• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I rewatched both trailers, and I don't see the paint brush (probably missed it in these action-packed trailer), but there's also an Ink grenade!
Here's the Paint Brush and Unidentified Sniper Rifle-esque Weapon, along with a regular Ink Gun and what appears to be the Sniper Rifle.

Also, the Ink Grenades are awesome! If I remember correctly, they use up a fair amount of Ink, but they look like they're definitely worth it. There's also a different kind of Ink Grenade that takes the form of a water ballon that matches your team color. It's filled with Ink, and it explodes on contact, with no timer! However, I'd imagine it does less damage or gets less Ink Coverage, or something to compensate.
I support this idea now. (if i didn't already)
Welcome to the Splatoon, new recruit!
You may or may not recognize me from the The Wonderful 101 thread.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Basic Combo: Standard paint ball gun (Similar to Megaman)

Dash: Squid Form (Goes faster if there's ink on the ground)

Forward Smash: Sniper Rifle

Neutral Special: Bazooka
Forward Special: Paint Roller
Down Special: Paint Brush
Up Special: The huge superhuman jump power the Inklings have.

Final Smash: Paint/Ink Nuke

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Basic Combo: Standard paint ball gun (Similar to Megaman)

Dash: Squid Form (Goes faster if there's ink on the ground)

Forward Smash: Sniper Rifle

Neutral Special: Bazooka
Forward Special: Paint Roller
Down Special: Paint Brush
Up Special: The huge superhuman jump power the Inklings have.

Final Smash: Paint/Ink Nuke
I think you may be onto something here with the Inkling's dash putting her into the Ink. It leaves a lot more room open for her other moves, and it would play more cohesively, I think. I actually really, really like it. *Goes to edit moveset after replying to the following message*
Also the Inkling on the left here has a new gun weapon that we haven't seen in action yet. I'm not really sure what it could do though.
That one really is a mystery. There are a list of functions it could serve, and now that I look at it right, that Sniper Rifle-esque Weapon appears to be a Crossbow. Very interesting. Judging from the way the weapons look, I would guess that @ 8-peacock-8 8-peacock-8 is right about the small red one being a shotgun. Probably does more damage and has a concentrated splatter range. The Crossbow could be a rapid-fire weapon, maybe? That one stumps me, because I can't think of a function that matches that appearance.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think you may be onto something here with the Inkling's dash putting her into the Ink. It leaves a lot more room open for her other moves, and it would play more cohesively, I think. I actually really, really like it. *Goes to edit moveset after replying to the following message*
Well considering ink splatter is a major part of Splatoon... :awesome:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
You know, I really feel like Splatoon has rekindled both my love for Nintendo and for gaming. With all of Nintendo's screw ups and the constant negativity surrounding the Wii U I felt like I had become rather bitter towards Nintendo, sure I was excited for Smash 4 but nothing else really interested me. Tropical Freeze looked like a hd DKCR, Mario Kart 8 was another Mario Kart game and the less said about Yoshi's New Island the better. And it's not like anyone else has had a exciting year for gaming. I was excited to get a PS4 last year and there has still been nothing announced to get me excited for the system. That and I don't know if I like the direction that the gaming industry is moving to with Microtransations and "Cinematic" experiences.

I sat through all the other conferences at e3 this year feeling unimpressed with what they showed, but U really did like Nintendo's showings, particularly Splatoon. Here was a game that was oozing with creativity, and fun. The fact that this game exists makes me happy and gives me hope that not everything in this industry has to be constantly negative all the time. I just hope that this game can live up to my expectations, but I'm sure it will.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wouldn't say Splatoon rekindled my love for Nintendo and gaming (Valve and From Software did that last year, actually), but Splatoon was the main reason I went from "meh, the We + You seems like an okay system" to "omg I need a Wii U ASAP". The thing with the Wii U is that while its library is definitely strong, with a good amount of quality games, most of those games don't appeal to me as they used to appeal back in my childhood. I love Mario and Donkey Kong, but I just don't have the same passion for platformers I used to (I still plan to play TF and 3D World, though ^^;;). Mario Kart is great, but after playing Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, going back to Mario Kart doesn't feel right (for a number of reasons), I could never get into Pikmin (the sound of Pikmin dying is too much for me to handle lol) and the list goes on. This is one of the reasons I was so glad the 3DS was getting Smash too, because I wouldn't need to bother with a Wii U only for Smash (and it so happens the 3DS version is extremely underwhelming in various aspects).

