• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Inkling for Smash! Let's Make Like Squid and Migrate!

MachRider94

Smash Rookie
NNID
MachRider94
3DS FC
5198-2646-6379
Well first off that is impossible. There hasn't been a single stage that had THAT insane. I think the most a stage has ever went through totally different environment was Dreamland, and that stage had the benefit of using old style graphics in that game.

Second off, even if they did, it seems like a cop out. I rather a heavy focus and a lot of love put into one stage, then a messily put together multiple stages in one, (which would have to happen).

Also, no one likes bosses in smash bros.
Ok, you got a bright idea for a Splatoon stage?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
So I've got done watching Mariotehplumber's video on Inkling being a "hentai character" and I've got to say that he really needs to stay off of the Internet. So a female squid kid shooting ink at other squid kids are too sexual as a game for a family friendly audience? Pathetic. :rolleyes:

In the words of Martin T. Sherman as Pac-Man: "He's an idiot."

Also, Someone give me his FC, I'm gonna wreck him with Pac-Man and Sonic... And once Inkling comes out I'll wreck him with her. =P

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
So I've got done watching Mariotehplumber's video on Inkling being a "hentai character" and I've got to say that he really needs to stay off of the Internet. So a female squid kid shooting ink at other squid kids are too sexual as a game for a family friendly audience? Pathetic. :rolleyes:
Watching that is a waste of time. Guy sounds like his opinion is not worth even listening to.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Did I forget to mention that I've recently bought my Splatoon costumes for Smash?
I got those a while back. The shirt is good, but man does it bother me how the female's hair doesn't have any physics.
He really reminds me of the gligar13 guy, anyone remember him?
Ok, you got a bright idea for a Splatoon stage?
Not hard at all. The popular opinion is to have Inkopolis in of itself be a stage. I personally want Octo Valley as a stage.

Inkopolis could be a couple things. A traveling stage where it goes through different parts like prism tower or be more like Smashville.

I just think Octovally lends itself better to a stage that floats in the air. It could also make use of the fans and Ziplines.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
He really reminds me of the gligar13 guy, anyone remember him?
Oh, I know who that is. ((At least MTP's overreactions are actually funny compared to gligar's douchery.)) He's really a typical CoD fanboy though... I'm guessing he also hates Doom.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
I've never been in this thread, but does anyone else thing the Inkling will be save for the next Smash Bros? Because each Smash usually has characters from the previous systems games. However, the only game for Wii U worth adding right now would be Splatoon. And if they add him in this Smash, then there won't be any characters for the next Smash from the Wii U.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I've never been in this thread, but does anyone else thing the Inkling will be save for the next Smash Bros? Because each Smash usually has characters from the previous systems games. However, the only game for Wii U worth adding right now would be Splatoon. And if they add him in this Smash, then there won't be any characters for the next Smash from the Wii U.
No.
There's no reason to hold them back if they're requested.
Sakurai's words, it's all fanservice from here.
The best selling WiiU game to not have :4mario: in it is damn well fit for getting some service.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
This is awesome as I said in other places. Continuously hearing about it just makes me want SFM. Can't though because Mac.

Also, it's like on the front page of the Steam workshop thing, so always nice to see how popular Splatoon is. Especially since it keeps me hopeful for them in smash.

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
NINTENDO IS STREAMING TOWER CONTROL (which is coming tomorrow) GOGOGO
http://www.twitch.tv/nintendo
This is awesome as I said in other places. Continuously hearing about it just makes me want SFM. Can't though because Mac.

Also, it's like on the front page of the Steam workshop thing, so always nice to see how popular Splatoon is. Especially since it keeps me hopeful for them in smash.
Yeah I have a Mac too(sux bro we get no games early), but I have enough disk space for Gmod if it ever gets on their workshop!

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I didn't expect Tower Control to come so early - I was expecting August, but tomorrow's even better! :bee:

I've been busy working on my own Inkling moveset - it's a work in progress, and I'm trying to make it close to how the Inklings play in Splatoon, but so far:
Neutral B: Splatter Shot
Up B: Super Jump
Down B: Squid
Any suggestions for a Side special?

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I didn't expect Tower Control to come so early - I was expecting August, but tomorrow's even better! :bee:

I've been busy working on my own Inkling moveset - it's a work in progress, and I'm trying to make it close to how the Inklings play in Splatoon, but so far:
Inkzooka works.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Inkzooka works.
Inkzooka works better as a final smash since it is their Special move requiring a lot of points put into and can kill others in one hit. Moves that are generally that powerful are associated with final smashes.

I don't agree with Splattershot being a special, but you need splat bombs in there somewhere, so I would say splat bomb.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Inkzooka works better as a final smash since it is their Special move requiring a lot of points put into and can kill others in one hit. Moves that are generally that powerful are associated with final smashes.
Dude, not everything has to be accurate to the source game. I find that the Inkzooka would be a boring Final Smash (I like Kraken way more and Killer Wail).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Dude, not everything has to be accurate to the source game. I find that the Inkzooka would be a boring Final Smash (I like Kraken way more and Killer Wail).
I personally love the inkzooka and it's my favorite special in the game.

I'm all for drifting from the source material when it can add to the character. Adding nosfertu to Robin was a good way to emphasize the fact he uses magic when he could originally only use the standard 3 types.

But here's the problem with turning the Inkzooka into a special. The thing about the inkzooka, is that in Splatoon, it is a super powerful move that can easily turn the tide of a battle. It is able to insta-kill opponents and is very high vertically.

So let's imagine it in smash. It will probably keep it's verticalness but then what? In splatoon, it's a 3d world meaning you have to aim, but then here we have a 2d arena. And it's not like the opponent can jump over it, meaning the only options are to shield, spot dodge, and air dodge. That isn't fair. It would need a damage and Knockback reduction to be fair. Which, would then destroy the point of the Inkzooka which is to be a very powerful move that turns the tide of battle.

Though, another way to balance it would be to have it charge but then that leads to another problem.

Why jump to the biggest thing when there are plenty of smaller things that can help fill spots and roles? Like, if we stick to the idea that to balance the inkzooka you have it charge, then why not just use a Charger? I mean, it being powerful after charging it follows the source game AND, because of having to be more exact with it, can also easily be balanced. And yeah, asking @ Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J where would you put a charger in the moveset since you probably need at least one somewhere.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

I'm all for drifting from the source material when it can add to the character. Adding nosfertu to Robin was a good way to emphasize the fact he uses magic when he could originally only use the standard 3 types.

But here's the problem with turning the Inkzooka into a special. The thing about the inkzooka, is that in Splatoon, it is a super powerful move that can easily turn the tide of a battle. It is able to insta-kill opponents and is very high vertically.

So let's imagine it in smash. It will probably keep it's verticalness but then what? In splatoon, it's a 3d world meaning you have to aim, but then here we have a 2d arena. And it's not like the opponent can jump over it, meaning the only options are to shield, spot dodge, and air dodge. That isn't fair. It would need a damage and Knockback reduction to be fair. Which, would then destroy the point of the Inkzooka which is to be a very powerful move that turns the tide of battle.

Though, another way to balance it would be to have it charge but then that leads to another problem.

Why jump to the biggest thing when there are plenty of smaller things that can help fill spots and roles? Like, if we stick to the idea that to balance the inkzooka you have it charge, then why not just use a Charger? I mean, it being powerful after charging it follows the source game AND, because of having to be more exact with it, can also easily be balanced. And yeah, asking @ Strider_Bond00J Strider_Bond00J where would you put a charger in the moveset since you probably need at least one somewhere.
lol I forgot about the Charger. That would work as a side special.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
lol I forgot about the Charger. That would work as a side special.
I personally have it in my special list. My special list goes:
Neutral Special - Splat Bombs
Side Special - Splat Charger
Up Special - Super Jump
Down Special - Squid

Might post my entire moveset sometime in the future.

Dude.
Go check my moveset.
You'll like.
Where is it?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I personally have it in my special list. My special list goes:
Neutral Special - Splat Bombs
Side Special - Splat Charger
Up Special - Super Jump
Down Special - Squid

Might post my entire moveset sometime in the future.

Where is it?
I posted it in this thread earlier... must've never been put in the OP. Gimme a second while I find it.

Edit:
In-depth Inkling Moveset

Note: Color Palettes/Alternate Costume

Boy Girl Boy Girl Callie Marie Octoling .... and one more Boy option which is the 8th ink color I can't recall.Squid Sisters Squid forms keep their hats on, Octoling has it's... octo form.

Statistics
Height: Equal to:4ness:/:4lucas:
Weight: 80 (:4metaknight:)
Ground Speed: 1.15 (Equal to :4robinm::4robinf:)
Air Speed: 1.0 (:rosalina::4robinm::4robinf::4littlemac:)

Basic Moves
Jab Combo: Punch followed by a swing of the Splattershot.
Dash Attack: Turns into squid in Mid-air, spinning to deal damage and then returning to normal. Bad Endlag, little ground covered.

Get-Up Attack: Breakdance spin before standing (Stay Fresh~)
Ledge Attack: Inkling gives a quick shot to the ground before climbing up.
U-Tilt: Tentacles jut upwards like spikes (:4charizard:'s wings)
F-Tilt: Sweep of the Paintbrush (:4shulk:'s Monado)
D-Tilt: Spins along the ground as a squid forward and back (:4palutena:'s staff)

U-Smash: Overhead swing of a roller (:4myfriends:'s)
F-Smash: Charges up a burst of Splattershot rapid fire (:4miigun:)
D-Smash: Slams down a roller ahead and then behind (:4ganondorf:'s kick)

U-Air: Swings a Charger overhead
N-Air: Spins around in squid form, tentacles outstretched (:4kirby:)
F-Air: A quick Splattershot bullet (:4villager:)
B-Air: Fires a Blaster behind them, having a close ranged blast which launches Inkling forward (:4rob:)
D-Air: Slams the Paint Brush down, spikes (most similar to :4olimar::4alph:'s)

Grab & Pummel: "Headbutts" and extends out tentacles to grab (:4yoshi:)
U-Throw: Tosses enemy up before impaling them with thrusted tentacles.
F-Throw: Flings opponents away.
B-Throw: Spin & Fling
D-Throw: Spikes the opponents to the ground

Specials
Up B: Super Jump - Inklings charge up in Squid form before launching into the air (:4fox::4falco: charge but with increased distance and :4diddy:'s maneuvering).
Up Custom 1: Quick Super Jump: Half the charge time, 75% of the distance launch.
Up Custom 2: Stealth Jump: 1.5x the charge time, but Inkling becomes invisible for the duration of the move.

Neutral B: Splattershot - A weak rapid-fire projectile with range about 75% of battlefield.
Neutral Custom 2: Aerospray - More damage, somewhat reduced damage and range (60%).
Neutral Custom 3: Blaster - Shots explode on contact for heavier damage, short range (40%)
(Effectively trying to get a Fox-Falco-Wolf situation)

Side B: Splat Charger - Taking a full second to charge, fires out a long ranged (full length of battlefield) shot with a low arc that drips ink below it which acts as terrain applied to the platform underneath the shot as it flies. Ink disappears when any player walks over it or after 5 seconds. Inklings get an agility boost if in squid form while running over it. Enemies receive a ~20% speed and first jump height reduction while standing/running over/through it.
Side Custom 1: Squiffer - Charge is faster (0.5 sec) and has more range, but ink lasts for half as long.
Side Custom 2: Splatter Scope - Charge is slower (1.5 sec) but damage of the shot is increased. Ink unaffected

Down B: Splat Bomb - Inkling tosses forward a small explosive with a 3 second fuse. Can be picked up but will detonate when held. Initial toss is half the length of battlefield.
Down Custom 1: Burst Bomb - Lesser damage but explodes on contact.
Down Custom 2: Seeker - The explosive lands at half the distance and chases along the ground like a Mechakoopa. Small damage, 5 second fuse.

Final Smash: RELEASE THE KRAKEN: Inkling achieves an ultimate stage of temporary evolution. They have enhanced speed and jumping ability at the cost of only having one jump at a time. A/B causes the Kraken to do a lunge forward, spinning to deal large damage while X/Y (or tap jump) causes the enhanced jump while drilling into the air, likewise dealing heavy amounts of damage. The Kraken releases a trail of standard ink behind it.

Animations
Entrance: As it is in the games

Walk: Simple Jog
Run: Dashing forward, gun held down
Crouch & Crawl: Squid Form, defaultly is slower than Inkling running speed and with a weaker jump but is faster in Ink and jumps higher from it..

Taunt 1: "Stay Fresh~" pose to the screen
Taunt 2: Tosses Splattershot into the air and catches it (:4zss:)
Taunt 3: Checks Splattershot, gets ink plastered over their face, and shakes it off (as Cap'n' Cuttlefish does if you spray him)

Victory 1: Pistol-type victory animation.
Victory 2: Charger-type victory animation.
Victory 3: Roller-type victory animation.

Victory Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_gGClKqPMA Fits best.

Defeat: Squid form Inkling claps its tentacles together

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I've got two ideas for the Charger - one being a Side Smash or a Side Special. Though thinking about it, the Side Special would be the better place to put it - I've included the Roller as a Down Smash - based on when the Inkling slams the roller into the ground before they start painting.

Burruni

Smash Hero
They can control their tentacles????????
Yes.
Because they're tentacles.
There's no reason why they COULDN'T control them.
We see them swishing the tentacles that turn into the main "strands" of hair in squid form when swimming on dry land and to launch into super jump.
And if the Squid Research Lab is anything to go by, their arms and legs are just as much tentacles as the larger parts of their hair.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yes.
Because they're tentacles.
There's no reason why they COULDN'T control them.
We see them swishing the tentacles that turn into the main "strands" of hair in squid form when swimming on dry land and to launch into super jump.
And if the Squid Research Lab is anything to go by, their arms and legs are just as much tentacles as the larger parts of their hair.
Ah, the Squid Research Lab. That needs to be a stage in Splatoon and Smash.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I posted it in this thread earlier... must've never been put in the OP. Gimme a second while I find it.

Edit:
To be blunt, I don't really like this moveset. The two main reasons being it doesn't really the source when there is still a lot of potential and it doesn't really allow the idea for the idea that they come from a shooter to shine.

I really don't like that up-tilt. There hasn't been an example of them using their hair to attack. It doesn't even make sense for the boys.

Next, you also keep using the weapons like they are swords. I don't think the inklings would swing a Splattershot or charger around like that. They aren't swordmen either.

The custom portion is useless now. (Though, we didn't know it at the time...granted, I felt we all should've expected no customs after mewtwo and I still don't know why people tried making customs after that).

I think the hardest part about designing a moveset for them is figuring out a healthy balance between projectiles and Physical moves. I'm always readjusting my moveset for them. Maybe I'll post one soon though.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
To be blunt, I don't really like this moveset. The two main reasons being it doesn't really the source when there is still a lot of potential and it doesn't really allow the idea for the idea that they come from a shooter to shine.

I really don't like that up-tilt. There hasn't been an example of them using their hair to attack. It doesn't even make sense for the boys.

Next, you also keep using the weapons like they are swords. I don't think the inklings would swing a Splattershot or charger around like that. They aren't swordmen either.

The custom portion is useless now. (Though, we didn't know it at the time...granted, I felt we all should've expected no customs after mewtwo and I still don't know why people tried making customs after that).

I think the hardest part about designing a moveset for them is figuring out a healthy balance between projectiles and Physical moves. I'm always readjusting my moveset for them. Maybe I'll post one soon though.
I think its ok for them to swing their gun...

MintChipper

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TonyEH
3DS FC
2793-1055-4457
Splatoon is a month old and I still can't stop playing it, and tomorrow there's a new mode, and I have a clan, WHY IS THIS GAME SO FUN.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Out of curiosity - given that the Inklings are made of ink and dissolve in water and some stages like Wuhu Island and Delfino Plaza have the risk of drowning, would the Inklings have a similar drowning animation like their game or would they just sink like the other characters?

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity - given that the Inklings are made of ink and dissolve in water and some stages like Wuhu Island and Delfino Plaza have the risk of drowning, would the Inklings have a similar drowning animation like their game or would they just sink like the other characters?
Hm, it would be interesting to see them dissolve instead of just drown, but I'm not sure if we would see it.

It brings up a good question though. Would the Inklings have any special animation? With how Ryu was implemented, the Sm4sh team does a lot to keep the characters true to their game. Would we see other special animations for the Inklings?

For example, when they come back after they die, would they rise out of the respawn platform like they do in their own game?

When they have the final Smash would their hair be blowing back and bubbling with power like when they have a special charged? I would really like to see special animations.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Imagine her using her "hair tentacles" for punching/other Melee attacks now, actually. =P

I'm still hoping she gets in... I really don't want another generic RPG character or Swordsman. ((IE: Issac, Any Final Fantasy character and so on. There's a reason Slime is "unique".)) Again, What makes Smash Bros. stand out to me other than it's easy to pickup playstyle is the "oddball characters".

Last edited:

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
Your last reason is exactly why I fear Smash 5 won't happen lol. I've seen plenty of good series just disappear. XD

Anyways, I'm going to start thinking that Inklings deserve to be in Smash now, but they will be a shoe in for the next if they don't make it this time.

Oh also, does Splatoon's trophy have it's own category like Nintendogs and Balloon Fighter?
Splatoon has it's own trophy category?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
On the topic of where the Inkling girl trophy is - I saw it in the Other category on the Wii U version, if I recall correctly. That said - I'm pretty sure that the squid would end up being the Series icon for Splatoon should the Inkling become playable.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Just got Splatoon on the 28th and all I got to say is:

The Game is difficult to put down. It is impossible to not crack a smile while playing the game.

Everything about the game (except for the puns) I love!

If I am not already a supporter, then allow me to join your side in this Turf War.

Last edited:
Top Bottom