• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Made a Paper Mario moveset to celebrate the new stage!

Paper Mario

Weight: 1.5/5
Height: 2.5/5
Speed: 2.5/5
Jump: 3.5/5
Power: 3/5
Range: 3/5
Throw: 3.5/5

All of Paper Mario's special moves can be chained together (with proper timing) up to three times in any order, kind of like Marth's Forward B special. After using a Step 1 move, the next special will be the Step 2 move of the Special you inputted, and another input will chain into a Step 3 move.

For example, you could do any of the following combinations and more: B>-B-B^ OR Bv-B>-Bv OR B^-B^-B.

These combos would produce Watt-Barry-Airplane, Dashell-Koops-Kersti and Carrie-Parakarry-Bobbery respectively.

Neutral B – Teamwork Counter

Step 1 – Bow – Paper Mario becomes incorporeal for a split second, making him invincible to all attacks.
Step 2 – Barry – A spinning spike shield appears briefly around Paper Mario, damaging repelling enemies at close range.
Step 3 – Bobbery – Paper Mario places Admiral Bobbery on the ground, who walks forward for a 3 seconds before stopping and exploding. If someone touches Bobbery during his walk, he will immediately stop and prepare to explode. Great knockback.

Forward B – Teamwork Shot

Step 1 – Watt – Watt swoops from behind Paper Mario and flies forward, damaging any opponent he strikes once, before disappearing. Can hit multiple opponents.
Step 2 – Koops – Paper Mario fires Koops forward by jumping on him, traveling the same distance as Watt, before launching back towards Paper Mario, pulling any opponents he hits closer to him. If the player holds B when summoning Koops, he can be held in place at the furthest distance from Paper Mario and fired backwards when B is released (you cannot chain after doing this). While B is held, Paper Mario can move freely, but cannot attack until B is released. If Koops does not make contact with Paper Mario on his return trip, he will continue moving in the same direction until he goes off screen.
Step 3 – Thoreau – Paper Mario shoots Thoreau forward, grabbing one opponent and returning him to Paper Mario. This is a long-distance grab attack that can connect in mid-air, but it cannot be used as a tether.

Up B – Teamwork Boost

Step 1 – Carrie – Carrie appears beneath Paper Mario's feet, and Mario jumps a short distance off of her. Touching Carrie damages enemies.
Step 2 – Parakarry – Parakarry appears and lifts Paper Mario a short distance into the air. Parakarry's flapping wings can damage enemies.
Step 3 – Airplane – Paper Mario folds into an airplane and flies forward with a slow descent. While in this form, Paper Mario can angle his trajectory somewhat, similarly to Brawl's glide mechanics. Flying into enemies does continuous, minor damage and knockback.

Down B – Teamwork Power-Up

Step 1 – Dashell – Dashell flies around Paper Mario, spinning his body, giving him a speed boost for 7 seconds.
Step 2 – Goombella – Goombella kisses Paper Mario, reducing all damage taken by 1% for 6 seconds. If Paper Mario is hit by any attack that only does 1%, he takes no knockback from the attack.
Step 3 – Kersti – Kersti flies around Paper Mario, boosting all damage done by Paper Mario by 2% for 5 seconds.

Jab – Paper Punch – Paper Mario punches with his right hand.
Jab Combo – Paper Kick – Paper Mario punches with his left hand and then kicks.
Dash A – Paper Tube – Paper Mario rolls into a tube and hits the enemy. Hits low to the ground.

Forward Tilt – Spin Smash – Paper Mario swings his hammer in front of him like a baseball bat.
Up Tilt – Head Rattle – Paper Mario lifts his hammer up into the air and spins it for multiple hits.
Down Tilt – Quake Hammer – Paper Mario hits the ground with his hammer. Hits anyone standing on the ground within a limited radius of Mario for minor damage.

(All of Paper Mario's Smash attacks also make the wind-up noises the Hammer makes in PM64 and TTYD when charged. If the attack is released with the correct timing, the attack does its maximum damage and knockback. If the attack is released after, or the attack releases on its own, it will only do the damage and knockback of an uncharged Smash.)

Forward Smash – Hammer Smash – Paper Mario raises his hammer above his head and slams it into the ground.
Up Smash – Spring Jump – Paper Mario compresses his body before springing up with an raised fist. Paper Mario jumps higher the longer he charges the attack.
Down Smash – Super Hammer Spin – Paper Mario holds his hammer like a baseball bat, before swinging and spinning in place, hitting both in front and behind him.

Neutral Aerial – Star Spirit Spin – Paper Mario spins in place, showing off his paper-thin . Little stars fly out on contact.
Forward Aerial – Sticker Star Strike – Paper Mario kicks forward with his foot. Glitter flies out on contact.
Back Aerial – Pure Heart Punch – Paper Mario swings his hand backwards. Little hearts fly out on contact.
Up Aerial – Crystal Star Crash – Paper Mario raises his first above his head. Sparkles fly out on contact.
Down Aerial – Super Stomp – Paper Mario does a quick spin in midair, doing minimal damage, then ground-pounds. If it hits, Paper Mario bounces off the opponent. Meteor Smash.

Ground Attack – Origami – Paper Mario folds himself around until he is standing upright.
Ledge Attack – Fold Over – Paper Mario folds himself upwards and then back onto the stage.

Grab – Paper Clip – Paper Mario grabs his opponent with one hand.
Grab Combo – Paper Cut – Paper Mario strikes his opponent with his free hand.
Forward Throw – Paper Spin – Paper Mario spins into his opponent a short distance before launching him.
Back Throw – Paper Flip – Paper Mario spins around a few times before tossing his opponent in the other direction.
Up Throw – Paper Shredder – Paper Mario spins in place, sucking his opponent in, before launching them straight up.
Down Throw – Paper Flatten – Paper Mario throws his opponent on the ground, then rolls over them as a paper tube.
Down Throw (midair) – Paper Crane – Paper Mario bounces off his opponent's head, launching them downwards.

Up Taunt – Paper Mario waves his hands above his head, like when using the Appeal command in TTYD.
Down Taunt – Paper Mario gets on one knee and prays, as sparkles fly upwards around him.
Side Taunt – Paper Mario raises his hands above his head, as either the Star Spirits, Crystal Stars, Pure Hearts or Royal Stickers circle around him before disappearing.

Victory Pose A – Paper Mario gives a double-thumbs up with one hand, then the other.
Victory Pose B – Paper Mario waves with both hands as the spotlight shines on him, with an invisible audience throwing him coins and flowers.
Victory Pose C – Paper Mario does a little dance like the ones the Pixls do whenever you get a Pure Heart in Super Paper Mario.

Costumes – Mario colors, Luigi colors, Wario colors, Waluigi colors, Light Blue hat with Blue overalls, Fire Mario colors.

Entrance – A paper airplane flies into the stage and lands nose-first before unfolding into Paper Mario.

Idle Animation – Paper Mario will drink a Honey Syrup, check his e-mail on his Mailbox SP, or start snoring with a snot bubble forming.

(Still thinking of a Final Smash.)
:surprised: Wow, it probably toke a lot effort for you to set that post up, did it? Because it's looking good! :grin:

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I have an idea:
So, let's pretend Paper Mario receives a stage(which he should if he becomes playable). What if Paper Mario could use Goombella's Tattle Log ability on the other Smash characters? I think it would be neat to hear other people's created tattles. Here's one I thought up:

to

Goombella:
That's Sonic the Hedgehog, his ATTACK and DEFENSE aren't really high but he makes that up with his incredible SPEED! However, if he collects all the Chaos Emeralds, He can transform into a stronger form called, "Super Sonic." While in this form, his ATTACK, DEFENSE, and SPEED go off the charts! Yikes!

I've studied diamonds and all kinds of other gems while attending University of Goom, but I've never seen anything like the Chaos Emeralds! We should totally look for some in the near future!
So yeah, post your ideas as I think this could be very fun!
She already well aware of Sonic after all he did go to the Mushroom Kingdom and teamed up with Mario to get the chaos emeralds before Mecha Sonic got them lol. (If any of you get this reference you deserve a cookie) btw can you do one for Solid Snake and Olimar?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
She already well aware of Sonic after all he did go to the Mushroom Kingdom and teamed up with Mario to get the chaos emeralds before Mecha Sonic got them lol. (If any of you get this reference you deserve a cookie)
Oh I do alright! :)
btw can you do one for Solid Snake and Olimar?
Sure, I'll start thinking of some ideas for the two tomorrow!

Snipe

Smash Cadet

This is how I would imagine the theater stage to look like for the Wii U (Ignore the transparent tomb. I got lazy).

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This is how I would imagine the theater stage to look like for the wii U (Ignore the transparent tomb. I got lazy).
I really wonder what appearance the stage will have. The wooden is probably the most well known, but the superstar (or maximum ranking idk the names) one looks good.

Actually, what do you think it will look like? I'm ok with anything, but I tend to like more the superstar than the wooden one.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

"A new stage, Mario Galaxy!! The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet, so this will require using brand-new tactics."

11-15-2013

"You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."

1-29-2014

There is precedence for such a scenario.
You missed one

8-20-2013

Pic of the day. Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
She already well aware of Sonic after all he did go to the Mushroom Kingdom and teamed up with Mario to get the chaos emeralds before Mecha Sonic got them lol. (If any of you get this reference you deserve a cookie) btw can you do one for Solid Snake and Olimar?
omg I know that reference and love you for making it

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Is that a Super Mario Bros Z reference??

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029

This is how I would imagine the theater stage to look like for the Wii U (Ignore the transparent tomb. I got lazy).
Whoa...you just made me realize the possibility of the stage getting a boss hazard. *shivers*
Well, I guess if it wouldn't be as active as the one on Wily's Castle, I'd be fine with it.

D

Deleted member

I'm so happy with Paper Mario representation! It's about time. :bee:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Okay so picture this.

All Paper Marios Custom Moves are all his partners. Each of them gets a custom move represented! With each special move being able to be customized to up to 3 different ones, this means 12 partners could be shown!

+1 for Alax ;)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Whoa...you just made me realize the possibility of the stage getting a boss hazard. *shivers*
Well, I guess if it wouldn't be as active as the one on Wily's Castle, I'd be fine with it.
Well, my OP does mention it, but it really can go crazy.

Rawk Hawk or Cortez as hazard anyone?

Btw, Cortez is badass even in T pose:

I now wonder how much work they did to animate this.

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
Okay so picture this.

All Paper Marios Custom Moves are all his partners. Each of them gets a custom move represented! With each special move being able to be customized to up to 3 different ones, this means 12 partners could be shown!

+1 for Alax ;)
This is exactly what I was thinking! (love your videos by the way)

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Given that this stage seems like a General Paper Mario stage, what if it's on both versions?

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I'd love for a glitz pit stage, it can have the light fixture mechanic from the boxing ring stage, and the flatness of flat zone. With rawk hawk as the boss of course.
I'm giving paper Mario my +1

Edit: rank switched to rawk
I hate auto correct sometimes

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think i'll have a go at coming up with a moveset for PM originally i had the partner swapping idea that a few of us had but with custom moves it seems less likely, anyway:

jab: slaps foes with slipper
strong side: hammer strike
strong up:
strong down:

side smash: spin hammer
up smash: minature spring jump
down smash: ground pound
dash attack: dash attack from dashel

neutral air: spins hammer around once
forward air: throws sumbrero
back air: throws wrench
up air: spins around similar to tornado jump
down air: throws snow ball

grab: throua (surprise surprise)
pummel: smacks with bone
forward throw: yoshi swallows then spits them up
back throw: throws them into a bomb left by bobbery
up throw: get thrown up by jet of water from sushie
down throw: flurries pounds foes

neutral special: barry, works as a close range temporary shield that damages foes (like nyaru's love)
side special: shell shot, shoots koops across the stage and he returns to mario
down special: veil, vivian pulls mario into the shadows allowing him to doge moves
up special: parrykarry, mario is lifted up by the mailman

final smash: show stopper, massive crystal stars come bursting through the stage at random places

and of course on his stage he can use smash taunt where either goombario, goombella or tippi will tattle on opponents

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
i think i'll have a go at coming up with a moveset for PM originally i had the partner swapping idea that a few of us had but with custom moves it seems less likely, anyway:

jab: slaps foes with slipper
strong side: hammer strike
strong up:
strong down:

side smash: spin hammer
up smash: minature spring jump
down smash: ground pound
dash attack: dash attack from dashel

neutral air: spins hammer around once
forward air: throws sumbrero
back air: throws wrench
up air: spins around similar to tornado jump
down air: throws snow ball

grab: throua (surprise surprise)
pummel: smacks with bone
forward throw: yoshi swallows then spits them up
back throw: throws them into a bomb left by bobbery
up throw: get thrown up by jet of water from sushie
down throw: flurries pounds foes

neutral special: barry, works as a close range temporary shield that damages foes (like nyaru's love)
side special: shell shot, shoots koops across the stage and he returns to mario
down special: veil, vivian pulls mario into the shadows allowing him to doge moves
up special: parrykarry, mario is lifted up by the mailman

final smash: show stopper, massive crystal stars come bursting through the stage at random places

and of course on his stage he can use smash taunt where either goombario, goombella or tippi will tattle on opponents
It's a good one, but if you had one with swap, you could send both version. I actually have to do one without them since I realised that even without swap, it feels very different. Tough, for now, this one will be in the OP anyway.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's a good one, but if you had one with swap, you could send both version. I actually have to do one without them since I realised that even without swap, it feels very different. Tough, for now, this one will be in the OP anyway.
thank you, though for now im just gonna leave it as just the one move set, though i have considered making one based on the things from sticker star

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Which boss characters would you all like to see as a stage hazard?
Personally, I'm hoping to see Cortez attacking the S.S. Flavio!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ok then.

I just started a playtrough on TTYD. I named the file "TTYD4SSB" for the occasion. Let's see if I'll have trouble on shadow queen :)

Which boss characters would you all like to see as a stage hazard?
Personally, I'm hoping to see Cortez attacking the S.S. Flavio!
Cortez or Rawk Hawk and if the theme is included, Magnus.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Hmm. After reading previous posts and thinking things over, I do believe this bodes well for Mario's flat counterpart. There has never been a stage for any Mario RPG spin-off series until now, and given that it's the Paper franchise to get the honor instead of M&L, then I'd say that's pretty significant.

However, I warn that we mustn't jump the gun too eagerly, for there has already been past examples of stages clearly pointing to specific representation only for nothing of the related sort to show up (see Animal Crossing in Brawl).

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
Lava Piranha and Koopa Bros. were always my favorite boss. Though, it looks like they aren't going to represent anything from Paper Mario 64, or Super Paper Mario.

Nyyaaaaaaah!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Lava Piranha and Koopa Bros. were always my favorite boss. Though, it looks like they aren't going to represent anything from Paper Mario 64, or Super Paper Mario.

Nyyaaaaaaah!
Really? What gave you that impression? How many transforming stages have only had two forms?

I think we're getting at least once scene from each game.

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
That's true. I didn't think about the other forms of the stage.

One or more from each of the games sounds perfect.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
To celebrate my newfound confidence in Paper Mario, I have changed my avatar for the first time ever.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
To celebrate my newfound confidence in Paper Mario, I have changed my avatar for the first time ever.
I'll actually only change mine temporarily if he's confirmed. Mine is so weird that only this will worth a change :)

Hmm. After reading previous posts and thinking things over, I do believe this bodes well for Mario's flat counterpart. There has never been a stage for any Mario RPG spin-off series until now, and given that it's the Paper franchise to get the honor instead of M&L, then I'd say that's pretty significant.

However, I warn that we mustn't jump the gun too eagerly, for there has already been past examples of stages clearly pointing to specific representation only for nothing of the related sort to show up (see Animal Crossing in Brawl).
This case would actually be good. Because it would mean he was considered.

It's just the numbers. Most of the stages repped something and this in brawl not only is one of the few exception, but it was also founded.

At this point anyway, I can't be disappointed since the stage reveal. So, I hope he's in, but won't complain if he's not it.

I like this because it grants me safe speculation. I could say anything and I could be 100% wrong and still not be disappointed. That's why I loved that reveal.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
At first I was a bit worried that this Paper Mario stage reveal meant that he would be less likely as a character because most characters get revealed along with their stages. People were quick to point out that I was blatantly wrong, with examples like Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin/Lucina, Greninja, and Palutena. I didn't think that through. Anyways, I feel that this actually increases Paper Mario's chances greatly, because a Paper Mario stage on the 3ds means 2 Paper Mario songs. I'm assuming that we'll get one for the WiiU version as well, meaning a good 7-12 songs. I think the WiiU Paper Mario stage could maybe be revealed along with the character, which is why the 3ds stage was revealed beforehand. As for other possible reasons for him being playable is this: I believe that I recall Sakurai saying somewhere that playable characters should compliment other fighters. He somewhat compliments Game and Watch being another 2d-ish character, and also REALLY compliments Toon Link. TOON Link, PAPER Mario anyone? 2 forms of Link could mean 2 forms of Mario, right? Sorry if I ended up parrot-ing anyone, I haven't been able to read every post on this thread. All I know is that I want him in. A LOT.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If you haven't rated Paper Mario today, I'd suggest checking out the RTCD Thread! I think it will be ending soon.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If you haven't rated Paper Mario today, I'd suggest checking out the RTCD Thread! I think it will be ending soon.
I tough I would do it, but after not even checking one full pages, this thread haven't changed.

How can my rate be worthy if not just him, but pretty much everyone gets negative? I honestly don't know why there's more negativity here. That and also I hate arbitrary numbers especially for chances. I better use words which could be ambiguous, but numbers are some time not broad enough even tough they are clear. Chances are better described by words unless it's obvious by numbers (saying almost confirmed is like saying 99% for me).

In fact, you'd be disappointed if you check the thread. What I don't like is that it's like this most of the time.

EDIT: @ MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 , First post? Welcome to smashboards! I feel the same about the WiiU stage, but what tells me it's Paper Mario rep is that he used a wording that is the same when he hyped the menu pic. It's like he did that for the menu because we haven't seen it since the beginning and it was anyway about to happen at one point. But why this wording on the stage? It's like, why hyping this fact? It's either redundant or intentional to make sure we would be aware of it. It could suggest that seeing a stage was about to happen at one point.

I know it's subjective, but considering Ridley, you don't know how far he can go in teasing.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I tough I would do it, but after not even checking one full pages, this thread haven't changed.

How can my rate be worthy if not just him, but pretty much everyone gets negative? I honestly don't know why there's more negativity here. That and also I hate arbitrary numbers especially for chances. I better use words which could be ambiguous, but numbers are some time not broad enough even tough they are clear. Chances are better described by words unless it's obvious by numbers (saying almost confirmed is like saying 99% for me).

In fact, you'd be disappointed if you check the thread. What I don't like is that it's like this most of the time.
I agree, it's a sad place to be. But the only way Paper Mario could receive some positive remarks is if his supporters share their opinions.

Last edited:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I read the title as Hitler Tither hill.... *cough* my bad...

Add me as Paper Mario support. Been wanting him since the Pre-Brawl days and he's still in my most wanted list.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Here are a few more tattle logs for Goombella!

Charizard
:4charizard:
Charizard's Tattle Log:
"Woah! That's Charizard! THE COOLEST FIRE TYPE POKEMON EVER!...Sorry.
It has a super weird mix of heavy weight and surprising speed on the ground while having a similar weird mix of hard-hitting and quick attacks! Also watch out for his Mega Evolution! He turns into a Fire/Dragon Type!
You know what? Why don't you try playing cricket sounds when it- oh wait...sorry it reminded me of another dragon we fought before...actually several dragons we fought before."

Yoshi
:4yoshi:
Yoshi's Tattle Log:
"Hey! Is that our little Yoshi we hatched in Glitzville?!...Oh I don't think he is our Yoshi...awkward...
This Yoshi has an average weight and possesses similar Flutter Jump, Egg Throw, and Gulp Attacks. When he gets the Smash Ball he...TURNS INTO A DRAGON?! How can something soooooo cute be super terrifying?!
Ugh I hate these kinds of surprises! Sorta like the time we were tricked into- whoops! Don't want to spoil anything for these nice players out there!...Whaddya mean you don't know who I'm talking to?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Here are a few more tattle logs for Goombella!

Charizard
:4charizard:
Charizard's Tattle Log:
"Woah! That's Charizard! THE COOLEST FIRE TYPE POKEMON EVER!...Sorry.
It has a super weird mix of heavy weight and surprising speed on the ground while having a similar weird mix of hard-hitting and quick attacks! Also watch out for his Mega Evolution! He turns into a Fire/Dragon Type!
You know what? Why don't you try playing cricket sounds when it- oh wait...sorry it reminded me of another dragon we fought before...actually several dragons we fought before."

Yoshi
:4yoshi:
Yoshi's Tattle Log:
"Hey! Is that our little Yoshi we hatched in Glitzville?!...Oh I don't think he is our Yoshi...awkward...
This Yoshi has an average weight and possesses similar Flutter Jump, Egg Throw, and Gulp Attacks. When he gets the Smash Ball he...TURNS INTO A DRAGON?! How can something soooooo cute be super terrifying?!
Ugh I hate these kinds of surprises! Sorta like the time we were tricked into- whoops! Don't want to spoil anything for these nice players out there!...Whaddya mean you don't know who I'm talking to?
You just hyped me to get those codecs.

Seriously, those 4th wall jokes :rotfl:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
can i just point out
that it's S.S. Flavio
and not S.S. flavion
boom-bassa-boom.