From my adolescence times onward, I have been much more into action/action adventure games (as well as on rail shooters like Kid Icarus, Panzer Dragoon and puzzle/shooters like Portal and Portal 2) and some RPGs here and there, so the Wii U library felt lackluster for my "modern tastes". Fortunately, at the last E3, Nintendo announced Splatoon and showed us more of Xenoblade Chronicles X, the sequel to the game I never finished, but acknowledge the quality. That, plus the fact Nintendo said they are planning two new games for the Metroid series (with Reggie wearing a Samus pin at PAX) sealed the deal for me. There is also Zelda U coming, which I know will be great and Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, which I am sure will never be released.

Anyways, I typed a lot, but what I mean is that Splatoon showed me the Wii U library wouldn't me composed mostly of "more of the same" games and that Nintendo still has the potential to create new, crazy and unique franchises. I am sure a lot of people felt more confident towards Nintendo after the past E3, too :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
am i the only one whos going to wait until ive played the game before making a moveset?

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
am i the only one whos going to wait until ive played the game before making a moveset?
Nah. I want really badly to make a moveset, but I'm gonna wait until we know all the weapons, all the Super Weapons, all the secondary weapons, and everything else that might be revealed. I find it difficult to make a moveset without knowing everything because there's always this nagging in the back of my head like What if this isn't everything. You should wait until you know everything. I don't wait until I've played the game, per se, but I definently wait until I know everything.

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
Idea for a neutral B:
Weapon Change
Cycle between (3?) weapons. at he default all around splat gun, the high range and high speed but low power sniper rifle, and the high power high range but high lag and low speed cannon. (Possibly more than 3 weapons)
the weapon you use changes your smash attacks and possibly your air moves, other a moves, and stats (ex. Cannon slows you down a bit)..
combine this with the paint on ground concept and a ink meter, I think this would be the most unique character yet.

thoughts on my weapon switch idea?
EDIT: Also, PUT ME ON THE SUPPORTER LIST!

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Idea for a neutral B:
Weapon Change
Cycle between (3?) weapons. at he default all around splat gun, the high range and high speed but low power sniper rifle, and the high power high range but high lag and low speed cannon. (Possibly more than 3 weapons)
the weapon you use changes your smash attacks and possibly your air moves, other a moves, and stats (ex. Cannon slows you down a bit)..
combine this with the paint on ground concept and a ink meter, I think this would be the most unique character yet.

Sounds like a good idea. It'd be cool for another character to have modes like Shulk.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Idea for a neutral B:
Weapon Change

EDIT: Also, PUT ME ON THE SUPPORTER LIST!
I like the idea, and it's very cool, but what would the Custon Specials do? My idea was to have Custom Special variants cover stuff like this, but I like the way it's playing out. Perhaps the Inkling could swap out not only Ink Guns, but also Super Weapons like the Paint Brush?

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
I like the idea, and it's very cool, but what would the Custon Specials do? My idea was to have Custom Special variants cover stuff like this, but I like the way it's playing out. Perhaps the Inkling could swap out not only Ink Guns, but also Super Weapons like the Paint Brush?
Customs for the Neutral B could be similar to shulks where they don't change the function of the move but some stats about it.
Ex:
2. Extreeme Ink: Moves involving guns have upsides increased but so are the downsides.
3. Conservative Paint: Less paint is used from th paint meter when using moves, but less paint is applied to ground.
Something like that.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The different weapons should be customs.

However, the customs for each input should be similar-functioning, like a choice between the short-range rapid fire ink gun, or a long range, slow fire ink sniper.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
if different weapons are just customs, than it's worth noteing that they can effect other moves. (As fox and falcos custom blasters do apparently effect their throws)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
You know, I was thinking about how far off Splatoon was, and I thought if something. It's releasing Q2 2015, right? Well, apparently, the 2015 fiscal year started October 1st, so do you guys think it's possible Splatoon is launching Q2 of the 2015 fiscal year? That would mean it would launch in the January-March zone of the calendar 2015. I hope so! It means we get Splatoon earlier, and possibly in time for my birthday:grin:!
Also, you know what'd be cool? A land-mine looking Super Weapon that's designed to be placed on enemy Ink. Basically, the Super Weapon would convert enemy Ink into your Ink, but only if it was touching enemy ink, and it would convert any Ink in direct contact with the patch if Ink it was placed on. Almost like an Ink Infection. Of course, the enemy could destroy the weapon by attacking it, but I think it would serve its purpose well.
I think an Ink Generator would be cool, too. It'd be a kind of Super Weapon that looks sort of like one of those automated vacuum cleaners, and it would automatically paint stuff for you until the enemy team destroyed it.
And Ink Landmine would be awesome. I'd love to see that.
Something tells me I've kept my ideas bottled up for far too long...

