• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
No, Sakurai is "dumb" enough to do that. But he doesn't see it that way. Obviously he likes clone characters: Dark Pit, Doctor Mario, Lucina. They might as well be costumes, but hey I'm not a game developer.

He would most likely put Impa in over the other characters you mentioned because she would be easy to make by cloning Sheik.
What are you saying? He's not going to try to fulfill some Zelda character quota and use Impa because she'd be "easy." If he's going to include a unique Zelda newcomer, he'll do it, and it could be Impa or any others, but Sheik-cloned Impa most certainly wouldn't happen instead of another potential Zelda newcomer.

Tbh I doubt we'll be seeing clones as DLC, except maybe semi-clones.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
I'm almost positive that Impa will be a Sheik clone if she gets in. I can tell you now that he won't base it on the Hyrule Warriors Impa.
Im not a fan of that solution, if were bothering with DLC at all. Rather have her an unique character or them focusion on making actual new characters.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
What are you saying? He's not going to try to fulfill some Zelda character quota and use Impa because she'd be "easy." If he's going to include a unique Zelda newcomer, he'll do it, and it could be Impa or any others, but Sheik-cloned Impa most certainly wouldn't happen instead of another potential Zelda newcomer.

Tbh I doubt we'll be seeing clones as DLC, except maybe semi-clones.
Im not a fan of that solution, if were bothering with DLC at all. Rather have her an unique character or them focusion on making actual new characters.
It's not my solution or one that I would vote for, but it is what I think will happen. I think it is likely that Impa will be a clone/semi clone because Sakurai obviously doesn't care how unique a character is. As long as he can make them just a little different he will put them in the game.

BTW making Mewtwo is easier than making a completely unique Impa because Mewtwo was in Melee and in Brawl (this is how they were able to put him in PM). So if they have to spend X amount of months on Mewtwo (where X is the amount of moths it takes to transfer Brawl/Melee Mewtwo into Sm4sh with a few changes), they would have to spend X+Y amount of months on a unique Impa (where Y is the added months of deciding on a move set and overall design for Impa). It is just more logical for Impa to be a clone or semi-clone and that is what I expect to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a unique Impa since she is a very important Zelda character, but seeing Dark Pit and Lucina and Doctor Mario with separate character slots it doesn't make sense to add in a completely unique fighter. Why would he put those characters in now over a unique fighter rather than putting in a unique Impa in first and then making a clone DLC pack? Are the clones more important to Sakurai/Smash then a unique Impa?

I hope that this isn't the case, but it probably will be.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It's not my solution or one that I would vote for, but it is what I think will happen. I think it is likely that Impa will be a clone/semi clone because Sakurai obviously doesn't care how unique a character is. As long as he can make them just a little different he will put them in the game.

BTW making Mewtwo is easier than making a completely unique Impa because Mewtwo was in Melee and in Brawl (this is how they were able to put him in PM). So if they have to spend X amount of months on Mewtwo (where X is the amount of moths it takes to transfer Brawl/Melee Mewtwo into Sm4sh with a few changes), they would have to spend X+Y amount of months on a unique Impa (where Y is the added months of deciding on a move set and overall design for Impa). It is just more logical for Impa to be a clone or semi-clone and that is what I expect to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a unique Impa since she is a very important Zelda character, but seeing Dark Pit and Lucina and Doctor Mario with separate character slots it doesn't make sense to add in a completely unique fighter. Why would he put those characters in now over a unique fighter rather than putting in a unique Impa in first and then making a clone DLC pack? Are the clones more important to Sakurai/Smash then a unique Impa?

Dark pit and lucina weren't added because they could make an easy clone, they were alts so they thought they might as well just give them their own slot

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Dark pit and lucina weren't added because they could make an easy clone, they were alts so they thought they might as well just give them their own slot
That isn't true because of the Olimar alt costume.

Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc are all different in some way which is why they were given a slot. Sakurai said something along the lines of "as long as a character is just a little bit different, then they will get their own slot."

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
That isn't true because of the Olimar alt costume.

Dark Pit, Lucina and Doc are all different in some way which is why they were given a slot. Sakurai said something along the lines of "as long as a character is just a little bit different, then they will get their own slot."
But they were originally alts, sakurai has stated that multiple times

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Why would he put those characters in now over a unique fighter rather than putting in a unique Impa in first and then making a clone DLC pack? Are the clones more important to Sakurai/Smash then a unique Impa?
Who would pay for complete clones? Also, "it takes a lot of work even to complete one fighter"...

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

You don't know what you're talking about.

If what you say were true, the roster would be full of clones. But clearly it's not. Why? Because Sakurai cares very much about unique fighters, and has specifically said so. It was part of the reason Robin got in over Chrom.

No clone ever gets in over a unique fighter. That's just not how it works. Clones are added at the end of development to beef up the roster a bit and provide variations on existing movesets, not to "replace" unique fighters.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
You don't know what you're talking about.

If what you say were true, the roster would be full of clones. But clearly it's not. Why? Because Sakurai cares very much about unique fighters, and has specifically said so. It was part of the reason Robin got in over Chrom.

No clone ever gets in over a unique fighter. That's just not how it works. Clones are added at the end of development to beef up the roster a bit and provide variations on existing movesets, not to "replace" unique fighters.
Yes Sakurai cares a lot about the uniqueness of fighters. That is why he gave us custom movesets. However, he probably doesn't care about how unique a fighter is that he adds at this stage of the game which is why he seems to always put in clones at the end of development.

Clones are definitely added in at the end like in Melee to "beef" the roster. Would you not call this period the end of development?

Who would pay for complete clones? Also, "it takes a lot of work even to complete one fighter"...
I think of clones as costumes and costumes are always good. That being said it would be bad to pay for costumes, but clones is just a general word Impa could be a semi-clone like Ganondorf.

But they were originally alts, sakurai has stated that multiple times
Could you show me where he says this? I have never heard that. Regardless, they are more than just alternate costumes now because they differ slightly.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I thought she'd have been a Sheik clone if she was in before release non-DLC. But now, it's probably more likely that she'd be unique or not playable at all. It's a different situation. I mean, unless he tries to beef up a DLC pack with characters that were planned as costumes for the Pack... but from what we know now I don't know why that'd be considered likely.
Not that I'd mind that at all, I wanted her as a clone before release.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
That children comment is still one of the most hilarious and awesome things Sakurai ever said.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Yes Sakurai cares a lot about the uniqueness of fighters. That is why he gave us custom movesets. However, he probably doesn't care about how unique a fighter is that he adds at this stage of the game which is why he seems to always put in clones at the end of development.

Clones are definitely added in at the end like in Melee to "beef" the roster. Would you not call this period the end of development?
This no longer has anything to do with what you said previously. I would say it's not even tangentially related, you're now talking about something completely different.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
This no longer has anything to do with what you said previously. I would say it's not even tangentially related, you're now talking about something completely different.
??????? Well I'm not going to keep posting the same thing over and over.....but if you can't see the relation I've been talking about clones this whole time :laugh:

How I think Impa will be a clone

How clones were made at the end of melee development

How it is the end of Smash 4 development since, you know, the game has been released and all...... -_-

Yeah they are going to put a good amount of time into DLC, but I hardly think that they would try to make a character completely unique that could take several attributes from another character.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
??????? Well I'm not going to keep posting the same thing over and over.....but if you can't see the relation I've been talking about clones this whole time :laugh:

How I think Impa will be a clone

How clones were made at the end of melee development

How it is the end of Smash 4 development since, you know, the game has been released and all...... -_-
But the thing is, people won't buy clones and they have time to not make her a clone. So she won't be

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Um... Are you counting trophies as "disconfirmations?" Because Mewtwo had a trophy in the 3DS version, and he's being made into DLC. Simply having a trophy in the game isn't enough to keep a character from becoming playable.
Especially since the Impa trophy is from Ocarina of Time 3D. We can all agree that OoT Impa was the least likely of all viable Impas right?

Anyway, am super hyped for DLC!

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Canon or no, HW Impa is preferred. You can do so much more with HW Impa than say SS Impa. She's got a lot going for her
  1. Zelda newcomer
  2. Female character (can always use more female representation)
With a little bit of creativity she could be unique, she could use her Giant Blade for smash attacks and then her naginata for regular attacks, ala Robin. Then her specials could revolve around her magic in Hyrule Warriors.
Zelda Wiki:
"She uses a curved great sword as her weapon. She also appears to have some magical ability, manipulating water to take the shape of throwing knives and even copies of her sword. Enemies struck by these attacks have their heads surrounded by suffocating bubbles. Her second style is a naginata (Japanese pole weapon; similar to a glaive) which allows her to manipulate fire."

Cpt.

Smash Lord
She's got a lot going for her
  1. Zelda newcomer
  2. Female character (can always use more female representation)
LOL yeah that's a lot :rolleyes:

let's include

3. arguably 4th most important character in Zelda
4. possible unique weapon (dagger or curved greatsword)
5. easy to make a semi-clone from Sheik

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

I'm like 99% sure the PMBR made Mewtwo from the ground up themselves, just used it for inspiration. I could be wrong, and it doesn't really detract that much from your argument, but I'm just saying

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
just saying if we get impa as dlc.What would be the point if she's gonna be a clone.Little.I wouldn't mind a wolf or lucas styled impa but a full on clone.NO.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Since Ghirahim isn't a candidate anymore, Impa is the only character I would want to see in Smash from the Zelda series. I already posted here claiming to be a supporter (before the release of the game), but I wanted to state it again :p Anyways, I don't care if it is SS or HW Impa, although I think SS Impa would be much more likely to be playable instead. A mixture of both would be interesting too, I think.

Edit:
But the thing is, people won't buy clones and they have time to not make her a clone. So she won't be
You don't know that ;) I would buy clones and semi clones of characters I like. For example? I like ZSS' moveset but I dislike the character (and I love Samus and the Metroid series, it is only ZSS that rubs me the wrong way), so I wouldn't mind a clone with her exact moveset. By the way, I don't think there are any Nintendo characters that would work well with ZSS' moveset, this was just an example, really.

Impa as a clone/semi-clone wouldn't be the end of the world. Sure, she having an unique moveset would be the ideal, but I will take clone Impa over no Impa. By the way, who is to say they aren't planning to release characters in "packs"? Like one full fledged newcomer and one clone/semi clone in each pack? That way, even if people aren't terribly interested in buying clones, they would still be sold ;) Lastly, it is funny to see people asking for Lucas and Wolf to be back and at the same time, they are against clone newcomers. Hypocrisy much?

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Speaking of the semi-clone veterans who do you guys think has a better chance to get in? New comers like Impa, or someone like Lucas or Wolf?

Personally I would take Impa over Wolf because we have two games with Wolf, but I don't really like either one better than the other. Do you think that Sakurai would prioritize veterans?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think Wolf is likely coming back because of Star Fox U, but Lucas? Seeing how poorly the Mother 3 reception was in Japan, I really don't see him coming back. Also because Mother 3 was never release globally, so Lucas really isn't a popular/well known character in the West.

Anyways, I think the DLC fighters are most likely to be newcomers over veterans. Mewtwo is the exception because... Well, it is Mewtwo.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think Wolf is likely coming back because of Star Fox U, but Lucas? Seeing how poorly the Mother 3 reception was in Japan, I really don't see him coming back. Also because Mother 3 was never release globally, so Lucas really isn't a popular/well known character in the West.

Anyways, I think the DLC fighters are most likely to be newcomers over veterans. Mewtwo is the exception because... Well, it is Mewtwo.
The mother series is kinda dead so that isn't looking good although his smash fanbase is rather large so it's possible

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
So I'm trying to come up with a Skyward Sword based moveset and this is all I got so far, Anyone got any ideas?

Normal attacks:
A – A quick swipe with her left hand

A + A – A quick swipe with her right hand

A + A + A – A swift kick

A + Hold – Lightning fast kicks ending in a karate chop

Dash Attack – Pulls her hands close to her before letting go releasing blue magic

Forward Tilt – A kick going upwards

Down Tilt – A leg sweep

Up Tilt – Stands on her hand with one leg out in a ninja-like pose

Forward Smash – A karate chop forwards

Down Smash – Performs a breakdance-like spinning kick on one hand

Up Smash – She puts her hand above her head releasing a burst of blue magic

Neutral Air – A series of 3 quick kicks

Forward Air – She lifts her leg over her head and performs an axe-kick downwards

Back Air – A swipe backwards covered in blue magic

Down Air – She thrusts her foot downwards

Up Air – She waves her hand above her head, giving out blue magic

Grabs and Throws:
Grab –

Pummel –

Forward Throw –

Back Throw –

Up Throw –

Down Throw –

Specials Attacks:
Neutral Special – A chargeable projectile, Impa will create a blue ball of energy in the palm of her hand which will explode when thrown (Can be stored)
Neutral Special 2 – Non-chargeable, deals set damage
Neutral Special 3 – Delayed explosion (Project M Din’s fire)

Side Special – ??? I had some ideas although I have no idea how they’d work
1) Something referencing her role as the Sage of Shadow
2) Something using the timeshift orbs
3) Something using the sacred tears
Side Special 2 –
Side Special 3 -

Up Special – Gate of Time, Impa will summon a miniature version of the gate of time which will teleport her in whichever direction inputted. It goes farther than Sheik’s but is slower and is faster than Zelda’s but doesn’t travel as far
Up Special 2 – Sheik’s Up Special
Up Special 3 – Zelda’s Up Special

Down Special – Barrier of Hylia, Impa will create a blue shield of magic in front of her, this will reflect projectiles and acts as a shield which can be broken after a few hits
Down Special 2 –
Down Special 3 –

Extras:
Stance – She’ll stand with Straight posture with one hand on her hip

Idle Animation – She’ll Fold her arms and look around her

Taunt 1 – She’ll put both hands out in front of her facing opposite directions, creating blue magic in the palms of her hands

Taunt 2 – She’ll begin to meditate whilst floating

Taunt 3 – The bracelet given to her by Zelda will materialize on her wrist, she’ll then look at it and smile before it disappears again

Victory Pose 1 –

Victory Pose 2 –

Victory Pose 3 –

Entrance Animation – She will appear out of the gate of time

Alternate Colours:
1) Default (Skyward Sword)
2) Ocarina of Time (Grey hair with Blue, Black and Grey outfit)
3) Rauru (Red outfit with White and Orange highlights)
4) Saria (Green outfit with Dark Green highlights)
5) Darunia (Brown outfit with Orange highlights)
6) Ruto (Blue outfit with Purple highlights)
7) Nabooru (Pink outfit with Gold highlights and Red shoes)
8) A Link between worlds (Purple Hair with Red, Blue and Yellow outfit)

Stats: (Assuming Mario is 5 in everything)
Height: 8 – She’s quite tall, not as tall as Rosalina but taller than sheik
Weight: 4 – Heavier than sheik but lighter than Mario
Strength: 5 – Impa is decently strong, stronger than sheik but not as strong as Zelda
Speed: 7 – She’s pretty quick but not as fast as sheik

General Overview:
Impa is a character that doesn't have a gimmick like others (Although I did consider a magic meter but decided against it, thinking it was something that better suits Zelda), she’s quite simple yet effective and acts like the perfect mix between Zelda and Sheik, Matching Zelda's magic with sheik's speed and agility. She has decent power and speed along with a projectile and reflector.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I recently bought HW and I hope Impa becomes a DLC character, I`m currently maining both of her weapons and have almost all of her Heart containers and pieces, I really hope if she's included, it's at least with her HW design(which has the best designs for the Zelda characters imo), ignoring fan-created quotas(muh-female, muh-[input franchise here] rep), she could add a lot in term of uniqueness and playstyle:
  1. A BIG sword wielder(made of Ridley`s skin) and possibly the Naginata which you could call a japanese lance, which is also another weapon not used by any other character
  2. A new magic user, all of the currently magic users disapoint me on their movesets(Zelda and Palutena), HW Impa can manipulate both fire and water along with generic magic from SS, creating water blades, replicas of her sword and naginata
  3. Fast in movement but slow attacks with a lot of power on them
  4. A non-Triforce holder from the Zelda series(the lack of this seriously bugs me off)
  5. And finally, she would have one of the best FS: ULTIMATE WATER BLADES RAIN WITH GIANT WATER SWORDS FIRE NAGINATA SUPER FINISH COMBO!(imagine her YYYYX, YYYYYX(Giant Sword) and YYYX(Naginata) all combined into one move finishing with her Giant Sword Focus Spirit Special)

D

Deleted member

Why is this thread dying?? Impa's one of the most wanted and most likely characters and no one has said anything for almost a week
I dunno, I wouldn't say likely, there are two Impas, HW Impa and canon Impa. Canon Impa is boring imo and I tbh I didn't like the idea until her inclusion in HW which is the reason I want her, the problem is that we'll only get her if HW gets a sequel and becomes Zelda's Mario Kart.
In that case, it's looking good for the spin-off as it sold more than expected and HW is the cause of a boost to Wii U sales(according to Nintendo), she could come as a way to represent the spin-off as she is a recurring character and has become popular thanks to you-know-who, all the characters from HW are on-shots, are already playable in Smash or would receive a lot of backlash from the community due to being designed for that game(even though I would love Volga too), my only fear is that Skull Kid is one of the MM pack chars and due to MM3D he is included as a promotion gimmick

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I dunno, I wouldn't say likely, there are two Impas, HW Impa and canon Impa. Canon Impa is boring imo and I tbh I didn't like the idea until her inclusion in HW which is the reason I want her, the problem is that we'll only get her if HW gets a sequel and becomes Zelda's Mario Kart.
In that case, it's looking good for the spin-off as it sold more than expected and HW is the cause of a boost to Wii U sales(according to Nintendo), she could come as a way to represent the spin-off as she is a recurring character and has become popular thanks to you-know-who, all the characters from HW are on-shots, are already playable in Smash or would receive a lot of backlash from the community due to being designed for that game(even though I would love Volga too), my only fear is that Skull Kid is one of the MM pack chars and due to MM3D he is included as a promotion gimmick
She is one of the most wanted Zelda characters and just DLC character in general, the DLC poll proves that

Also I don't see what was boring about SS impa, she was a great character imo and could bring some interesting things to the table

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I highly doubt Skull Kid's chances considering he's already an assist trophy.

D

Deleted member

I highly doubt Skull Kid's chances considering he's already an assist trophy.
I don't think being an assist means anything, they're more like "honorable mentions", not "ha ha, you will never be playable", we're talking about DLC and before Mewtwo's announcement, people thought being a trophy was a deconfirmation(and Mewtwo seems to have been planned for some time as characters take one year to finish).
The only thing I would say could rule out the possibility of DLC is if Sakurai showed something against a character *cough*Ridley, Toad, Chrom*cough* or generally characters that would end up as clones as there is no point in having clones as DLC since they are a bonus for the base game
Wow, I wrote too much stuff in these two last posts, I have to calm down

Top Bottom