• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230363-...i-u-momentum-indie-collabs-cross-buy-and-more

I literally did not know about this article until now.
I guess Inkling does have a good shot of being DLC now. Not a likely one though, the real question is if Sakurai will let a new Nintendo IP like Splatoon have character representation extremely early.

@HeavyLobster
This will probably be the most important article that explains to people why they have a good shot of getting in.
You should add it to the OP.
This is excellent news! Just the idea of Nintendo having it's very own, established shooter makes me tingly! I look forward to Splatoon turning into a major franchise, assuming it does well enough. And, judging from the opinions of people so far, that shouldn't be a problem. HYPE:colorful:!!
This might make the Inklings good candidates for DLC, and it definitely makes them good choices for SSB5!

That last announcement, though...
An Inkling, Wonder-Red, the cut veterans... I can't wait!

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I support! I was originally indifferent about them but the more I think about it, it's a very awesome idea!

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
Anyone else been using an Inkling as their Gunner Mii?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
By the way, the Japanese Splatoon twitter account is doing some kind of pic of the day thing.
If anyone is interested, here is the account: https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/530124190053969921
Why don't other countries get this? It's awesome! According to one of the Pics, the Sniper Gun is called the Charge Gun, so I presume you'll be able to charge the Sniper Shot. That's awesome! I can't wait to use it.
Also, anyone else getting a serious Star Fox vibe off of the Splash Bombs?
Thank you! This was very informative. Also, for anyone like myself who can't read Japanese, there's a link in there to a NeoGaf post that has translated versions of the Pics.
Here's the link:
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=138496255&postcount=1

Last edited:

Nap1400

Smash Rookie
Been a looooooooooong time lurker at Smashboards, figured I might as well voice my support here. Splatoon was the best part of E3 2014 for me and Inkling is by far the character I most want for DLC. Sign me up on the list

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Been a looooooooooong time lurker at Smashboards, figured I might as well voice my support here. Splatoon was the best part of E3 2014 for me and Inkling is by far the character I most want for DLC. Sign me up on the list
Can I be the first to say that your avatar rocks? I absolutely love it! Too much awesome:colorful:!
Also, I guess might as well say it for @HeavyLobster :
Welcome to the Splatoon!!

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Anyone else been using an Inkling as their Gunner Mii?
I attempted to, but in the end she didn't end up looking much like an Inkling. At the very least Nintendo need to make Inkling tentacle hair hat for Mii's so I can make a Mii that actually looks like an Inkling.

Welcome, I love the Avatar.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even though this game isn't out yet, I'm pretty damn surprised that TV Tropes made a Nightmare Fuel page for it so early. I guess that rather creepy Nintendo Direct trailer had something to do with it.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame this game's release is pretty much at the worse time for getting content in Smash (right after release and long before the next one starts development).

Luckily it seems to be a game poised to become a series even if it's only semi-successful. With a second game under its belt, the Smash content will just flow.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's a shame this game's release is pretty much at the worse time for getting content in Smash (right after release and long before the next one starts development).

Luckily it seems to be a game poised to become a series even if it's only semi-successful. With a second game under its belt, the Smash content will just flow.
Yeah it does come at an awkward time but on the other hand I get the feeling that Splatoon will still be popular by the time the next Smash Bros comes around, moreso even. Nintendo really seem to want this to succeed.

Does anyone else hope we'll be able to play as the humanoid octopi in multiplayer? Maybe as an unlockable?

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace

Well Smash Bros 4 is still in development even after it comes out. We have never had a Smash game before that can add content after the game has come out, and I do still think there is a chance that Nintendo decide to promote this game with Smash DLC (even if I don't think it's that likely).

Wether or not the Inklings can stay somewhat popular by Smash 5 if they aren't DLC is something that I'm not to confident about. I could honestly see Splatoon falling off the map once the game is out and not receiving more than a few trophies in Smash 5,

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not entirely out of question to have Splatoon content as DLC.

After all, there's a Yoshi's Woolly World stage in Smash Wii U...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Frankly, I think it's entirely plausible that we see Inklings as DLC. They're easily one of the most unique characters that Sakurai (or the DLC team) could pick, and the series is receiving quite a bit of hype since it's reveal at E3.

Now, Sakurai COULD wait for Smash 5 to add content from Splatoon. But here's my problem with that. That's a LONG TIME. We're looking at half a decade until the next Smash. DLC is a perfect way to introduce new characters/series to Smash. It all depends on what the approach with DLC is. I doubt we'll see much more until next year, or at least further into the holiday season. Mewtwo starting DLC out the gate was a perfect way to begin the concept. But who comes next?

Here is my thought process, and why I think Inklings are a likely/good choice.

1) I doubt every character chosen would fit the same archetype. By that, I mean a number of things. Gameplay style, series role, veteran series newcomer, etc... So basically, they wouldn't all play the same, they wouldn't all be the same thing (so not all villains, not all protagonists, etc...), and I don't think they would all be characters from veteran series. So for example, I doubt we'd see Mewtwo, K.Rool, Dixie and then say, Impa. There's no new series there and to me, that's kinda boring.

I get that DK got the short end of the stick. But for ANY series, even DK, I feel like it should be limited to 1 character. So not Impa + Vaati, K.Rool + Dixie, Wolf + Krystal. They'd want to give you a reason to buy a full pack of characters. If it's all the same thing among them, I feel like that would be boring. Truthfully, the only series I COULD see getting two is DK, but even then I'd still like to see other series get characters as well.

2) Characters who already are in the game as something significant will not be DLC characters (at least I don't think). So Ghirahim, Ridley, or any character who is more than a trophy probably won't be DLC. That eliminates a LOT of choices.

So how do Inklings factor into this? Well, consider these factors.

>hype for the series, big push made by Nintendo
>not a whole lot of characters left in serious contention
(I mean think about it...Lucas could happen, but could also be ignored by Sakurai for a few reasons, Snake is 3rd party and we don't know how that will go, Ridley is a goner, K.Rool and Dixie together may not happen, Pokemon is hard pressed to get ANOTHER character, Wonderful 101 may get ignored based on the fact that it bombed...only a few characters have absolutely nothing going against them. Really,only Wolf and arguably Bandanna Dee escape unscathed.)
>so basically, arguably few characters to choose from for several reasons. Little competition
>original design and unique gameplay possibilities

Not a whole lot to side with my rationale I suppose, but it makes sense. I don't see much negativity with Inklings besides them not releasing yet, but I don't see the problem with that myself.

Thoughts?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
#1 is probably going to happen, since you brought up every, but I feel some of the newcomers will be from already represented franchises, and potentially third-parties. And for all we know, we could be getting two characters (a bit like Tanooki Mario and Peach in the DLC pack), it's a possibility.

It's really all up to Sakurai whether he wants to push Splatoon further (like Nintendo).
And I'm really unsure what the answer will be.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I'm not super-invested in Inkling, but let me just say I'd be shocked if she doesn't end up in Smash 5 at the latest. Multiplayer shooters are guaranteed to build fandoms that last forever - hell (literally), look how many people still play Doom. Even if Splatoon somehow bombs, it's gonna have a rabid enough cult following to guarantee it a slot.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'd bet that nintendo is taking a similar approach to Smash DLC as they did with Mario Kart. Release it a set amount of time in the future to continue to grow your brands and retain interest. (plus selling to an established user base)

That said, Mewtwo's DLC will be VERY telling to the future of smash dlc. Will he come in a "pack" with other stages/items/ats/trophies or as a stand alone? If in a pack, will it be themed? If themed will it be around a certain franchise, or a something more vague like villains?

I think Inkling's best hope is for 3 things to happen.

1. Mewtwo's DLC is part of a pack containing additional content, stages and items being most important

2. Mewtwo's DLC to perform extremely well (this is going on the assumption that you can buy him for some nominal fee if you don't own both versions)

3. Splatoon performs extremely well

All that said, I do believe that Splatoon is the perfect "guinea pig" to test advertising new games in old games through content.

Imagine a world where Nintendo fully embraces cross overs. Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, FExSMT, etc...Let's say that the new kirby is coming out, what's the best way to advertise it? Putting cheap DLC in established games! Like a kirby level for download in Donkey Kong CR: TF or a yoshi's wooly world level in New Super Mario Bros. U. Or an animal crossing course in mario kart to build awareness for the franchise!

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd bet that nintendo is taking a similar approach to Smash DLC as they did with Mario Kart. Release it a set amount of time in the future to continue to grow your brands and retain interest. (plus selling to an established user base)

That said, Mewtwo's DLC will be VERY telling to the future of smash dlc. Will he come in a "pack" with other stages/items/ats/trophies or as a stand alone? If in a pack, will it be themed? If themed will it be around a certain franchise, or a something more vague like villains?

I think Inkling's best hope is for 3 things to happen.

1. Mewtwo's DLC is part of a pack containing additional content, stages and items being most important

2. Mewtwo's DLC to perform extremely well (this is going on the assumption that you can buy him for some nominal fee if you don't own both versions)

3. Splatoon performs extremely well

All that said, I do believe that Splatoon is the perfect "guinea pig" to test advertising new games in old games through content.

Imagine a world where Nintendo fully embraces cross overs. Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, FExSMT, etc...Let's say that the new kirby is coming out, what's the best way to advertise it? Putting cheap DLC in established games! Like a kirby level for download in Donkey Kong CR: TF or a yoshi's wooly world level in New Super Mario Bros. U. Or an animal crossing course in mario kart to build awareness for the franchise!
Splatoon doesn't even have to perform well for them to decide to put Inkling DLC in Smash 4. As stated before, DLC can be used as a promotional tool for the game, especially since Smash 5 is going to be a long ways away and so this is the perfect opportunity to not make people wait for Inkling to be in Smash 5.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
It would be a really good marketing strategy if you got the Dlc character from on upcoming game for free/discounted if you buy and register that game.
Ex.
inkling for buying splatoon
Waddle dee for kirby clay curse thing
Guy from code name steam when you buy code name steam
If it is just the character I imagine it being free for buying a game, though if it's a bundle (character+ stage+ music, etc) I imagine it would be 50% off or something.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but had a few alternate ideas for the Down-B and the Standard-B: The Down-B, serving as a dodge more than anything, would involve the Inkling jumping into the ground as a squid, being a smaller target, and able to traverse anywhere that paint is with great speed, including walls and ceilings. The Standard-B, I think, should be similar to Fox's blaster, but it lobs, has a larger projectile, and leaves paint that has a slippery ice-like surface.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It would be a really good marketing strategy if you got the Dlc character from on upcoming game for free/discounted if you buy and register that game.
Ex.
inkling for buying splatoon
Waddle dee for kirby clay curse thing
Guy from code name steam when you buy code name steam
If it is just the character I imagine it being free for buying a game, though if it's a bundle (character+ stage+ music, etc) I imagine it would be 50% off or something.
As for the guy from Codename S.T.E.A.M., it can easily be Henry Fleming since the story will mostly focus on him (from one trailer so far).

As for using the Inkling for marketing purposes, that will have to be the case for most Smash DLC since several Nintendo All Stars will be saved for Smash 5 while recent/relevant characters can be added as extra content for this iteration of Smash.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
I do wonder if any of the DLC will add more than just a character. It would be amazing if for the Splatoon DLC they added a new stage with music, some new trophies to unlock and maybe an assist trophy (I could see the Octopus girl working as one). Although it might be a bit unrealistic asking for this much since we don't even know how they are going to do the DLC at this point. Or if there is even going to be any after Mewtwo. (it wouldn't make sense to only do one DLC character, but this is Nintendo after all).
As for the guy from Codename S.T.E.A.M., it can easily be Henry Fleming since the story will mostly focus on him (from one trailer so far).
It's obvious what Code Name: Steam character should get in:

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I'm pretty sure that Impa (from Hyrule Warriors), King K Role, and Inklings are pretty high on the newcomer DLC list for smash bros right now.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am pretty sure that King K. Rool is the exact opposite of a likely DLC newcomer. lol

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Uh, guys? This isn't a dlc general topic. >.>

However, going back to how they would probably sell Inkling DLC, looking at Mewtwo, he is most likely only a single downloadable character. Especially since he is a free download with both the 3ds and wii u purchase. Unless he comes out in a pack that has everything being able to be downloaded separately.

With that said, Mewtwo is a veteran from an already nicely represented series so he wouldn't really need a pack. Splatoon on the other hand would probably enjoy being in a pack to really enjoy the benefits of DLC. Alternatively, there is always a chance of a Splatoon amiibo that could transfer Inkling into Smash wii u allowing her to be unlockable in the game.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Um, I'm not so sure that we will get more DLC characters at this point, but the Inklings chances haven't decreased anymore then any other potential DLC character.
In many ways, I would say they've increased. Because by the time they start developing DLC they can already see the character and the game more clearly, and its popularity

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
More info from the Splatoon Twitter:

In turf battles, you can use special weapons by painting the ground and building up power. Below is one of these, the 'Barrier'. For a short time, this will rebound all of the opponent's attacks. It appears that there are other kinds of special weapons to be found as well.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/537127463650742272

That could make a good item in Smash.

NintendoPSX

Smash Journeyman
After having Roy in Smash before his game was even out, Animal Crossing trophies before the game existed, music from and stages from games still in development anything is possible in Smash. Count my vote in for the adorable Inkling.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
After having Roy in Smash before his game was even out, Animal Crossing trophies before the game existed, music from and stages from games still in development anything is possible in Smash. Count my vote in for the adorable Inkling.
I think its a lot more likely that we'll get DLC for inklings post the games release. Considering the game's coming out in the fisrt part of next year, and MewTwo is probably even coming out post its release.

Top Bottom