• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IF YOU PLAN ON ATTENDING SMASH-FEST SAT. CLICK HERE!

EverythingSmash

www.youtube.com/everythingsmash

So I was lucky enough to attend Smash-Fest on its first showing this Wednesday, but I know a lot of you are still hoping to attend this upcoming Saturday the 14th so I thought I’d make this “guide” to help out the experience for you, hope this helps!

Arrival:
( GOING TO DEPEND ON HOW POPULAR YOU BEST BUY IS )

-I got to the best buy, 7 hours before the event started. If I had to guess, I was likely the 60th-70th person in line. The first people in line arrived 12 hours before the event started.- Other people have said they arrived and hour or two before and still were close to the front, so you might want to call the best buy and ask how the showing was on the first day.

Suggested Supplies:

-Something to sit on: You will be sitting for a long amount of time, so bring something to sit on, a fold up chair, pillow, anything will be better then sitting on the floor.

-Food / Drinks: Waiting in line is no fun, waiting in line starving is even worst.

-Video Camera: This is the first time the public has had a chance to view the game, if they allow you to record do it! The more footage we get about the game, the more information the community can find out about it. ( The Best Buy I attended allowed people to record footage for a short amount of time )

-3DS w/ multiplayer game: It’s a large gathering of Nintendo fans so you’ll be able to use the street pass features on the system. + Brining a multiplayer game like Pokemon or Mario Kart really helps kill the wait time.

-CRT & Set Up: My local best buy had fans playing project M out side of the building using power from the best buy store. I’m sure not all locations will allow that, but I wouldn’t hurt to try would it?

Demo Information:

- All locations have the Wii U demo, but select stores have both the 3DS & Wii U demo’s available to try out.

- The Wii U version, you get (1) 4-Player Free For All , Time Match Stuck on 2 Min., w/ items on.

- The 3DS Version, you get to play (1) round of Free for All or (1) round of Smash Run (depending on the demo on the specific 3DS you’re using)

Characters Playable:

-Wii U version: Mario, Bowser, Rosalina, DK, Samus, Zero Suit, Link, Zelda, Villager, Pit, Kirby, Fox, Marth, Greninja, Pikachu, Olimar, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, & Sonic.

- 3DS version: Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, DK, Zelda, Sheik, Toon Link, Samus, Pit, Marth, Kirby, Little Mac, Fox, Pikachu, Greninja, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, & Sonic

Stages:

-3DS: Battlefield, Mushroom Kingdom 3DS, Rainbow Road, Zelda Bridge, Zelda Train, Pokemon X & Y stage, 3DS Fire Emblem Stage, Animal Crossing Island, 3DS Kid Icarus stage, & Nintendogs stage.

- Wii U: Battlefield, Mushroom Kingdom U, Skyloft, Town & City, Pilotwings, Fire Emblem Coliseum, Boxing Ring & Megaman Stage

Goodies:

- Inside the Best Buy there are flyers advertising the event, you might want to consider keeping one for collector purposes.

- You get the choice between 3 different smash bros items, a Smash Bros. Pin with just the Smash Ball emblem on it , a Smash Bros. Pin with the full logo, or a sticker sheet with both the Emblem and Logo.

- Pre-order "slip"

Final Tips:

- Plan ahead what your going to do in your match, if you want to see a certain move or taunt remember to do perform it, AT THE START before you get distracted with hype.

- 2 min. goes by awfully fast make the most of it.

- If you want to play on a certain stage DO IT quickly, without asking the other players

( Yes, you’re going to be screwing over the other 3 players who may have wanted a different stage, but in the end they’ll get over it quickly in the excitement of playing, and you’ll get to play on the stage you really wanted.)

- Although its VERY tempting to choose a newcomer, you might want to consider trying a character you use in previous games. Since you have nothing else to compare newcomers play style to, picking returning fighter may give you a better understanding of the games mechanics.

- ASK IF YOU CAN HAVE THE POSTERS ADVERTISING THE EVENT.
If you don’t they’ll likely be thrown in the trash.
______________________________________________________________________________________
If you want to check out some of the gameplay I recorded when I went to the event myself, check out the videos on my Youtube channel. ( www.youtube.com/everythingsmash )

If you have anymore questions about the event, don’t be afraid to ask. :)

Last edited:

Ya Dad

Smash Apprentice
Wow your Best Buy was packed. I got to mine just 4 hours early and I was #11 in line. Great guide though!

Wait, Sheik on the 3ds, but not the wiiu charracter selection screen? Zelda can DownB transform still.. right?

Wow, a lot of characters got axed on the WiiU demo. I wonder why.

Either way, I rode by bike to the event on wednesday. Stood for two hours waiting in line. Got to play for like 10 minutes. Another hour ride by bike back. No way am I going again on Saturday.

Maybe I would lol Good exercise.

EverythingSmash

Wow, a lot of characters got axed on the WiiU demo. I wonder why.

Either way, I rode by bike to the event on wednesday. Stood for two hours waiting in line. Got to play for like 10 minutes. Another hour ride by bike back. No way am I going again on Saturday.

Maybe I would lol Good exercise.
If I was you I would! I drove 2 hours to my best buy location waited in line all day and got to play the game for 2 min.Haha, if I had to chance to play it again for only a two hour wait I'd do it in a heart beat. :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wow your Best Buy was packed. I got to mine just 4 hours early and I was #11 in line. Great guide though!
When I went to last year's E3 Best Buy event, the line wasn't ridiculously long at my Best Buy location, but since only one person got to play at a time, that didn't end very well for me. I'm just hoping that my luck is good tomorrow, as I'm planning on heading to my participating Best Buy location earlier than with last year. And I'd think that the line would go faster with four people playing at the same time as well.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I can only go this weekend. it sucks. (It's going to be hell on earth when i get there)

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Is there anywhere to make requests for people to test thing? I really wanna know if the edges on Tortimer's Island can be grabbed.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
I guess you could say that haha. I broke my wristband though trying to take it off without breaking it :(
Did you not get yours as an automatic line cutter? I got mine because my group was literally the cut off point.

Nashimaki

Smash Cadet
The time you're going to play really depends on where you're going , at my store we got to play one smash run game (everybody tried it) and we got two 2 minutes FFA.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Me and my friends got there at 3:50 and waited for about 4 and a half hours before we were told that we were the cut off point. Fortunately though, we got these nifty wristbands that secure a spot at the front of the line on Saturday.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The time you're going to play really depends on where you're going , at my store we got to play one smash run game (everybody tried it) and we got two 2 minutes FFA.
Hopefully if the line isn't ridiculously long, you can get to do up to two matches before having to get off, but as usual, some Best Buy locations utilize different rules.

EverythingSmash

Is there anywhere to make requests for people to test thing? I really wanna know if the edges on Tortimer's Island can be grabbed.
I'm not going to be able to attend the second smash fest.The drive is just to far too make twice for me.You could ask on the smash bros. reddit!

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Good god, i am simply not that desperate to get one or two matches in. My best buy had one wii u edition going. If theyre gonna hype something like this up they gotta do it right and tour the country renting event halls, making it an all day thing.

Oh well, i got a twenty bucks off coupon for tropical freeze out of my wasted three hours. That game is hella fun

EverythingSmash

Good god, i am simply not that desperate to get one or two matches in. My best buy had one wii u edition going. If theyre gonna hype something like this up they gotta do it right and tour the country renting event halls, making it an all day thing.

Oh well, i got a twenty bucks off coupon for tropical freeze out of my wasted three hours. That game is hella fun
From what I'm hearing not all events were as packed as mine, if the best buys close you could always stop by and see how scary the line is. Who knows you might get lucky.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Lol I must be lucky. At my best buy I came in an Hour and a half early and I was only 5 people back. I'd say everyone came about 30 mins prior to it starting.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
It definitely varies. I got there about 30 minutes early, and was roughly 200th in line. They were out of some of the giveaways (the buttons and Mario Kart flags) by the time I got up, but had leftover Mario 3D World cat ears and stickers. I got to play two matches of 2 minute time. My friends got there when the event started, and before it got to them, they cut the number of matches down to 1. A lot of people were also given wristbands and sent home. We had the 3DS units, but a lot of people weren't trying them. I think they all had Smash Run, but I'm not entirely sure.

Due to the wrist bands, I would definitely go early on Saturday if you're planning on going at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You do need to wonder if you have an advantage by going to a participating Best Buy location that isn't mentioned on the Best Buy website. I guess one would think that a lesser known location would be less packed, especially if it's at a shopping mall that forbids loitering during the overnight hours.

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
You do need to wonder if you have an advantage by going to a participating Best Buy location that isn't mentioned on the Best Buy website. I guess one would think that a lesser known location would be less packed, especially if it's at a shopping mall that forbids loitering during the overnight hours.
There's other best buys participating? How would you know?

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Darn, from the looks of things, I don't want to go there tomorrow. ESPECIALLY if I'm going to have to wait for a long time with my lawn chair and iPhone.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
- If you want to play on a certain stage DO IT quickly, without asking the other players
lol I did this! Picked ASAP Wily's castle! I doubt I will try again tomorrow. Any news if people are camping out this night?

MrBond

Smash Cadet
Did anyone go to the SmashFest at the Chino Best Buy in california? I got there late at like 6:45 pst, and realized that being 300th in line I wouldn't get a shot at trying the game. Plus, I also heard that they shut the event down half an hour early. Since the one tomorrow starts at 12 and ends at 5, what time do you recommend that I go there? How many people were in line on Wednesday an hour before it started, 2 hours?

If anyone went to Chino, let me know :D

EverythingSmash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eivZbjEuPnE
excuse me, what song did you use for this video? i'm a long time fan of your content and have been dying to know forever haha
btw, thanks for the preparation tips!
Sorry, I have no idea what song that is, If I remember correctly I think it was made by an artist called Mr. Gltich, I did a quick youtube search but couldn't find the song, he's not super popular.But maybe if you find his sound cloud page or something you can find it best of luck, sorry I didn't credit the music in the about section of the video then! :(

EverythingSmash

Did anyone go to the SmashFest at the Chino Best Buy in california? I got there late at like 6:45 pst, and realized that being 300th in line I wouldn't get a shot at trying the game. Plus, I also heard that they shut the event down half an hour early. Since the one tomorrow starts at 12 and ends at 5, what time do you recommend that I go there? How many people were in line on Wednesday an hour before it started, 2 hours?

If anyone went to Chino, let me know :D
I actually attended the chino location, I'd say a few hour before and you should be fine, I would imagine some of the hard core fans went on the first day, won't be returning the second. Good luck! :)

MrBond

Smash Cadet
I actually attended the chino location, I'd say a few hour before and you should be fine, I would imagine some of the hard core fans went on the first day, won't be returning the second. Good luck! :)
Alright thanks. I've got something to do earlier in the day and if I can get it done early, I could probably get there at 11-12ish maybe...

Top Bottom