• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I found some new Luigi tech...

Mr. Thee

Smash Rookie
(I posted this before on reddit, but due to the craziness of the Smash 3ds demo it got buried.)

I believe that I've found a way to set-up perfect backwards wavelands with luigi in melee (and possibly also in PM).

Similar to how Ganondorf mains perform a double-jump to set-up their waveland follow-ups, luigi has an aerial animation state where he is MUCH more capable of performing a perfect backwards waveland. Now, I'm a bit of a scrub as weegee and my current perfect waveland consistency rate hovered around 20% at best, but with this technique I can perform perfect backwards wavelands with a 80% consistency rate, which I'm sure with practice can reach 90%+ consistency.

So luigi has 8 aerial animation states from which he can perform aerial attacks:
  1. Forward 1st Jump (classic one-fist-in-the-air jump)
  2. Backflip 1st Jump
  3. Forward 2nd Jump (does a little twirl)
  4. Backward 2nd Jump (spins around like Sanic)
  5. Forward Fall after 1st Jump (makes small circles with arms)
  6. Backward Fall after 1st Jump (also makes small circles but is leaning back. Hold back on the stick to enter it)
  7. Forward Fall after 2nd Jump (leans forward, arms pointed forward and back)
  8. Backward Fall after 2nd Jump (same as above but leans back. Hold back on the stick to enter it)
The interesting state is state 6, his Backward Fall after 1st Jump state. From this state I can consistently perform perfect backwards wavelands (completely horizontal input on the stick). Now, where's the "technique" to all this?

It's not so much a technique as it is a set-up. You see, it actually takes a long time for luigi to enter state 6. There's not enough time in a single short-hop to reach that animation state. HOWEVER, after performing any standard aerial attack, Luigi will enter either state 5 or 6 (5 if you're holding forward on the stick, 6 if back), regardless of his previous aerial state. Bair will let him enter this state the fastest (uair also works kinda).

So the set-up is: Short-hop --> bair ASAP --> lean-back by the end of bair --> now in state 6 --> input waveland.

And I've been able to pull-off perfect wavelands with pretty solid consistency this way. While the setup itself telegraphs like crazy, I feel like this can have some potential use, especially as a techchase option.

Thoughts?

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
While the setup itself telegraphs like crazy, I feel like this can have some potential use, especially as a techchase option.
The telegraphing has so far been my biggest deterrent from incorporating perfect wavelands, but using only the short-hop this might be viable. The aerial may also help to guard against Luigi's vulnerability while airborne, i'll have to give this a shot!

Last edited:

Scruffy_Scoundrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scruffy_Avenger
3DS FC
1805-3603-6917
I was recently practicing my luigi and I think I stumbled upon this same trick. I was trying to get consistent Hax dashes and I kept failing until I started waiting until luigi was in state 6, then I was able to do perfect Hax dashes about 7 times in a row.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
not computing. Gonna reread later to try and understand.

EDIT:
So by state you mean animation. Looked at the hack pack and his hurtboxes indeed shift slightly when entering state 6...but it didn't seem to help to get a wave land.

I did some wavelanding from each state and did't notice any difference in timing.

The only explanation that I see is that pressing backwards or forwards to get into this 'state', you are putting your joystick in a better position to perform the perfect angle when you press the airdodge input. It makes it easier in the sense that you only need to move your joy stick slightly rather than completely from neutral.

Last edited:

ZEN 777

Smash Rookie
I'm also a bit confused, as to why this is useful. I would love to see a video of this in action.

Especially if this improves Hax dashing.

Jelson

Smash Cadet
no he does not
Oh.

Well addressing the OP, maybe it changes his ECB in some noticeable way? I like to do so with back airs to unexpectedly land on platforms and sometimes on stage when it looks like I shouldn't be able too. Up air has the same properties but the furthest hit box on Luigi's back air is just too good (also it gives a better visual of when to L-cancel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom