• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
This thread is'nt giving me alerts anymore for some reason, anyway a new trailer dropped showing some new weapons among other things.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
There was also a tweet with an Octoling possibly hinting at their playability in the future. Also its been thrown around that the Splatoon sales are still trucking. I'm so glad to see the hype continue. This may bode well for the Inklings entering Smash Bros

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
There was also a tweet with an Octoling possibly hinting at their playability in the future. Also its been thrown around that the Splatoon sales are still trucking. I'm so glad to see the hype continue. This may bode well for the Inklings entering Smash Bros
I was thinking the same thing

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
What if Inklings made it in, the boy and the girl had 2/3 costumes each, and then the Octoling was an alt (I'm not sure if there are male octolings)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
has anyone considered the idea of having the inklings being able to switch weapons during battle but not for the purpose of different movesets but to adjust attack speed strength and range

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
has anyone considered the idea of having the inklings being able to switch weapons during battle but not for the purpose of different movesets but to adjust attack speed strength and range
Perhaps there could be eight Inklings, and then eight Octolings ala Little Mac's eight wireframes?

As far as switching weapons @ fogbadge fogbadge , I imagined a moveset where the Inkling has a different weapon for each move.
Switching weapons to adjust stats sounds too similar to Shulk and contradicts one of Sakurai's character criteria about bringing something unique to the game. I'd prefer something more along the lines of what Munomario suggested. It also sounds more realistic.

I just read your moveset. Looks great, but why do you have the Inklings shooting ink out of their hands? What if they used the sprinkler for their up tilt instead of shooting fountains? Not sure what to give them for a down tilt.. maybe a seeker or a mine? Either way I'm not really a fan of them naturally shooting ink when they never seem to in Splatoon. Regardless, your moveset is my favorite one I've seen thus far and has some similarities to how I'd like them to play.

Last edited:

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
I've actually been in support of the Inklings for a while now, don't know why I've never stopped by here. So if I could, I'd like to be added to the supporters list.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Switching weapons to adjust stats sounds too similar to Shulk and contradicts one of Sakurai's character criteria about bringing something unique to the game. I'd prefer something more along the lines of what Munomario suggested. It also sounds more realistic.
well changing the range of their attacks would be diifferent

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I just read your moveset. Looks great, but why do you have the Inklings shooting ink out of their hands? What if they used the sprinkler for their up tilt instead of shooting fountains? Not sure what to give them for a down tilt.. maybe a seeker or a mine? Either way I'm not really a fan of them naturally shooting ink when they never seem to in Splatoon. Regardless, your moveset is my favorite one I've seen thus far and has some similarities to how I'd like them to play.
Thanks! :) The Sprinkler (:L) is more of a "trap" that the Inkling lays down in the game than something they'd hold above their head, so I decided against it. Plus, it'd probably be a bit slow if they had to pull it out before using it, and even then, it just doesn't make sense to hold what is normally used as a trap above your head as a standard attack. Using a seeker or a mine for a down tilt would be rather weird; tilts should be basic attacks, not traps or something like that. Standard attacks should be, well, standard attacks, not gimmicky traps. The Inklings shooting ink out of their hands is an extension of their natural ability to produce and swim through ink of their color, and it also resembles how squids use ink in real life (that is, they shoot it out of their body).

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! :) The Sprinkler (:L) is more of a "trap" that the Inkling lays down in the game than something they'd hold above their head, so I decided against it. Plus, it'd probably be a bit slow if they had to pull it out before using it, and even then, it just doesn't make sense to hold what is normally used as a trap above your head as a standard attack. Using a seeker or a mine for a down tilt would be rather weird; tilts should be basic attacks, not traps or something like that. Standard attacks should be, well, standard attacks, not gimmicky traps. The Inklings shooting ink out of their hands is an extension of their natural ability to produce and swim through ink of their color, and it also resembles how squids use ink in real life (that is, they shoot it out of their body).
It's an interesting idea, and liberties have been taken to make the moverset for the characters we have now. I do agree with foolssigma that it does seem a little odd to send ink out of their hands when we don't really know if they can do that based of what we have from their game. My idea would be a tiny "squid jump" with a twist kind of similar to Olimar's up-tilt. And hits with one of their weapons could still be a thing.

