Nintendo should be doing all it can to push new IPs, an Inkling in Smash would be great! Although with characters like this where they're Avatars in their games of origins (such as Robin and Villager) I kinda wish they could have you transfer your game data over from said games so the character in Smash looks how yours does in either Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing. Might be hard to do on 3DS but I'd imagine the Wii U could handle it with relative ease. If they ever implemented something like that characters like Robin, Villager and a hopeful Inkling would be that much better.

But of course Sakurai would never so if Inkling ever does come I'd just like different coloured paint/squids for different alts.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
This game went from a "looks nice!" to a "I'M SO GONNA BUY THIS" title.

From what I've seen of the developers tumblr account, the game looks incredibly creative, and they put a lot of love into it.

Splatoon deserves representation in smash.
I'm all for an Inkling as a playable character!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's like they got the creators of Spongebob Squarepants to smoke something illegal and throw paintbrushes at a canvas.
And don't forget making these guys even more likable compared to any modern representation of a Spongebob character.

#ShotsFired

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
And don't forget making these guys even more likable compared to any modern representation of a Spongebob character.

#ShotsFired
As much as i love the first 3 seasons, when i saw that episode where Squidward gets his toenail yanked out, i stopped watching the show.
They go overboard with their "humor" lately...

Top Bottom