• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How too trick your opponent?

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
So I've been following the zero to hero series, and I loved how Tafokints explained his many mixups from when he's opponent are shielding by the edge and he's whiffing a fair just too see the reaction. (explained like 6-7 different options he go for). Does Luigi got something simillar?

I feel like only the presence are a good option, cause Luigi can't really whif any attacks despite jab (not great range), because jumping is a commitment they can turn around on you. And the fastest move with lot of range is ftilt, but if they react on that they can get away.

Are there some other things you guys like to do on elsewhere on stage that's worth mentioning?
I see that Eddy like to check if the opponent likes to roll towards him after a dthrow, for a potentional upB/regrab forexample.

PS: I would love to see a Luigi main analyzing a set, would be great to get some inputs how they think during situations.

Verda Stelo

Smash Apprentice
You don't necessarily have to whiff a move to see how your opponent reacts to it. With enough focus and experience (I cannot overstate how important experience is in the development of this skill), you can remember how your opponent reacted to any situation and with that knowledge you can build and subsequently subvert expectations. What you're asking here is basically "How do I play mindgames?" and the answer is simple: play mindgames.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Luigi has pretty functional moves to do to an opponent on shield

Overall, your kit should do the following
F-Tilt - Standard poke that can stab for light damage and keep opponent in shield
D-Smash - You should be trading liberally with this if they hit you with something CC-able. It's also good if to catch opponents retreating or if you get underneath them. Great combo starter
D-air - So good and meaty, it eats shields and is a good technique to do if you read a spot-dodge. Also, you can cover yourself with a desperation N-air if D-air doesn't hit

Some ideas include

Wavedash --> Grab
Wavedash --> D-Smash
Wavedash --> Jab --> Grab
Wavedash --> Dair
Wavedash --> Have presence (force them to use shield up) --> poke
Wavedash --> F-tilt

A lot of Luigi's ground mixups come from just soild Footsies (think of Ryu or Chun in street fighter) and then playing off the situation.

Is their shield small?
Are they spot dodging alot?
Are they rolling?

Last edited:

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
Luigi has pretty functional moves to do to an opponent on shield

Overall, your kit should do the following
F-Tilt - Standard poke that can stab for light damage and keep opponent in shield
D-Smash - You should be trading liberally with this if they hit you with something CC-able. It's also good if to catch opponents retreating or if you get underneath them. Great combo starter
D-air - So good and meaty, it eats shields and is a good technique to do if you read a spot-dodge. Also, you can cover yourself with a desperation N-air if D-air doesn't hit

Some ideas include

Wavedash --> Grab
Wavedash --> D-Smash
Wavedash --> Jab --> Grab
Wavedash --> Dair
Wavedash --> Have presence (force them to use shield up) --> poke
Wavedash --> F-tilt

A lot of Luigi's ground mixups come from just soild Footsies (think of Ryu or Chun in street fighter) and then playing off the situation.

Is their shield small?
Are they spot dodging alot?
Are they rolling?
Honestly couldn't explain it better. Only addition I'd make is Wavedash -> UpSmash as a mixup to DSmash when a lot of players start to hop over it. (usually Falcons and Foxes)

This exact list is pretty much the neutral game kit of Luigi. Literally almost everything I do is a variation on this list at different timings/spacings and after different movement tricks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom