• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climber stages

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
So i have multiple money matches against IC's at an upcoming tournament. my experience against IC's is literally a friend that plays casually. so im looking for some information to help me.

What stages do IC's like and dislike? thanks guys!

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
It depends on the player and the mu.
ICs don't really have a bad stage, just little problems on different stages.

I'm definitely a small stages IC. My go to stage is Yoshi's, then FoD, then BF.
But a lot of ICs are the opposite and like having space on FD, Dreamland, and stadium.

Most people auto-ban FD against ICs, which is fair in a few matchups, but it depends. Generally, most IC players when they are new are told "ICs are broken on FD because it was chu's best stage back in 2003" so most ICs are super comfortable there, even if its not their best stage in a particular mu.

That said, a lot of ICs (and smashers in general) are super lazy about their CPs and just auto CP fd if its not banned.

Captain Earth

Smash Rookie
I like to have a lot of space as the ICs it gives more more space for setups. The thing about me is my favorite stages are FD Dreamland and yoshi's. I like those stages more because they are the ones i have practiced more on than the other stages and on those stages i am most comfortable with the platforms and how to manipulate them to my advantage, what i am saying is that you should practice on stages see which ones you are comfortable with in terms of movement and how you play. and practice more on 3 stages than the other 3 and you will be able to decide which stage is good for you.

As Derf said ICs dont have a bad stage so you can basically choose which stages are good for you and which are not as good for you.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
alright, thanks for the insight guys.

as for matchups im either going to go marth or if i cant get my set up back in time probably fox.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
alright, thanks for the insight guys.

as for matchups im either going to go marth or if i cant get my set up back in time probably fox.
Marth is a pretty rough MU if you play it correctly. It requires a fair bit of techskill and mu knowledge from the marth side (primarily how to use dtilts effectively).
I would recommend, if you have fluid movement and know how to dash dance effectively, either going to dreamland, fd, or battlefield.
But it really depends on the IC. If they don't have a solid yoshi's game, or really know how to abuse marth without room to dd, marth can cheese them there for sure.

Last edited:

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
I really like going to yoshi's and fountain so I can up smash through the platforms. Every other stage you have to get off the ground to cover the platforms.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
all info i will keep in mind,

which match up do you dislike more? fox or marth
Depends on how good the Fox is. If it's a really good Fox that can separate and KO Nana quickly than honestly I'd rather deal with Marth. Marths, however, tend to cause more trouble on average I'd say.

Captain Earth

Smash Rookie

I agree with Cervidae that a really good and fast fox who is confident and able to waveshine nana to death consistantly is more difficult, however a Marth how is really good at spacing is also very tough since spaced fairs and d-tilts are very difficult to get around and traditionally an IC player will just desync blizzard to keep Marth away.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
im a much more experienced marth player but my lack of a memory card means i cannot practice any marth, so ive been practicing fox. guess ill have to see how i feel tournament day to pick

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941

Marth is overall the harder matchup at a higher level, but I think it's a lot easier for fox to learn what he has to do.
Fox can kind of cheese ICs who don't have good situational awareness really easily as well (marth can too, but it's harder).
At the same time though, every IC ever knows for to 0-death fox for free, so it you're not real comfortable with your tech stuff, it could be pretty difficult.

I'd say just use whichever character you're more comfortable with and watch a lot of videos of the mu.
I really like the way PPU plays marth/ICs, and SFAT is really good at fox/ics.
There are also a fair amount of mid-level players who are pretty solid at it too, which I feel are even more helpful to watch because you'll see a lot of situations at mid-level that you wouldn't at high level, so it's good to learn to identify those.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
My post is now irrelevant, gg.
To be fair though, half the time I post here, I just repeat things wobbles says that make sense to me.

I'm still a believer in marth, but fox is definitely a little ****.
Marth's punish game on ICs is nowhere as strong though, but marth with a lead is the scariest thing in melee.

I have a lot of opinions that probably only make sense in my head though, and might be more theory based than my actual experience, so I'll shut up now.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
My post is now irrelevant, gg.
To be fair though, half the time I post here, I just repeat things wobbles says that make sense to me.

I'm still a believer in marth, but fox is definitely a little ****.
Marth's punish game on ICs is nowhere as strong though, but marth with a lead is the scariest thing in melee.

I have a lot of opinions that probably only make sense in my head though, and might be more theory based than my actual experience, so I'll shut up now.
It's pretty easy to sound dumb on this forum lol (not that it's particularly a bad thing.) Is that standard for smashboards or is it more unique to the ICs forum?

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I dunno, I feel like the IC boards are one of the least dumb places on this site.
Samus boards are pretty cool too.
Other than that most places can be pretty void of intelligence, or just stuck in 2008-2011

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
the not S tier character mains are way more dedicated to finding out every little thing out and i give them all mad respect,

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I mean... I really like the IC boards and the Samus boards. Both are pretty focused on developing the character most of the time.
The Doc boards have a couple dudes every once in awhile...
Yoshi boards are cool too.
Most of the other ones are mostly just complaining about their characters limitations. Or just worshiping top players and not exploring anything that they don't do (peach boards are especially guilty here).
A couple of them have had like periods of intense developmental drive, but it usually fizzles out.

As a whole these days, people just don't seem to want to share information as much as they used to. At least here.
I'm not sure why.

RazeriaN

Smash Cadet
I wish there was a stage match-up pie chart. I'm equally as good (Or bad) in every stage, and really have no preference. I would like to know what to ban/pick for every matchup.

Edit : Like, I know that Marth mains usually dislike Dreamland, so I try playing them in that stage. But IDK about the rest of the cast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom