• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

Sirlinkerz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
linkerz999
Out of the blue, but we should totally make WWII style propaganda posters! I'm not the greatest in GIMP, I made this one out of the blue, but hey, it's a thing. (I hope someone makes a better one)

I don't think #InkTheBallot will trend soon like KrokTheVote

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Out of the blue, but we should totally make WWII style propaganda posters! I'm not the greatest in GIMP, I made this one out of the blue, but hey, it's a thing. (I hope someone makes a better one)

I don't think #InkTheBallot will trend soon like KrokTheVote
Brb, going to share this on Twitter immediately.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Nintendo just advertised during Fear The Walking Dead. What do they think Splatoon is geared toward adults or something?!

:troll:

But really I'm happy to see an ad for it.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
So what's the collective thoughts on what Splatoon's Series Symbol should be? Just the squid silhouette, or a generic paint splatter? I think the Squid silhouette all the way.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Squid silhouette. It appears multiple times in the game and would be pretty recognizable.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
The only other one I could see is the Squid Battle icon. The one with two arrows crossing and a pair of eyes on them? But I don't think that's quite as iconic.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So what's the collective thoughts on what Splatoon's Series Symbol should be? Just the squid silhouette, or a generic paint splatter? I think the Squid silhouette all the way.
It should be a paint roller for the extra salt of roller haters, but I think it will definitely be the squid silhouette.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Hey there, kids and squids! Guess what? I've just released my brand-new Inkling moveset over at Make Your Move 17! Revamped formatting, mechanics, moves, balance, writing style, heck, I've even added a home stage with a fully-fledged music selection! Go check it out! If you've already read it, then let me tell you, this new version is completely revamped, and way better than the old one -- at least, I hope it is. .-. And hey, if you've never read it, there's never been a better time to do so! Click here to check it out! It's in the same post as the original, so old links will still work as well. Hey, I plugged the support thread in the moveset, so it's only fair that I do the reverse as well. :) Staaaaaaay fresh!

And sorry for the double post :3

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, kids and squids! Guess what? I've just released my brand-new Inkling moveset over at Make Your Move 17! Revamped formatting, mechanics, moves, balance, writing style, heck, I've even added a home stage with a fully-fledged music selection! Go check it out! If you've already read it, then let me tell you, this new version is completely revamped, and way better than the old one -- at least, I hope it is. .-. And hey, if you've never read it, there's never been a better time to do so! Click here to check it out! It's in the same post as the original, so old links will still work as well. Hey, I plugged the support thread in the moveset, so it's only fair that I do the reverse as well. :) Staaaaaaay fresh!

And sorry for the double post :3
I might have missed it in your moveset, but would the animations for the squid fu differ for the boy inklings? I have a tough time envisioning a shared moveset considering their hair styles.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I might have missed it in your moveset, but would the animations for the squid fu differ for the boy inklings? I have a tough time envisioning a shared moveset considering their hair styles.
"One final tidbit -- since the boy Inkling lacks the girl's two long head tentacles, the boy will generate two tentacles made of ink as a substitute in order to mimic the female's attacks whenever needed."
It's in the costumes section, so it's understandable if you missed it. :)

RosaPeach

Smash Journeyman
Why does people think Inkling will be best for Smash Bros 5. Splatoon is selling very well. Inkling should be added for DLC.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Why does people think Inkling will be best for Smash Bros 5. Splatoon is selling very well. Inkling should be added for DLC.
They're thinking since Inklings are considered to be a strong Nintendo IP that Nintendo will save them for 5 so that Nintendo will have some big characters to announce for that game.

Reila

Because Nintendo will need popular characters to hype the next game. Granted, if the game is far away from release, they might have a lot of new cool characters to add to the game by then (most of the Smash 4 newcomers debuted/became popular after Brawl, after all), BUT here is the thing: It will surely take much less time from Smash 4 to Smash 5 than it took from SSBB to Smash 4, since it is unlikely that Nintendo will not release a SSB for the NX and that thing is supposed to be announced next year already. Though the next Smash could perfectly be a new version of Smash 4 with additional characters and features, instead of a brand new game. Which is actually very likely to happen imo, it just doesn't make sense to develop a brand new Smash so soon, especially with Sakurai and the Smash team focusing on Smash 4 DLC development.

All of that being said, I still have hopes for Inkling DLC, but I will not be surprised if it doesn't happen!

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I think that if Sakurai is indeed saving the Inkling for Smash 5, it's because he wants to do something with it that would be not doable in Smash 4, like giving Inkling the Ice Climbers treatment and giving us "Inkling Duo" or something like that.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I think that if Sakurai is indeed saving the Inkling for Smash 5, it's because he wants to do something with it that would be not doable in Smash 4, like giving Inkling the Ice Climbers treatment and giving us "Inkling Duo" or something like that.
It might just be an issue of reworking the engine to include the ink. I'd imagine there's need to be some changes made -- for example, when you shoot the underside of Battlefield or FD. The collision and visible model don't quite line up oftentimes. Of course, they could potentially do that with an update, although it'd probably require some remodeling of things like that to match the collision.

Reila

Inkling Duo makes absolutely no sense, not sure why are you bringing up this idea. That said, you bring a valid point, there could be ink-related mechanics that would not work well on current hardware, both 3DS and Wii U. 3DS because, well, it is the 3DS... and Wii U because 8 players Smash is a thing.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Inkling Duo makes absolutely no sense, not sure why are you bringing up this idea. That said, you bring a valid point, there could be ink-related mechanics that would not work well on current hardware, both 3DS and Wii U. 3DS because, well, it is the 3DS... and Wii U because 8 players Smash is a thing.
Two Inklings (A Girl and a Boy) being part of one playable character with two separate AIs in the same vein as the Ice Climbers. I don't know what doesn't make sense about that, considering it's just a theory.

Although I really don't see Sakurai adding the ink mechanics to Smash regardless of which version of Smash we're talking about or how he decides to implement the Inkling. Having it interact with every other character, every other stage, and even opponent Inklings seems heavily complicated and much more work than it's worth getting into. I think Inkling will simply be a character that uses ink as projectiles but the ink doesn't paint the ground and walls, instead it vanishes immediately after. She'll also be a hammerspace character which carries a huge arsenal of weapons, but each weapon only appears when she does the required move.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Two Inklings (A Girl and a Boy) being part of one playable character with two separate AIs in the same vein as the Ice Climbers. I don't know what doesn't make sense about that, considering it's just a theory.
In Ice Climber for the NES, Nana and Popo are just a couple kids with hammers. There's not much gameplay potential there. However, the game had a prominent two-player mode, where the two climbers worked together to reach the goal. The game's simultaneous cooperative multiplayer -- unheard of by games like Super Mario Bros., where you were playing completely separately and not really working together at all -- made them unique for their time. Simultaneous co-op was pioneered at least in part by the ICs, so it makes sense that they'd be the ones to use it in Smash. That and they didn't really have much else to draw from aside from that.

The Inklings are the exact opposite. Their game lacks cooperative multiplayer. The local multiplayer that Splatoon does have is anything but prominent. They have tons of moveset potential otherwise, so there's literally no reason to tack on an unnecessary two-player gimmick ripped off from the Ice Climbers.
Although I really don't see Sakurai adding the ink mechanics to Smash regardless of which version of Smash we're talking about or how he decides to implement the Inkling. Having it interact with every other character, every other stage, and even opponent Inklings seems heavily complicated and much more work than it's worth getting into. I think Inkling will simply be a character that uses ink as projectiles but the ink doesn't paint the ground and walls, instead it vanishes immediately after. She'll also be a hammerspace character which carries a huge arsenal of weapons, but each weapon only appears when she does the required move.
There's also no reason not to incorporate the ink mechanics. It might be a bit of extra work, but so were Rosalina's Luma, Ryu's special inputs, Olimar's Pikmin, etc, I'd imagine. I'd say the work is worth it to have a completely unique and, for lack of a better word, "fresh" playstyle for this unique game. Otherwise, there's not much point in having the Inkling in the first place. If they're not going to add the ink mechanics, I'd rather they just wait until they're ready/willing/have the time to. Just look at what happened to Ganon...

Reila

It doesn't make sense because Inklings being a duo in Smash would have zero relation to the character and the game mechanics found in Splatoon. It is nothing like Ice Climbers or even the old idea of Diddy and Dixie being a duo (like they were supposed to be in Brawl). In short, it's a baseless theory.

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
It doesn't make sense because Inklings being a duo in Smash would have zero relation to the character and the game mechanics found in Splatoon. It is nothing like Ice Climbers or even the old idea of Diddy and Dixie being a duo (like they were supposed to be in Brawl). In short, it's a baseless theory.
Inkling...quartet might work, for the 4v4 aspect of it, I suppose. But that's about it.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I haven't played Splatoon yet.. I really would like to see Inkling join the cast!

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
Because of the limitation of the 3DS and Sakurai adamant to keep WIIU and 3DS rosters the same, transforming characters and the ice climbers that act like two characters cannot be added to the roster.

In the next generation console (if nintendo survives) maybe they return. But in this version of smash it just ain't happening.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Because of the limitation of the 3DS and Sakurai adamant to keep WIIU and 3DS rosters the same, transforming characters and the ice climbers that act like two characters cannot be added to the roster.

In the next generation console (if nintendo survives) maybe they return. But in this version of smash it just ain't happening.
The squid would be no different than Pac-man being able to turn into his "2D form".

Edit: Realized you're probably just talking about multiple Inklings and not the fact that they can go from kid to squid.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
The only way multiple inklings would work in a meaningful way would be an assist trophy where four inklings jump around, shoot ink, splat each other and what not. That being said... none of us want the Inklings as AT's

Last edited:

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
I want Octarians as assist trophies. If Inklings get assist trophy status I will be depressed.

Reila

Music is a recurring theme in Splatoon and also one of the best things about the game. So I ask: what Splatoon songs would you like to have in Smash?

I want the following tracks:

Splattack (the main theme)... obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgsBp1NSJTY
Booyah Base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxg0X77Etg
VS. Mode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3fzJetSPu0
VS. Mode 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnOf5pHFiB4
VS. Mode 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKeaLjEuBhk
Untitled (Hightide Era): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2c8F3ltnE
Gusher Gauntlet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3DzPUu_uAI
Single Player Theme 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0myuD5HLOKo
Final Boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY54cdZvuu8
Final Boss (Squid Sisters Version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adviaRAxJ5s

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
I just want the victory music to be the "splatatatatata-splatoon...." from squid kid.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I've got a music selection in the moveset I just made, actually. There are two versions of the stage -- it's Inkopolis Plaza, by the by -- the regular version, and the Splatfest version, which only appears during an actual Splatfest. They each have their own music selections as well; all the versus themes, a single player medley, and the one minute remaining theme -- like Suzaku's music change -- and the final boss's final phase, Splatfest hub, Splatfest battle, and Splatfest one minute remaining themes during a Splatfest. I might be forgetting a couple.

Top Bottom