• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOW TO REPORT BUGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narpas_sword

Hey All,

After spending a lot of time looking at the bug reporting forums I see a lot of topics getting made that, while they may seem helpful at first, really don’t contribute much other than a single line saying ‘there is a problem with this’.

With the release of 3.5 this forum has exploded with new bug reports.

Solving bugs is not an easy process. A lot of time needs to be put in to isolate the issue. If we could help the PMDT by doing this, it would be better for everyone involved.

This is a list of things to do in order to keep bug reporting streamlined:

RESEARCH
REINSTALL and REPRODUCE

First up, RESEARCH

1. Read the Pinned Topics. Carefully. Make sure what you're reporting is not a known issue already.

2. Search the forums to be sure what you've found has not already been reported.
Do this thoroughly. Helping by submitting an unknown bug is awesome.
Submitting something already known is unhelpful.

If you find that your bug is reported already, have a read of the topic. If you can contribute more by 'confirming' it's existence, do so.

3. Make sure what you're reporting is not:

- An intended PM feature
- An intended game-play feature from either Brawl or Melee
- An issue left over from Brawl that can't be fixed yet.
- A workaround resulting from another bug.
- Known
- In turbo mode
- User Error

If you have custom Content: Make sure what you're submitting IS NOT related to the custom content. Do this by trying to reproduce the bug with a default build.
(If you would like help with customised content. Post in the Help forums or the Custom Content forums. This forum is for reporting and logging bugs in the official build.)

REINSTALL and REPRODUCE
Reinstall the default build and try to recreate the bug again. Problems may occur on your SD card and a fresh install may fix a bug you think you’ve found.

It is important to do this because ANY custom content can inadvertently affect the default build.
THE PMDT only want to spend time fixing their bugs, not bugs caused with custom content.
Even without custom content, SD cards can wear out, things can go wrong. The simple process of reinstalling can potentially fix your problem and avoid unnecessary bug reports.

Then if you still need to file a bug report, fill out these Details when you make your post:

Topic Title: PM3.6 | <Text about the bug, use good key words>

In the post:

Title of the bug:
Version found in:
Hardware you are running:
Loading Method:

Details:
Attachments:
Custom Content:

For Example:

Title of the bug: [Something Descriptive about the bug, that if other users find your bug they will find your topic upon searching.]

Version found in: [e.g. 3.5: Homebrew: Full set]

Hardware you are running: [wii, or dolphin version number]

Loading Method: [e.g. USB Loader name and ocarina hook-type , Pm ISO, StageBuilder (hackless will be using this)]

Details: A step By step detailed description on how to reproduce the bug.
If you are unable to reproduce the bug. Please provide as many details as possible so others may try to. If this is the case include ‘INTERMITTENT’ in the topic title until it can be refined.

Attachments: Reproduce the bug using the Wi-Fi/replay build if you can. And attach the replay of the match to your post.
Otherwise try to get some screenshots or record a video with your phone (prop it up with something instead of holding it in your hands to avoid shaking).

Make sure the problem is clearly visible.

Custom Content: This should be 'no'. Not even a little. Not even 'a few songs'. Nothing.

Extra Notes:

• If you are reporting a bug, be committed to help resolve it. At least until it can be pinpointed and reproduced. Please do not post up and wash your hands of the matter. It’s likely that questions will be asked in order to help refine the bug. As the reporter, you will have the most experience in seeing the bug, we need you to help.

• The PMDT are focused on the Wii version of the game. This is not to say that dolphin bugs shouldn’t be reported, but keep in mind that if they’re dolphin only they will likely be assigned a lower priority. Dolphin bugs may still be used to pinpoint bugs in the wii build.

• Keep in mind when using Dolphin that the ‘netplay’ build (which most people use when using dolphin) is actually a custom build and the custom content rules apply to it. That said, still report it if you feel it's a problem as netplay has a big audience. and since it's one custom pack everyone uses, it would be good to find errors. Make sure your report mentions it is on dolphin and the other steps apply (restart pc, reproduce etc)

• Keep bug reports separated into different topics. Otherwise it can be hard to keep track of what's happening in the topic.

• Replays not working is not a bug. DO NOT REPORT THAT YOUR REPLAYS DON'T WORK. The replay function saves button inputs, due to how light presses on shoulder buttons are used and recorded, they de-synch replays. This is known. In order to use the replay function, you need to be saving and viewing replays using the 'wifi safe' build. This is found in the addons menu.

• If your Music is bugging out (Changing tracks, making undesirable noises) you need to delete project m from the Sd card (format it is fine) then reinstall.

If we do this we can help the Dev Team solve issues by providing a thorough analysis of the bugs we find.
They've done so much for us, let’s return the favour and make things easier for them.

Regards,

A Software Tester.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
quite the contrary, i think all someone would need to do is replace the "3.0 known bugs" with a new one for this build... only problem about it is finding someone willing to write edits... because with this board exploding as it is, writing up reports that are consistent with everyone sounds very tedious...

Narpas_sword

I'm sure the known bugs topic is being updated, which is why it's important for us to report bugs as consistent as possible.
The more effort we end users put in, the easier it is for the pmdt.

The less time they have to spend trying to figure out exactly what's being reported and removing duplicates, the more time their support team can focus on fixes =)

TIA.18

Smash Rookie
Anyone else get a crash on smashville while using a wario down b and hitting it? My game has crashed three times in a row.

No. 14 Lyis Runis

Smash Rookie
Hey, I was wondering if I could get help on this one bug its really small not that big of a deal. But, whenever I load 3.6 it freezes on the Green screen after the codes show up. I tried deleting and redownloading, using another SD card, formatting to FAT and FAT32, restarting my Wii, etc. but nothing helps. If someone could please help me that would make my day I really wanted to play this. If so, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Narpas_sword

Hey, I was wondering if I could get help on this one bug its really small not that big of a deal. But, whenever I load 3.6 it freezes on the Green screen after the codes show up. I tried deleting and redownloading, using another SD card, formatting to FAT and FAT32, restarting my Wii, etc. but nothing helps. If someone could please help me that would make my day I really wanted to play this. If so, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Have a read of the help and support section. This sounds like the gamecube memory card problem though. Take the gcn card out if you have one.

No. 14 Lyis Runis

Smash Rookie
Have a read of the help and support section. This sounds like the gamecube memory card problem though. Take the gcn card out if you have one.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have been waiting to play this for the longest time, You are a life saver thank you so much man! Have a nice day dude!

Taytertot

Smash Ace
im posting this here first because i dont have the recording equipment to prove the issue and im not sure if this is for me specifically (in which case i should redownload PM 3.6 on my SD card) but since i moved from 3.6 beta to the full release of 3.6 the auto L-cancel feature added in the versus mode options doesnt seem to work. i'll turn it on and my next game i will only have around a 60% L-cancel rate (and thats just from me having a habit of L-cancelling not because the auto L-cancel is being inconsistent). this was not the case in the 3.6 beta, where it always L-cancelled properly and so id have 100% as the game itself would state at the end of the match.

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
i'll test that once i have a chance to turn PM on.

edit: it appears that bowsers bair was 18 frames of landing lag with and without me manually L-canceling. i tested using debug mode to make sure. i also tested it with link's dair and it was 21 frames with and without manual L-canceling so i guess i was wrong and just assumed that something was wrong. im glad i asked on here before posting a thread.

Last edited:

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
I got the freeze + buzzing sound while it looked like someone was trying to join me online in the training room.
Is there any real guidance on this bug in other games and why it happens? Some games always do it all of the time or in certain levels(medal of honer heroes 2 for example) and sometimes its just plain random!

I will report my findings if it happens again.

2Gb non sdch
hackless method
no game cube memory installed
U.S. latest Wii firmware

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
I will make a thread if it keeps happening.
Does the online play work on dolphin?

Also, how do you get mods like this to work on dolphin?

Last edited:

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
Roy did you delete all stages in stage builder and then reboot the game or Wii? Also verify the files/folders are properly installed on your non sdch 2Gb sd card with your game cube memory cards not installed. Also, are you using the hackless version?

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
ok i think i found an actual bug this time but id like someone else to check it before i make a thread just to be sure.
i went into training mode, i turned on debug mode (i know there are several debug mode things to switch through, so it was the first mode that doesnt have fixed camera), i turned hitboxes on and landing collision on and then changed the speed to 1/4. the hitboxes were showing up fine before i slowed the speed down but after i switched to 1/4 speed in the training mode menu the hitboxes disappeared (i assume due to the amount of things i had going on at once).

PM crashed shortly afterward (though that could have been a few reasons as i have had PM randomly crash on me before). the disappearance of the hitboxes were consistent at 1/4 speed (when i went up to 1/2 speed the hitboxes returned and the hitboxes showed up at normal speed as well). Can anyone confirm that this is happening on their PM copy as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom