• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Play: An In-Depth look at the Metagame (1st Revision)

Delphiki

Smash Champion
How to Play

An In-Depth look at the Metagame

Many players have wondered what advanced players think, how they compete at the levels they do, and why they take seemingly odd choices of action…..

Many players have wondered why it is that they can defeat many players, and yet still some others seem to always be beyond them….

Many players have wondered how it is that they can become stronger, and move past their current limits to become highly skilled Smashers.

That information I hope to help unveil for the hundreds of up-and-coming smashers for whom we are indebted to maintain this community. All of the information which I will give here is already known to most advanced players, and many amateur and pro-am players as well. The purpose of this article is to provide you all with that same information which will allow you to drastically improve both your strengths and shortcomings. I intend to cover everything from the meaning of the word to the characters, and the players themselves. I hope that the material provided within will furnish those players with incomplete knowledge of the professional level of play with a more complete understanding and therefore gain more skill than the level the currently hold.

I also highly recommend LuInSpectra’s “7 Habits of a Competitive Smasher”, which can be found by clicking on this sentence.

Lest we tarry longer, I entreat ye…

== Metagame – The Word and Meanings ==

In order to take a good look at what exactly the community terms the metagame, it is beneficial to first take a look at what the word in itself hints at.

The prefix ‘meta’ is a Hellenic, or Greek, word meaning ‘with, across, or after’. The entire definition is, according to Oxford’s online dictionary:

meta-
(also met- before a vowel or h)
• combining form forming words referring to:
1 a change of position or condition: metamorphosis.
2 position behind, after, or beyond: metacarpus.
3 something of a higher or second-order kind: metalanguage.
— ORIGIN from Greek meta ‘with, across, or after’.
Meta, therefore, can be used to create a word which describes a meaning which is beyond that which is of the topic itself, the topic being the root of the word. In this case that is the ‘game’.

The Smash community, and perhaps other gaming communities as well use this term somewhat to imply a deeper understanding of the game of their choice. While it is more properly used to describe those things which need discovery after mastering the game itself, both uses do the term sufficient justice.

So when we say that someone has knowledge of the metagame, we must assume that this player already has a substantial amount of information on the basic technical possibilities of the game. However, this has not always been the case.

In times past, not all technical aspects of Super Smash Brothers Melee had been discovered. As can be vouched by others more sufficiently than myself, there have been times where actions such as SHFFLing, wavedashing, and other techniques were not established. Although it may seem strange to some (especially newcomers) that this was once the case, we must remember that at one point each one of us was oblivious to these techniques ourselves.

== A Look at the Metagame: How it Changes, and Why ==

We must also, and more imminently remember that the metagame, contrary to nature of the word, is advanced along with our understanding of the game itself. For this reason, the metagame is fluid and changeable. This fluidity is dependent upon the techniques which are most widely used in the area of focus. So, we must admit that each region, however small or large, has an at least somewhat different metagame from each other region. It has been stated that Japanese and American players play differently than one another. It has also been stated by a very large number of players that the key to advancing one’s skill is to play players outside of your normal opponents. This serves to keep the metagame fresh and also allows players to gradually become accustomed to and create new playstyles. These in turn again refresh the metagame .

Alternatively, a group of players who are rarely introduced to new tactics will stay relatively the same in their metagame. This is what is known as a closed metagame , the opposite which I have been describing is an open metagame . The metagame's fluidity necessitates that a change is to be met with change. All changes in tactics are to be presented with a counter tactic. It is precisely this system of checks-and-balances which continues to keep the metagame fresh. No tactic can remain completely overpowered (or “broken” as some may prefer) as long as it has an practical counter.

Here I must stress a very important factor in deciphering the metagame: it is not enough that the technique is possible; instead any given technique or tactic can only affect the metagame as much as it is exposed. Even a very overpowered technique can only have an affect on the metgame as far as it is known. However even a technique only half as effective as another can have a substantial effect upon the metagame if it is widely and effectively used. It is the combination of effectiveness and exposure use which furthers the metagame at national and global levels.

== Characters and their Potentials ==

With the basic nature of the metagame itself out of the way, I turn to another point: that of the metagame of the playable characters. Of a total of 26 characters in Super Smash Bros. Melee, all of them see at least some tournament play. While it is true that some see more, in some cases much more than others, all characters enjoy some time in the spotlight of tournaments. The time which these characters spend in the limelight somewhat corresponds to the amount of potential they are believed to possess.

Now of course you may be thinking of that last sentence. What they are believed to possess. It must be admitted before any speculation can occur that all characters possess undiscovered abilities, combos, techniques, or tactics. In recent times many characters have grown more popular due to powerful discoveries which strengthen their metagame. This has occurred countless times, and at completely unexpected times. This then supports the argument that all characters retain the potential to advance their metagame at any time. This advancement will come only as a discovery by a player who then shares that information with the community. Any character may at any time suddenly become much stronger and more popular in tournament play. While this is true, I myself believe that there are characters who stand out in this respect, and characters who hold the complete opposite.

Those characters whom I believe have little room to advance include Marth, Sheik, Fox, and Falco. I believe that these characters have nearly reached their purely technical potential, and are thus reliant upon mental advancement. For this reason, I suspect that while they will hold their positions more or less stable for some time, they will slowly be ousted as the highest ranked characters. Some characters for whom I have some expectations for are those who are underplayed. These characters have a high chance of improvement because there is a high likelihood they have much undiscovered potential. These characters include Pichu, Zelda, Mewtwo, and Yoshi. Unfortunately these characters do not enjoy the same amount of high-level play as higher ranked characters.

Finally, I believe there are two characters in particular who have much more potential in them than all other twenty four characters combined. These characters are Samus and the Ice Climbers. The technical possibilities lying behind Samus are incredible and undeniable, from Super Wavedashing, Double/Triple Missiling, Repeater Missile, Bomb Jumping, and many others besides. The Ice Climbers possess just as much potential, I believe. They alone hold the unique ability to control two mostly independent characters simultaneously. Alone, they are not much of a force. Synced, they are strong but defeatable, and still hold much potential. However while desynched the Climbers offer up an incredible amount of combo potential which is completely unprecedented in all other characters. It is my strong belief that for these reasons these two characters will soon begin a rise towards the top of the tier lists.

At this point you may be considering what many community members to be the end-all, be-all measure of any character’s metagame: the tier list. While these players admit that these are flexible, they seem to hold the assumption that they become more correct over time. This however, cannot be true. No amount of discovery can ever attain absolute knowledge regarding the metagame, because it is of a fluid nature and cannot be assigned concrete facts. What can be said is that any given characters metagame is dependent upon the current potential and usage of its discovered tactics and techniques.

The tier list, however, is an accurate judge of the current level of the metagame, as far as the relation of characters in general. The tiers do not take heavily into account specific cases, but are instead intended to give an unbiased view at how a character will perform, on average, against other players of equal skill using a diverse assortment of characters. In this short address to the tier lists, I must stress both their subjectivity and fluidity. The tier lists are, at best, temporarily accurate, but not impeccably so. At worst however, they are a gross misinterpretation of recent changes in the metagame. For this reason it is best that they are updated often, as well as after any discoveries deemed important or revolutionary.

== Tournament Regulations and their Effects ==

Super Smash Bros. Melee enjoys a vast tournament scene which spans the entire globe, and enjoys much communication through the use of our beloved Smashboards. However, tournament rules may differ slightly between areas and tournament directors (these differences are known as house rules). Fortunately most major tournaments feature little variations in singles and doubles formats, most of which are based on Major League Gaming’s (or MLG) rules. Most community hosted tournaments feature only slight changes from these rules. All rules however, share a common goal. That goal is to restrict the metagame by banning certain techniques and eliminating certain possibilities. These limitations are placed upon anything which is heavily favorable to certain situations and heavily unfavorable to others. They are applied as little as possible, and only in cases which would heavily alter the metagame and leave it much less diverse.

These tactics are either uncounterable or can be countered only by very few characters. If not banned, these tactics would cause many players to use these overpowered tactics to achieve wins. In response, other players would be forced to limit themselves to certain characters and playstyles which would counter these overpowered tactics. The most common banned tactics are those which cause a player to indefinitely lose control of their character or stall a match for a long period of time. These tactics would limit the metagame and are banned for that reason.

Also, many of the stages in Super Smash Bros. Melee are banned from tournament play. It should be noted that many tournament directors are lenient, and house rules on stages should also be made known at all tournaments. The stages which are most commonly banned are those whose features benefit specific characters so much that they would heavily alter the metagame because players are forced to play a very small number of characters on that stage. Also, stages which feature prominent divisions of areas (such as Hyrule Temple, Brinstar Depths, Princess Peach’s Castle, Onett, Eagleland, Yoshi Island 64) and encourage ‘camping’ are banned, because they force specific tactics once a player is camping. Stages which are regarded as neutral, as not too heavily benefiting a small number of characters are random stages and are the host of most tournament matches. MLG features six random stages in singles, and seven in doubles.

In order to lessen the differences in power between characters and stages, an ingenious solution is provided in the form of advanced counterpicks, also known as slob picks. In an MLG advanced counterpick, the following choices are performed after each match:

1. Winner of the previous match bans one neutral or counterpick stage.
2. Loser of the previous match chooses the stage for the next match.
3. Winner chooses the character they will use.
4. Loser chooses character, and the next match begins.

This sytem of advanced counterpicking gives favor to the loser of the match and helps even out differences in metagame resulting from stage and character.

All in all, MLG, community, and house tournament rules provide a great service to entrants: to limit the metagame in order to ensure diversity and entertainment.

== The Competitive Smasher ==

And now we arrive at my main point. What is surely the most important aspect in any competition is the metagame of the individual player. While this may be a bit of a misnomer, I will nonetheless apply it to discuss that which is of utmost importance: the current capabilities of the player (both technically and mentally) and his or her ability to adapt to new and unforeseen changes in competitive play.

A players ability can be usually fitted into two categories: technical and mental. The technical category is composed of knowledge of the game itself, combo ability, proper control of your character, and mastery of all advanced techniques such as SHFFLing, teching, Smash DIing, Auto Smash DIing, and pivoting. The mental category is composed of knowledge of the metagame, the ability to evaluate one’s opponents, and mindgames. Mindgames can be most easily explained as the foreknowledge of your opponents actions and the ability to create those reactions with the use of your own actions.

A top-level player must possess mastery of both of these categories in order to compete at a high level of play. A variety of playstyles are a results of the intermixing of the two categories, as some players choose to play very technically and aggressive with little mindgames, whereas others have less technical skill but play a patient game which takes advantage of mental ability. The ability to intermix styles is one benefit of mastering one’s ability.

However, even when looking into each player’s possession of these categories, we find we must look even deeper. Even players who possess similar styles may be at another level very different. These differences create the metagame of the player. All players have both shortcomings and strengths which can be discovered and exploited very similarly to how one would shift one’s play style when playing against a different character. For example, a highly aggressive Falco player must be fought much differently than a defensive Peach. Likewise a defensive Falco is as different from an aggressive one as it is from any Peach. A shift in play style is at least if not more drastic than a change in character.

Also, a player’s metagame is much more fluid than a character’s. First of all, most players play multiple characters. Each of those characters may also possess different playstyles which the player will utilize. A highly skilled player may have more than ten, fifteen, or perhaps even twenty possible styles of approach! Also, they can switch these styles in-battle and between battles. It is then of utmost importance to have a fluid metagame. This is done by having both multiple characters and multiple styles to choose from within those characters. It is also necessary to have the conscious ability to switch between those styles at a moment’s notice in order to adapt to changing battle situations.

On the mental side of the player’s metagame, we find a final and very important aspect of play: evaluation. The ability to quickly analyze an opponent and find weaknesses in his or her play is very important. The quicker these analyzations are complete, the quicker the analyzer can begin to be wary of strengths and take advantages of weaknesses. Analyzing is a constant process however, and is done by both players. A player may notice that his strategy has been taken advantage of, and as such must switch to different tactics in order to stay ahead of his opponent. This process of analyzations, self-analyzation, and change is monumental in the mindgames of high level play. Suddenly, an attempt at a previously failed technique may be either a feint or an honest attempt at that technique, while the aggressor knows that the defender can in fact counter it. That knowledge allows the aggressor to feint and watch his opponent’s reaction. The constant process of analyzing and countering is of paramount importance for any competitive smasher, and it is the players who possess both these mental ability and the technical abilities to follow them up who is the victor.

== How does this knowledge help me? ==

Finally, we near our conclusion. Sure, this information is good to know, but how can it help me become a better player? To be sure, the answer is here.

All of the information which I have given here is already known to most advanced players, and many amateur and pro-am players as well. The purpose of this article is to provide you all with that same information which will allow you to drastically improve both your strengths and shortcomings. This section in particular will allow that.

As I have previously stated, both technical and mental levels of play are instrumental in obtaining a high amount of skill. The player himself is only a tool of the mind, the capabilities of that player must be evaluated, inspected and second guessed in order to achieve complete knowledge of one’s advantages and disadvantages. This is a constant process whose negligence can only detriment the player’s ability. You, the reader, may already have begun doing this even as this information is revealed: “Do I miss L-cancels or fast falls? Are there any matchups which I have trouble with? Are my mindgames effective, and how can I improve them?” Questions such as these reveal weaknesses in one’s game. However, we must also ask: “What are my most effective mindgames? What types of openings and what attacks do I usually use to obtain kills? How can I make those openings happen more often?”

By questioning both our strengths and weaknesses we become a better player. The metagame is a basis of knowledge which must be constantly updated and expanded with ever-changing conditions of battle. A river of enemies, a small ship fighting against a current of skill; the opposition of which only serves to strengthen the crew. Super Smash Bros. Melee is a never ending competition of ability which grows bigger constantly, and has not stopped growing since the games release, more than 5 years past. In fact the community is at it’s strongest today, with hundreds of professional and amateur currently competing, and the endless rain of new ability which feeds the river of skill and knowledge which makes up the community we have come to cherish. Through the endless effort of ourselves we will improve our skill! Through the encouragement of others we can continue to improve both the community and preserve the fluidity of the metagame! To continue Smashing! To play and never give up against seemingly insurmountable odds will keep this amazing game at a climax which will not recede for many years! Add to this the upcoming release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii, and we see that this phenomenon, no, this lifestyle which we call Smash will not, and can not recede as long as this community flourishes!

Good luck to all my fellow smashers, and may the best smasher win!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Thank you very much for posting this! Very helpful and I learned a few things!!!! :D
Again, thanks alot!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Good points, I read the whole thing and I agree, although I have yet to travel to a tourney.. (Im going to INNsomnia V)

Thanks, this might be stickied, if not, It should stay on the first page for sure, good job

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
Im not sure there are characters with hidden potential. the game has been out long enough that the characters all have good players playing them. Taj,Chu and straight(and fumi) all play the characters you mentioned. They play them really well, so unless one of those characters has an undiscovered infinite or something, it seems like the people good with those characters are already good.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
i'd say fox has a lot of potential to get even crazier than he already is.

he's that fast.

samus? meh...

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
*claps*

Read the whole thing and I completely agree.
Go Kirby! Go Pichu! Go Jigglypuff!

I still play Peach as my main though. =P

SuperRad

Smash Master
I've read part of it, but some things to be noted:
1) Tournament rules aren't created for diversity, but to provide the most balanced matches. A lot of the tournament rules when tournaments first created limited the number of stages played to a few, if not just one. I believe that East Coast tournaments played one game, with a high amount of stock(i think 10 was the standard) on FD. Japanese players play on two stages, FD and DL64.

2) MLG's slob counterpicks don't allow for banning of neutrals. They play best of 5 sets so you actually ban after the neutral game, but before the first counter pick. when the stage is being selected randomly for the neutral game, players are allowed to reset the stage once.

3) again, lots of fluff in there. I bet your english teachers get a hard-on from it, but here it just makes you look like a ****.

4) as ender said, many of those characters are played to what appears to be the best of their ability, and they still have faults. mewtwo will always be a slow, big character and pichu will always be light and hurt itself.

Maybe I'll finish it later. It's really, really boring to read because you often use really verbose phrasing instead of getting to the meat of the matter.

pockyD

Smash Legend
far too long; you devoted whole paragraphs to things that could've (and should've) been stated in a single sentence or less

i also think it could've benefited by using more concrete examples instead of some overt abstractions

also i'd like to know what about pichu makes you think he has potential

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I've read part of it, but some things to be noted:
1) Tournament rules aren't created for diversity, but to provide the most balanced matches. A lot of the tournament rules when tournaments first created limited the number of stages played to a few, if not just one. I believe that East Coast tournaments played one game, with a high amount of stock(i think 10 was the standard) on FD. Japanese players play on two stages, FD and DL64.

2) MLG's slob counterpicks don't allow for banning of neutrals. They play best of 5 sets so you actually ban after the neutral game, but before the first counter pick. when the stage is being selected randomly for the neutral game, players are allowed to reset the stage once.

3) again, lots of fluff in there. I bet your english teachers get a hard-on from it, but here it just makes you look like a ****.

4) as ender said, many of those characters are played to what appears to be the best of their ability, and they still have faults. mewtwo will always be a slow, big character and pichu will always be light and hurt itself.

Maybe I'll finish it later. It's really, really boring to read because you often use really verbose phrasing instead of getting to the meat of the matter.
on 1)The EC never played 10 stock, at least not since the dawn of competitive play (random stubby tournaments don't matter). The EC use to play 5 stock, though. We also never played only one stage, there were always multiple stages.

on 2)You ban at the beginning of the set, not after the first match. You are not allowed to ban neutrals, but you still ban at the beginning of the set.

on 3)yea, but I think most of the work was well thought out.

on 4)yea, the proofs could be better. My personal opinion is that the Ice Climbers hold the most potential for improvement in the short term, and somewhat Peach and Mario. Why? With the dominance of the space animals, more characters that have the power to beat the space animals will have to step up, the Ice Climbers do a great job (especially now with wobbling), and Mario does a great job (maybe Doc too), Peach may or may not do good, she may be capped out, but I personally see room for improvement.

Overall, delph, I think you made a great post, you explain a lot of things many people have difficulty understanding.

SuperRad

Smash Master
on 1)The EC never played 10 stock, at least not since the dawn of competitive play (random stubby tournaments don't matter). The EC use to play 5 stock, though. We also never played only one stage, there were always multiple stages.
I recall reading a thread on here that stated that. Maybe it was west coast and not east coast or something, but I specifically remember that at the beginning of smash tournaments it was a single game per set with high stock. I could be remembering wrong (sure as hell wouldn't be the first time.)

EDIT: here's the link to the post. http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1084815&postcount=6

on 2)You ban at the beginning of the set, not after the first match. You are not allowed to ban neutrals, but you still ban at the beginning of the set.
Ah, my bad.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The dawn on competitive play on the EC is roughly the beginning of 2003. There were scattered EC tournaments before then, but the players and communities really didn't begin to reach a consensus on anything until mid to late 2003, the tournament that person is referring to (I don't know what one), had to have come before that time.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
very well written, good vocabulary, real direct.

thanks for putting down into text many ideas i have about the game but couldnt state as eloquently.

myself, especially being a low tier main, believe in order to be sucessful with a low tier, like Link, think that you have to look at the game with a bit more speculation, complication, and overall creativity if you wish to be competitive on a metagame level.

super smash bros melee has more to offer than all that is known about it on Feb. 6, 2007.

once again, well said. not much else needs a' sayin

Lesheik

Smash Lord
The player himself is only a tool of the mind,
You got it the other way around. The mind is the tool of the player. The player is the character you're using the game.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
You got it the other way around. The mind is the tool of the player. The player is the character you're using the game.
The mind must master the self, the self controls the player, and the player plays the character which wins the game.

I'll reread and look for anything that needs clarification or summarization.

Btw, Brian is right about bans. Random resets are used first round, bans come after a win. I didn't mention resets because they don't have a very large effect.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Btw, Brian is right about bans. Random resets are used first round, bans come after a win. I didn't mention resets because they don't have a very large effect.
When did this happen? I've been to each MLG with exception only to Dallas and New York Playoffs, I've never heard anyone call out their bans AFTER a match had been played (I know it seems useless with random reset on the first match and would make no real differance if it were before or after the first match). What I usually (and when I say usually, I mean always) hear is a player give a neutral ban (reset) and a nonneutral ban at the same time before the match begins but after character selections are made (although most people don't even care about this, because for most of the pro's you already know what character they are choosing).

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Casual rules and most community tournaments do bans before. I believe MLG does the same, but it is possible that I'm wrong. All in all though it makes little difference.

Oh yeah, if you guys could point out any areas which could use revision I'll take a look tomorrow. Sorry, I spent the day smashing. ^_^

Lesheik

Smash Lord
my main point has yet to be addressed
Everything you said we already knew. Whoever has played smash before knows in the mind that he/she must find an opening to attack the opponent so he/she can kill the opponent. You made this 'point' into a multi-fold amount of information that could've been made concisely. We already knew that we need to change our techniques during a match if our opponent changes their techniques. We already knew about analyzing a player. All you really wrote about was how to do things we already knew how to do, but making it longer, and more technical. You just listed normal native intelligence.

We didn't need all of this. All you did was tell us what we were already doing.

No flame intended..

Blade of Truth

Smash Rookie
Great explanation Delphiki, some people seem to have had some difficulty understanding it, but I didnt at all. Thank you for putting so much into writing that.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Concise is always a good thing but you got the knowledge across so i really can't complain, very good read. Ok well i'm back to animating a snake in lightwave but again really good read :) keep it up man

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Concise is always a good thing but you got the knowledge across so i really can't complain, very good read. Ok well i'm back to animating a snake in lightwave but again really good read :) keep it up man
Sometimes less is more. :laugh:

.. and sometimes more is less.

Whatever is not needed shouldn't be put it, because it's like this:

Why type a 6-page essay when you can type a 2-page essay with the same amount of information?

All we need in an explanation is a point, and some details. It's dumb to give details details, because that'll just annoy and confuse people.

Here's another example:

A guy is riding in a bus. He asks a stranger how's the weather? The stranger says, "Well. perfect wind speed, a little breezy, but I like some breezes sometimes. The temperature is not too hot and not too cold, so it's warm. The sky is clear, no clouds. I heard it's going to be foggy tommorow though. I heard that in North Carolina it doesn't get too foggy out there. I'm planning to go out there with my family in a couple years to go hiking. My leg was broken a few months ago, but it's better now. I ran track back in highschool, it was fun. Riding on this bus is fun. Talking to you is fun. The weather is okay I suppose.."

All the guy wanted to know was the weather.. not all those useless words.

You see what I mean? Delph gave too much useless junk. Sure it's nice to know, but it's not wanted. All he needed to do was get the point across. He didn't have to get the point across by adding random things that related to his point, and then add details to the random things to make his point seem clearer.. it didn't make it clearer. It made it foggy. That's why I say that too much added detail is not good for one's mind.

Quality over quantity. No it's not both. If it was both I would've posted this.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
i respect you for dedicating that much time in this thread...good post...people who actually read the whole thread might learn something...i personally really didnt gain anything out of it...but i just respect the fact that you put this thread out there for people who need it, but is there really a need for all those big words...peace

-hiroshi

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Most people are probably going to be confused by the fact that the slang term for metagame is mindgame. Excellent post nonetheless

razor_brutality

Smash Rookie
This is Delf on a friend's account.

Thank LeShiek for doing that. If I think it will be better changed I'll surely change it.

The idea of mindgames is incredibly misused. Maybe this thread will help that problem a small bit.

ÖwnÄ

Smash Ace
Very good read man! Yea ppl are saying its long but its an essay, its supposed to be! Personnally i hate reading, but i must admit it was VERY informative! Good job bro!

:yoshi:

Ryuker

Smash Lord
I like the thread^^. that you made it a long read also helps I think cause in order to understand something you need to wonder about it. Cause this doesn't make sense right away the more you think about it the more you start realising what it actually means which is exactly the point right? Realisation leads to understanding and that really is one of the steps to improving I think. Really nice post and I hope this atleast gets a bit more reads then the "the worst excuses you ever heard" threads XD ( which is still going strong after all this time XD).

Delphiki

Smash Champion
You make a good point Ryuker. However I also don't want to turn people away from this simply because of length or difficulty. While I won't do anything to reduce its quality, I think that if something can be said in a less confusing way it should be so.

Anyways, I was thinking that while this article gives quite well a general description of the metagame, there are many many more aspects of competitive Smash which I would like to introduce to new Smashers. I may decide to make this "How to Play" into a monthly or bi-monthly discussion of advanced Smash.

marthsword

Smash Ace
The revision helped a lot, I read both versions. It is a wall of text, but still readable I think. It was very informative, and I think this has the potential to help many people.

Top Bottom