• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You were talking about it although it was already confirmed at first

Incidentally @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 can get added to the support list (could of sworn I declared my support a while back)
I added you, but because this thread will have new people, I guess I need to explain why you weren't added like others.

I checked the first pages and I was surprised by who showed their support for him. The problem is as soon as Rosalina got confirmed, I saw a decrease of interests. When I revived the thread on April 20, that's when I started to count supporters because I knew that there shouldn't be any errors. Turns out that I did update the list very badly, but I fixed it after a while.

So, if you posted while I was posting here, but not when I was the OP, it's probably why I haven't added you. The thread was dying since a month when I revived it so opinions could changes.

Which leads to, if you are one of those, tell me if you want to still support. It would be overkill to ask anyway (even post history doesn't really tell the truth).
One thing instantly came to mind when I saw this morning's PotD.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 is gonna have a field day.
Implying it wasn't obvious. Because I said it multiple time that it would happen, but happening is another thing...

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Kinda thought of a cool little Smash Taunt for Paper Mario.

He has partners in every game that tattle for him, i.e. give him information about enemies, right? There's Goombario, Goombella, Tippi, Tiptron, and Kersti. Now they could appear and maybe stand in the background or just leap into the onscreen speech bubble and give a "tattle" on an opponent onscreen. This would be in the same nature as Snake's codecs.

Keep in mind I'm using all Brawl characters plus SSB4 newcomers sans Snake, Squirtle, and Ivysaur.

Goombario would give tattles for all protagonists, rivals, and villains who first appeared in a game prior to the release of Paper Mario. That would include Mario, Peach, Bowser, DK, Wario, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Samus, Pit, Palutena, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Fox, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Mr. Game & Watch.

Goombella would give tattles for all characters who debuted after Paper Mario's release but prior to Thousand-Year Door's release, and sidekicks/partners debuting prior to Thousand-Year Door's release, as well as all characters made by HAL, Game Freak, and Intelligent Systems prior to Thousand-Year Door's release. This would include Luigi, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Falco, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Charizard, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and Marth.

Tippi would give tattles for characters first appearing after Thousand-Year Door's release, but prior to Super Paper Mario's release. These characters would include Lucario, Lucas, Ike and Mii Fighters (Miis at heart, obviously).

Tiptron would give tattles for all characters debuting after Super Paper Mario's release. These would include Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Lucina, and Robin.

Kersti would give tattles for all characters who are third party, which obviously includes Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac Man.

That gives Goombario 19 tattles, Goombella 16, Tippi 4, Tiptron 5, and Kersti 3.

Oh and if Paper Mario's tattling another Paper Mario, then Professor Frankly will do the deed.

I gave the whacko conditions for who Goombella tattles because I didn't want Goombario to do all of them...

So yeah, I think that would work pretty well.

Last edited:

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
I'm going to play devil's advocate.

If Paper Mario is going to be a playable character, why wouldn't Sakurai just reveal his stages with the character during the reveal?

Yes, Palutena, Little Mac, and Rosalina were revealed after the stages, but their stages were not revealed through Pics like this one. Weren't they shown generally at the same time dyring a direct? Sakurai probably needed to create a lot of hype with the loads of info. he gave during the direct, making him have to show off new stages without revealing too much (the actual characters).

Sakurai is known to always lead everyone on with his pic of the days (ridley, rayman, etc.) only to reveal something completely different.

Revealing Paper Mario stage then showing that Paper Mario is indeed a character is something I imagine Sakurai would not do. He will try to leave people completely clueless about what's coming.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Everyone was aware of the Boxing Ring long before Little Mac's reveal. Sakurai also talked about Arena Ferox prior to Robin and Lucina's reveals. He went into detail about the Mario Galaxy stage a month prior to Rosalina's reveal.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Why the hell is my name not on the supporters list?

Everyone was aware of the Boxing Ring long before Little Mac's reveal. Sakurai also talked about Arena Ferox prior to Robin and Lucina's reveals. He went into detail about the Mario Galaxy stage a month prior to Rosalina's reveal.
And Pyrosphere before Ridley.:troll:

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yes, Palutena, Little Mac, and Rosalina were revealed after the stages, but their stages were not revealed through Pics like this one. Weren't they shown generally at the same time dyring a direct? Sakurai probably needed to create a lot of hype with the loads of info. he gave during the direct, making him have to show off new stages without revealing too much (the actual characters).

"A new stage, Mario Galaxy!! The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet, so this will require using brand-new tactics."

11-15-2013

"You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."

1-29-2014

There is precedence for such a scenario.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Previously I tought he was just a dream that would never come true, but now I have hope for Paper Mario. What music do you guys think will play in the Paper Mario stage? I think this one fits really well:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Seeing that this stage is a conglomeration of the four Paper Marios, and that the stage is using 2 songs, Melee-style, a medley is an obvious possibility.

