• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Improving edgeguards by watching Blea Gelo

P@RA

Smash Rookie
I just started watching some Blea vids to help improve my game and something that I noticed he did extremely well was edgeguarding Marth and Falcon. I really like how he was super patient with Cpt Falcon and just sat near the ledge waiting to react with SH Fairs and stuff.

With Marth, he had great dairs off the ledge as soon as the Marth would up-b. I would definitely want to add that to my arsenal because I tend to struggle when edguarding Marth. Also quick getups and tilts seemed to be really simple yet effective.

As a newer player of 6 months, I would suggest checking out these vids to help you get better because they're definitely helping me.

Blea Gelo vs. Reckoner (Marth)
Blea Gelo vs. Gahtzu (Cpt Falcon)

spider_sense

Smash Champion
One thing Blea does that's really good for edge guard, is wavedash f-tilt to cover poorly timed sweetspots, he'll also grab the ledge and do falling bair which covers the high and lows of most of the character's recovery. Sometimes getting back on the stage with a delayed dair works well because it conditions players to go straight to the ledge.

Yeah, a he's very solid player, but you shouldn't just focus on the edge guarding because Blea also has an excellent neutral game.

Last edited:

P@RA

Smash Rookie
Yeah I wasn't just focusing on edgeguarding it just happened to stand out to me. I was initially watching him for everything. I didn't know about that falling bair though - that's really cool! Thanks

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yeah I wasn't just focusing on edgeguarding it just happened to stand out to me. I was initially watching him for everything. I didn't know about that falling bair though - that's really cool! Thanks
I understand dude, one thing I could suggest when you're watching players like Blea, is to put yourselves in his shoes when you're studying match ups, it'll help you remain cognitive of what he's doing all the time.

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
I can attest to the bairs for edge guarding, that's something I've been doing lately and it works particularly well against Fox/Falco

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Drop-off bair with invincibility is probably the best way to edgeguard marth.

Bair in general as a spacing tool is extremely useful. Good range, lasts long.

One thing that hasn't been experimented with much are Bair reversals. It's great for combos (leads into Chops/Uairs/Grabs).

Basically it's one of the great, if not the best, attacks in Luigi's arsenal.

Last edited:

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Bair from ledge is indeed a great tool for edge guarding Marth at several different points in his recovery. But for seeming so linear Marth's recovery can actually be quite dynamic and therefore must be played against accordingly. It can be dangerous to approach Marth who is too far out lest you get hit by a reactive up B -- you could proactively go for the trade but that risks being beaten by a later recovery or even hindering your own recovery. When a Marth is hugging the stage, bair and every other attack can be beaten by tech -> up B (*shudders*) meaning you should just be guarding from the stage. Luigi falls too slowly for the light shield ledge grab to work, so this situation becomes an interaction between the two of you with mixups between platform, stage, and ledge and many spacings therein. This is a mental game where experience and the ability to recognize Marth's options versus your own is crucial.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
Not always, no. If a Marth sweetspots the ledge you'll fall off but not before he can grab it. It still works if the Marth is less precise though.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Bair from ledge is indeed a great tool for edge guarding Marth at several different points in his recovery. But for seeming so linear Marth's recovery can actually be quite dynamic and therefore must be played against accordingly. It can be dangerous to approach Marth who is too far out lest you get hit by a reactive up B -- you could proactively go for the trade but that risks being beaten by a later recovery or even hindering your own recovery. When a Marth is hugging the stage, bair and every other attack can be beaten by tech -> up B (*shudders*) meaning you should just be guarding from the stage. Luigi falls too slowly for the light shield ledge grab to work, so this situation becomes an interaction between the two of you with mixups between platform, stage, and ledge and many spacings therein. This is a mental game where experience and the ability to recognize Marth's options versus your own is crucial.
I see what you're saying, but usually I time a ledge grab such that if he does a reactive up-B i have invincibility as I bair. Its the best way to edgeguard marth I think.

PS: will i see ya at Paragon?

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
I had to choose between Paragon and Apex this month and I chose Apex but I really wish I were going to both. Good luck at Paragon!

P@RA

Smash Rookie
Keep us updated on how you guys do at Paragon and Apex respectively! I'd like to know how fellow Weegees do/cheer you on

Griffard

Smash Ace
Keep us updated on how you guys do at Paragon and Apex respectively! I'd like to know how fellow Weegees do/cheer you on
I drove out with fellow New Orleans smashers- I did pretty alright! Got T-33rd, beat my whole pool except for DruggedFox. I had Colbol first round and got 3 and 2 stocked, then beat a Fox named BlueJim round 2, then lost to Gahtzu round 3. Game 2 I was up a stock and lots of percent but he clutched it out on Yoshi's.

Played lots of friendlies against 'name' players, had a blast and learned so much this weekend. Big tournaments are amazing experiences, every new player should try to attend some.

Top Bottom