The down tilt could use the new paint bucket!

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's an interesting idea, and liberties have been taken to make the moverset for the characters we have now. I do agree with foolssigma that it does seem a little odd to send ink out of their hands when we don't really know if they can do that based of what we have from their game. My idea would be a tiny "squid jump" with a twist kind of similar to Olimar's up-tilt. And hits one of their weapons could still be a thing.

The down tilt could use the new paint bucket!
It fits with the fact that they're both squids (and squids do this sort of thing IRL) and clearly have the ability to generate ink (where else would the regenerating ink tank come from?), so I think it's all right. The squid jump could work, but doesn't really sit that well with me for whatever reason. The paint bucket would be functional, but I'd like to keep the weapons and such to the specials/smashes/throws and not the standards and aerials, so that it doesn't feel tacky, or like G&W/Villager.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Will edit later- any suggestions? I am going out for a bit before trying and finish this.

Gimmick: Ink sprayed stays on the stage for several seconds. Neutral B and Down B work together to use and refill ink, but you can choose to wait a bit for ink grenades to be usable again. No other move uses the ink meter. Ink has a very low chance of causing tripping.

A: Ink brush slap. Hit A multiple times to continue slapping with the ink brush.

Ftilt: Splattershot. Can be held for continuous shots.
Utilt:
Dtilt: Suction Bomb.

Dash Attack: Slap the roller down and roll forward.

Usmash: Blaster shot. Charging will make a larger end explosion.
Fsmash: Charger shot. Charging will make it shoot out further.
Dsmash: Slap the Roller down. Charging it will make the roller have a longer splash range.

Nair:
Uair:
Fair:
Bair:
Dair:

Grab:

Pummel: Throw a quick succession of splat bombs straight down on the victim. (Every play against an E-liter? this is how they deal with close targets.)

Fthrow:
Bthrow:
Uthrow:
Dthrow:

B: Throws an ink grenade in an arc when tapped, but if you hold it you will roll the ink grenade along the ground which will cause it to detonate faster. You must wait a small amount after using the move before you can use it again so the ink can 'recharge.' A light on top of the canister on their back will flash when they can throw ink grenades again, just like in Splatoon.

Side B:

Up B: First time it is used (on the ground) it will place down a squid beakon (It has about double the HP of Villager's tree) and second time it is used the inkling will super jump to squid beakon. If used in the air prior to placing a squid beakon you will jump straight up and wont have any vertical motion until free fall (Like super jumping to the spawn point while you are standing in the spawn point in Splatoon.) Offers a lot of super armor but has some lag upon landing similar to how in Splatoon you are invincible during the super jump but it is easy to tell where you will land and easy to kill someone upon them landing.

Down B: Turn into squid form and hide in any ink on stage and move. This move will also refill ink faster.

Final smash: Inkstrike or Inkzooka?

Taunt 1: The 'Booyah' rally cry and fist bump.
Taunt 2: The 'C'mon' cry and animation.
Taunt 3: Win animation for the shooter class. Toss your gun up and grab it in air.
I might try and finish this after the August update because the new weapons might help flesh out the moveset.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
It fits with the fact that they're both squids (and squids do this sort of thing IRL) and clearly have the ability to generate ink (where else would the regenerating ink tank come from?), so I think it's all right. The squid jump could work, but doesn't really sit that well with me for whatever reason. The paint bucket would be functional, but I'd like to keep the weapons and such to the specials/smashes/throws and not the standards and aerials, so that it doesn't feel tacky, or like G&W/Villager.
My only question is what is the reasoning for the weapons in the first place if they can do similar things with their own body? Maybe the weapons channel that power I guess?

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
My only question is what is the reasoning for the weapons in the first place if they can do similar things with their own body? Maybe the weapons channel that power I guess?
Because rolling people over with a paint roller and shooting them from a range > squirting with close range ink that won't do much damage. :p

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Fair points about the sprinkler being more of a trap or thrown item. Personally, I'm just not a fan of the whole ink spray hands but I respect your opinion.