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
You know, I was thinking about how far off Splatoon was, and I thought if something. It's releasing Q2 2015, right? Well, apparently, the 2015 fiscal year started October 1st, so do you guys think it's possible Splatoon is launching Q2 of the 2015 fiscal year? That would mean it would launch in the January-March zone of the calendar 2015. I hope so! It means we get Splatoon earlier, and possibly in time for my birthday:grin:!
I think by 2nd quarter they meant April/May/June so... April 1st confirmed.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Splatoon screams Summer to me, so I would imagine a late May early June release is inevitable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
One thing I really think I'd love to see with Inklings is the different uses for the ink itself. For example, shooting ink on the ground will make an opponent slip, thereby setting them up for a grab or punishing move, or even to start a combo. Or, you could use the ink to become a squid and approach, or even recover (if it were usable in the air that way) and even continue a combo hypothetically.

The different weapons could be custom moves. The paint roller could be a down smash or dash attack. Grenades could be a projectile. I don't know how to describe it...but that thing where the Inklings can warp to their teammate could be the recovery. I picture it like Diddy's, where you have to charge and aim it.

Just a few ideas I guess. I really just LOVE the idea of these guys!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
The Grenade could be Down+B. Inkling quickly hides in a puddle of ink in the ground, leaving a grenade behind that explodes a split second later, then Inkling resurfaces. Kinda like Samus' Down+B, except hiding in ink instead of doing the Morph Ball.

Side+B could be like Greninja's Side+B, except with a puddle of ink instead of Shadow Sneak.

What I would love to see implemented is that for Inkling's running animation, it has her shooting ink to the ground while she skates on it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The paint roller is more suited for a D-Tilt, if Inkling is able to crawl, then you could be able create paint as you move to make a long, slippery, temporary surface for other characters.

I'm not sure if I like the grenade idea much, the basic shooting already does that job pretty well if it can be angled.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
The paint roller is more suited for a D-Tilt, if Inkling is able to crawl, then you could be able create paint as you move to make a long, slippery, temporary surface for other characters.

I'm not sure if I like the grenade idea much, the basic shooting already does that job pretty well if it can be angled.
Yeah, you've got a point. The Ink Grenades, as cool as they are, just wouldn't blend well with the rest of the moveset. I think they might work as a D-Smash, where the Inkling throws two down on either side and they exploded instantly. Of course, the Grenades wouldn't be projectiles, because they would hit so close to the Inkling that they could pass as a physical attack, and would probably work better like that. It's not completely unheard of. Olimar did it with a few of his Smashes in Brawl, and I was fine with that.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Geez this thread exploded since I was here last!

Some random thoughts. I wonder if the humanoid octopus is actually a brainwashed Inkling turned cyborg. The body shape is very similar, and far as we know none of the other octopi are like her by any stretch.

Also would be interesting if dolphins and orcas (predators of both cephalopods) are wild neutral beasts that you have to avoid. Highly doubt that though.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
Geez this thread exploded since I was here last!

Some random thoughts. I wonder if the humanoid octopus is actually a brainwashed Inkling turned cyborg. The body shape is very similar, and far as we know none of the other octopi are like her by any stretch.

Also would be interesting if dolphins and orcas (predators of both cephalopods) are wild neutral beasts that you have to avoid. Highly doubt that though.
I think its more likely the octipi trying to replicate squids ability to transform to humanoid form (note the octopus hair). The robot part is probably whats making her into humanoid form

mark welford

Smash Ace
If we are talking about splatoon lore in here I still want to know if the Inkling language actually says something or if it's just gibberish.
Do both genders have the same voice or do males have deeper voices? Also I would not mind if it was a language but if they do not tell us it would add a sense of mystery of do they understand each other at the same time if it is gibberish I think it is kind of cute because of their voice.

Reila

I like the mystery of not knowing what the Inklings are saying (if they are even saying anything).

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I expect the voice acting in Splatoon to be like in Zelda games. (Full dialogue through text, but characters speak in sounds like laughs, screams, gasps, etc.)