An arrangement of March Ahead, Rougeport/Petal Meadows, Lineland Road, and Blue Skies, White Clouds together would be fantastic.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'd love a medley of all the normal battle themes:

Super Paper Mario doesn't have one due to it not being in the same format as the others so the following will do, especially if it is used to compliment the whole track to give it more of an epic fight feel:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
OK, I'm now ready to do this essay. I just want to mention that I realised that it's highly subjective, but it's not a 50/50. What this means is that you could either think it changed nothing or helped. I didn't find any evidences pointing towards a decrease. This will be detailed, but I mostly think that it helped with a minor possibility of not changing.

Also, I'm doing an essay to not tell everything in small posts, but in a big one. It helps since if you entirely disagree, I have no reason to argue because I would've said anything I wanted to.

So, let me put the mandatory music:

Paper Mario's chance after July 29 2014

< realtalk >

On July 29 2014, Sakurai revealed a Paper Mario stage via his usual picture of the day (aka, POTD). For reference, I will put the pictures and captions here since it's so far the only evidences available that confirms the existence of the stage:

Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage! It's made of paper, so strong winds will blow it away.
Then, he released a second pictures some times after:

Since the stage is paper, it transforms when it folds over and opens up again. This ship is the S.S. Flavion from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.
Source: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAADMUKl5xngkHw

Now, it does confirms that the series will get at least a stage as a rep, but showing the stage now lead to a more important question...

Does that means that Paper Mario has more chances to be playable?

If you view the reveal in itself, it would help him. That's because most of the stages so far have at least 1 character that is specifically related to it is playable. There's some exceptions, but they all seem to have a motive behind. In brawl, smashville was one of them because the villager was actually planned and that, is common knowledge.
"In fact, we had previously removed the villager from Super Smash Bros. Brawl in the planning stages because he wasn't suited for battle."
Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/26/44...es-mega-man-smash-bros-s-other-new-characters

There was also hanenbrew and pictochat, but here, the former didn't have any candidates and the latter was to represent a console application which does the same.

In SSB4, we have balloon fight and the living room. The former would have to be a balloon fighter which wouldn't really fight without his balloon and that could cause problems. As for the latter, well, it's true that it was repped by an assist trophy, but honestly, It's more to represent another way of gaming that the nintendogs series does.

This of course excludes battlefield and final destination as those are meant to be global. The exceptions though are more meant to represent something globally. If Sakurai judged that including balloon fighter wouldn't make any sense, but still wanted to represent the game, a stage could have been the best option here.

But if you count out of all stages, that's a really low number. Everything else was meant to represent something related to at least 1 playable character. In this case, a Paper Mario stage could hint at him being playable because of this, but it's not the only possibility.

Remember that the Paper Mario series is a BRANCH of the main Mario one. Because of this, it could be considered that all 4 Paper Mario games are globally mario games. It could mean the same for the stage as it could just represent mario which is already included and if it was the case, it wouldn't change that much Paper Mario's chances.

However, the captions tells imo otherwise. At least more Paper Mario related than Mario in general. The key sentence here is the following:

For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, here's a Paper Mario stage!
It might sounds trivial, but this sentences tells me 2 things. The first is that he didn't mention "Paper Mario" as the character, but as a stage. It's proven even further by this stage repping at least 2 games out of 4. So, it's more considered as a general Paper Mario stage than the actual character. It doesn't really affects him because in no way it tells me what playable character this stage would rep.

But the second thing is the most interesting one. He said "For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros series" to then follow up immediately after to the reveal. The words itself seems insignificant in itself, but I heard the EXACT wording last Friday on his POTD. He showed the menu and the caption was:

Pic of the day. For the first time ever, I present to you…the main menu for the 3DS version!!
Source: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKl5HASABg

Why using the same wording for something that aren't even related? I know it can be interpreted in different ways and it's subjective, but I think he used this wording as an hype for the menu. We haven't seen the menu since the beginning so I guess it was appropriate to hype it.

But why on the stage? It's like we know we would see at some point the menu, but the stage was totally unexpected to see. His wording was like referring getting a Paper Mario one for the first time as "overdue and was about to be done at one point". I may go a bit too far, but in this case, why not just saying "Here's a Paper Mario stage!"? What I think I'm sure is that he wants to hype this fact, but why exactly?

It's like he would welcome this new repping more than it should. I know it's something that is asked a bit, but to hype the stage like this really is weird. He wanted so that we are aware about this fact, I just question why because it might think there's more.

Also, I don't think that it would end with only this stage despite being ok with just this one. I know it repped TTYD, but the problem I see is that it STARTS on sticker star which is the handheld game. I seem to find "something fishy" about only repping TTYD in the 3ds while the WiiU would get none. It's like sort of general repping, but not really on the right system.

For example, I have to say it, but this stage does NOT obsolete the theatre. If you would include this stage AND the theatre on WiiU, the theatre would be included for a different purpose and would rep even more. In fact, it wouldn't obsolete any stages on WiiU because why exactly putting one stage on 3ds ONLY while 3 of the 4 games were released and made for home console? I really found this a little weird and that's why it might get one on WiiU, but if it's the case... would he NOT talk about it?

It's far-fetched, I know, but would the reveal of this stage be a teaser to then revealing the full deal after? Sakurai did this for the Palutena's temple and the boxing ring already and it wasn't clear that it was a tease (except Palutena in the direct tough). The pattern of Sakurai's teasing is always the same: partial reveal, wait, full reveal. I agree that he did fully revealed the stage, but what if the partial case was the series in global? He would have revealed the stage while hyping it for a wording that I personally question the purpose to then make us wait a while and to finally reveal him.

I see this as a possibility, but the wording is really what makes me think it's more to rep Paper Mario than Mario. If what I said is accurate, he would hide another stage on WiiU which I think is pretty possible. But while doing this, he would have t hype the already revealed stage which he did by using the same wording when he talked about the menu for the first time. It's kinda annoying to interpret, but it could have mean like the menu that it was "bound to happen". And with the reveal directly after, I think it has a high chance to be related to Paper Mario while the other possibility is possible too.

Which is why I'm going to be safe, but positive on my verdict:

I think Paper Mario is [quite likely] playable in Super Smash Bros 4 for 3ds and WiiU.

< /realtalk >

There you go. I may have typed too quick, but that's a pretty good idea of what I think. Feel free to review it.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'd like to think the time of day will change with each transition. No reason to have S.S. Flavio depicted at sunset when you never see it in sunset ingame.

Hither-Tither Hill during the day, S.S. Flavio during sunset, Shooting Star Summit during the evening, Wedding Chapel/Grambi's Temple at sunrise. #PlzSakurai

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I support! I support!

Paper Mario has the flavor, mechanics, and game-play all lined up.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
This is fantastic news. I have high hopes for paper mario.
I'm sure somebody has stated this somewhere but I'm suspecting Mr.Game&Watch was withheld from formally being welcomed back so he could debut in Paper Mario's reveal. I imagine having both 2D fighters in the same trailer would be too great of an opportunity to pass up.

Last edited:

Snipe

Smash Cadet
If there is going to be a Paper Mario stage for the Wii U (theater), this music should slowly transition in when the stage switiches to the Palace of Shadow and the boss appears.
In fact, they should do this with other stages also to have players feel a sense of alert when in an event of a boss battle. For example, if you guys have ever played Kirby Air Ride, the music during city trial changes when a meteor shower or a boss appears suddenly in the middle of the city.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just came back. Unfortunately, I can't play TTYD tonight, but I may in a couple days.

Let me just some time to check the posts because I missed a lot. Tomorrow is when I'll analyse the stage.

Seriously tough, did anyone found weird that wording being similar when he showed the menu? Because I honestly think a WiiU stage really has good chances, but how it will be revealed is the question.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Nice work! In response to it, I feel the need to add a few things.
-Prism Tower was revealed before Greninja's reveal, right? About a week or two before. That was a 3DS stage, and when he was revealed, we got an X and Y stage for the Wii U. If Paper Mario hopefully makes it into the roster, this can be a repeat of that.
-It's, as you said, still very possible those two representations of the stage are not the only ones. He could just be showing two of four, or something.
-It definitely could be a repeat of the Palutena-Little Mac pattern. Although normally one would think a surprise would be ruined if he mentions the newcomer's name, it seems to be sorta the intention of just naming the series, ya'know? Like, "the Paper Mario" series, not the character. If he mentioned his name, it'd probably be used in a different context, which would possibly spoil it. It could slightly relate to Palutena, in which Sakurai did not mention her name specifically, but was fine letting the stage get shown in the April Direct with her name in it (I'm probably going too far, though).

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118

"A new stage, Mario Galaxy!! The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet, so this will require using brand-new tactics."

11-15-2013

"You can find this statue of the Goddess of Light in one of the stages. She's watching over the arena."

1-29-2014

There is precedence for such a scenario.

I'll still expect the worst! We are almost a month away from the game. Those stages revealed were revealed way before the character. I just don't think that Sakurai would release Paper Mario stage and then show Paper Mario as a playable a week or two later. I imagine that he would have just saved the stage to be revealed during the trailer if that's the case.

Not to mention that Galaxy stage, Boxing Stage, and Palutena's temple already have reps for their respective franchises. Sakurai could have released these stages because people could be relating those stages to Mario, random smash stage (wasn't revealed to be little mac themed until little mac's reveal), and Pit. Basically, someone from the franchise's stage was already a revealed (Rosalina and Palutena were secondary characters).

It's wayy harder to guess that we will be getting extra characters in those franchises because of that. However, a Paper Mario stage makes it too obvious for Sakurai. Too obvious!

Last edited:

Peterawr

Smash Cadet
Watch him pull some other random character from the Paper Mario series instead of Paper Mario.

Either way, I'm glad for some representation from the series. It's about damn time.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace

I'd like to post this song...because it kicks everyone's buttocks. Even if you don't feel it, it still kicked it.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Watch him pull some other random character from the Paper Mario series instead of Paper Mario.
"Pic of the Day. At long last, Professor Frankly has joined the battle! Look forward to using him at release. He does not ever fight in the original game, but he can attack with text bubbles!"

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Those ost... Really they are all good. I guess I have to tell my favourite from TTYD them :

3: Tittle screen: 3 and 2 are so close they might be equal, but this one was impressive when you boot the game for the first time. Honestly, that is probably the fastest way to make a 30 hours? game sounds awesome. In the tittle screen BEFORE YOU CREATE YOUR FILE! you are greeted with this music that is so catchy I literally danced in my chair the first time. You do not expect to have such a music so early. Honestly, I feel like TTYD follows a thing with "no crying until the end" by just keep you playing. This music instantly want you to create a file.

It's the only music that came close to menu 1 in ssbm which is a big part of my foundation.

2: Shadow queen final battle: One of (or the?) the most complete boss battle music I've heard. You really go trough like maybe 5 stage of immersion and each of them just clearly tells the atmosphere. So much that this is one of those tracks that you could listen on a computer and it would feel like in the game. Music that speaks themselves are usually the best.

But you should be aware of my best and this is probably my best of all games:

1: We believe in you mario: Can I even describe it? Other than using the words "perfection", it's just too beautiful. From someone who is really persistent (my support here is a good example), this music is the best encouragement one I've heard. You go trough a progression with up and down, but you still feel progression. It's why I keep posting it for hype purposes because you bet that I may sing it if he's confirmed. The cutscene associated with it is the reason you played TTYD: never forget.

For PM64, a lot of cool one like the one in the prologue overworld, tubba tubba (ah why I can never remember his name?), maybe crystal king (I'm just one of those guys that didn't get the awesomeness of the song, but it's great at least). But the best is this king of the koopas. It starts so rude that you feel the intensity right away. And it keeps up even after some loops. It just makes the fight even more stressful.

For SPM, I didn't played it (I will one day but not now), but ultimate show is all I can tell. So much epic for any fight. There's a reason it was in Project M.

I don't have anything for sticker star (and quite honestly, I don't seem to found the music fitting).

There's so much music potential that it makes me think more that they hide something about WiiU.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
"Pic of the Day. At long last, Professor Frankly has joined the battle! Look forward to using him at release. He does not ever fight in the original game, but he can attack with text bubbles!"
Paper Mario with his arms from my avatar

:troll:

Btw, I still don't know why it's in the game. It's so out of there.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If we can have a Paper Mario stage and we are speculating on Paper Mario's inclusion, then what items from the series that's Paper Mario exclusive should be in?

There many choices to choose from like the Dizzy Dial, Sleepy Sheep, Repel Gel, Stone Cap, Electroshroom, Fright Mask, Ice Storm, and the many "things" from Sticker Star. If any item were to be chosen, I'd pick the Ice Storm since we need an item that could attack every fighter on the screen in the vein of the Lightning item and to at least have something Super Paper Mario related (depending on IF there will be a Super Paper Mario transition of that PM stage or not).

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Mistake as a Food item to punish players who try to eat it.

Only Assist Trophy that PM needs is Gourmet Guy.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If we can have a Paper Mario stage and we are speculating on Paper Mario's inclusion, then what items from the series that's Paper Mario exclusive should be in?

There many choices to choose from like the Dizzy Dial, Sleepy Sheep, Repel Gel, Stone Cap, Electroshroom, Fright Mask, Ice Storm, and the many "things" from Sticker Star. If any item were to be chosen, I'd pick the Ice Storm since we need an item that could attack every fighter on the screen in the vein of the Lightning item and to at least have something Super Paper Mario related (depending on IF there will be a Super Paper Mario transition of that PM stage or not).
I was hoping to see some of the many food items from Paper Mario included.

Here's some other items I think are very suitable for Smash:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I was more thinking about badges that do special effects. There's a ton of things you could do here.

btw,

Nice work! In response to it, I feel the need to add a few things.
-Prism Tower was revealed before Greninja's reveal, right? About a week or two before. That was a 3DS stage, and when he was revealed, we got an X and Y stage for the Wii U. If Paper Mario hopefully makes it into the roster, this can be a repeat of that.
-It's, as you said, still very possible those two representations of the stage are not the only ones. He could just be showing two of four, or something.
-It definitely could be a repeat of the Palutena-Little Mac pattern. Although normally one would think a surprise would be ruined if he mentions the newcomer's name, it seems to be sorta the intention of just naming the series, ya'know? Like, "the Paper Mario" series, not the character. If he mentioned his name, it'd probably be used in a different context, which would possibly spoil it. It could slightly relate to Palutena, in which Sakurai did not mention her name specifically, but was fine letting the stage get shown in the April Direct with her name in it (I'm probably going too far, though).
the greninja thing slipped from my mind, but it's a very good point.

As for the name, You would have to tell anyway (that's literally the same name).

Actually, it could have been the tease after all, lol. Because you might think it's the series while it could have been him being in the game.

Far-fetched, but not for Sakurai (we are talking about the one who made the Ridley situation really, expect anything).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Nah, we need Whacka himself as an Assist Trophy to spawn at least 8 of these based on the number of times you hit him. Or is it because I love abusing that blue critter so much for food. :troll:

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Nah, we need Whacka himself as an Assist Trophy to spawn at least 8 of these based on the number of tiems you hit him. Or is it because I love abusing that blue critter so much for food. :troll:
As a kid, I felt so bad for hitting poor Whacka haha. But yes, he should be a randomly spawning enemy or hazard which you can hit for his bump. Man, that sounds weird.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I was more thinking about badges that do special effects. There's a ton of things you could do here.

btw,

the greninja thing slipped from my mind, but it's a very good point.

As for the name, You would have to tell anyway (that's literally the same name).

Actually, it could have been the tease after all, lol. Because you might think it's the series while it could have been him being in the game.

Far-fetched, but not for Sakurai (we are talking about the one who made the Ridley situation really, expect anything).
Ah, that's also one. Haha, I guess it's a tease. It's really difficult to predict the guy.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Here's some other items I think are very suitable for Smash:
Those items would be great for a randomized Final Smash attack. Paper Mario pulls out one of them and a unique effect takes place.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
At the very least, I'm expecting a Paper Mario stage for Wii U, thanks to S.S. Flavion. The ship has no business being the stage's hallmark for TTYD - It's actually the place Mario's on the least amount of time in the game besides the damn Outpost Cannon. Mario spends more time at Riverside Station. - and it's such a strange thing to pick.

The Wii U version, though, would have a more stationary and significant landmark. Maybe the battle stage, I'd prefer either Rogueport or the great entranceway of the Thousand-Year Door, but anything other than S.S. Flavion.

Good job, Flavio. Your insignificance helped Mario get into Cortez's lair. Now your ship's insignificance may get us another stage. You alright.

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Ah, now you guys made me start playing Super Paper Mario all over again. It's the only Paper Mario game I haven't played in such a long time.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I normally don't frequent the support threads... but damn if I don't support Paper Mario.

I've said it time and time again, stuck with him through the thick and thin, most of us have, and now we've come closer than ever before.

No going back, we're punching the hype train into maximum overdrive.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I now more or less believe Paper Mario is in the game. I just don't believe he's going to be revealed anytime soon, due to the anniversary of Pyrosphere coming up. Unless there's a double reveal of Ridley and Paper Mario, but those guys have nothing in common.

Of course Gematsuers might be thrown a bone and Marshall could be revealed to celebrate Rhythm Heaven...

Wizela

Smash Rookie
Made a Paper Mario moveset to celebrate the new stage!

Paper Mario

Weight: 1.5/5
Height: 2.5/5
Speed: 2.5/5
Jump: 3.5/5
Power: 3/5
Range: 3/5
Throw: 3.5/5

All of Paper Mario's special moves can be chained together (with proper timing) up to three times in any order, kind of like Marth's Forward B special. After using a Step 1 move, the next special will be the Step 2 move of the Special you inputted, and another input will chain into a Step 3 move.

For example, you could do any of the following combinations and more: B>-B-B^ OR Bv-B>-Bv OR B^-B^-B.

These combos would produce Watt-Barry-Airplane, Dashell-Koops-Kersti and Carrie-Parakarry-Bobbery respectively.

Neutral B – Teamwork Counter

Step 1 – Bow – Paper Mario becomes incorporeal for a split second, making him invincible to all attacks.
Step 2 – Barry – A spinning spike shield appears briefly around Paper Mario, damaging and repelling enemies at close range.
Step 3 – Bobbery – Paper Mario places Admiral Bobbery on the ground, who walks forward for a 3 seconds before stopping and exploding. If someone touches Bobbery during his walk, he will immediately stop and prepare to explode. Great knockback.

Forward B – Teamwork Shot

Step 1 – Watt – Watt swoops from behind Paper Mario and flies forward, damaging any opponent he strikes once, before disappearing. Can hit multiple opponents.
Step 2 – Koops – Paper Mario fires Koops forward by jumping on him, traveling the same distance as Watt, before launching back towards Paper Mario, pulling any opponents he hits closer to him. If the player holds B when summoning Koops, he can be held in place at the furthest distance from Paper Mario and fired backwards when B is released (you cannot chain after doing this). While B is held, Paper Mario can move freely, but cannot attack until B is released. If Koops does not make contact with Paper Mario on his return trip, he will continue moving in the same direction until he goes off screen.
Step 3 – Thoreau – Paper Mario shoots Thoreau forward, grabbing one opponent and returning him to Paper Mario. This is a long-distance grab attack that can connect in mid-air, but it cannot be used as a tether.

Up B – Teamwork Boost

Step 1 – Carrie – Carrie appears beneath Paper Mario's feet, and Mario jumps a short distance off of her. Touching Carrie damages enemies.
Step 2 – Parakarry – Parakarry appears and lifts Paper Mario a short distance into the air. Parakarry's flapping wings can damage enemies.
Step 3 – Airplane – Paper Mario folds into an airplane and flies forward with a slow descent. While in this form, Paper Mario can angle his trajectory somewhat, similarly to Brawl's glide mechanics. Flying into enemies does continuous, minor damage and knockback.

Down B – Teamwork Power-Up

Step 1 – Dashell – Dashell flies around Paper Mario, spinning his body, giving him a speed boost for 7 seconds.
Step 2 – Goombella – Goombella kisses Paper Mario, reducing all damage taken by 1% for 6 seconds. If Paper Mario is hit by any attack that only does 1%, he takes no knockback from the attack.
Step 3 – Kersti – Kersti flies around Paper Mario, boosting all damage done by Paper Mario by 2% for 5 seconds.

Jab – Paper Punch – Paper Mario punches with his right hand.
Jab Combo – Paper Kick – Paper Mario punches with his left hand and then kicks.
Dash A – Paper Tube – Paper Mario rolls into a tube and hits the enemy. Hits low to the ground.

Forward Tilt – Spin Smash – Paper Mario swipes his hammer in front of him like a baseball bat.
Up Tilt – Head Rattle – Paper Mario lifts his hammer up into the air and spins it for multiple hits.
Down Tilt – Quake Hammer – Paper Mario hits the ground with his hammer. Hits anyone standing on the ground within a limited radius of Mario for minor damage.

(All of Paper Mario's Smash attacks also make the wind-up noises the Hammer makes in PM64 and TTYD when charged. If the attack is released with the correct timing, the attack does its maximum damage and knockback. If the attack is released after, or the attack releases on its own, it will only do the damage and knockback of an uncharged Smash.)

Forward Smash – Hammer Smash – Paper Mario raises his hammer above his head and slams it into the ground.
Up Smash – Spring Jump – Paper Mario compresses his body before springing up with an raised fist. Paper Mario jumps higher the longer he charges the attack.
Down Smash – Super Hammer Spin – Paper Mario holds his hammer like a baseball bat, before swinging and spinning in place, hitting both in front and behind him.

Neutral Aerial – Star Spirit Spin – Paper Mario spins in place, showing off his paper-thin . Little stars fly out on contact.
Forward Aerial – Sticker Star Strike – Paper Mario kicks forward with his foot. Glitter flies out on contact.
Back Aerial – Pure Heart Punch – Paper Mario swings his hand backwards. Little hearts fly out on contact.
Up Aerial – Crystal Star Crash – Paper Mario raises his first above his head. Sparkles fly out on contact.
Down Aerial – Super Stomp – Paper Mario does a quick spin in midair, doing minimal damage, then ground-pounds. If it hits, Paper Mario bounces off the opponent. Meteor Smash.

Ground Attack – Origami – Paper Mario folds himself around until he is standing upright.
Ledge Attack – Fold Over – Paper Mario folds himself upwards and then back onto the stage.

Grab – Paper Clip – Paper Mario grabs his opponent with one hand.
Grab Combo – Paper Cut – Paper Mario strikes his opponent with his free hand.
Forward Throw – Paper Spin – Paper Mario spins into his opponent a short distance before launching him.
Back Throw – Paper Flip – Paper Mario spins around a few times before tossing his opponent in the other direction.
Up Throw – Paper Shredder – Paper Mario spins in place, sucking his opponent in, before launching them straight up.
Down Throw – Paper Flatten – Paper Mario throws his opponent on the ground, then rolls over them as a paper tube.
Down Throw (midair) – Paper Crane – Paper Mario bounces off his opponent's head, launching them downwards.

Up Taunt – Paper Mario waves his hands above his head, like when using the Appeal command in TTYD.
Down Taunt – Paper Mario gets on one knee and prays, as sparkles fly upwards around him.
Side Taunt – Paper Mario spins in place, making the spinning noise from PM64.

Victory Pose A – Paper Mario gives a double-thumbs up with one hand, then the other.
Victory Pose B – Paper Mario waves with both hands as the spotlight shines on him, with an invisible audience throwing him coins and flowers.
Victory Pose C – A paper airplane flies in, which folds into a boat, a tube, and finally into Paper Mario, who poses with arms outstretched.

Costumes – Mario colors, Luigi colors, Wario colors, Waluigi colors, Ice Mario colors, Fire Mario colors. (Mr. L alternate costume)

Entrance – A paper airplane flies into the stage and lands nose-first before unfolding into Paper Mario.

Idle Animation – Paper Mario will drink a Honey Syrup, check his e-mail on his Mailbox SP, or start snoring with a snot bubble forming.

Final Smash - Art Attack

Paper Mario holds up the Crystal Star map, causing the seven Crystal Stars to fly out, all meeting together at the center of the map, overlapping each other. Paper Mario then turns sideways using the Pixl Slim, rendering him invincible and invisible for the duration of the Final Smash.

Now the Crystal Stars become a cursor which the player moves with the control stick. As the cursor is moved, a magical, rainbow-colored line appears behind it - this line drawn by the cursor is solid and cannot be passed through by other players. If a player touches the cursor, they will take minor damage and be pushed away.

If the cursor makes a closed area with its line, the inside of the area will explode and all players inside will take damage. The smaller the area, the higher the damage and knockback will be.

This Final Smash lasts for 20 seconds, or after seven closed areas have been made by the cursor. Each time an area is closed, the color of the cursor changes: it starts white, then turns green, yellowish-brown, red, blue, orange and finally multi-colored. Each time the player closes a circle with a player inside, words will flash up on screen: first Nice, then Good, Great, Wonderful and finally Excellent.

After the time limit or use limit has run out, the Crystal Stars fly off into the sky and Paper Mario returns to the fight.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Made a Paper Mario moveset to celebrate the new stage!

Paper Mario

Weight: 1.5/5
Height: 2.5/5
Speed: 2.5/5
Jump: 3.5/5
Power: 3/5
Range: 3/5
Throw: 3.5/5

All of Paper Mario's special moves can be chained together (with proper timing) up to three times in any order, kind of like Marth's Forward B special. After using a Step 1 move, the next special will be the Step 2 move of the Special you inputted, and another input will chain into a Step 3 move.

For example, you could do any of the following combinations and more: B>-B-B^ OR Bv-B>-Bv OR B^-B^-B.

These combos would produce Watt-Barry-Airplane, Dashell-Koops-Kersti and Carrie-Parakarry-Bobbery respectively.

Neutral B – Teamwork Counter

Step 1 – Bow – Paper Mario becomes incorporeal for a split second, making him invincible to all attacks.
Step 2 – Barry – A spinning spike shield appears briefly around Paper Mario, damaging repelling enemies at close range.
Step 3 – Bobbery – Paper Mario places Admiral Bobbery on the ground, who walks forward for a 3 seconds before stopping and exploding. If someone touches Bobbery during his walk, he will immediately stop and prepare to explode. Great knockback.

Forward B – Teamwork Shot

Step 1 – Watt – Watt swoops from behind Paper Mario and flies forward, damaging any opponent he strikes once, before disappearing. Can hit multiple opponents.
Step 2 – Koops – Paper Mario fires Koops forward by jumping on him, traveling the same distance as Watt, before launching back towards Paper Mario, pulling any opponents he hits closer to him. If the player holds B when summoning Koops, he can be held in place at the furthest distance from Paper Mario and fired backwards when B is released (you cannot chain after doing this). While B is held, Paper Mario can move freely, but cannot attack until B is released. If Koops does not make contact with Paper Mario on his return trip, he will continue moving in the same direction until he goes off screen.
Step 3 – Thoreau – Paper Mario shoots Thoreau forward, grabbing one opponent and returning him to Paper Mario. This is a long-distance grab attack that can connect in mid-air, but it cannot be used as a tether.

Up B – Teamwork Boost

Step 1 – Carrie – Carrie appears beneath Paper Mario's feet, and Mario jumps a short distance off of her. Touching Carrie damages enemies.
Step 2 – Parakarry – Parakarry appears and lifts Paper Mario a short distance into the air. Parakarry's flapping wings can damage enemies.
Step 3 – Airplane – Paper Mario folds into an airplane and flies forward with a slow descent. While in this form, Paper Mario can angle his trajectory somewhat, similarly to Brawl's glide mechanics. Flying into enemies does continuous, minor damage and knockback.

Down B – Teamwork Power-Up

Step 1 – Dashell – Dashell flies around Paper Mario, spinning his body, giving him a speed boost for 7 seconds.
Step 2 – Goombella – Goombella kisses Paper Mario, reducing all damage taken by 1% for 6 seconds. If Paper Mario is hit by any attack that only does 1%, he takes no knockback from the attack.
Step 3 – Kersti – Kersti flies around Paper Mario, boosting all damage done by Paper Mario by 2% for 5 seconds.

Jab – Paper Punch – Paper Mario punches with his right hand.
Jab Combo – Paper Kick – Paper Mario punches with his left hand and then kicks.
Dash A – Paper Tube – Paper Mario rolls into a tube and hits the enemy. Hits low to the ground.

Forward Tilt – Spin Smash – Paper Mario swings his hammer in front of him like a baseball bat.
Up Tilt – Head Rattle – Paper Mario lifts his hammer up into the air and spins it for multiple hits.
Down Tilt – Quake Hammer – Paper Mario hits the ground with his hammer. Hits anyone standing on the ground within a limited radius of Mario for minor damage.

(All of Paper Mario's Smash attacks also make the wind-up noises the Hammer makes in PM64 and TTYD when charged. If the attack is released with the correct timing, the attack does its maximum damage and knockback. If the attack is released after, or the attack releases on its own, it will only do the damage and knockback of an uncharged Smash.)

Forward Smash – Hammer Smash – Paper Mario raises his hammer above his head and slams it into the ground.
Up Smash – Spring Jump – Paper Mario compresses his body before springing up with an raised fist. Paper Mario jumps higher the longer he charges the attack.
Down Smash – Super Hammer Spin – Paper Mario holds his hammer like a baseball bat, before swinging and spinning in place, hitting both in front and behind him.

Neutral Aerial – Star Spirit Spin – Paper Mario spins in place, showing off his paper-thin . Little stars fly out on contact.
Forward Aerial – Sticker Star Strike – Paper Mario kicks forward with his foot. Glitter flies out on contact.
Back Aerial – Pure Heart Punch – Paper Mario swings his hand backwards. Little hearts fly out on contact.
Up Aerial – Crystal Star Crash – Paper Mario raises his first above his head. Sparkles fly out on contact.
Down Aerial – Super Stomp – Paper Mario does a quick spin in midair, doing minimal damage, then ground-pounds. If it hits, Paper Mario bounces off the opponent. Meteor Smash.

Ground Attack – Origami – Paper Mario folds himself around until he is standing upright.
Ledge Attack – Fold Over – Paper Mario folds himself upwards and then back onto the stage.

Grab – Paper Clip – Paper Mario grabs his opponent with one hand.
Grab Combo – Paper Cut – Paper Mario strikes his opponent with his free hand.
Forward Throw – Paper Spin – Paper Mario spins into his opponent a short distance before launching him.
Back Throw – Paper Flip – Paper Mario spins around a few times before tossing his opponent in the other direction.
Up Throw – Paper Shredder – Paper Mario spins in place, sucking his opponent in, before launching them straight up.
Down Throw – Paper Flatten – Paper Mario throws his opponent on the ground, then rolls over them as a paper tube.
Down Throw (midair) – Paper Crane – Paper Mario bounces off his opponent's head, launching them downwards.

Up Taunt – Paper Mario waves his hands above his head, like when using the Appeal command in TTYD.
Down Taunt – Paper Mario gets on one knee and prays, as sparkles fly upwards around him.
Side Taunt – Paper Mario raises his hands above his head, as either the Star Spirits, Crystal Stars, Pure Hearts or Royal Stickers circle around him before disappearing.

Victory Pose A – Paper Mario gives a double-thumbs up with one hand, then the other.
Victory Pose B – Paper Mario waves with both hands as the spotlight shines on him, with an invisible audience throwing him coins and flowers.
Victory Pose C – Paper Mario does a little dance like the ones the Pixls do whenever you get a Pure Heart in Super Paper Mario.

Costumes – Mario colors, Luigi colors, Wario colors, Waluigi colors, Light Blue hat with Blue overalls, Fire Mario colors.

Entrance – A paper airplane flies into the stage and lands nose-first before unfolding into Paper Mario.

Idle Animation – Paper Mario will drink a Honey Syrup, check his e-mail on his Mailbox SP, or start snoring with a snot bubble forming.

(Still thinking of a Final Smash.)
Added the the OP (love that special gimmick btw).

If you think about final smash, I can edit it if you want.

Top Bottom