I realize using something like a mine or a seeker as a down tilt is unconventional, but smash 4 introduced projectiles as smash attacks via MM and Gunner. Also projectiles with a moves were new right? Never too late to add new types of moves to tilts in order to create a more unique newcomer like the Inklings.

Go for it! @ DonkaFjord DonkaFjord

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
The Ink Bucket seems like a good forward air, I always saw the roller as a down smash move

Also:

Don't know if this has been posted.

On another note, I'm taking a huge liking to Callie and Marie for some reason. They're adorable

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I realize using something like a mine or a seeker as a down tilt is unconventional, but smash 4 introduced projectiles as smash attacks via MM and Gunner. Also projectiles with a moves were new right? Never too late to add new types of moves to tilts in order to create a more unique newcomer like the Inklings.
A projectile is one thing; it's essentially a punch or kick, but with added range. It's still an attack. Mines aren't attacks; they're traps. Same with seekers, except they're "moving traps." It would be unique, yes, but being unique for the sake of being unique isn't often a good thing.
The Ink Bucket seems like a good forward air
That could work.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
A projectile is one thing; it's essentially a punch or kick, but with added range. It's still an attack. Mines aren't attacks; they're traps. Same with seekers, except they're "moving traps." It would be unique, yes, but being unique for the sake of being unique isn't often a good thing.
Snake's down-smash...

By-the-by what's the consensus on what their throws should be?

AfroGamerNinja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FluffyWarlock
Lemme guess...

- Neutral A is the paintbrush weapon;
- His/her bubble-shield behaves like Yoshi's in that it's the Bubbler;
- Sprint attack involves a Roller weapon;
- The final smash is the Kraken.

Am I right?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Lemme guess...

- Neutral A is the paintbrush weapon;
- His/her bubble-shield behaves like Yoshi's in that it's the Bubbler;
- Sprint attack involves a Roller weapon;
- The final smash is the Kraken.

Am I right?
I'd only make the bubbler their shield. Otherwise I have other ideas for the rest. Neutral a might just be the splattershot. Sprint attack would be a squid dash jump. Final smash I'm unsure but am leaning toward using the other supers like ink missile.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Well since Ryu has 2 Final Smashes, why can't the Inklings have 2. Or more...now I'm getting greedy.

With Smash Ball...

Neutral B: Inkzooka
Up B: Inkstrike
Side B: Killer Wail
Down B: Kraken

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well since Ryu has 2 Final Smashes, why can't the Inklings have 2. Or more...now I'm getting greedy.

With Smash Ball...

Neutral B: Bomb Rush
Up B: Inkstrike
Side B: Killer Wail
Down B: Kraken
Or, why not just have it be a sort of transformation Final Smash, where the specials are changed and you can use them freely (like in my moveset)?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Or, why not just have it be a sort of transformation Final Smash, where the specials are changed and you can use them freely (like in my moveset)?
There could be that, but I've always been kind of underwhelmed by transformation Final Smashes.

But I could see it working.

Their hair begins to glow, bubble, and blow back and then you can use the different special weapons from the game.

It would make an epic trophy.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Interesting. So apparently these buckets and splatling guns are weapon types in addition to the shooters, chargers, and rollers, as opposed to just weapons within those existing categories, meaning we should see more of these types of weapons down the line. Speaking of, it's nice to know that they'll continue to support Splatoon beyond just the summer season.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Interesting. So apparently these buckets and splatling guns are weapon types in addition to the shooters, chargers, and rollers, as opposed to just weapons within those existing categories, meaning we should see more of these types of weapons down the line. Speaking of, it's nice to know that they'll continue to support Splatoon beyond just the summer season.
It's probably more like the Blasters and Brushes are new "types", but are still essentially part of the trio. But we will definitely see more of them; they've already shown 2 different buckets in the ad and screens, and I mean, they have 30 levels to fill with weapons...

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I think if I made a moveset for them, it would only include the standard weapons and not the alternatives (such as the paint brush), just stick with the blaster, chargers, rollers, and the new buckets and gatling guns. With the super weapons and bombs as well

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm really looking forward to this new Splatoon update, especially the Splatling Gun! (Still holding hope for playable Octolings)

Top Bottom