• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IC N00b Inquiry

Peches

Smash Rookie
Hey, so I am a Melee n00b who wants to get good enough to go to tournaments. However, I have literally no skills completely mastered, such as wavedashing, L-cancelling or a solid wobble. I just wanted to know from all the IC mains out there: What skills are the MOST important to learn first as a scrub? I need a list from most to least important to work off of. I've been working on my wavedash then wobbling then short-hopping, but my boyfriend (Fox main) told me that short-hopping should come first. What do you think?

Thank you so much,
Kelsey/Peches

Smog

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't really matter. Its like picking which piece of the puzzle to start with. As long as you end up learning all the skills it doesn't matter which you pick first. Its not like you are gonna win the first tournament you go to, so just start with something and move on to the next skill once you master it.

Riskbreaker

Smash Rookie
I would say shorthopping would be a tad more important.
It's easy to learn how to wavedash, but learning the applications for it, when to use it, and so on can be a little daunting until your skill level increases.
being able to do shorthopped aerials and such is a good place to start in my opinion.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
Definitely start with the fundamental skills that transcend each character. This would include short hops, wave-dashes, L-Cancels, and dash dances. Since ICs utilize their wave dash and have unique properties associated with their dash dance, an argument could be made that these skills are all incredibly important to make use of. If you're just starting, it's important that you familiarize yourself with these techniques and to frequently try to implement them into your game so that they become second nature. These skills will develop overtime naturally, but it's also important that you spend some time practicing them as well, if at all possible.

Once you feel comfortable with your movement, then I'd recommend starting to dabble more into Ice Climber specific technology, such as desyncs and wobbling. Some people warn against learning to wobble early into your ICs career, but I personally think it is important to understand how and why it works. This can help prevent mindlessly trying to wobble off every grab you get, but it doesn't remedy excessive grab attempts, so be wary of that.

Here are some guides to help you start out:
SleepyK's SSBM Competitive Beginner Guide: Incredibly dense, but an awesome resource. Check out the practice section, specifically.
Derf's Ice Climbers FAQ + Useful Links: I very useful, comprehensive list of all the main Ice Climber guides out there to help you get started. There's a lot of material, but all of it is very informative and useful. Also, it's listed in a suggested reading order, which is something that you specifically asked for!

Hope I didn't yak your ear off! Good luck with practice and have fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom