• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Superspright

Smash Lord
It's weird, people are less salty about losing to other mid tiers than Ganon.
When I beat people they often never shake my hand, ask my name, or even acknowledge what happened. They just get 2-0'd have a blank stare on their face get up and go get schooled by someone else I guess. They don't even ask to play friendlies, or how to learn the match-up. They just get *****. I love being underestimated. Makes it sweeter. Like coming in after a hot day and taking a cold shower...

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
ganondorf makes people so salty. i guess that's a perk of playing a character that nobody respects.
Happened to me at combo breaker. Not vs the pikachu, he was cool, but some rando peach. I overheard his friend ******** at him "dude it was ganondorf, come on..."

All I could think of was ***** I'll stomp your scrub ass too, get at me

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
When I beat people they often never shake my hand, ask my name, or even acknowledge what happened. They just get 2-0'd have a blank stare on their face get up and go get schooled by someone else I guess. They don't even ask to play friendlies, or how to learn the match-up. They just get *****. I love being underestimated. Makes it sweeter. Like coming in after a hot day and taking a cold shower...
It was the opposite for me, they asked me if I was the Ganon main that had close sets with [Florida Player], Prob cause I got dreads tho :/, they respect the Locks

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
One time I was playing against this Sheik and I heard someone trying to explain the matchup to his friend and he said something along the lines of, "see that's all Ganons got: fair and jab. That's pretty much all we're going to see." Shortly after that I was put on the ledge and I did a ledgehop run off double jump waveland behind grab on the sheik. The guy was like "Oh yeah I suppose Ganon can also do that." Eventually he shut up completely when I started just railing on the sheik. The dude was a salty and he was just a ****ing spectator! Ganon even makes the crowd salty!

Superspright

Smash Lord
One time I was playing against this Sheik and I heard someone trying to explain the matchup to his friend and he said something along the lines of, "see that's all Ganons got: fair and jab. That's pretty much all we're going to see." Shortly after that I was put on the ledge and I did a ledgehop run off double jump waveland behind grab on the sheik. The guy was like "Oh yeah I suppose Ganon can also do that." Eventually he shut up completely when I started just railing on the sheik. The dude was a salty and he was just a ****ing spectator! Ganon even makes the crowd salty!
Mango has put it into everyone's heads that Ganondorf is a **** character and is unviable--maybe that's true against like 10 people. For the rest of the mortals we do just fine.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I had a lot of fun at EVO, meeting Joe and Tm for the first time was freaking great. :) The only gripe I had was lack of setups. I was a little disappointed because I had very little time to warm up and actually play the best that I could, and ended up getting double sheiked in both pools. I'm probably going to take a break from this game; that or I really should consider switching mains.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
**** THAT JASON I'm gonna beat that ass. Don't let your work schedule body you more than it already has. All you gotta do is play more.

Coastward

Smash Lord
well i think i found my biggest weakness finally: slow wd oos and slow reactions after crouch cancel. sucks that its harder to practice that **** alone but imma try.

hopefully i get that **** down before big house.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Mango has put it into everyone's heads that Ganondorf is a **** character and is unviable--maybe that's true against like 10 people. For the rest of the mortals we do just fine.
I think Mang0 has said that Ganon could be good if there were better ganon mains, and I think it was a match (Kage vs Dj Nintendo GOML) he says "Ganon is not as bad as people make him out"

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
But we supposed to care about some goodwill ass controller -_-? You wanna go bro?! Cause yoshi's ain't that far from here, we play for fish

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Bruh if you call someone in advance and give them $5 you got a good chance. Come on now.

I heard Colin (colbol for the lurkers) and gahtzu are showing up.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I ain't even got facebook make a post in one if the melee groups son. I ain't gonna hold your hand lol

Edit: I'd give you a ride but I drive a performance truck that requires premium and gets 8MPG average. Even I try to get rides sometimes.

We could get there quickly tho
https://youtu.be/akSAHOX63z8

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also I'll watch your match later Ian and critique if you want. For those if you that don't know, Ian is #1 Ganon in the world vs falcon currently.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I had a lot of fun at EVO, meeting Joe and Tm for the first time was freaking great. :) The only gripe I had was lack of setups. I was a little disappointed because I had very little time to warm up and actually play the best that I could, and ended up getting double sheiked in both pools. I'm probably going to take a break from this game; that or I really should consider switching mains.
Nice to finally meet you too, man.

... but what is this **** about you switching? Nah bro. I'm gonna try and innovate like Tipman and get back to you. You'll fall in love with ganon all over again.

well i think i found my biggest weakness finally: slow wd oos and slow reactions after crouch cancel. sucks that its harder to practice that **** alone but imma try.

hopefully i get that **** down before big house.
I had that problem with my CCs as well. I find it's easier to predict a move by crouch canceling and then "confirm" it once you're hit, as opposed to just waiting and seeing. CC when you think falcon is gonna nair, wait to get hit, and then auto jab / grab.

