• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If I Can, You Can - Finding A Venue [Part 1]

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Welcome to the newest article in the If I Can, You Can series! What makes this series unique is that I will be personally following the advice I give to prove that what I am saying really works, so we can all learn from the experience. Last time we discussed how to host an online tournament, and the Sunday Sunday Sunday Smash born from this idea had 105 entrants on its first week!

As promised in the previous article, today's article will focus on finding a venue. There are two major kinds of venues--paid venues and free venues--so the process will be split into two articles to make sure each kind is thoroughly covered. To help show that anyone can start a local Smash scene, I'll be talking about free venues today. Hopefully this article will show that even tournament organizers with limited budgets can afford to get out there and get hosting. Let's talk about the most obvious options for free venues and go a little into the pros and cons of each.

Your House

This one is a classic. Many of the first and largest Smashfests in the early lifespan of Melee were humbly hosted in people's homes. This is by far the easiest to manage, since you personally don't have to lug around equipment and, coincidentally, you often live close to the venue! However, there are many issues with hosting in your home. To start, you have to convince strangers to go to a house they may have never been to before, and in this day and age, that may not be an easy task. If you get past that point, you then have to be ok with letting many potential strangers into your house; You may have to worry about your home being trashed, or the possibility of theft. Location is important, too: you might be too far away from the town to really get folks to come out, or you might be in an urban area where it's hard for people to even park cars. I personally can't recommend in-home Smash events--unless it's just a gaming night with people you already count as close friends--but if you have absolutely no other options and are feeling brave, you could attempt to make this work.

Community Centers

It's likely there are several community centers in your area that you could look into to see if they would let you host an event. These venues include places like local senior centers, churches, and local community action groups like the Lion's Club or Rotary International. If you are involved with or go to any of these places regularly, these should be rather accessible; however, therein lies the biggest con. If you aren't involved with these groups, it might not be as easy to get in there and get hosting. So, while they are not a workable option for some, they are an excellent resource for those who can use it.

Local Parks

A few years ago, the Wall Street Journal reported on a Smashfest that actually took place in a local park. This is the ultimate form of a free, no strings attached venue-- just find a public park where you can plug in and enjoy playing! Many local parks have pavilions and outlets to work with, as well as picnic tables where you can set-up your TVs and consoles. Depending on how frequented the park is, it's also a very unique way to show off how positive the Smash scene can be to the general public. You might even pick up some brand new Smash players this way!

Picture From The Wall Street Journal Of Smashers In The Park

One of the most obvious issues here is the weather. Winter will cause lots of problems considering the cold and snow, and if rain starts up, you'll find yourself more than likely having to hastily pack it up and head home. Some might be willing to brave the outdoors if it's a bit chilly or boiling hot, but others might just stay home. If you want to try and Smash in the park, be sure to keep an eye on the weather during scheduling and have a back up day planned in case the weather gets in the way. If you can weather the weather, it is an awesome and rare experience to play Smash outdoors and enjoy the fresh air.

Must-Haves

There are some things that are necessary for every venue for it to be successful. To start, you need to make sure there is enough space in your venue to comfortably fit everyone who plans on attending. You don't want to cause a fire hazard or cram too many players into a small space. Plus, tons of sweaty bodies squished together isn't exactly pleasant.

Next, you need to be sure you have enough electrical outlets. If you don't have enough places to get all of your setups plugged in, you'll have a hard time playing. You can always use power strips if you need to, just be sure to be careful and responsible with them.

Make sure you have a bathroom! The term "No Johns" does not apply in this situation! You really don't want to have tons of people coming to Smash that have to leave just because they've "got to go".

Finally, if you can, try to be close to food. Players need to eat, and the harder it is for them to get a quick bite, the more problems you'll have with your brackets running smoothly. If you want, you can always supply snacks for entrants, perhaps for a small fee--just make sure you're not breaking any local laws on selling food. Many places allow you to sell certain kinds of prepackaged food without a food license, but make sure you research to be safe!

---​

Hopefully, this helped you get started started in your hunt for a local, cheap venue for your Smash event. I personally decided to take my two year old daughter and TO in training out to help me scout out local parks! I'll be sharing pictures of our adventures today on my Twitter account to show first hand how to scout for a good venue, so be sure to follow me there! Also, don't forget to check out (and maybe sign up for) the Sunday Sunday Sunday Smash Tournament to get a taste of how online tournaments are run. I hope to see you here next time for If I Can, You Can: Finding A Venue [Part 2], where we'll talk about hunting for a paid venue!

Last edited:

waygu

Smash Lord
ah thank you based smashcapps, i needed this info

lmao 'no johns' joke

Last edited:

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
Yooo I'm all about nature! I've always thought of this but I didn't know if it was a viable option. I'm about to find a nice place with a bball court and enough outlets. I'll call Stoner's Smash Vol. 1: "Could you please take that outside?"

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Smash 64 Venues.. Don't exist. :(
What do you mean they don't exist? A single TV and a console plugged in in an easy to access place can be your venue. Make it a Smashfest if you have to to get it started, people will come to play and have a good time!

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
What do you mean they don't exist? A single TV and a console plugged in in an easy to access place can be your venue. Make it a Smashfest if you have to to get it started, people will come to play and have a good time!
Who would go?
64 is based around online.
Players are scattered and the biggest venue I could get would be with only 4 people MAX.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
In Taiwan, there's only minor online tournaments, and my house, playing with my brothers.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Who would go?
64 is based around online.
Players are scattered and the biggest venue I could get would be with only 4 people MAX.
You gotta start small and build. Yes Smash 64 has a lot of folks online, but there are live scenes as well. With strong advertising I think you could manage a decent showing. It'd probably be a lot of new folks to the scene, but that's not terrible really.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Park idea is genius, ill be bringing smash to the park this summer at least once

LipePereira

Smash Cadet
NNID
LipePereira
I would recommend schools and colleges as well. If you are a student, you are very likely to find help at your institution. A good example of this are the folks at my beloved University of Maryland, UMD smash. They host tournaments every week using the university facilities to do it.

Under the idea of creating an event that will promote your university on the community, with the chance of getting people from outside to get involved is always well seen by the higher ups, I myself am even earning some extra credit by organizing smash fests around here.

Just to clarify: I mention UMD because I spent a year and a half there in a exchange program, where I had the chance to participate In some tournaments. Right now I'm back in Brazil and starting a scene around here :)

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I'm surprised you didn't mention universities. Even for non-students, most universities have a Smash club and would be willing to host a tournament. If you are a student, that makes it even easier.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Ouch, trying to get a Melee scene set up at my University is a no-go.
I'm a Music major and most, if not all, music majors here take their position very seriously and a lot even scoff when I ask if they want to hang out and smash for a bit.

It's pretty disappointing.

CaptainPavelski

Smash Rookie
The park idea sounds great! There's a brand new soccer field (it's more like a court, tho) right next to where the outlets are. That should be an interesting mix XD

MasterHand86

Smash Rookie
New to this site. Theres a bar in Chelsea called Pioneers that plays smash on Thursdays and Fridays weekly. This could be a good way to recruit people/get the word out about a tournament. I will be there next Thursday. Let me know if anyone wants to meet there.

Mike Voss-Trikstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikevoss7
3DS FC
4098-4453-7864
New to this site. Theres a bar in Chelsea called Pioneers that plays smash on Thursdays and Fridays weekly. This could be a good way to recruit people/get the word out about a tournament. I will be there next Thursday. Let me know if anyone wants to meet there.
A bar? I would go but my age...

Faty

Smash Rookie
Them good ol' house tournaments tho.
I've had several in my garage lol. With the garage door open and severla fans the of course. South Texas garages are basically hell on earth in the summer.

Top Bottom