• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Euh... it's kinda weird to explain because I know what you're asking but I don't "categorize" characters. I usually find his playstyle in one sentence and base his moves on it. I did this already in "series representation" in the OP and I used the same playastyle in my moveset but I'll explain it here:

I see him being light since he's a paper of course (he's actually a little smaller than Mario). So, I expect him to have more mobility than his counterparts but how I saw him is a character than can act in different situation and being adaptive. Now, I don't check competitive but I mean that overall, his movesets would revolve on versatility. I see him like this because it's exactly like in his game where you would do different actions, attacks and decisions based on each situation.

For example, in TTYD, if I face 4 ground enemies with decent HP, I wouldn't use a jump attack since I would have to do this for 4 turns (excluding partners turns) and leaving an opening. I would use quake hammer which costs attack points but attacks everyone and does decent damages.

All abilities works like this even partners. Yoshi is useless if your enemy has defence, but Bobbery attacks can damage that with explosions. In fact, the whole battles are based around strategy since you would need to dynamically change it every time. It needs a lot of management and carefulness with the benefit of being able to counter a lot of situation.

That's what i want to reflect in smash. @ Staarih Staarih , that's why I see him with partners because I feel they offer more versatility than any other unique abilities. But I said that it needs management which is where it gets interesting because that's how I see his balance.

For example, I used power smash as its side smash which is basically a hammer smack but more powerful. There's quite good lag in my set not only to tell you to use it carefully but also to represent how you can't use it indefinitely since you would need attacks points for this.

I implemented a switch mechanics for partners but it's hight risk, hight rewards because you need to select while being frozen so you would have to go away and have enough time. If you're attacked, you get lag but if you success, you get the chance to have a different side b which could counter what you couldn't before.

Now, it may not be the way to implement such a mechanic, but you get the idea that Sakurai is way more creative than me :) .

To answer to your question, "Paper Mario would be based on versatility and mobility to counter multiple situations on the cost of maintenance needs". I don't think I found this in smash yet but I may be wrong btw.

What do you think?
Sounds about right. I guess Paper Mario would have a little bit of all classes except for Resistor, correct?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Sounds about right. I guess Paper Mario would have a little bit of all classes except for Resistor, correct?
hugh... that's like asking me to rate his chance with percentages (it's not accurate).

I don't think it's classes thing but more of own characters. clone or semi clone are more a variation of the counterparts (otherwise, it's more an alt than a clone). Just look at kirby air ride every description is different and I'm sure that Sakurai uses a similar philosophy for smash. However, I do agree that some are used as a base like Mario being mostly balanced (this is also a reason that Paper Mario wouldn't be a clone). The thing is, I see more alternative on those based on this base (huh.. bad sentence). Toon link is similar than link but I can see how link was altered.

So, to answer, "I have no idea since I don't use the same logic".

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
hugh... that's like asking me to rate his chance with percentages (it's not accurate).

I don't think it's classes thing but more of own characters. clone or semi clone are more a variation of the counterparts (otherwise, it's more an alt than a clone). Just look at kirby air ride every description is different and I'm sure that Sakurai uses a similar philosophy for smash. However, I do agree that some are used as a base like Mario being mostly balanced (this is also a reason that Paper Mario wouldn't be a clone). The thing is, I see more alternative on those based on this base (huh.. bad sentence). Toon link is similar than link but I can see how link was altered.

So, to answer, "I have no idea since I don't use the same logic".
Oh. Well thank you for your time anyway. I got a good understanding of Paper Mario's moveset from what you said and for that, thank you. :D

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I think this was kind of what I envisioned. I can see why you'd say it could be confusing and for simplicity's sake the hammer might be better.

Snipe

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, depending on this list, how would Paper Mario play? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
I think Paper Mario would be a mixture between a zoner, ranger, and trickster. He would be a ranger because he could use Bobbery/Bombette, Goombella/Goombario, or Koops/Kooper since they would be his ranged specials and can be switched (if using the "Partner Paper Mario Set"). He would become a zoner as he can use those ranged specials in order to trap the opponent and punish him/her for avoiding a certain attack. For example, he/she could throw Bobbery (A walking, solid entity) and the only way the opponent can get away from it would be to shield, roll, or jump above Bobbery. With a good "read", Paper Mario could punish his opponent with an up-smash (orange hammer) or an aerial move when the opponent jumps over Bobbery when forced to the edge (remember, there is no 2 time ledge invincibility frame in SSB4 and Bobbery could be manually detonated) or Forward/Down smash when the opponent rolls into Bobbery. He could even pressure the opponent to jump over by switching to Goombella/Goombario to throw arched projectiles when the enemy is shielding (with good aim) so their shield either breaks or is forced to roll or jump over Bobbery/Bombette with the incoming explosion ready to break his/her shield. He would also have a long and fast grab since Thoreau is shown to have no lag when grabbing enemies from a good range in Super Paper Mario, so the opponent would want to space a good distance away from Paper Mario. Lastly, he is a trickster because it would be hard to predict what he would do with his colorful moveset since he could play aggressively by throwing Bobbery, and with the paper plane glide, he would advance towards his opponents, or play smart and set up traps with Koops/Kooper spinning in place for an opportunity to strike the opponent, creating mind games with the knowledge that the opponent knows where Koops/Kooper would be, and thus, punish the opponent for their cautious play. All in all, he would be like a Solid Snake/Game&Watch hybrid.

BASED OFF OF aldelaro5's MOVESET WITH A FEW CHANGES OF MINE OWN IDEAS (awesome moveset btw):
:GCA: Normal moves :GCA:

:GCN::GCA:: Paper Mario swings his hammer horizontally from behind (he folds a little).
:GCN::GCA::GCA:: Then, he swings his hammer horizontally on the other side.
:GCN::GCA::GCA::GCA:: Finally, he swings his hammer with more power on the ground (he uses the super hammer in the combo).
:GCR::GCA:: Using a tail sticker, he sweeps his tail in front of him doing a little damage.
:GCU::GCA:: Using a spike helmet sticker, he puts it on his head and do a little hop at the same time damaging enemies above.
:GCD::GCA:: Paper Mario summons Barry who appears instantly and makes a barrier surrounding Paper Mario which will spin and do damage.
Dash: Paper Mario spins on one foot while moving in front which will do only one hit, but it does quite some damage.
:GCCN: Smash moves :GCCN:
:GCR::GCL::GCA:: Paper Mario uses a gray hammer with power smash (big starting lag, but very strong).
:GCU::GCA:: Paper Mario uses an orange hammer which he will throw afterwards (little starting lag, but do quite a bit of damage and the hammer will only disappear after an enemy is hurt or if it touches the ground).
:GCD::GCA:: Paper Mario uses a purple hammer with quake hammer attacking all enemies on the ground within 1 battlefield platform of range (little lag, but do little damage to each enemy).
:GCX: Aerial moves :GCY:
:GCN::GCA:: Paper Mario puts his feet together trying to land on an enemy. You cannot double jump nor use any other aerial move in this state and you can only press left and right to control your landing. If he fails, he fell on the floor, laying down and being vulnerable before getting up. If he succeed, he jumps on him and gain another jump while the enemy is frozen in his damage animation for a tiny amount of time. This jumps acts like a second jump so you can't jump again in this one. You can use neutral A however you want, but it will be hard to do this multiple time and also tha neutral air only does a little damage so it's best to use on multiple enemies or using another aerial after.
:GCR::GCA:: Paper Mario does his belly stylish moves hitting some opponents in his animation and does a little damage.
:GCL::GCA:: Paper Mario does some back flip while moving behind like his stylish move and doing some damage. Because he moves behind, it can't be used well after a neutral air.
:GCU::GCA:: Paper Mario spins while hoping above him doing some little hits to the enemies. Again, this one doesn't go well after a neutral air.
:GCD::GCA:: Paper Mario ground pound and do quite a bit of damages, but it has some starting lag. It's best to use after a neutral air to do even more damage and since the enemy will be frozen, you have just enough time to do it.

:GCZ: Grab moves :GCZ:
:GCZ:
: Paper Mario summons Thoreau which will try to grab in front of Paper Mario and has practically no lag, but has a low range. He will then bring the foe to Paper Mario.
:GCZ::GCA:: When used, Paper Mario won't be able to throw, but he will jump on the enemies head repeatedly and you will need to press A every time he stomps on him while Thoreau is still holding his foe. The pummel and the grab finish if either the foes escape (which is more difficult after every stomps) or if you miss your timing, which is again more difficult every time. As you jump, the damage given increases.
:GCR::GCA:: Paper Mario uses an ultra hammer which he will charge for a short time to then smack the opponent. This opponent will then receive some knock back and if he comes into contact of another enemies, this one will receive little damage too.
:GCL::GCA:: Paper Mario picks the foe as if he was a sticker and tries to "peel" him. This will throw the foe with some knock back behind.
:GCU::GCA:: While Thoreau brings the foe a little higher, Paper Mario uses a thunder bolt that he will raise above him and after it, the enemy will be struck by a thunder which will do decent damage.
:GCD::GCA:: Paper Mario folds into himself as Thoreau prevents the foe from escaping the grab by pushing him on the ground. Then, Paper Mario jumps and land on the enemy with great force doing good damage.

:GCB: Special moves :GCB:
:GCN::GCB:: Paper Mario enters unto a thinking state where he looks thoughtful while being vulnerable. An horizontal scroll bar appears where his feet are with a little stick tilting from left to right under it. While still holding B, you will have to select the partner with your stick and releasing B once you're done (this includes menu sound effects from TTYD). If you are hit, you will have more lag than usual and instantly cancelling the switch. If you manage to get the switch, the icon will go near his HUD spot switching the one that was there before while you're exiting this state (very quick). By default, you always start with Gombella, the weakest partner and if you lose a stock, your partner will be switched to Goombella again. You will have to use this move while you're away from your opponents because it can become very risky otherwise, but the reward you get is a new special move. When the partner is attacking, Paper Mario can do whatever he wants, but some moves has some summons lag which only affects the partner. Every partner are all set to counter different situations. They are on the background of the stage, but doesn't move. You only see them after you use his attack. These are the partner with their respective actions:
Goombella
She will jump in front of Paper Mario and tries to land on an enemy. She will only be able to bonk one time and it does little damage, but she's also your default partner which means that you can use her right away without switching. This attack is really quick however. Works on ground and in the air.
Koops
This one has a little starting lag since Paper Mario has to hop a little when his shell appears and after he stomps on it, Koops will go forward hitting all the enemy with decent damages, but little knock back. It won't work in the air, but you can use it and wait for Paper Mario to fall down (because the shell will fall if you do this above the ground).
Admiral Bobbery
He will walk a little before stopping and charges before exploding with great force that can damage greatly enemies near him. However, it takes a lot of summons lag due to him charging, but if no enemies move, the reward is great damage to enemies with decent knock back. In the air, Paper Mario will throw it until he reaches the ground and then proceed to charge.
Lady Bow
With a fan, she will go forward and try to smack a foe multiple time with her fan. It has decent lag for her to charge, but you get a multi hit that do decent damages in total. It can be used in the air, but because of the lag, it's better to use it near platform and the stage.
Watt
He will go forward and tries to electrify and opponent which will paralyse him. Little damage, but only little lag. You can also use it in the air and since there's not much lag, it works pretty well for preventing the foe to recover.

:GCR::GCB:: Paper Mario's partner uses his moves.
:GCU::GCB:: Paper Mario transforms into an airplane which allow him to glide for a short time. The tip of the airplane does little damage and it has a little start lag so it's best as recovery, but not as an attack.
:GCD::GCB:: Paper Mario holds his fist with an angry face for a tiny amount of time. If any foes attack him while in this state, he will spin with his fist up and the enemy receives strong damage. This is basically a counter, but it has good ending lag so this is risky to use, but the damage it gives worth the try.
Final Smash
Paper Mario summons the ruby stars and goes above on it out of sight. The camera will be centred and fixed and the text at the bottom in TTYD font will say: "Draw around the enemy as many times as you can!" and a little ruby star appears in the centre of the screen. This acts like a cursor and you need to do circles around the enemies, but the trick is if they touch your line, it will break, but the cursor has a fast speed. You can do this for multiple enemies at once and doing will make the text "nice" or such appears. The damage is strong and has a lot of knock back that has a high chance of KO on decent percentage. After 30 seconds, the final smash ends.
Situations moves
Get up
: little jump which acts like an uppercut.
Edge: While getting on the edge, he smack his wooden hammer on the ground near.
:GCLT: Dodge moves :GCRT:
Shield:
Paper Mario duck and cover in a ball.
Rolling Dodge: He folds himself into a tube to roll.
Sidestep Dodge: He turns himself from his side and dodge which makes him almost invisible.
Air dodge: Paper Mario goes slightly into the background while moving slowly in the direction pressed (in a paper fashion).
Animations
Entrance
: He enters on the stage by flipping into the dimension.
Stance: Practically no movement and the eyes blink from times to time.
Idle: Yawn followed by snoring while looking asleep.
Walk: Only his feet move in walking speed.
Run: Same as walk, but his feet move 2x faster with a white smoke trail behind.
Crouch: Folds slightly into himself.
Jump: Exactly like Mario, but the second involves him folding a little while spinning.
Hurts: On one foot and his face behind looks like he's hurt.
Lying down: On his belly, face on the ground.
Swimming: He transforms into a boat and comes back to normal after jumping.
:GCDpad: Taunts :GCDpad:
Side Taunt
: Paper Mario makes a thumbs up and face the camera.
Up Taunt: He wags his finger from left to right.
Down Taunt: He wags his hand and a heart comes near him (appeal from TTYD).
Victory and defeat
Victory Theme
: Battle Victory from TTYD
Victory 1: While giving a thumbs up, and his partner being happy, the text "You got 50 star points!" appears and then, they walk in place.
Victory 2: He and his partner appeal to the crowd and we could hear cheers from the crowd.
Victory 3: Paper Mario raises the diamond star with all his partners surrounding him and cheering him.
Defeat: He and his partner run in place to run away, but they fell on the ground head first after trying.
Extra
Codec
: If you press on the D pad left and right several times while Goombella is your partner on the Paper Mario stage with one opponent, Goombella makes a bubble of text appears and she describes the opponent while still having some humour. She will also tell the percentage the foe has.
Footstool: if Paper Mario footstool someone, he will receive a tiny amount of damage (even less than his neutral aerial). It's just a little reference not designed to be one of his main attacks.
Down-A: Paper Mario pulls the floor from underneath the opponent like the many loose floors throughout the Paper Mario games, but instead of spin jumping it out, he pulls it out instead to cause damage.
Neutral-Air: Paper Mario will summon Watt to electrify anyone around him, giving a little bit of multi-damage and paralyzing his enemies for a good amount of time so he can perform a follow-up attack.
Forward-Air:
Paper Mario summons Lady Bow to smack his opponents multiple times with her fan
Back-Air: Paper Mario does some back flip while moving behind like his stylish move, doing some damage and knockback.
Up-Air: Paper Mario does a small spring jump that causes Mario to spontaneously move up a short distance, sending enemies upward
Down-Air: Paper Mario spin jumps and does quite a bit of damage, but it has some starting lag. It's best to use after a neutral air to do even more damage and since the enemy will be paralyzed, you have just enough time to do it (this move will spike enemies).
Down-Grab: Paper Mario summons Vivian to bring his foe into the ground, resulting in the opponent receiving fire damage after popping up from the ground.
Neutral-B: Paper Mario enters unto a thinking state where he looks thoughtful while being vulnerable. A horizontal scroll bar appears where his feet are with a little stick tilting from left to right under it. While still holding down-B, you will have to select the partner with your stick and releasing down-B once you're done (this includes menu sounds effects from TTYD). If you are hit, you will have more lag than usual and instantly cancelling the switch. If you manage to get the switch, the icon will go near his HUD spot switching the one that was there before while you're exiting this state (very quick). You will have to use this move while you're away from your opponents because it can become very risky otherwise but the reward you get is a new special move. When the partner is attacking, Paper Mario can do whatever he wants but some moves has some summons lag which only affects the partner. Every partner is all set to counter different situations. They are on the background of the stage but don't move. You only see them after you use his attack. These are the partner with their respective actions:
Goombella: She will jump in front of Paper Mario and tries to land on an enemy. She will only be able to bonk one time and it does little to good damage, depending on how long you charge (charging increases the range). She’s also your default partner which means that you can use her right away without switching. This attack is really quick however. This move works both on the ground and the air, and hits in a slope rather than a straight line.
Koops: This move has a little starting lag since Paper Mario has to hop a little when his shell appears, but after he stomps on it, Koops will go forward hitting all the enemies in front of Mario with decent damage, good knockback, and high-medium range. This is a two action move where the first initial hit will send Koops horizontally, hitting foes and spinning in place where he stops. The second initial hit requires Mario to press side-B again, returning Koops and hitting any enemies between Mario and Koops. This move can be used in the air too, so Koops will spin in the air, waiting for the second command (this can be used strategically to set traps).
Admiral Bobbery: Will walk slowly at medium distance before stopping and charging to explode with great force that greatly damages enemies near him, effectively breaking shields also. However, it is a laggy move as Bobbery must charge before exploding, but if the attack hits, the reward is great damage to enemies with high knockback. In the air, Paper Mario will throw him until he reaches the ground and then proceed to charge. Bobbery can be manually detonated by pressing side-B again (Bobbery is a solid entity, so players can't just walk past him).
Up-B: Paper Mario crumples downward like an accordion and uses his spring jump with his ultra boots, but does not “turn gray” until he activates his glide, making him unique in the recovery aspect of the game.
Down-B: Paper Mario holds his fist with an angry face for a tiny amount of time, preparing himself. If any foes attack him while in this state, he will spin with his fist up with a “great” blocking sound and text from ttyd. This makes the enemy receive strong damage. This is basically a counter, but it has good ending lag.
Final Smash:
Paper Mario summons the ruby stars and goes above on it out of sight. The camera will be centered and fixed and the text at the bottom in TTYD font will say: "Draw around the enemy as many time as you can!" and a little ruby star appears in the centre of the screen. This act like a cursor and you need to do circles around the enemies but the trick is if they touch your line, it will break but the cursor has a fast speed. You can do this for multiple enemies at once and doing will make the text "nice" or such appears. The damage is strong and has a lot of knock back that has a high chance of KO on decent percentage. After 30 seconds, the final smash ends. This move could change the Wii U gamepad to mirror the television so the player could draw the circles quickly on the gamepad (ttyd remake anyone?).
Shield: Instead of a regular shield, Mario uses Barry to shield himself for a second, which causes a little damage and stun from the spin. After Barry disappears in a second, a regular shield takes his place.
Crouch: Crouches in his defense stance like in Paper Mario ttyd.
Jump: Exactly like Mario, but the second involves him folding a little while spinning with one of his hands up in a fist.
Gliding: He transforms into a paper plane and glides horizontally, turning back to normal after jumping or attacking. His attack coming out of plane form could be Rawk Hawk’s jump kick.
Up Taunt: Mario puts both of his hands up and confetti starts falling down out of nowhere (like when Mario does a stylish move with his hammer in ttyd)
Footstool: If Paper Mario footstools someone, he will give a tiny amount of damage with a small text that says “1” (even less than his neutral aerial). It's just a little reference not designed to be one of his main attacks.
Costumes:
If changed to certain costumes, Goombella can switch with Goombario, Koops can switch with Kooper, and Bobbery can switch with Bombette. Mario’s costume consists of Paper Luigi, Paper Wario, Paper Waluigi, Paper Ice Mario, and Paper Fire Mario.
Stages:
Paper Mario’s stage is pretty much a stage from ttyd, and the audience cheers for the leading player. The audience can throw hazards (rocks, bones, etc.) and good items (food) at you. Events can also happen, such as a bucket or a giant bolder rolling down. This stage also switches backgrounds (for example, The Great Tree to Glitzville) when the curtains fall, which allows players to be able to only see their silhouette for a few seconds before going back up and switching the background (each background may have different audiences and events). This is where Goombella/Goombario is able to tattle on other players when Paper Mario taunts quickly enough, which makes Goombella/Goombario give the description and percentage of the tattled player in a humorous manner. Lastly, when any player taunts (appeals), the crowd grows in favor of that player and throws star energy at him/her to show which player is more likely to have good items thrown at them.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think this was kind of what I envisioned. I can see why you'd say it could be confusing and for simplicity's sake the hammer might be better.

It's actually way too similar even for the Paper version:

Also, I noticed that you're trying to do something that isn't doable: 3D effects. The best you can do is using transparency as outline to put something in evidence (look at the metroid icon). Most of the icons are emblems and feels like a plane surface. The hammer I made is like that. This is the original image I used (with rotation):

I can see 3D perspective because of the outlines. I used transparency on it so it looks like the same hammer but in emblem style.

Also, the peel effect really doesn't differentiate it that much. The only thing I can see to be better as any Paper elements proper the the characters and the series about paper. The airplane isn't global so that's why I'm seeking for more ideas.

Also, those are simple so it makes sense to be simple (megaman wasn't his helmet but a gear can't be more simple).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It's actually way too similar even for the Paper version:

Also, I noticed that you're trying to do something that isn't doable: 3D effects. The best you can do is using transparency as outline to put something in evidence (look at the metroid icon). Most of the icons are emblems and feels like a plane surface. The hammer I made is like that. This is the original image I used (with rotation):

I can see 3D perspective because of the outlines. I used transparency on it so it looks like the same hammer but in emblem style.

Also, the peel effect really doesn't differentiate it that much. The only thing I can see to be better as any Paper elements proper the the characters and the series about paper. The airplane isn't global so that's why I'm seeking for more ideas.

Also, those are simple so it makes sense to be simple (megaman wasn't his helmet but a gear can't be more simple).
It's not a 3D effect though... It's just a 2D image that kind of appears 3D? I guess? Still just the two colors without any kind of gradient

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Shame on me for not mentioning my support earlier. Paper Mario has been one of my most wanted characters in Sm4sh since the beginning along with the Villager, Bandana Dee and Bayonetta. The Paper Mario series is once of my favorites of all time and I would be thrilled to see it decently represented in Sm4sh, unlike in the previous games. And I'm sure Paper Mario has the potential to be among the most unique and interesting characters.

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I also made a moveset for Paper Mario a while ago. It was my first ever attempt at making one, so I apologize if it's complete ass. (also I can't find where to make spoilers, so I'll just have to post it.)

Entry: Paper Mario flips into the stage, Super Paper Mario style.

A: Hits the opponent with his hammer in a downward arch, much like he does in Paper Mario.

AAA: Hits the opponent twice, then smashes the opponent on the head with his hammer.

Dash A: Paper Mario thrusts his hammer forward.

Up tilt: Jumps up a bit in his traditional jump pose and hits the opponent with his fist.

Side tilt: Paper Mario hits the opponent with a burning hammer. (Fire Drive)

Down tilt: Paper Mario pounds the ground and two pieces of the ground fly up and damage on contact.

Up smash: Throws his hammer into the air, it spins, then catches it. (Hammer Throw)

Side Smash: Stands in place, charging his hammer with an angry face, then releases, spinning in place holding the hammer like a helicopter. (Super Hammer)

Down Smash: Jumps into the air and does a Ground Pound/Spin Jump.

Neutral air: Paper Mario spins his hammer around.

Up air: Paper Mario thrusts his hammer upwards.

Down air: Mario puts on Power Bounce and kicks downwards.

Forwards air: Paper Mario swings his hammer in an upwards arc.

Back air: Paper Mario kicks behind him with his Ultra Boots.

Shield: Normal shield.

Roll: Mario rolls forward/backward in Tube Mode.

Air Dodge: Mario flips out, then back in.

Grab - Grabs the enemy with Thoreau.

Pummel - Smacks the enemy with Cudge.

Up throw - Paper Mario throws the enemy onto his hammer then swings it up into the air overhead.

Down throw - Power Jump: Paper Mario throws the enemy down, then jumps on them.

Forward throw - Paper Mario takes the enemy and throws them in front of him, where he hits them with Power Smash.

Back throw - Paper Mario throws the enemy behind him, and Fleep "flips" (I don't know how to word what Fleep does) the enemy, resulting in a multi-hit attack, then Paper Mario finishes the throw with his hammer.

B - Boomer Throw - Mario throws Boomer in a straight path, blows up on contact. Chargeable, and covers longer distances if charged.

Up B - Spring Jump: Paper Mario coils his body downwards, then springs up into the air.

Side B - Ice Smash: Mario charges up his hammer, which it then flashes blue after 2 seconds, and can freeze the enemy.

Down B - Barry-ier: Mario uses Barry's shield, damages foes if they make contact.

Final Smash - Supernova: Paper Mario jumps into the air, takes out the Crystal Star, and holds it above his head. Lines appear being drawn around the stage, then break off, falling into pieces. The stage appears back, and all opponents get hit with high knockback.

Staarih

Smash Master
I find it interesting that Paper Mario is in almost no "leaks" for this game. It doesn't really concern me though, because I don't remember the likes of Rosalina, Greninja or Robin being in almost any leaks either, and look what happened. Sakurai seems to go with unexpected, yet unique and workable characters. Gives me faith in Paper Mario even more.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It's not a 3D effect though... It's just a 2D image that kind of appears 3D? I guess? Still just the two colors without any kind of gradient
No, that's not how it works. There's only one color and it's the grey one. The rest is transparency or alpha if you want so no color. Look at the site the same logo appears on newcomers banner and character page so it's not a color, but transparency. It's also like in game in the HUD.

Shame on me for not mentioning my support earlier. Paper Mario has been one of my most wanted characters in Sm4sh since the beginning along with the Villager, Bandana Dee and Bayonetta. The Paper Mario series is once of my favorites of all time and I would be thrilled to see it decently represented in Sm4sh, unlike in the previous games. And I'm sure Paper Mario has the potential to be among the most unique and interesting characters.
Added! We got more support since I became the OP (in fact, it kept dying before).

I agree, he could turn out to be one of the most unique newcomer with the playstyle I explained above. I'm sure if a trailer is released, people will better understand that which is another reason to want him in.

Oh yeah, I also made a moveset for Paper Mario a while ago. It was my first ever attempt at making one, so I apologize if it's complete ***. (also I can't find where to make spoilers, so I'll just have to post it.)

Entry: Paper Mario flips into the stage, Super Paper Mario style.

A: Hits the opponent with his hammer in a downward arch, much like he does in Paper Mario.

AAA: Hits the opponent twice, then smashes the opponent on the head with his hammer.

Dash A: Paper Mario thrusts his hammer forward.

Up tilt: Jumps up a bit in his traditional jump pose and hits the opponent with his fist.

Side tilt: Paper Mario hits the opponent with a burning hammer. (Fire Drive)

Down tilt: Paper Mario pounds the ground and two pieces of the ground fly up and damage on contact.

Up smash: Throws his hammer into the air, it spins, then catches it. (Hammer Throw)

Side Smash: Stands in place, charging his hammer with an angry face, then releases, spinning in place holding the hammer like a helicopter. (Super Hammer)

Down Smash: Jumps into the air and does a Ground Pound/Spin Jump.

Neutral air: Paper Mario spins his hammer around.

Up air: Paper Mario thrusts his hammer upwards.

Down air: Mario puts on Power Bounce and kicks downwards.

Forwards air: Paper Mario swings his hammer in an upwards arc.

Back air: Paper Mario kicks behind him with his Ultra Boots.

Shield: Normal shield.

Roll: Mario rolls forward/backward in Tube Mode.

Air Dodge: Mario flips out, then back in.

Grab - Grabs the enemy with Thoreau.

Pummel - Smacks the enemy with Cudge.

Up throw - Paper Mario throws the enemy onto his hammer then swings it up into the air overhead.

Down throw - Power Jump: Paper Mario throws the enemy down, then jumps on them.

Forward throw - Paper Mario takes the enemy and throws them in front of him, where he hits them with Power Smash.

Back throw - Paper Mario throws the enemy behind him, and Fleep "flips" (I don't know how to word what Fleep does) the enemy, resulting in a multi-hit attack, then Paper Mario finishes the throw with his hammer.

B - Boomer Throw - Mario throws Boomer in a straight path, blows up on contact. Chargeable, and covers longer distances if charged.

Up B - Spring Jump: Paper Mario coils his body downwards, then springs up into the air.

Side B - Ice Smash: Mario charges up his hammer, which it then flashes blue after 2 seconds, and can freeze the enemy.

Down B - Barry-ier: Mario uses Barry's shield, damages foes if they make contact.

Final Smash - Supernova: Paper Mario jumps into the air, takes out the Crystal Star, and holds it above his head. Lines appear being drawn around the stage, then break off, falling into pieces. The stage appears back, and all opponents get hit with high knockback.
First, you're added on the list.

Second...this might be complicated.

See, I used since I became the OP a moveset policy that means that every moveset appears in the OP. The problem I have with yours is as you said, since it's outdated, it doesn't reflect the character's abilities. In fact, most of the moves are hammer or hammer with badges which I guess is valid, but just feels a little bland.

So, I'll give you the choice: you could tell me to not put it in the OP and rework it (I like some moves though), or that I will put it, but if you agree that you would rework on it, I'll just indicate work in progress in the spoiler title. It's not that it's bad, but there's reasons I use the slogan "infinite potential" and my goal in the OP is to tell and show that. All movesets I got so far reflects that to some extent by mostly putting the focus on the versatility. I suggest you check other movesets already in the OP and mariowiki for partners attacks. It's actually easy to do a moveset because of how much you can do with him.

Just reply to this to give me your answer.

Speaking of movesets, @ Kevandre Kevandre , you have 2 in the OP that are special only, but you recent one has multiple instances because you used customisations ideas while your older one has only 3 specials moves. I checked the whole thread and gather them so it's likely that the older one is outdated now so, don't mind if I remove it, but keep you're recent one?

I find it interesting that Paper Mario is in almost no "leaks" for this game. It doesn't really concern me though, because I don't remember the likes of Rosalina, Greninja or Robin being in almost any leaks either, and look what happened. Sakurai seems to go with unexpected, yet unique and workable characters. Gives me faith in Paper Mario even more.
That's a reason he has decent chances, but not small or big. We are completely in the dark now and almost no speculation material. I don't necessarily think this fact helps that much, but with Sakurai, you'll never know... Also, I lurked a lot in the old leaks thread and every one that had Paper Mario in was so bad that it wasn't even worth to consider it credible. Tough, we don't need leaks now as I didn't see one that got 100% real when sal one was confirmed partially real. What gives me faith however is how I think he stands out despite competitors for remaining places. That gives chances to have been considered at least, but we'll see what happens.

So, I updated the OP with my series icon as it seems the most fitting so far. Tough, if you have a better idea representing the whole series, don't hesitate to tell me and I'll see if I can make it.

Lastly, I have a surprise that should please you. I made this image just for fun:

I just love GC controller...

Yeah, those inputs icons are from TTYD and they seem more clever than the one on this forums. All inputs can be used including holding buttons. The only one that I don't understand is the Dpad since it doesn't show all directions and I don't understand how they used it. It's perfect for moveset if you want to give it a TTYD look (I will actually do so for mine). Of course, all icons available will be avilable in the more goodies section in the OP. it includes way more icons than the one above so I hope you'll love them.

With that in mind, I'll reveal what I will post Tuesday as a TTYD anniversary celebration by a tease:

Ahem!

Tuesday...

I'm going to tell you the story
of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

A year an a half ago...

In the comfort of my room, where I play video games.

It was calm as usual.

And it was said that I enjoyed playing old games.

But one day...awesomeness befell this blessed place.

TO BE CONTINUED...

I think you should have an idea of what this coded message means and I hope you'll look forward to it.

EDIT: Oh @ Patwhit01 Patwhit01 I forgot. You posted your second and third messages here. Thanks and welcome to smashboards!

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
I love this thread, heck yes Paper Mario should totally be playable in SSB4 and I think he would be a better "flat" character than Chorus Kids could ever try to be. Count me in as a supporter.

Also FYI I spotted a Paper Peach trophy in one of the Smash 4 trailers so hopefully that contains some validity.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
I support! Paper mario has so many unique options and is a great character overall.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I love this thread, heck yes Paper Mario should totally be playable in SSB4 and I think he would be a better "flat" character than Chorus Kids could ever try to be. Count me in as a supporter.

Also FYI I spotted a Paper Peach trophy in one of the Smash 4 trailers so hopefully that contains some validity.
Added! I'm glad that you love it here :)

I don't necessarily have any opinion on chorus kids simply because I have no idea how they would work. I would really need to see it to make any conclusion.

The Paper Peach trophy was already known right after the trailer (I even spotted it on first watch). Thanks anyway. Though, it's literally nothing new because in brawl, you had a Paper Peach trophy from the latest game which was spm. Here, it's the sticker star model so there's really nothing new here.
What it means is that we would need to know more informations to tell where the repping got pushed for this series, but I personally think that according to what I see now, I don't see why it wouldn't improve.

I support! Paper mario has so many unique options and is a great character overall.
Added and totally agree with this!

Now, I need to talk about the OP. First, there was 2 updates: I changed the inputs icons in my moveset to the one from TTYD making the moveset look better. And, I changed the palette swap image to use original TTYD models and the last 2 palette being edited on them from the color of sticker star. In that regard, I added a sixth palette which is the fire flower color. I wanted to change it some times ago, but now it's done.

Finally, I can finally talk about the biggest changes that this OP will have: The core section will change.

Right now, the core of the OP is the moveset section as it shows clear implementation of big potential. The problem though is that it shows INSTANCES of it instead of showing the full deal which is what this OP should do since it's better to prove that Paper Mario has a big potential than proving he isn't a clone since the former kinda prove the latter subjectively. You would also need to see him in his games to be convinced of the latter while the former could be understood by being presented only.

So, following my main message the OP should give, "infinite potential", I will add a new section called "his potential" between chances and movesets that will become the core of the OP.

This means a lot for this section and the moveset one as it will have less priority once the new section is complete. It means the following for the movesets section:

• The partial, very incomplete or any ideas already explained in the section above would most likely be removed and the original creator would be informed before to give him time to do a full or almost complete moveset if he wants.
  • Of course, it means that I will abandon my moveset policy which means that not every movesets ideas will be added, but only ones that are full or almost complete and give a clear uses of his potential and preferably has versatility in mind.
  • This section will stop talking about potential, but the possible implementations of them.

It might seems to remove useful contents, but the section above will have more useful one. The goal of it is to tell what he can do instead of showing examples. Stuff like showing what he can do with badges and hammer or jumps. Or, what his partners are and can do. This of course includes his abilities like the air plane or spring jump. It will show so much that it would ENCOURAGE the making of full movesets and appreciation. It also has to be the best presented and the best part of the OP to draw attention right away and to not only talk, but show his potential we see as "infinite".

It means the following:

• Ideas pertaining to unexplained or forgotten abilities will have serious consideration.
  • Because of the amount of infos here, it will make movesets way easier to make and more people will realise the possibilities of implementation.
  • It would have the most images for the best looking.
  • It has to draw attention right away after the general talks about him.
  • It would be THE section that shows why I chose such a mysterious title and slogan.
  • Since it will make movesets easier to make, we would see more implementation further proving my slogan.
Of course, it will require a lot of work, but once this section will be done, I think it would become one of the best looking OP with enormous contents around. I wanted to make this OP unique by make it feels like his series, but now, it will show what his series is unique in itself. I hope you will look forward to this big change as it will become bigger and bigger over time. After all, explaining potential that is "infinite" does take a long time :)

With that, if you have a partial and mostly incomplete, specials only or talks about potentials in the OP, I suggest to make a full one as it may be removed after.

So, would you think it will help to have more support?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
The Paper Peach trophy was already known right after the trailer (I even spotted it on first watch). Thanks anyway. Though, it's literally nothing new because in brawl, you had a Paper Peach trophy from the latest game which was spm. Here, it's the sticker star model so there's really nothing new here.
What it means is that we would need to know more informations to tell where the repping got pushed for this series, but I personally think that according to what I see now, I don't see why it wouldn't improve.
I know it doesn't mean a lot, but the lack of other Paper characters in that trophy bunch sparks my interest slightly. I think if Paper Mario wasn't playable we would see a trophy of him by now. However, i'm making extremely wild guesses, and there is really no secure evidence available.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

If someone could add me to the list of supporters that would be great.

Had an idea for Paper Mario's trailer.

Shot of Dreamland from space before cutting into Kirby fighting Bowser. Watching the fight is a lone figure who is heard gasping. The figure is then revealed to be a nervous looking Adeleine in front of a canvas. She has an idea and hurriedly starts painting. Close up shots of reds, blues and browns before Adeleine steps back and looks at the painting, pleased with herself. The painting comes to life and Bowser, now distracted looks over in horror. Cut away to Paper Mario putting his patented wooden hammer on his shoulder.

"Paper Mario Tears in!"

This starts playing as Paper Mario strolls across a stage. Goombella then starts tattling;

"You've finally made it! The Great Gonzales has made it to the biggest fighting stage in the world. The foes here are quite tough though"

Paper Mario starts hitting foes with his hammer, using a variety of moves;

"Your patented hammer, use it to your advantage, whether you're throwing it, or smashing enemies to Underwhere with it, you'll always be remembered for your hammer."

Paper Mario shoots Koops/Kooper out into an enemy, grabs a foe with Thoreau before using Watt to zap them away, finally, in a counter style move, Vivian ducks with Mario before using shade fist and burning the enemy:

"Don't forget about us Mario, we've always been here to help you and Smash Brothers is exactly the same."

Paper Mario is Donkey Kong Punched off the stage and KO'd

"Don't forget you're made from paper and as such you're very light, try not to take too much punishment."

Some more gameplay of Paper Mario is shown before cutting back to Dreamland where Bowser lay defeated. Paper Mario spots something in the distance and runs off. Kirby and Adeleine watch on, confused. Paper Mario is then shown with Mr. Game and Watch, the two start taunting as they are both pleased to find out they aren't the only flat character in the game.

I'll post some ideas for a move set later.

I hope you all enjoyed reading my very first post here.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, TTYD has today 10 years old. I was just happy to see this day coming to celebrate it because It's not something I should ignore. I will do it in this post as I teased before, but now, replies!

I know it doesn't mean a lot, but the lack of other Paper characters in that trophy bunch sparks my interest slightly. I think if Paper Mario wasn't playable we would see a trophy of him by now. However, i'm making extremely wild guesses, and there is really no secure evidence available.
It really is a wild guess because I could say the same for those that imo, have less chance (like ray). It really has nothing to do with teasing not even alluding which was the case with Ridley (though, August 20 wasn't that obvious). We just saw today a starfox stage, but why now? It really is simple to answer: Sakurai *get out of the room*.

But if you want a good straw, Sakurai said in his captions that the stage would make other fighter run over the top of fox. Paper Mario can run over the top with airplane :troll:

So, if new info, I have no idea when.

Hi guys,

If someone could add me to the list of supporters that would be great.

Had an idea for Paper Mario's trailer.

Shot of Dreamland from space before cutting into Kirby fighting Bowser. Watching the fight is a lone figure who is heard gasping. The figure is then revealed to be a nervous looking Adeleine in front of a canvas. She has an idea and hurriedly starts painting. Close up shots of reds, blues and browns before Adeleine steps back and looks at the painting, pleased with herself. The painting comes to life and Bowser, now distracted looks over in horror. Cut away to Paper Mario putting his patented wooden hammer on his shoulder.

"Paper Mario Tears in!"

This starts playing as Paper Mario strolls across a stage. Goombella then starts tattling;

"You've finally made it! The Great Gonzales has made it to the biggest fighting stage in the world. The foes here are quite tough though"

Paper Mario starts hitting foes with his hammer, using a variety of moves;

"Your patented hammer, use it to your advantage, whether you're throwing it, or smashing enemies to Underwhere with it, you'll always be remembered for your hammer."

Paper Mario shoots Koops/Kooper out into an enemy, grabs a foe with Thoreau before using Watt to zap them away, finally, in a counter style move, Vivian ducks with Mario before using shade fist and burning the enemy:

"Don't forget about us Mario, we've always been here to help you and Smash Brothers is exactly the same."

Paper Mario is Donkey Kong Punched off the stage and KO'd

"Don't forget you're made from paper and as such you're very light, try not to take too much punishment."

Some more gameplay of Paper Mario is shown before cutting back to Dreamland where Bowser lay defeated. Paper Mario spots something in the distance and runs off. Kirby and Adeleine watch on, confused. Paper Mario is then shown with Mr. Game and Watch, the two start taunting as they are both pleased to find out they aren't the only flat character in the game.

I'll post some ideas for a move set later.

I hope you all enjoyed reading my very first post here.
WOW, first post? Welcome to Smashboards then and thank you for sharing it here :)

Only me can edit the first message as I own it, but I already added you.

I liked your trailer idea because it follows what I think will happen: misleading to surprise. This is even more by actually showing someone not playable (though, it would make sense that she's... I don't know assist or any role?). The only thing I wonder is, since it doesn't make sense for Gombella to have a voice, I assume it has to be in text in hey gorgeous font. But, would that make the flow of the trailer a little too slow? It has to go quite fast to feel dynamic, but then again, there's not that much text. It's just that it might feel awkward to read in a trailer. If it wasn't for that though, I would just LOVE the idea because of so much jokes potential. Love how it can quickly show his potential and the Game & Watch joke (really, who doesn't want that?).

Also, I added it to the OP (first post) :)

I'll be very happy to see another moveset because I said that I'm going to change the way the OP presents his potential and it would mean that full moveset would be more needed than partial one (to some extent at least).
Finally, I just want to tell you: THAT USERNAME!!! Great choice :)

So, I teased you before, but now, I'm going to do a very special post in honnor of TTYD anniversary. It will be long, but since it's the Paper Mario thread, it should be worth the read.

So, my teased was, as you might have guessed, a modified version of the TTYD intro text. It basically meant that I was at home as usual until something happened. As obvious as it might sound, it was because I received TTYD. Now, the tricky part is the video above. If you don't know me on this forum, you couldn't know what it meant. I use this video as a trademark in really long posts in debates or essay that should be considered the most serious way possible. I hear the music the whole time I type and I share it at the beginning of my post. It's a philosophy to remind me to think carefully and the reader to consider carefully as it can be critical in debates.

But this...isn't exactly a debate, but it needs to be read with consideration.

In this forum, I talked several times why SSBM was my best game of all time while TTYD was second (TL;DR, if I didn't play SSBM, so I didn't for TTYD). I did tell what I've done on this game, but the best explained part are scattered in this thread and don't explain everything.

So, you guessed it: I will do my memories of TTYD from first playtrough to today as I'm still addicted to it. This game has specials reasons why it became very important for me, but now...

EARTHBOUND MUSIC!!!

<realtalk>

[collapse=I SPOIL THE WHOLE GAME SO DON'T READ ANY SPOILER IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW]
Before

So, I didn't know the series before a long time. It's actually weird that I never heard of it as I recently discovered that I love RPG. I only started to know about it 2 years ago when I saw a progressive an increasing popularity for speedruning Paper Mario (aka, PM64). One person made this game more and more popular as I was frequently watching speedruns. It increased so much after time that it is today VERY glitchy.

That's how I got interested and bought it on the Wii virtual console (aka, VC). Thing is, I heard about Paper Mario: The Thousand-year Door (aka, TTYD) at the same time. There's one person (Almolicious on twitch.tv) who run this game a lot and he's still today the record holder. I will tell you that just looking at the game with clueless informations, just that made me want to have it. I noticed this in some games, But this one has a little something I couldn't get.

So, I beat PM64 and found overall that it was a great game. This is actually ironic as it was the opposite when I was a kid. But then, I keep hearing about TTYD by most people being an improvement over PM64. I did speedrun a game: Zelda minish cap just for fun and feel what speedrun is. I'm telling this because that's how I knew someone who just kept telling me to buy the game (who would be relevant later). I know it seems good and I keep hearing about it, but can it be THAT good?

I usually don't tend to find a lot of game to be so good that it's a mind blower. When I heard about a game being great, I usually end the game with a very enjoyable experience, but not as memorable to be the second best one (being the best is impossible). For example, I played zelda a link between world and I agree, it's really good, but will I remember my experience years later? Probably not since it's wasn't notable enough (except Lorule castle's theme that one was epic).

So, I didn't expect that I wouldn't end up like PM64 because I had my expectations at normal. However, with how much praise this game got, I finally decided that it was worth the 40$ on Ebay.
[/collapse]
[collapse=part 1]
First playtrough: mind blown

I received it in November 2012. As silly as it sounds, since I already watched enough speedrun to tell, My first time I played the game was during what in speedrun is called a "blind race". It's not a typical race until goal because the concept is that you have to be clueless when you play which means you need to not have started any save file and go trough the game as fast as possible to reach the goal. It's silly, but mine was just for ch1 so I agreed anyway. I can only tell you one thing: I was bad since I accepted 2 tutorials.

I erased the file to now TRULY starts. I never expected to start the very same file that has today a stuck time counter at 99:99.

Right when I boot the game, the intro was neat. BUT THAT TITLE MUSIC IS ANOTHER SCALE!!! I literally danced in my chair for around 15 minutes on it. I was honestly very doubtful because you do not expect ANY game to have a music that is so catchy and good on the title screen BEFORE YOU START YOUR FILE ON THE MEMORY CARD!!! That's probably the quickest way I saw to make a game awesome. That's when I started to think that I might just find this one particularly good. I still don't why I just loved so much to even look at the screen though.

So, at the beginning, I was introduced to elements that on the moment, wasn't relevant, but became to be as I play. That's the reason you have to play it to feel it. I didn't even noticed that the Rogueport music was very good until I kept hearing it and found it very fitting. Same goes for the text style and window: you only get why they are there after playing some time. Even if I found them appealing before, I again, couldn't tell why because you really need to play it to know.

And then, it became to be quite different on the second map with the Gombella cutscene. I just found that for any Mario game and even games in general, the humour seemed to have his own style too. Details like the pianta with the accent in the background while in the foregorund, texts about vital plot informations was just silly and funny. It actually is the whole humour: "silly". It just turns out that it's my favourite humour type so I liked jokes. But it became to be really weird compared to PM64 with Rogueport itself; dark. I just love how it got to the point when it was really obvious especially with the text. Just seeing graffiti in a Mario is already unusual, but seeing real life stuff with credits card fraud was totally unexpected. To remind you, I haven't played Earthbound until last February, but the feeling was pretty similar. I even think it might have inspiration from it, but I'll tell you later. It's also why the music fits so much: it sort of feel like a contrast between good and bad which is the whole contrast of the East and West side of the town.You can only notice that visually after beating Chapter 2, but you already can read text before. Again, you need to play it to know.

Then, I really enjoyed the frankly's theme. I figured it out later that it was a good way to get your attention to read vital informations so getting stuck is more unlikely. Actually, seeing the text in the bubble was already appealing that I just wanted to read for the sake of seeing texts effects. That's quite neat since it helps for those who dislike reading in games.

So, I think so far you're seeing a pattern, every thing so far was detailed with elements to just make the game look good. Normally, contents that are very good don't necessarily look so. The title screen music however, has to announce something amazing in that regard. Details like animation when you enter a pipe or just basically seeing anything folds was just enjoyable to see. It's purely aesthetic, but it just pushes you more and more to play. That's the whole game right there: you started; you can't give up before the end. Hey! that reminds me of this: "No crying until the end". I don't think it's a coincidence if it's just happens to share the same philosophy.

And then, it actually started to be good as it looks. The black chests... the best tutorial joke ever that became a running gag. I know some game likes to explain in a funny way, but not to the point of even making you believe the total opposite of any conventions in games: power up. You agree that it helps? I mean there's the word "up" so it must improve at least. The chest acting in pity and literally calling you a "fool" as soon as you open it was just "WTH?". To even push it further by trying to act like a villain that tricked you to give a curse, just seemed so random. But giving the power up is like you don't understand any more. It's a scale of irony that is so high that it is laughable. It's not even done, he even enjoy the fact that he would have done something nasty while he did the total opposite.

And the question... ah the question just killed me. In tutorial, it happens often to ask something like "Do you need to see the explanation again?" or anything that confirms you're understanding. This was the best: he asks you if you got how terrible his curse is. He even assumed that it was, but the true funny part is having to tilt the stick and press A to answer that it was. Doing the opposite doesn't just redo the tutorial, but you get insulted by him saying that you're an idiot to not get it. You have no choice, but to answer "yeah it was terrible" which is not the default choice. That, is an impressive way to break the fourth wall...like earthbound and the rolling HP meter.

So, after trying to understand if I just lived a tutorial, I continued. Honestly, as average as the Chapter 1 is, I enjoy it mainly because of more aesthetic. You just have to play more since the games prompts you every time to be hyped at any moment. Just seeing a text bubble makes you want to see them more; same for the environment. I found petal meadows and Petalburg lovely. And the battles...oh the battles was like a festival of effects every single time. This is why I want so much this stage: if it can make me want to trigger a battle for the sake of doing it, it would certainly makes me want to choose this stage again and again which is what Sakurai wants in the first place. Really, it became to a point when the meaningful action of just doing a single jump was hype for the stylish! moves. Add partners and badges and it's just as crazy as it sounds and maybe even more with audiences. Just the music speaks for itself it's so quick and catchy while the battles are quick and hype. It's fun for a short time, but in multiple instances.

So, I realised that the game not only do the unexpected, but also make the most usual action not that usual. Seriously, how can doing a normal jump, the same you do hundreds of times can even SOUND interesting? Earthbound had to use an auto fight system which was appreciated, but this is the first RPG I played that skipping most of the fights or using an auto fight would be LESS ENJOYABLE!!! I'm telling you, I tried FF7 and I couldn't stand the fights, but Pokemon was fine because of the repels (tough, X/Y look appealing because 3D animations). It's not even the same thing with how random these battles are so it doesn't expire. Actually, why RPG has to use a random encounter system while you could make the battle random to get over the encounter system?

I know, RNG is easily programmed compared to multiple npc. But I realised that so much details was there that they wouldn't mind to do anything possible as I played more.

Just one thing neat about the POW block because I died here: that's a great hidden tutorial. Telling how to use items is one thing, but making you realise that they are useful is a good idea to NOT think that they aren't.

Hooktail castle was pretty usual, but with a neat theme. Speaking of the theme, why I feel they are better while they look like normal vgm music? It took me a long time to figure this out, but if you listen to a music with the volume maxed, you will just feel the music as it was the real setting. Not only surround sound helps, but there's so much sound in the background that it improves the immersion of the music. "Answer the question!" is the best example of 20 seconds that with the background sound, increase the level of pressure. Along with a unique sound style, the music were quite different than other games. It makes simple cutscene like every ms mows encounter feels to be owned by the character. I actually found that some music were remixes way after I finished and let me tell you, the final result was some time just NOT the original and very far from it.

Just a little thing though, I found the spike labyrinth out of there. Maybe it was a hidden tutorial for time limits? Seems kinda of pointless, but I get a curse joke after so I said nothing. Oh, they change the way to insult you so the joke is still good. I found the 3D view very nice to see even though I ask why here? Maybe the game wants to tell you if it wasn't obvious that it's boss, but anyway.

Hooktail was standard for a boss and I really have nothing to say EXCEPT that lie joke. Just something I found nice to have even for a first boss. Btw, "Can't flee this fight!" is just... that feel.

The music and sounds here when you finish a Chapter just feel like happiness and, again, prompts you to play even more. Where does this end?

I'm now completely clueless on how I would find this game because so much details was there after the most average chapter. When honestly would I start to not like the game?

I'm just going to mention the intermissions: for making you NOT want to stop to play and if not the case, to make you look forward to continue, that was the best combination. Firs, the Peach one. is actually more deep than what it sounds. The TEC story is very deep if you pay a very close attention to the text. The best part that just really makes you love TEC is the quiz. Ok, the dumb choices was funny and the xnaut had hilarious jokes, but let me tell you that that moment needed serious though to be made. At the beginning, he says that he can't "answer that question" about grodius's secret plan. When he realises that he wants that peach is safe, but being a computer, he's in the absolute impossibility to answer the question. Problem? It's a computer so he was in the possibility of being 100% "working" but he could be "glitchy" to what was not told to him. No one told him to not PROMPT the question to someone with answers that are dumbs but the good one.

In fact, it became to a point when this story tried to say a well hidden message: love is like a computer glitch; if you have it, you will react intentionally, but unusually in your life. Not to mention that how honestly would the only way that he could "feel" love? See, if we told a computer that a particular style of person is fun to be with, but also to keep that person locked and isolated, really, what would happen? The absolute instructions doesn't make sense and are even contradictory, but again, what would happen if we didn't used an handler for such an exception? It will run, but erratically. Making his diagnosis report to tell him that he wants to know more on Peach would actually be a bug because no one told him to do so and it would clearly not be intended.

I don't know for you, but this story was really deep. To see it in segment between chapter is even better since it acts like a reward.

Now, Bowser. EVERY intermissions has just one word in mind: hi-la-rious! The joke quality here are just absurd. He looks pity every time and it's just so satisfying to see him NOT be the main villain, but the dumbest. Btw, enjoy this because that's not going to happen a lot. Really, to not use him makes this game more original. Yeah Peach is kidnapped (though they joke about how recurring this is), but with a deep story.

So, you have a love thriller intermissions with an hilarious one (not even going to comment on that mario bros game with freaking STAKES AS MUSHROOM!!!). Great rewards and you just want more...again.

Just going to speed this up because I already talked about the recurring elements so, get ready...

Intermission to ch2 isn't notable, but we still have the town getting worse every time.

Ch2: The artstyle is unique yet, consistent with keeping you to look forward to go further. Music is calm (I see this fitting with wii fit trainer btw). THAT MOMEMT WITH FLURRIE THOUGH!!! For those in the Ridley thread, that's why I made flurrie x ridley to just feel too awkward to even happen, but apparently, the manager saw the complete opposite... The tree is ok, without punies. With however, it's just... why? No that may be the only part with no purpose because I question why I have to do this. Please, show me how the system is powerful without affecting the experience too much. That boss theme though IS SO EPIC!!! There's a part that last for 10 seconds, only 10 seconds and just hearing it makes you powerless and pumped to fight. That's just the second boss btw... Loved that PM64 reference at the end of the ch.

Intermissions to ch3 could have been annoying because of the lens. It wasn't obvious. But more pianta accent makes it better.

Ch3: hands down the best and ironically, the most repetitive anyway. This chapter is the proof of the battle style being genius with even more randomness. It's 20 intended fight in a row that you have the same goal, but a different restriction that is completely random. Imagine this in any RPG to fight 20 times straight and to win every time even with a random restriction. It could mostly be translated as unoptimised farming and that is just annoying. Here, intended or not it would be fun just because of the battle system. I really think RPG should go that way because honestly, most of the worry of people being sceptical of RPG is lots of battles. The story was good though with being a thriller and the vibration pattern of X email.

intermission to ch4: It's not that interesting, but why do you write my name on myself? Seems fishy

ch4: I said "when does this end?" when talking about how the game wants me to play more and by being amazing with ch3, but honestly, this was the best troll ever. It tries to tell you at the beginning in a dark theme that something is fishy now. The trigger are scary: talk to someone -> talk to gatekeeper -> while trying to talk to someone else, first person got cursed. -> when reaching that person and coming back, gatekeeper got cursed -> open door and continue. That's not normal to just happens like that. It seems... bland. Really, simple road, small manson, all seems to go normal,but you still feel it's fishy. At this point, the game was about to be in the bad scale...until you realise that it's what the game wanted that you think about.

What reaction you had after the game prompted you to save, saved, and you getting away from the camera leaving it stucked on the top of the steeple. What did you do? I tough it would have been the worst chapter, but it seemed it was a freeze for me so of course I tried to push button...wow, that was a mind blow. After the usual "WTH?", I realised how this game is using backtracking as way to make it BETTER! By giving you the feel you got stolen your identity, you want to get it back as fast as possible because if not, panic can haunt you and that's exactly what this ch is. Making you feel panicked and unsafe to even have to run away from the stealer 2 times. Fighting your own friends at the end is just painful for how you have to do that. I did not expected this ch to be my third favourite at all. Btw, the encounter (not battle) music of doopliss is the same melody as porky's theme on earthbound. I may think about the level up music, but the doopliss one is an obvious reference which makes me wondering if it got more inspiration of it.

to ch5: great intermission with the bobbery back story. Unless considering usual degradation of the town, nothing else to note.

Ch5 quite long honestly and very good in cutscene department. The thing with bobbery was...awkward. Some backtracking, but means more battles YAY! Pirate groto was ok it's just that I found it long, but again, curse joke and more battles. But that boss though, seriously that boss. First, music is very good (ssb4?) and the phase changes just makes this one more enjoyable with the different strategy you can use now. Fun fact: this is the most demanding moment for the system as on emulator, it lags at 15 fps which is 4 time slower. When I realised it's not the end because you fight WITH THE MAGNUS THEME!!! Dude that's a good way to end this ch.

To ch6: I have to tell it's good because of the 100 "I love you" text. First time I see a joke when there's an absurd amount of text that you have to pass each one of them making the task harder but even more absurd. Other than that, nothing to say.

Ch6: it really impressed me since it's following ch3 to be a break and because of text quality. Music is just relaxing with a radio effect especially at night when it's so lazy and relax. Getting trough the train in itself is annoying, but the fact that it's a calm and break environment doesn't make this bad at all, but better since it makes this break longer and it's good. Though, the text is so good. Everything Penington related is so hilarious. From thinking too deeply of the obvious of ignoring completely any sense of logic and priority is just fun to read. But that isn't the best joke: the diary was. I got that way later, but not just that ghost is silly, but also, that if you read his diairy after 5 prompts of suggesting to not do it, you directly and literally GAME OVER!!! If it sounds cruel, you have to be responsible to not save when you had like 15 minutes to do so in a small area with 2 saves. I laugh so much when I saw that. Riverside was ok but why they made the interior silent? More detail in my glitch hunt section. The boss was average and the same for his music, but that is expected in this chapter where everything is calm. Though, there's some weird stuff that could have happened more details later.

to ch7: almost nothing except getting oh dare I say it *cough* ultra hammer *cough*. You'll know why I said that later.

ch7: beginning is unfortunetely horrible, but not as ch2. You backtrack, but even with shortcuts, it's optimised to be the longest backtrack. Why they didn't do the opposite? The gold bo bomb coin joke was lol. 25 system window telling you "sleeping. Try again?" and even one faking waking up was so absurd with the nice and good text. When it gets interesting is the canon: music is fantastic and so is the cutscene. It's a good moment to feel motivated. On the moon, except the physics, nothing to add. The foretress though... MUSIC JUST WANT YOU TO FIGHT EVERYONE!!! Really, the battle is enough to make me fight, but with this? I love it. Though, navigation could be a little annoying, but otherwise is ok. Another magnus theme, another epic fight. Though, I think it's too similar than ch2. Nah, don't care music is good.

to ch8: That tec cutscene... Anyway, you're good for the TTYD right after so nothing. Though, the town is now at the maximum of its depression state. It's the worst now, every one has bad news and no good one. I found so immersive to assist to the possible collapse of the town as I played. However, the next and last ch proved me without any doubts that I'm loving this game a lot more than usual.

ch8: It relly is the most amazing chapter. the palace with everything before grodius is trial and recap of what you can do, but the riddle tower was particularly good with the music. Grodius fight is standard so much that it's obvious that there's more later, but the bowser one has an awesome theme. Final boss first phase was quite good, but making you attack and do nothing for 3 turns just makes you hopeless. And then...The most amazing part of the game and it will be the most memorable one: the crystal stars cutscene. It's can't be improved, no it can't. You just feel to have back up everywhere and it really gives a very strong feeling of encouragement. And who could forget that amazingness that is "We believe in you Mario!". This isn't a music no it's pure art and nothing else. I had to wait 5 minutes to realise that I was still playing a video game and hear this music after the cutscene. It's hand down the best encouragement music I've heard since it represent a progression with ups and down, but you still feel progress. That is something that is so me that I just think it's perfection. It's unremixable in this state.

Remember when I said someone convinced me to buy the game and kept talking about it? Well, that guy wanted to see my first attempt and most likely fail (he got her on his 13th attempt). So, I streamed this on twitch which the highlights are still available and you could clearly see it was an insane amount of luck. Here they are:

first: http://www.twitch.tv/aldelaro5/c/1791058
second http://www.twitch.tv/aldelaro5/c/1791061

I was slow because I was talking with him in the chat. Though, the one time after the crystal star cutscene was me being amazed of the audio and at the beginning of shadow queen final phase too. It's really the most complete boss theme I've heard and I hope it appears in smash.

I guess I can't get how difficult it should have been, but I was just too lucky. The ending though still follows the pattern of the whole chapter: the slowest ending possible with the most amazing thing possible. I just love this because it's like you right now: you played so much and got trough with interest so much that the ending would be hard to accept so it has to be smooth.

I may have forgotten some parts because there was way too much, but what I can tell you is that you should understand why you have to play to know. You really can't get this experience by other means. That's why I see anyone doubting to buy it, I immediately act like someone who REALLY want that you buy it because trust me, you'll thanks me later.

It's that kind of game that when you see "the end" on screen, you're just sad, but any masterpieces has to end one day...unless...
[/collapse]
[collapse=part 2]
Why I glitch hunted this game?

I spent a week or 2 in post game with trouble center and 100% stuff. I normally don't do, but why I wouldn't? Btw, the only I didn't get is the 100th floor in the pit, but glitch hunting made me too lazy. After though, I realised something; the game being way too long to speedrun only almo is active on it and we see almost no talk, but in his chat. This is f course something that made me sad as I just got addicted now so I said something that started everything in their IRC chat. I wouldn't think it would start so brutally, but I still think truly what I said that day.

I said that I love so much this game that I would do anything to make it better for speedrun and that would even include to go through the trouble of trying to find glitches. 2 minutes after, a guy named cerpin pm ed me to tell me basic info and it just started like that.

That day, December 31 2012, the eve of new year, I found my first glitch: if you go between the npc and the trash behind the wall in rogueport East while being on yoshi and jump out, you may be able to clip into the trash. I didn't know how long I would do this, but I know one thing: it's going to be awesome!
[/collapse]
[collapse=part 3]
Glitch hunt: better than expected

Oh i waited for so long to write something about my experience because there's just too much to talk. I could literally take hours, but I will restrain from the most relevant moment.

First, for those who are wondering with the most clueless expression: "How can you intentionally find a glitch?". It's actually simple to understand; doing it is another thing though. I can explain it by one sentence I learned: the best way to find a glitch, is to be aware how to not glitch. In other words, getting data by theorizing and testing stuff in the game while running natively or emulated allows me to have a better idea how certain elements works. If I have a clear idea or a serious theory, what I want to do is testing the "toughness" of this mechanics by having the most improbable case you could ever think while playing. This could allow me to see flaws in those mechanics or to have a better idea of their defence. Defensive programming is made to handle most of errors or exceptions as possible while it requires more work, but a more stable module. This is very used in debugging because you would have a better idea of what's the error and makes debugging easier. Since of course I don't have access to their dev kit, I can only use my mind which is very slow, but can do the job.

That's how you would think as a glitch hunter, but it's not easy because of the requirements. First, you need to have basic programming knowledge. I had more than enough even tough I can't make a game. I did make a cmd program that prompts you a number between 1 and 1000 and you input a number as guess. Each time, the cmd tells you if it's lower or higher until you get it and it prints the number of attempts. Just that requires knowledge and it's so simple to do, but I mean, you have to know how data works generally. You also need to know about the game you're playing. This might be the dumbest thing I just said, but it's not as you might think. You really need to know informations that are most of the time pointless to know, but in glitch hunt. Stuff like the location of cutscene trigger. I do have a big memory so I still have a lot of info of the game. And last, but not least, you have to be the type of person that just loves logic. No seriously if you don't like math just because you have to think, this isn't for you.

Oh I forgot to mention. It's optional, but recommended: love the game you're glitch hunting. The deepness that you will go in this process is very surprising at times and not loving you're game overall will just not make you motivated since it requires a lot of work. It's important here because I expected to love the game less due to annoyance. The opposite happened.

Ok, I'm going to do a list in what I think is chronological because I just have too much to talk. So, here's what happened:

Cerpin stayed with me for the first 5 months. Every day at least one pm was sent, but most of the time, it was complete discussion on how to do this or that. I enjoyed those conversation so much.

Since I started on console, it was hard. I think it was so for 2 months before I got a emulator setup. I had to do the chapter 3 at least 5 times for testing things after. It became to be annoyance so I did a file system: file one is a place holder for copy, file 2 is after of ch2, file 3 is after ch5 and I kept the fourth one as my original file and post game one. Doing this helped a lot with testing, but for testing something in ch4 or 5, I had to do ch3. I will say though that it wasn't that bad, but it makes testing possibility harder because you would need to be more convinced to try a theory.

Since the first day, I was aware of multiple things like pausing while triggering paper mode will auto finish the animation upon unpausing. Little stuff like that, but the most noticable is that you can go out of bounds (aka, oob or not in the boundaries of the map zone) in post game in one of the room in excess expresso by using yoshi. Just that I had good ideas.

Then came the partners mechanics: their priority are weird. Stuff like triggering them while doing something else. Unfortunately, only in rare cases it did something most of the time being useless, but funny. If you trigger flurrie and jump some frames after, it will lock you're model on any rotation. So, you could literally moonwalk. There's other side effects like getting out of yoshi will suspend the frame you had just before so it could look like you're in Paper Mode, but you aren't and have the same hitbox. Gombella, flurrie and ms mows turned out to be the one that has abilities to do useful stuff, but they were discovered later. Tough, I remember that I tried to fall with gmbella text, nothing, but I never tough I was so close to discover the most useful glitch.

Doors are so weird. The jolene office one in ch3 doesn't want to open, but post game, there's a guard even tough the door is usable. You just have to be precise in your position, but flurrie glitch helps for locking side and not talk to the guard. The left most door in ch7 is the same, but hard and you have to use weird inputs. I don't remember exactly, but let's just say it was making suffer mario.

That's when I started to realise that this game is solid. Almost everytime you're oob by under and fall too much, you are respawned wehere you loaded the map. Completely useless.

Triggers seems to be solid. I couldn't test that much on them, but I guess I need to explain what a sequence break is for later. The game and most games actually in some way have a sequence of events that goes from the beginning to the end. It's sort of like the time for a game. This one has a very simple sequence as the main one is linear which means that for one inputs, you get only one output. The problem is that the game doesn't check where you are in the sequence every time which can create what is called a sequence break. Let's say you are at point A and logically, you normally have to go to the point B and C in the respective order. But if a way exist to NOT go to point C from the point A which would normally not be intended for obvious reasons, the game will trigger C and continue as usual. For the game, you got to C so it's assumed that you got to B, but you didn't. Ocarina of time is a good example fun fact: you only need the first and last medallions to complete the game, not all six. Reasons? It's probably still like this today, but with n64 limitations, optimisation is a priority. Checking 2 flags (values that worth true or false) is less demanding than checking 6 flags value even tough it's a minor difference. I explained this because I found something that has to do with this if it's too confusing without getting what I said. I just want to note that you may go backwards if the trigger you're trying to get isn't assumed to be activated, but it's useful in rare cases.

A glitch was discovered by cerpin and it involves flurries with a door. If you use her and some frame after open a door, the game won't behave as it should. Normally, Mario should move to a spot and stay here some seconds to then begin to enter. But here, because you're in use of flurrie which freeze your speed, you go farther than you should out of that point. It can be altered with position and facing, but some uses was discovered when you can't reach the point after making the room loads without you. No cases was found useful, but our tests involved more the teleporter room from the sewers. At least for a month, we tried to get into that house without success. I think one of us got clipped from the outside, but I'm not sure.

And then, it slipped from us: ms mows glitch was discovered by nathan. It's still the most useful glitch found since it skips 30 to 40 minutes (that's the best and the whole game is 5-6 hours). Simple: as you fall on water, trigger Ms mows text and as soon as you pass the text, you regain control of mario in the air if you did it quick enough. The best part is that you can reach warps zone and activate their pipes and this allows to skip all ch5 EXCEPT the boat chest for the riddle tower. I have to say 3 things:
1 We were so close of discovering it that it was frustrating
2 the riddle tower would be the only spot you have to use the boat after ch5 which you skip. I tried way too much for a way with ms mows to skip the boat, but without uses.
3 The sequence is now f***** up: you do ch4, do the ms mows trouble and that is long, activate pipe, go to ch5 normally until you get bobbery, go to poshley via pipe, go in the train which trigger the ch6 and you do it normally to get ultra boots (that's so weird, but the trigger was probably loading the train zone), go to ch5 to get the boat (also, since you sequence break and got back, the ch5 is assumed finished so all trigger EXCEPT the black chest are activated) finally, go to ch6 again via pipes and get the star to continue normally. Confusing, but the boat chest not being triggered is weird and I got that way later. That moment was hype.

I messed up way too much with that stupid glitch. It's so annoying to do it repeatedly and it only ended up to not serve to anything. I wasted so much time in front of riddle tower like really it became to be annoying. Tough, there was some funny moments like I was able to walk underwater in Rogueport East (for some reasons, those water are rare and you guessed it, I tested on most of them). Oh btw, the glitch locks you're camera lol.

After being exhausted on testing this glitch (I hate it so much), I eventually ran out of ideas, but someone who isn't available a lot got access to an action replay or a hacking device on console. One of the hack was always increasing vertical speed or a moon jump. He tied to see if there was collision on the vent of grubba's office in ch3 and there was none! That is a very big deal because if you were somehow able to go there in ch3, you would go to the sir duct and trigger the cutscene here. Because of sequence logic, the game would assume that you did everything before that cutscene for that ch and the only remaining would be to get back in the office, get paper and fight the boss.

So, I heard of it, but cerpin asked me to try to get on the bookcase as a I had the perfect file for it. If you go on the highest point of the sofa, it might seems to either not pass closely or pass JUST tight enough. So, I tried and of course I couldn't realise that ground pound doesn't change your vertical position, but you need hacking tools to confirms that. I honestly tried so much stuff it was kinda random, but it just felt so close every time. After an hour, magic happened, I got there and I immediately had the first reflex to tell cerpin. That feel when you just might have found an hours skip with random attempts. Here's the thing though, I need to get footages of it as I could use a capture card. I will remember that day for a long time.

I was so hype to discover something big like this. Since it was on Friday, I always sleep one night at my grandmother's house so I packed up everything and I tried for hours to get literally, around 15-20 seconds of footages. I set a skype call with my friends to hype myself even more. That was so intense and of course, everyone in the speedrun community on that game freaked out on this as ch3 was the most rng heavy part and longest ch of the game. To skip it would mean better speedrun for a long time. So I might say I got some preasure which made this day even better. I didn't get how, but I managed to get the footages after 3 hours. of attempts. However, the video was in avi which was a problem because it took too much space to get uploaded properly on youtube. I failed 2 upload and wasted an hour so I had to convert the video...why this was so hard to find . Really, I have no idea but it took hours to find a converter on google that is free to use without trial and just convert and not doing other stuff. Anyway, I normally sleep at 1 : 30 AM on weekend but I had to sleep at 2 :30 when I got the video converted and sent to cerpin to not wait for the upload and sleep. The day after, it was online and is there:

The date is February 2 2013 so I discovered it on February 1, 2 months after I began my glitch hunt. I still remember this day again because it gave me so much hope to break this game enough. He gave me credits in the description for proof btw.

Of course, I had to first check if you can skip the ch and second, try to figure out how to do it since it might be useful (it actually is today, but only since last January). The former was annoying for me to get (I even remember to fall after I got it so frustrating). When I got it, it literally went into cerpin on stream telling me "what's there?" "check this trigger" "what happens if you try this?" and me responding in chat real time (I had to save which soft locks your game). Basically, my hopes were crushed because you need the supper hammer to break the vent to grubba (yeah it doesn't break the one in the other map) and you can only access the office by the duct or above which you need yoshi and even that, you would have a black wall so you can't see what you do.

With further tests, it was impossible to clip through and it was proved later that it only has a loading zone after breaking the vent. Even if we got that hammer, you need yoshi to go the ch4. However, if we were able to do both, it would work because fun fact (proven before), after the second doopliss fight, you get all the partners you were supposed to have at this point which does include yoshi. You don't need him at ch4 so it's ok. The thing is, by checking after the glitch other trigger (you exit to the champion room), they were ALL activated EXCEPT the minor league room. That's weird, I didn't even registered (I even had to refuse the contract to stay in the office), but I only got why recently. The rank value is global so no matter what you do in the sequence, it's not changed since it's there every map. So, by default, it get to 20 so, if the game assumed I registered, I was in minor. If you try to use the gba however, it's suspended because you should break the vent and can't fight here. And you're partners say no message [English] for whatever reasons (it's an error message for no texts).

But here's came the possibility that became so frustrating I still hate that thing today: getting ultra hammer early. Just typing those words made me remember bad memories. It was proven that the ultra hammer chest platform was accessible and that the chest is openable from it with precise, but easy inputs. Problem is, how to get here? We tried lots of things, but only one made sense after a while: the second floor of the inn which has a wall that is next to the platform. There's a bed there so I tried to do stuff here without any success, but I tried for days of literally rolling and jumping on a bed. It's actually funny what you can do on it: infinite flip sound, roll getting hard to get out, infinite hop. Only funny stuff, but I can't get rough that wall. Even without yoshi, this would skip ms mows trouble center so 10 minutes which is considered very big. I had to let that for no, but more stuff happened.

Flurrie glitch on doors got an improvement that made everyone without exception including me look dumb. A random guy on twitch (even worse he tried something we never though for months) got a weird effect with flurrie glitch that can even prevents you from getting into the room so you are in an unloaded texture map except the room. Like rogueport, it feels so dark and annoying to tell where you are. It had so funny side effects like seeing the whole apartment complex in rogueport West disappears. Or hearing 2 music at the same time (this is of course too much so I had to reset, too awesome). But without any doubts, this is the best side effect, but it's useless.

Yeah the same who found ms mows glitch. The badges shop for some reasons has weird thing if you load it 2 times. First, you see a hand cursor at the center of the screen. Don't know why maybe it was loaded here for placeholder? And then, if you buy an item, it goes normally. But you can select the same place again with no icons and the item named invalid items with garbage description. We though it was a thing called the debug badges (it's an OP badges unused in the game), but I know today that it's literally nothing. It shows an item, but has nothing here and the only reasons it's showed is because by duplicating the map, you duplicated the flag that said this item is bough or not so it assumes that it's still not bough. This is probably why, but it can't be confirmed and is simply accepted as trusted theory.

The extension of the glitch you mash x. Yes we were that dumb of pressing it, but not mash it. Anyway, you go away from the point and since you're still pressing x again, it locks you're speed to the horizontal, but you still move towards the point while the third slide is only locked on the side you face. Clear example discovered this year:

Yeah collision of walls is disabled while the animation is going. though, don't try to do this it's way to hard to do it without tas tools.

And that's when I think I decided to move to dolphin. Took me days to get the setup, but it works. I had now access to emulators tools and using a memory hacking program, I could check values and if possible edit them. Right away the first thing I tried that everyone wanted to know that wasn't even possible with action replay was that elevator house. Hacked into it and it worked, but at the foretress, the elevators doesn't work and the floor you are isn't the one with the cards you need. Shame, but ch7 early is down. I mention it because this happened way too much now with what I could know now. So much impossibilities was discovered.

Though, I found a tons of stuff, but at one point, I realised that with a not that powerful PC, I could run the game at like 35 40 fps which is around the 2 third of normal speed. So, it took too much time to get through ch so I decided to do something crazy and that was the best ideas: make saves every time I reach one after triggers. I had to play the game normally to not have any cheats enabled as it could cause problem. I had to do the whole game at speed that is 2x slower than normal to get around 100-150 saves in total all named and organised properly. Cortez fight was at 15 fps which was 4x slower and it's the most demanding point of the game. It took me a whole week to do it, but I had the saves and I uploaded them on my dropbox to never loose them. I had to convert them to memory card saves, but they are still there today. Proof? Here, just tells dolphin to use it as the file after booting the emulator:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w720uj5jjukb2iz/TTYD Saves.7z

File is 2 mb, but takes 2 gb after uncompression. Don't ask why, but it works.

I was so tired after I took a week of break :) This was the best idea I had because now, I was no longer limited to do ch3 50 times, but to go anywhere in 15 seconds (well, you have to reset, but anyway).

So, tested a lot, know more about the game overall. It went like this with big discoveries until May when for personal reasons, I had to stop my test. However, I will do a quick list of what I found in this period in quick succession:

Free look can change freely your camera. While using a cheat improperly as I fall in the water, I got infinately high which reveals my avatar I had now. I was scared for a 40 inch screen tv and they took more than the screen :) Founds months later what it was, mario's arms upscaled. They also appears in the canon cutscene is ch7. It's still unknown why such an asset would be there today, but if you have any ideas, PM ME NOW.

Speaking of assets, the background on ch begin and ends is an upscaled version of another asset so much that it takes kilometers with the normal camera looking like some pixels. Dry bones in hooktail castle form an asteroid belt after the fight. So many of them. The canon cutscene in ch7 has so much bomb omb. The back of characters models is... weird (btw, no peach isn't naked when she takes her shower I checked). Some models appears t the origins of some map and are stored there when needed. peach models, however, can be seen at the second frankly cutsene in the house right beside him. So ironic but she was there to loads her icons for text.

The way this game manages trigger is in fact very solid. if you go trough a loading zone while it's playing, it doesn't end it and the trigger is still there. Though, the game will try everything he can to pull you back if you go away. Triggering 2 cutscene will simply queue the second one.

I found 2 ways to clip out the bed in the inn, 1 on yoshi cliped in or 2 on tube mode cliped in. Both won't do anything, but it was so frustrating to get that close. You would be able to open the chest, but now, you can't.

Triggering the cutscene before Doopliss second fight without vivian will crash the game for unhandled exception.

Different partners that shouldn't be there gives some times no messages. Some conversation are hilarious.

I found that some tutorial for boots or paper abilities don't happen where you opened the chest, but may be going at 1000 pixels under the origins of the map. It was found before with flurrie glitch to be able to walk under rogueport without getting oob, but that was because this zone is allocated for the ultra hammer tutorials. It's probably because you need a lot of free space for those tutorials.

If you ever trigger the dead dry bones cutscene at hooktail castle while you're not with koops, it switches to him. However, that is even if you don't have him and you're stuck with him until you receive another one and he would disappear. That was actually very important for tas because it was useful there.

I found why the boat chest was disabled: we were so lucky. Only 3 triggers in the whole game are what I called, reversible trigger. These triggers for unknown reasons are never assumed to be enabled under any sequence breaking. This means that if you sequence break, you can revert the sequence back to those trigger by activating it. It's actually used not once, but twice today thanks to a glitch with Gombella found last January.

I hate zess t cutsene of his lens because you can't cross it there's no loading zone until you give it to him. Makes me having to take a detour in the sewers... I hate you zees.

I got used to rogueport sewers being my main area of global test since it runs smoother and the music is fitting. That's also why I still love that music.

Getting TTYD early is impossible, no loading zone.

It was found before that you could use gombella to skip loading zone that are zoned (not doored basically). Was useful later and made my best glitch useful.

I hate grubba cutscene too. I saw it too many times because of testing my glitch (it seems to be way too tight and I had suspicion).

Speaking of loading zones, every doored xones don't have a zone, but the interaction with the door is the trigger. Things is, it depends if the door is set to can be opened or can't.

Getting in background state on foreground is weird, you're stuck on the horizontal axis and you're smaller and flatter.

And I was done until August where my reasons got resolved. A tas just started and I know it would reveals glitch so I waited for them to finish in December and guess what? They released it for the new year occasion on December 31 2013 which is coincidently exactly a year after I got into glitch hunting.

I spent one last month last January and this time, I found the most useful stuff I wanted.

Finally found the mechanics of my glitch. You would need 7 more pixels of heigh to on the bookcase so in theory, this wouldn't be possible. However, I found that if you are at maximum 10.9 pixels away vertically from a hard corner of an object while trying to go into that corner, you will slightly clip in it and since you're so close of the top, it will eject you on the top. It works the same for every locks or small opened chest, but nothing after. You're missing 3 pixels for getting on top of small hammer block. Sounds like they knew about it. lol. I found a 0.4 seconds saves of a lock jump that is used today.

For tas, I gave the idea to try to hit both switches of hooktail entrance with hammer. A glitch that is tas only can make you go slightly faster and it was enough to being able to do it. This meant that they were able to skip getting koops. It's way too hard on console however.

Several glitches was found by mathieu w plourde which I talked with him some time and that's him who made my glitch useful because... huh... I'll explain at the end it will break your head. It used one of the reversible trigger in great tree to skip major league of ch3.

The tas did found glitches, but those were the remaining one and almost no potential was left.

The last glitch I helped to be found was a clip when you unspin from getting out of paper mode. Only works on narrow area, but now, useless. Though I was hyped.

So, that mathieu glitch now. If time travel is confusing, this is sequence travel it's even worse. If you don't understand, just assume it's magical :)

By using the Gombella trick on one map of great tree, you can skip a reversible trigger which was getting in a loading zone (I think it's you get on the log pipe early or so). So, whatever you do, it will still be disabled. You fight in ch3 to get the super hammer + yoshi and you derank sometime to prevent a cutscene from happening after. Then, you activate the reversible trigger so you're back in ch2 so you never started ch3, but since your rank is global, it's still kept. Since you got already the ticket, you can just go away back to ch3 and then you do my glitch to break the vent and beating the boss with yoshi and super hammer. It saves 10 minutes because of major league, but it also removes half of the worst rng which is a big improvement, but still not enough.

One day, I ralised there was too much impossibilities to continue. I stopped and the last thing I did was booting my console with the game and lstent the the intro music while reminding myself of all the moments I passed on this game. I will not deny it and I never will, but I cried for a good time on this melody.

My verdict on those 6 months? I was simply even more amazed to see that so much work was put into the inside of the game. I also still wanted to test again and again I was just addicted really. The best part? With how deep I got and how long I saw the same graphics and heard the same audio over and over and I still love that game. When I glitch hunted on console, I clocked my file from 2012 at 99 hours and 99 minutes and the timer is stuck here. I still have that file today, as a reminder of how much I got into it. I even got weird habits like mashing the text on my keyboards at the music rhythm. I probably spent like 500 hours? I can't even tell, but since I started, I was determined to get this game more attention. Which leads to...
[/collapse]
Today: still awesome after 10 years!

That's how I came here. I think you now understand most of my decisions and opinions on this thread now. I shared the sanctuary guardians music to tell you how it really changed me on how I could consider one game to make me so persistent and that needs serious consideration.

After a year and a half for me, and exactly 10 for life, TTYD just and deliberately refuses to get old. It will probably still refuse when I would get old because of how memorable it was. TTYD is a masterpice and I had to post this big memories to honnor it.

aldelaro5 - former glitch hunter of TTYD.

</realtalk>

I'm sorry, I'm late. I will change the tittle for one day, but this posts was way longer than I tough. I even think it's my longest without spoilers, but like I said, it's enjoyable to read for paper mario and TTYD fans. It's actually very interesting if you're interested in glitch or glitch hunting and the way I did that. It feels different to play as glitch hunter.

So, I hope that the part you will read was enjoyable. I enjoyed to type it and reminding me of all those moments.

If you think I got crazy, It's because it is, but that's not me who is crazy; that's my love for this game that is crazy.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Wow, you have a huge passion for this game! It's great to see. Glad you like my username, it took me so long to come up with one I was happy with. Thanks for the welcome too.

Ever since my Dad first brought home the Paper Mario on the N64 I've been a massive fan. I mean, in what other series are levels set in a Toy Box and the Moon. Just so many iconic levels and memories.

As for the trailer idea, it would certainly up my hype level to record levels. I'm sure they could get it to work with the Hey Gorgeous text bubble. if they have it in sync with what's going on it hopefully won't interrupt the flow or the pace of the action, I'm sure if they go with something like that, they will get it to work.

Alright now for my moveset idea. I think he will use his helpers a lot, but they'll take up different moves like Robin's tomes, rather than be interchangeable like Pokémon trainer's pokémon.

A - Bow comes out and slaps the opponent. Seeing as I believe I read somewhere that all A combos have a finisher, Bow will retract back into Mario and then he will finish off with a hammer blow. Low damage an knockback for the slaps. Medium/low damage and knockback for the hammer.

Up tilt - A simple upwards swing of the hammer over PM's head. Sort of like G&W's flag move. Medium damage, decent knockback.

Forward tilt- Jabs the hammer out a la G&W's chair attack. Decent damage and knockback but quite laggy.

Down tilt - Swings the hammer around low down. Knocks opponents up but has low damage.

Dash attack - Mario's Spin move in the original game. Kind of like Peach's dash in terms of knockback and damage but a little bit laggier when ending but a little bit faster in starting.

Up Smash - picks up Bombetter/Bobbery and holds her/him over his head. Very powerful move as starting lag is low, but if mistimed can be deadly as there is high ending lag.

Forward Smash - a charged hammer swing. Fairly powerful killer move.

Down Smash - Ground pound. Jumps slightly before crashing down to Earth. Not as powerful as other ground pounds but is harder to predict.

Neutral air - Strikes a jumping pose and his entire body becomes a hit-box, especially strong at the feet. Kind of like G&W's Parachute Melee attack, but with Paper Mario's style. Good combo finisher.

Up air - Lakilester shoots a spiny straight up. Nice short hop aerial if the opponent is on a platform. Not especially damaging, however.

Forward air - PM swings his hammer down. Meteor Smash, great kill move but has medium start lag and, if timed badly, bad landing lad.

Down air - Barry makes a spiky barrier underneath PM. Not a meteor Smash but it's fairly decent in its damage.

Grab - Thoreau is thrown out like a grapple to grab the opponent.

Grab attack - Simple hammer attack. Low damage.

Up throw - A very unique throw indeed. Parakarry picks the foe up and carries them up until the opponent either mashes out or Parakarry takes them off the top blastline. Easier to break out of at lower percentages and if used carelessly could just end up taking the opponent to safety. Deadly at high percentages though.

Forward throw - PM throws the enemy forward slightly before Watt comes out and zaps them away. Fairly powerful.

Back throw - PM throws them back and then does a golf like swing away. Lower knockback but decent damage.

Down throw - A chaingrab move. Flurrie comes out and body slams the opponent, knocking them up.

Neutral Special - Koops/Kooper is kicked away. Not especially powerful but can be used to grab items just like in the game and return them to Mario.

Forward Special - Bombette/Bobbery is sent forward to attack. Can be remotely detonated. Powerful move but high starting lag.

Down Special - A counter. Like Marth's, it does a set damage, but the damage is fairly high with this one. Vivian pulls Mario down but leaves herself open to attack. If attacked, she uses Shade Fist almost instantly. High ending lag, however, so if a foe uses a ranged weapon on Vivian, PM is stuck unable to move for a few frames.

Up Special - Spring jump. This move is charged, high vertical recovery with low horizontal gain. If overcharged, doesn't go as far as perfect, just like in the games when battling. High power if caught off the start of the move, but low if at any other point. When landing, there is high lag.

Final Smash - Tink comes out of PM's pocket and flies away, the Seven Star Spirits then appear and general everyone except PM's butt gets kicked happens.

Up Taunt - Kersti and Tippi fly out and around Mario.

Side taunt - PM adjusts his hat before looking like he is about to run off, just like he does when he wins a battle in TTYD.

Down taunt - the classic turn to the camera thumbs up from our favourite paper plumber. Can be used for tattle info on PM's stage.

Well, I think that covers just about every move he could possibly have. Thoughts?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wow, you have a huge passion for this game! It's great to see. Glad you like my username, it took me so long to come up with one I was happy with. Thanks for the welcome too.

Ever since my Dad first brought home the Paper Mario on the N64 I've been a massive fan. I mean, in what other series are levels set in a Toy Box and the Moon. Just so many iconic levels and memories.

As for the trailer idea, it would certainly up my hype level to record levels. I'm sure they could get it to work with the Hey Gorgeous text bubble. if they have it in sync with what's going on it hopefully won't interrupt the flow or the pace of the action, I'm sure if they go with something like that, they will get it to work.

Alright now for my moveset idea. I think he will use his helpers a lot, but they'll take up different moves like Robin's tomes, rather than be interchangeable like Pokémon trainer's pokémon.

A - Bow comes out and slaps the opponent. Seeing as I believe I read somewhere that all A combos have a finisher, Bow will retract back into Mario and then he will finish off with a hammer blow. Low damage an knockback for the slaps. Medium/low damage and knockback for the hammer.

Up tilt - A simple upwards swing of the hammer over PM's head. Sort of like G&W's flag move. Medium damage, decent knockback.

Forward tilt- Jabs the hammer out a la G&W's chair attack. Decent damage and knockback but quite laggy.

Down tilt - Swings the hammer around low down. Knocks opponents up but has low damage.

Dash attack - Mario's Spin move in the original game. Kind of like Peach's dash in terms of knockback and damage but a little bit laggier when ending but a little bit faster in starting.

Up Smash - picks up Bombetter/Bobbery and holds her/him over his head. Very powerful move as starting lag is low, but if mistimed can be deadly as there is high ending lag.

Forward Smash - a charged hammer swing. Fairly powerful killer move.

Down Smash - Ground pound. Jumps slightly before crashing down to Earth. Not as powerful as other ground pounds but is harder to predict.

Neutral air - Strikes a jumping pose and his entire body becomes a hit-box, especially strong at the feet. Kind of like G&W's Parachute Melee attack, but with Paper Mario's style. Good combo finisher.

Up air - Lakilester shoots a spiny straight up. Nice short hop aerial if the opponent is on a platform. Not especially damaging, however.

Forward air - PM swings his hammer down. Meteor Smash, great kill move but has medium start lag and, if timed badly, bad landing lad.

Down air - Barry makes a spiky barrier underneath PM. Not a meteor Smash but it's fairly decent in its damage.

Grab - Thoreau is thrown out like a grapple to grab the opponent.

Grab attack - Simple hammer attack. Low damage.

Up throw - A very unique throw indeed. Parakarry picks the foe up and carries them up until the opponent either mashes out or Parakarry takes them off the top blastline. Easier to break out of at lower percentages and if used carelessly could just end up taking the opponent to safety. Deadly at high percentages though.

Forward throw - PM throws the enemy forward slightly before Watt comes out and zaps them away. Fairly powerful.

Back throw - PM throws them back and then does a golf like swing away. Lower knockback but decent damage.

Down throw - A chaingrab move. Flurrie comes out and body slams the opponent, knocking them up.

Neutral Special - Koops/Kooper is kicked away. Not especially powerful but can be used to grab items just like in the game and return them to Mario.

Forward Special - Bombette/Bobbery is sent forward to attack. Can be remotely detonated. Powerful move but high starting lag.

Down Special - A counter. Like Marth's, it does a set damage, but the damage is fairly high with this one. Vivian pulls Mario down but leaves herself open to attack. If attacked, she uses Shade Fist almost instantly. High ending lag, however, so if a foe uses a ranged weapon on Vivian, PM is stuck unable to move for a few frames.

Up Special - Spring jump. This move is charged, high vertical recovery with low horizontal gain. If overcharged, doesn't go as far as perfect, just like in the games when battling. High power if caught off the start of the move, but low if at any other point. When landing, there is high lag.

Final Smash - Tink comes out of PM's pocket and flies away, the Seven Star Spirits then appear and general everyone except PM's butt gets kicked happens.

Up Taunt - Kersti and Tippi fly out and around Mario.

Side taunt - PM adjusts his hat before looking like he is about to run off, just like he does when he wins a battle in TTYD.

Down taunt - the classic turn to the camera thumbs up from our favourite paper plumber. Can be used for tattle info on PM's stage.

Well, I think that covers just about every move he could possibly have. Thoughts?
First, I added it in the OP, but you said something I need to reply.

What you just done is an INSTANCE of the potential of him. Imo, it's a very good one even if it has predetermined partner because I can at least see the versatility here and some unique ideas. Even tough I just don't think partners would be predetermined (it would be too similar to g&w, but that's just imo), I think versatility is the most important thing he needs. You could even balance just versatility with him being light or more risky in attacks that are.

But I have to strongly disagree on the following:
Well, I think that covers just about every move he could possibly have.
No. Clearly not. In fact, in just can be unimaginably way more higher. I honestly think that my set is the best example, not only it tried to be broader in repping, but also introduces gimmicks. In plural because just that is crazy potential. In fact, you didn't used the badges. Just that is a lot of moves possible. You should for now check the movesets in the OP, you really can go a lot further than this set. Someone had the idea of a a down throw where Kersti would paperize the foe. Or, I had the idea of a pummel that does like power bounce while the up throw is him using a thunder rage. I mean that's actually the main reasons the thread title, first words in the OP, my signature and basically my slogan on my support is "infinite potential" Because it's just crazy when you can push him. The secondary reasons is that it contradicts the belief of him to be a clone and I hate this belief.

I think you'll get what I mean, but you could make several different instances like this one here. They would use different moves, but will all mostly respect versatility like every in the OP does.

Since this is a full moveset, even after the core OP change it should still be there as I'll put higher priority on those so thanks for this moveset.

Shog

Smash Ace
I hope atleast Paper Mario is an alt costume and not thrown away in the sink completly. I really liked the first(?) Paper Mario for the N64,(the Gamecube one was meh especially the ending with the S.Queen fight(that was really stupid), so I might sell the Gamecube Original.)

Call me a supporter!

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
When I said "Well, I think that covers just about every move he could possibly have." I meant all the standard moves a smash character has (Up tilt, side special) and not all the moves he has potential of having. Trying to narrow down all those moves he could have into a single moveset was a real challenge. For example, his Up B could involve Parakarry or Lakilester, his Side special could involve Flurrie or be a twisted ultra hammer.

Seeing as Sakurai seems to be taking randomness (Dedede's Waddle throw is now just Gordo's) and transformations (Sheik, ZSS) I highly doubt that you'll be able to swap partners, which although more true to the series, would also make it a lot harder to program, a lot harder to learn and might be outside the capabilities of the 3DS. I went for something I would consider to be a realistic moveset.

Thanks for adding it to the OP :).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I hope atleast Paper Mario is an alt costume and not thrown away in the sink completly. I really liked the first(?) Paper Mario for the N64,(the Gamecube one was meh especially the ending with the S.Queen fight(that was really stupid), so I might sell the Gamecube Original.)

Call me a supporter!
Added!

Since you're literally the first one I heard to have such an opinion, I'm curious what did you found stupid in the fight? I just want to hear different perspective that apparently, wasn't aware of their existences.

btw, why making a whole 2d or 3d model on flatter for an alt if you could add the character? Just seems counter-intuitive and wouldn't worth the purpose of an alt: aesthetic only. It would just take too much effort for this purpose to even do it.

When I said "Well, I think that covers just about every move he could possibly have." I meant all the standard moves a smash character has (Up tilt, side special) and not all the moves he has potential of having. Trying to narrow down all those moves he could have into a single moveset was a real challenge. For example, his Up B could involve Parakarry or Lakilester, his Side special could involve Flurrie or be a twisted ultra hammer.

Seeing as Sakurai seems to be taking randomness (Dedede's Waddle throw is now just Gordo's) and transformations (Sheik, ZSS) I highly doubt that you'll be able to swap partners, which although more true to the series, would also make it a lot harder to program, a lot harder to learn and might be outside the capabilities of the 3DS. I went for something I would consider to be a realistic moveset.

Thanks for adding it to the OP :).
The thing with partner swap is that it's not the same as pokemon trainer if you think about it.

First, you don't switch the whole character. Just that is an enormous difference as partners shouldn't have a complicated hitbox, but loading a full character with his attack hitbox, that is demanding. That is literally loading a move which should be doable.

I though about transformation and Sakurai said that he wants to keep the focus one only one moveset. He never said that you couldn't have ONE switchable move. The purpose of the move alone would just to be changed depending on the situation that is still a moveset, just broader. Also, 60fps for 3ds = I don't worry for that. We're not trting to load 4 pokemon trainer which would be like 16 characters, but we're loading 4 characters that has 4 movesets + the number of switchable partners so, let's say 5. Really, it's far less demanding than one transformation. I actually think that transformation, for what they give wouldn't worth the ressources demand which would explain Sakurai's decision.

Also, customization exists, you can play there too.

For moveset, I actually think about the opposite: so many choices that you just pick the best according to how you see it and most likely, the full moveset will follow it.

But I don't worry about performance.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I dunno, I just think switching partners mid-battle is going to be no easy task. Especially in a 4 player FFA. The chances are you're gonna get hit. I tried to come up with a moveset that was balanced, unique and gave PM some obvious strengths and weaknesses as well as giving him more subtle ones.

It's certainly an interesting topic to debate though and shows just how much potential he has as a character in Smash Brothers.

Customisation for PM would probably affect his Special Moves like badges affect his moves in TTYD and Paper Mario 64. That's just how I see it functioning though.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I dunno, I just think switching partners mid-battle is going to be no easy task. Especially in a 4 player FFA. The chances are you're gonna get hit. I tried to come up with a moveset that was balanced, unique and gave PM some obvious strengths and weaknesses as well as giving him more subtle ones.

It's certainly an interesting topic to debate though and shows just how much potential he has as a character in Smash Brothers.

Customisation for PM would probably affect his Special Moves like badges affect his moves in TTYD and Paper Mario 64. That's just how I see it functioning though.
Ok, I don't have good knowledges of graphics and fighting game in general, but from what I know, it just seems very feasible.

Let's say zelda in brawl. To load the character, you would need to load their collisions boxes, animations , sounds effects, variables (like % damages), the whole class to have a character (complicated to explain, but object oriented programming works with class with their attributes and methods, So, a character class contains the interface for any character and so, would have to be loaded), model/models (some needs more with final smash), attack hitboxe... Ok, you get it.

Now, sheik in itself isn't loaded there because why would you load 2 characters if only one is in use? Pure optimisation, but it loads the instruction of unloading zelda (or maybe it's kept loaded?) to load sheik.

So, if 4 players at the same time would switch to sheik, the only thing I said above that wouldn't be loaded is the class since it doesn't change that it's a character. So, I can understand that you may expect a little lag here with how much you have to load.

But loading a moves isn't the same thing.

If you load Paper Mario as character, it would be the same thing I said above EXCEPT that you would need to load the partner model (for the sake of examples, I used Gombella as default partner for balance purposes). The thing is, you load the model that is designed to mostly appear in the background and only on stage when attacking or only on stage and not in the background. If I had the intent of doing such a thing, I would not make the model super detailed and complicated, but simple enough for the needs of it. The sounds effects really could be annexed to Paper Mario as a whole, but even then, it's not complicated to load. As for hitboxe, only one: attack hitbox. It's not really complex and it can load alone quickly enough so, 4 players switch at the same time would literally means to load the move ONLY animations, one hitboxe, some sounds effects for one move, and one model designed to be simple enough.

Do you see how it really isn't a character switch? In fact, I don't even think anyone knows how the 3DS is limited (Did Sakurai clearly mentioned the issue in loading?). If it was optimised to run smoothly WITH 3D ON to have 4 ice climbers, I don't see why 4 regular characters with a switchable move only wouldn't pass.

Customisations is yes specials only and it should stay the same. But Sakurai is consistent by NOT being consistent. It says that you would normally only get 3 variations, but mii fighter and Palutena got this concept altered for the only reasons that it would make more sense according to how Sakurai saw them.

So, it can go as far as having multiple badges that would work via an fp like system. It sounds too much, but i honestly think that Sakurai could go as far to do this. Also, partners could work here too if you don't like swapping.

And yes, you can go for pages of those debates; so many possibilities :awesome:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I actually just finished a unit on Object Oriented Programming so I know what a class is! It's come in useful!

I don't know bugger all about computer specs though so I was just going off what other people have said. I understand it's not a technical issue so much as a balance issue. If you have to flip through a whole bunch of characters to get the right one, you'd be super vulnerable, especially given PM's weight, so I really can't see that being a fair thing. That's why I assigned each character its own move. However, in a perfect world there would be an easier way of changing.

Entirely new moves for each special would be awesome for PM, as he has so many potential moves, cutting any of them seems like an injustice.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I actually just finished a unit on Object Oriented Programming so I know what a class is! It's come in useful!

I don't know bugger all about computer specs though so I was just going off what other people have said. I understand it's not a technical issue so much as a balance issue. If you have to flip through a whole bunch of characters to get the right one, you'd be super vulnerable, especially given PM's weight, so I really can't see that being a fair thing. That's why I assigned each character its own move. However, in a perfect world there would be an easier way of changing.

Entirely new moves for each special would be awesome for PM, as he has so many potential moves, cutting any of them seems like an injustice.
I have to admit, I'm good at ideas but not the implementation.

the thing is, It's sort of how I saw him. Big versatility, but needs more maintenance and attacks being quite risky is good rewards. So, I put Gombella as defualt to be the base: quickest attack with almost no lag, but weak. The thing is, you could use her right away for free so, it's balanced here.

The switch thing however, will always improve the attacks. Just that needs to be balanced by being difficult to do because... why would you improve any moves without having any drawback? That is why it's risky because if you manage to do it, not only you get a better move, but also one that is suited for what you need on that moment. Failing however would do a big lag to increase the difficulty.

I do wonder however how to implement that. I can say that the best idea I had in in my moveset, but I feel the menu would have to be quicker of access. I tough of using inputs like dpad or cstick as circular UI, but I just feel it will interrupt gameplay.

I mean, you could try to implement it for what it will give, I think it's worth to consider that.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Swapping partners would be a little difficult, but Pac-Man does something kinda similar so I think it's a possibility. Especially if the Ice Climbers return.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I dunno if you've played Project M, but you can change Samus from fire to ice with a Taunt input. Something like that could work. Quick, simple, but leaves you open.
Yeah and I loved that feature!

Heck, I'd be fine if his moveset just had his partners abilities. By that, I mean I'd be fine if, for example, his Side-Special was Kooper or Koops using their Shell Toss ability. Up-Special could be Parakarry's Air Lift ability or even Mario's Spring Jump. No switching is involved in this case.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think I'm the only one who might think that predetermined get maybe a little too close than G&W (no, 2d doesn't have to do with it).

Like, G&W summons several object from source material that attacks in different ways. I honestly feel that a predetermined partners set would be too similar to this except that you replace object by supporting characters.

I don't know, but don't you feel it gets too close of that? That's actually my main complain of it and my main reason to use switch over that. I would like however to hear opinions about it because I never got one (yeah you could do a essay about how you disagree with me and I'll read it anyway).

It doesn't have anything to do with 2d, but do you feel that from only the partners perspective which isn't the whole set that it will be different enough?

I really want to hear thoughts on this.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Just because he is in the same style of G&W, doesn't mean he will play like G&W. Take for example Luigi in Melee. He shares a lot of similar moves with Mario but playing Luigi feels absolutely nothing like playing Mario. They require completely different techniques and playstyles. This is an extreme example though. PM will NOT be a clone of G&W or even a semi-clone. Having a more rigid moveset allows better practice and for you to be able to master a character. You don't see many Zelda or Sheik mains switching mid match (unless sheik needs a buffed recovery). I'm not saying having a completely brand new character style is a bad thing, nor should it not happen for Paper Mario, however I do feel that for him to be a viable character and for him to reach his full potential, a more rigid moveset must be considered.

Just my opinion though :).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just because he is in the same style of G&W, doesn't mean he will play like G&W. Take for example Luigi in Melee. He shares a lot of similar moves with Mario but playing Luigi feels absolutely nothing like playing Mario. They require completely different techniques and playstyles. This is an extreme example though. PM will NOT be a clone of G&W or even a semi-clone. Having a more rigid moveset allows better practice and for you to be able to master a character. You don't see many Zelda or Sheik mains switching mid match (unless sheik needs a buffed recovery). I'm not saying having a completely brand new character style is a bad thing, nor should it not happen for Paper Mario, however I do feel that for him to be a viable character and for him to reach his full potential, a more rigid moveset must be considered.

Just my opinion though :).
ah, yeah I forgot about mario and luigi.

I know why transformation isn't that useful (as someone who choose the trainer ONLY because charizard, zelda ONLY for sheik and samus... now than I think about it, why it makes sense to do one super attack and having to change your whole playstyle?

But I just tough about it, partners don't just attacks, but could do other task or have an attack improved. Like koops being able to release at any time or vivian as sort of counter (yur ideas, but it's a good way of counter btw). Ms mows stealing wearing items or bobbery being a detonator.

Actually, I have to think about it because I just realised that it does goes way further than G&W. I might do another moveset if I think it's ok. Though, you could always use customisations (I keep repeating, but it sounds way to good to not be used in a different way).

Snipe

Smash Cadet
I dunno if you've played Project M, but you can change Samus from fire to ice with a Taunt input. Something like that could work. Quick, simple, but leaves you open.
Awesome idea. Not only will his thinking animation fit as a good taunt, but it would also make for a viable one at that. Also, that would leave some extra room for his special attacks, such as his neutral-B being his partners' attacks, side-B as his fire drive badge, and down-B as his superguard; all without wasting any space just to switch out partners for just one different special move.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I so had an idea for a trailer for Paper Mario that follows a comic-book, story-board artstyle...
I wanted to share it since I support...

"The trailer starts with a hectic battle scene displayed in a comic book. Mario, Link, Wario, Samus, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, let's say, but definitely Wario. Over the course of the battle, Mario is badly losing, and he hides briefly to find out the best way to win. Then, he has a thought, and the camera pans back to see the comic book sitting on the ground while that same battle takes place in the real world.

The comic book glows and levitates, and the fighters turn to see it's pages begin to fly in different directions before merging together into a mad of paper, that unfolds into Paper Mario!

Then the gameplay trailer commences."

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'll definitely have to sit down and think of a cool trailer. I can't believe I haven't done that yet.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I so had an idea for a trailer for Paper Mario that follows a comic-book, story-board artstyle...
I wanted to share it since I support...
"The trailer starts with a hectic battle scene displayed in a comic book. Mario, Link, Wario, Samus, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, let's say, but definitely Wario. Over the course of the battle, Mario is badly losing, and he hides briefly to find out the best way to win. Then, he has a thought, and the camera pans back to see the comic book sitting on the ground while that same battle takes place in the real world.

The comic book glows and levitates, and the fighters turn to see it's pages begin to fly in different directions before merging together into a mad of paper, that unfolds into Paper Mario!

Then the gameplay trailer commences."
I love this since the comic theme is how I would describe all text windows and font of the whole series (seriously even includes sticker star).

I just think it's a nice reference to that.

I really have no idea for a trailer. It can really go everywhere.

Just to update things for the OP, I'm trying to make images of characters, but since I only have separate textures, I have to use a program someone made a while ago. I just need to fix some stuff and get ready. I can tell now that it seems to progress since the last days and that I may be ready to start in 1 or 2 days. It really won't be hard to assemble the images if I have the model right next to me.

As for my movesets, I think I should just do another version and keep the with switch one. Because I still think it's doable, but without switch is enough and it does require less work. It's mainly because the partners doesn't just attack; they have attributes that makes them unique out of any summons (any assist entities which includes objects). Normally, any summons would be mostly aesthetic and does an attack as if the character physically did. Unless it's not an attack, but that's different. Like koops being remotely controlled, bobbery being detonable, ms mows stealing items, Parakary being a spike from the air (like up throw), bow being a combo in itself, etc... Just that involves the balance I want of getting high lag for really useful moves.

Though, it might be bad as I don't want that they take too much moves, but then again, most of g&w was like that. The difference here is that they don't have an unique function. That's actually the whole character btw nothing has only one use. Hammer has like 10 with badges maybe? Jumps has a lot too. I think it should focus on that because that's why he's versatile.

This is why the moveset section has to be big. There's probably hundreds of way to do a set on versatility,

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One trailer idea I had involves a grassy plain set over the Smash world, and then a paper airplane flies over the plane.

It soars over...ah, well you get the idea.

The paper airplane's obviously Paper Mario, and it lands in the battlefield and unfolds, and then the gameplay commences.
So, yeah...but I like the comic book idea better.

The best part is, it wouldn't be a dead giveaway it's Paper Mario, either.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
One trailer idea I had involves a grassy plain set over the Smash world, and then a paper airplane flies over the plane.

It soars over...ah, well you get the idea.

The paper airplane's obviously Paper Mario, and it lands in the battlefield and unfolds, and then the gameplay commences.
So, yeah...but I like the comic book idea better.

The best part is, it wouldn't be a dead giveaway it's Paper Mario, either.
That sounds like it would be better as an entrance to a Subspace Emissary style story mode than an actual trailer. It would be kinda hard to flesh that out into a really suspenseful trailer. Just what I think anyway.

Top Bottom