As for wavedashing out of shield, a good way to get down the timing is to buffer the jump with the c-stick. Shield, let your opponent hit you, and at the same time as you're getting hit, hold up on the c-stick. You'll jump as soon as the shield stun wears off, so you'll get a pretty good feel of the amount of shield stun for each move. Once you have that down, just wavedash out whenever the shield stun wears off in stead of buffering your jump.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Had a chance to play some good games with smilez, linguini, Blea, and porkchops the past few days. It is so tough taking games from these guys lol. I've been brainstorming and trying to constantly give myself reminders to make the good **** I do more habitual, while slowly identifying and chipping away at my bad habits and things I do that limit my options. I made some quick notes on different things (mindgames, techs, setups, etc) I want to keep in mind while playing, and as usual, I'll share.

Empty shorthops

Empty sh perfect wL

side-b edge cancel DL64, YS, PS

AC bair

FH dair NIL jab/tilt/side-b

ASDI grabs

Defensive shield drops

They want to bait the shieldgrab!

Start tippy spike away from edge, drift in (priority)

LH RUNOFF DJ WL

Run cancel jab

ASDI (down+in)low ftilt

CC percentages (free grabs)

CALMLY SDI and tech

Jab OOS

****ing UP-B

Platform camping

Whiffed b-move, ASDI jab/grab

Empty sh to ftilt

Usmash to jab

Jab to dair pop-up timing (non-ff)

AC bair on shield (fp ff)

Retreating uair scoop ff AC to jab

Reverse up-b recovery

CC dtilt

Jump to plat, drop through bair

Perfect wL jump momentum

Techchase on plat with GRAB

General uthrow mixups

DD grab bait tech

Shield DI shine

LH RUNOFF

High ftilt

DI during ledgedash options

In neutral: run up, wd back, dash jc grab.

Pivot grabs in neutral

AC bair timing out of dj

Edge cancel wL

Pivot jab & tilts

BF: edge of plat, drop, ff, hold out, auto ledge cancel grab ledge

Pivot aerials

Avoid unnecessary movements

One more thing we all need to do more is grab more. We've all been saying this for a while but it's time to think about setups more.

I've upgraded my grab game vs fox lately by pivot grabbing more. Ganon's DD gets better at baiting approaches the less you use it. Since my neutral game vs fox is centered around the usual jab, ftilt, dtilt, sh uair, AC bair, fh dair (spaced aerials and walls via ground game), etc.... I am able to bait the sh nair and pivot grab it with little effort (they "know" the aerial is coming and know they can beat it, so they approach more without thinking twice somewhat often). Then you can act like you are trying to bait an approach with DD again and bair instead. Once you are in his head hits decision making will take a hit.

One really great mindgame in neutral vs fox is dash up to him, wd back, immediately dash jc grab forward. Pair this with the occasional walk up and dsmash (charged if practical) and you can really keep him guessing under pressure.

Generally, when you have a fastfaller "trapped" near the ledge, this is a GREAT time to tomahawk. Remember how much they fear the fist at that point. They'll shield. Setup example: Jab their shield, dash away, sh for bair, if he's shielding land and turnaround grab instead. Uthrow will then force them to choose between teching on the plat and going offstage.

Grabbing luigi out of his wd is OP. Remember how much of a commitment it is. Read his wd or ledgedash and just grab. Dash grab if you want since it has 3 frames of grabbox (lol) instead of 2. They key is having the grabbox out and he flies into it. This is how you beat luigi. Uair city.

^^ this also works for any WD that is a hefty commitment (G&W, mew2, marth etc). In dittos, anticipate a ledgedash jab attempt that won't be invincible and grab. BODIED. This is even a legitimate mixup vs Marth's ledgedash at low%, especially if you don't have time to set up for a bair/fair.

In dittos, if you're below 40%, you can ASDI grab Ganons jab. When you shield a fair, begin holding down and in as soon as you start the shieldgrab. If you get jabbed, immediately grab again (either R/L + A or standing jc). This works on like any jab at high%

PS, if you guys think I post a lot now, I'm about to get ($60/mo) Metro PCS fully unlimited 4G LTE so I'll be posting examples and doing critiques more.

Versus Gaming Center tournament tomorrow night, hopefully we'll have.....

Linguini
Tipman
Ace
Blea
Rula
zidane
porkchops
happy hydra
smilez
colbol
gahtzu
sloth
Saucy tho
Prof
Mr F (swedish delight's brother)
Lex
The Author
Elliott
Animal Control
Wes Jr
Mesa
And one day, spider_sense

#20GT

:denzel:

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
You know you have a falco problem when Fox and falcon mains use falco against you because they know you can beat their mains. I need someone to train with that is a good falco so I can actually practice what I watch.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
You know you have a falco problem when Fox and falcon mains use falco against you because they know you can beat their mains. I need someone to train with that is a good falco so I can actually practice what I watch.
pft that's nothing. I had a Sheik main CP Marth against me cuz of how bad I am in that MU

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
The hard thing abou learning matchups is you can study them all you want, but it won't help if you never get to practice what you study outside of tournament. Or it'll just take a lot of tournaments.

Top Bottom