• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
In all seriousness, what do you guys go for in neutral vs fox? What should i be looking for? I got crushed by a fox so i'm looking to study where i went wrong.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You need to be patient (don't play patiently, just don't push exchanges unless you're art least going to trade) and wait for any opening.

Bait him and punish, stay mobile. Be selective with grab, but when you get one try to make the best of it.

Don't give him control by staying within dash sh nair range. Unless you're currently in his face trying to **** him up, stay just outside that range where you can actually contest his approach.

Tough subject.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
It's ok to be in dd sh nair range if you are at cc percent. Cc nairs and punish with grab or jab. If he crosses you up you can ftilt sometimes.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X True but I don't think you should exactly force that situation to happen in neutral although it is good defense.

I have a slightly different approach since I'm halfway afraid of his shine (one shine usually means death combo more so than with Falco, not to mention the range difference) I can SDI the shine and get out but not super consistently.

Linguini

Smash Master
LMFAO

As far I can tell no one here know's anything about fighting luigi with ganon from these recent posts....or have just never played a luigi good in the matchup. It's an even matchup; luigi is actually a really underrated character, def better than ganon. Luigi has some of the best (and safest) edgeguards against ganon in the game.

I've destroyed all the best luigi's in my time..ka master, abate, blea etc.

Blea is the only one who knows the ganon matchup, and he's really fvcking good at it thanks to yours truly. I'd bet any amount of money on that mexican mario main vs any ganon.

Ian you should be able to handle abate. If you've played blea it will be leagues easier than him. It's all about baiting luigi to wavedash in and punishing accordingly. To do this full jump aerial or sh aerial but conserve your second jump. Once he's commited, landing an aerial off the other jump is cake.

When luigi's try to jab---> grab you can cc it into grab...lol it's kind of broken and the jab will turn you around so it matters not if he is behind you. Only blea knows how to avoid this because he times the jabs perfectly.

jab---> grab works well at low percents. also get up attack to instant jab works when he up b's.

Good luck peeps, i'm washed up and retired..carry on the legacy

peace

Divinokage

Smash Legend
LMFAO

As far I can tell no one here know's anything about fighting luigi with ganon from these recent posts....or have just never played a luigi good in the matchup. It's an even matchup; luigi is actually a really underrated character, def better than ganon. Luigi has some of the best (and safest) edgeguards against ganon in the game.

I've destroyed all the best luigi's in my time..ka master, abate, blea etc.

Blea is the only one who knows the ganon matchup, and he's really fvcking good at it thanks to yours truly. I'd bet any amount of money on that mexican mario main vs any ganon.

Ian you should be able to handle abate. If you've played blea it will be leagues easier than him. It's all about baiting luigi to wavedash in and punishing accordingly. To do this full jump aerial or sh aerial but conserve your second jump. Once he's commited, landing an aerial off the other jump is cake.

When luigi's try to jab---> grab you can cc it into grab...lol it's kind of broken and the jab will turn you around so it matters not if he is behind you. Only blea knows how to avoid this because he times the jabs perfectly.

jab---> grab works well at low percents. also get up attack to instant jab works when he up b's.

Good luck peeps, i'm washed up and retired..carry on the legacy

peace
Sure you should sidebet on him, I always have that warrior magic all these peasant top players dont have. Doesnt matter if he knows the matchup perfectly or not.

Sazen

Smash Rookie
So yeah, I was wondering how drastic is the nerf to Ganon's fair in PAL, and how much better is bair? The reason for this is that I play against this Ganon (Jebuzer, a pleb) time to time on 20XX and since I'm from Europe I of course play PAL Fox, so I was curious that how how much does it affect to play against NTSC Ganon. And yeah yeah Fox is still dumb with the waveshines etc, but I was curious to know just how much worse is PAL fair basically.

Thanks for the answers /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
So yeah, I was wondering how drastic is the nerf to Ganon's fair in PAL, and how much better is bair? The reason for this is that I play against this Ganon (Jebuzer, a pleb) time to time on 20XX and since I'm from Europe I of course play PAL Fox, so I was curious that how how much does it affect to play against NTSC Ganon. And yeah yeah Fox is still dumb with the waveshines etc, but I was curious to know just how much worse is PAL fair basically.

Thanks for the answers /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
It is always better to get a bair in pal. Fair still has that massive hitbox, it's just not nearly As devastating.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
The stage ruleset for SMYM is sooooo so so so legit. Stadium is banned! Downright banned. **** YES MIDWEST SMASH! And some more of us in the Champaign smash group are trying to convince the TOs to make Brinstar a legal counterpick.

I think that bringing back Brinstar and outright banning pokemon stadium is the right move and the way of the future. I know we're biased as ganons, but what do y'all think?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm most fine with banning them both.

I'd take on brinstar to add to the list before replacing PS with it.

Edit: brain fart. Accidentally typed KJ64.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Brinstar was a great cp vs IC's, luigi, spacies, or anyone dependent on ground speed. It would be a good counter to the (20XX) soon to be all spacies/sheik/marth in top 10 in nationals.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I'm undecided on that one and here's why. It definitely makes the counterpick against a character like fox / falco better because they can't play on FD or stadium. But let's say you go the typical spacies route: you go to battlefield and win, they pick to FoD or something, ban yoshi's, and you're stuck with DL.

Fox already has so much of an advantage as it is and making brinstar a legal counterpick can kind of level the playing field in the favor of characters like peach, falcon, jiggs and ganon. The only jiggs player that I've seen who can keep up with anything above mediocre foxes in 20XX is hbox. The fox will ban brinstar and it gives jigglypuff a counterpick that is slightly in jiggs favor, as a counterpick should be.

Fox / Falco can now ban one stage: yoshi's or brinstar. Take your pick.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The falcos that know ganondorf ban BF often as well. YS has more reliable combo potential for falco than does BF. Depends on their style.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Just did 4 dash pivot jabs in a row. Sooooo many accidental dash attacks tho lol. Still not bad for winning exchanges against various approaches.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
suicided vs abate game 3 and we were both past 70% and on our last stock. as per usual, it wasn't recorded, nor were any of my pools matches, and my only match that would have made it on stream didn't happen because of some silly shenanneygans.

beat everyone else in my pool 2-0, lost 0-2 to toph in bracket. wasn't ready to play and my momentum/mood pretty much entirely dissipated after the 3 hour long intermission between pools/bracket and the **** that happened beforehand.

pretty depressing tournament overall imo. i just want evo to happen already.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I wonder if the stage list was

Neutral:
BF
YS
DL64

Counterpick:
Brinstar
PS

One ban in a bo3, DSR for bo5.

We'd be gucci

:denzel:

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yesterday was a sad day. It marked the first day since October that I lost to a sheik that was lower than my skill level. Not getting grabbed is hard as ****.

Brinstar is legit dude, I really hope it can be legal in SMYM

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Yesterday was a sad day. It marked the first day since October that I lost to a sheik that was lower than my skill level. Not getting grabbed is hard as ****.

Brinstar is legit dude, I really hope it can be legal in SMYM
Was it that Clue guy? Never even heard of him. Is he from Chicago?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yup, it was. I have no idea dude. He's a scrub lord, he just was really good at getting grabs and chain grabbing. I beat him outright game 1, game two I abandoned my patient strats (never a good idea), game three I got back into mindset, but SD'd ****ing twice! VERY unfortunate because it was still down to the last stock when he got the grab and won. Those SDs will getcha.

I've lost now to four players in a week that I SHOULD NOT lose to.

I have beaten: Sizzle, Gem, and Ten.

But this last week, I lost to Sizzle (although Sizzle even admitted that the set should have been mine after that SD spike lol, so that's not TOO bad), Gem (SUPER SUPER SUPER lame Marth, decent, but got wrecked by me last time), and Ten (Never ever lost to ten before after like 6 sets... never even lost a game and then I just drop a set this past week).

And then Clu. Zero fundamentals whatsoever... but never dropped a CG and suiciding twice is a death sentence as ganon because then you have to approach (which I don't do vs competent sheiks).

I'm in a little bit of a slump and I can feel it in my play. Oh well. I'd take a break, but I want the points for the leader board lol. If I could just maintain the results I had the past month, I'd be in this.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
My tech skill is leveling up again. Here's some stuff I've been grinding lately.

I can now pivot on both sides. Left side is not fully consistent, but it's good enough to use in games without ****ing up most of the time. Right side is super consistent. I do perfect pivots every time. I can walk myself across FD doing perfect pivots from left to right. I can also dash pivot every time without fail and pivot jump. I'm just trying to come up with some ideas for what I could use dash pivot for.

I'm starting to expand my options out of shield drops. I can now get the hitbox of fair out so it hits the platform out of a shield drop. Not totally consistent with that timing yet, but it's cool. Like imagine someone's pressuring your shield on a platform and boom, they get faired. Also getting perfect wavelands down out of shield drop. One specific use for it I'm practicing is shield dropping into a waveland that carries me to the ledge.

I'm also expanding my options out of the running shield drops. I can do them 100%, it's just my use of them is very limited. I pretty much only do it from the top platform to come down on people faster with aerials. I really only do like uair out of it from the lower platforms. But I've gotten down the timing of bair now, so I can do that on all stages but pokemon and yoshi's. Not quite fast enough on those stages yet. Once I can consistently do bair on those stages, I'm going learn to do fair out of it. I doubt I can do it on Yoshi's or pokemon, but I think I can get it out on all the other stages. And finally, I'm doing wavelands out of this. Uses are dropping out of the platform and wavelanding in towards center stage, or dropping into a waveland that carries me to the ledge, like what I'm doing wtih regular shield drops.

My main goal is to be so good at the 1 frame platform drops that I literally never drop through a platform normally. Ever. After I master this **** I'm gonna start doing things like pivot into platform drop, running backwards out of crouch, and jumping backwards while changing the direction I face out of a jump.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
man I wish I had that kind of tech skill or dedication.

After grinding for like a week several months ago I kinda had sloppy inconsistent shield dropping down going left (goring right was harder for some reason) but I've since lost it.

actually lately I'm finding myself often unintentionally smashing on the platform instead of (normal) fall-thru aerial, which is GGs, super punishable.

Top Bottom