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I always thought that if Splatoon was going to have voice acting, it would be kinda like the Mario and Luigi games, or at least parts of it. Basically, the characters talk gibberish, but the difference is that a text box would appear at the bottom of the screen to translate it. In any case, I think voice acting in Splatoon will be minimal. I don't expect the characters to talk except when necessary.

As for the Inkling's apparent written language, I really want to know what it says, if anything. I personally don't think it means anything. I think it's just made up letters put in there for fun. And I'm fine with that! It's nice that they put a language, even if it is gibberish, on hats' tags and posters. It adds a sense of reality to the game. Like it's really it's own world.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
I expect the voice acting in Splatoon to be like in Zelda games. (Full dialogue through text, but characters speak in sounds like laughs, screams, gasps, etc.)
Technically though we have listened to them talk-ish. The songs in game are apparently the songs the listen to in the game universe. So we can assume the 'Splatoon' in the theme and the strange voices in the new song are all inklings.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Game Xplain have put up their Splatoon Analysis. There are some neat things in here so I'd try giving it a look.
This is AWESOME! Can't believe all the stuff I missed. They did screw up at one point, though. They said the Power-Washer was the Sniper Rifle, when in fact they are two completely different weapons. The Sniper Rifle snipes, and the Power-Washer shoots ink in a constant stream. Other than that, it was a great analysis.
I'm particularly interested in those Light-Bulb things. They're really cute, and I'm curious as to why they're the level goals, assuming that's what they are. Maybe the Octopus Army Corps captured them and uses them to power their facilities, and you have to rescue them?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/230363-...i-u-momentum-indie-collabs-cross-buy-and-more
- Nintendo wants Splatoon to break into the action/shooter genre in the way that Mario Kart broke into the racing genre
I literally did not know about this article until now.
I guess Inkling does have a good shot of being DLC now. Not a likely one though, the real question is if Sakurai will let a new Nintendo IP like Splatoon have character representation extremely early.

@HeavyLobster
This will probably be the most important article that explains to people why they have a good shot of getting in.
You should add it to the OP.

Last edited:

Reila

It is not up to Sakurai to let or not, though. If Nintendo wants Splatoon stuff in Smash, there will be Splatoon stuff in Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
It is not up to Sakurai to let or not, though. If Nintendo wants Splatoon stuff in Smash, there will be Splatoon stuff in Smash.
As optimistic that I'm usually am, not necessarily. After all, despite the fact that Game Freak probably has complete control over which Pokémon get into Smash, they just leave it up to Sakurai for his judgement.

Same thing could be for Nintendo in general where they could just trust in his judgement.

Though, with the article bluepikmin just posted, I think they could very much want to push Inkling for Smash. Splatoon is going to need a lot of pushing. Way more then even Wonderful 101 got, as well as lots of positive spotlight, (the latter is looking good so far). It makes sense to put them into Smash.

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
It's clear that Nintendo want to push Splatoon more then other recent Ip's, but wether or not it ends up getting them in Smash we will have to wait and see.

But it seems like anything on the WiiU that isn't a known Nintendo franchise ends up bombing in sales, so It makes sense to put the Inklings in the public conscious via Smash Bros.

Reila

As optimistic that I'm usually am, not necessarily. After all, despite the fact that Game Freak probably has complete control over which Pokémon get into Smash, they just leave it up to Sakurai for his judgement.

Same thing could be for Nintendo in general where they could just trust in his judgement.

Though, with the article bluepikmin just posted, I think they could very much want to push Inkling for Smash. Splatoon is going to need a lot of pushing. Way more then even Wonderful 101 got, as well as lots of positive spotlight, (the latter is looking good so far). It makes sense to put them into Smash.
You are comparing Game Freak. a subsidiary of Nintendo, to Nintendo itself.

You know what, keep believing Sakurai is the one to make all the decisions about Smash and not the people who hired him to make the game, then. While that doesn't mean there will be Splatoon content in Smash Wii U, that definitely means there will be Splatoon content in Smash Wii U if that is what Nintendo wants. It would be interesting to read a bit about the development of games before posting about it, though. Just a heads up. ;)

Little edit: With that being said, as I mentioned above, the fact Nintendo has full control over what happens to its first party franchises, doesn't mean it will want Splatoon to be represented in the current Smash, specifically. Perhaps Nintendo doesn't want to repeat the Roy and Lucas situation again (I am not entirely sure about Roy, at the moment, but as for Lucas, his game ultimately failed to be a hit in Japan and it seems like the game wasn't nearly as loved as Mother 2/Earthbound). So yeah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom