1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

How To Clean The Wii's Laser (Just Use Caution)

Discussion in 'Brawl General Discussion' started by Edfishy, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Edfishy

Edfishy Smash Rookie

( If you're going to attempt to clean the laser, please do so with caution. This will likely void any warranty, but it is however useful to know how to perform home repairs on consoles)

Hi there, we picked up Smash Brothers Brawl last night at a midnight releasing and were shocked to find that our Wii couldn't read the disc. We've got a smoker in the house and it's a sure bet there was plenty of dust in there, so it was a given the laser was likely too dusty to read the dual layered Smash Disc. Still, this was very disappointing and will result in quite a few Wii and Smash Brawl returns.

We've taken apart both of our GameCube's in the past to adjust the laser frequency dial so they would continue to read game discs, so we figured disassembling the Wii must be relatively similar. Unfortunately, the Wii uses a triwing screwdriver, which we weren't willing to wait to have shipped now that we had gone out and gotten Brawl early.

Fortunately, it appears that the "Husky 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver" set appears to work if you apply a little force and set it correctly into the triwing screw slots. Use the smallest Phillips bit included in the set, as it seems to fit the best. The Husky bit did seem to start bending by the time were were finished with it, so just keep an eye on it.

[​IMG]

Just remove the screws on the outer shell, carefully remove the panels until you can clearly see the disc-loader, and then apply a cotton ear swab and a dab of rubbing alcohol to the laser's lens (it'll look glassy and shiny, can't miss it). Use a different clean cotton ear swab to dry the lens, put the Wii's panels back together, and whalla, Brawl works again for however long you can keep your Wii dust-free.

[​IMG]

The arrow is where you can access the Wii's Laser lens, the "X" is about where the lens are located.

Once we're done playing Brawl for a bit, I might post up complete photographic instructions, but I don't think that's terribly necessary. I would suggest however that you watch a video of a Wii being disassembled on YouTube before attempting anything, and again use caution and don't do anything obviously destructive.

Disassembling a Wii:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc

Step by Step Guide to Disassemble a Wii (Only go to Step 13)
    http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewpto...m=10&topic=377

Anywho, just wanted to let any of you who've had a similiar problem know that it's not too hard to fix.
  2. Dead Wire

Dead Wire Smash Cadet

I live in a place called socorro which in spanish
    I just got Brawl and it didn't work and then I called the number on the back of the booklet and they said the lens is probibly dusty so send it to us and the game and in about a week or two you'll have it back.
  3. Super Drybones

Super Drybones Smash Ace

can you tell me the time in the video
    or take a screen cap of the part i need to clean(so i dont screw it up)
  4. Edfishy

Edfishy Smash Rookie

5. danielpower

danielpower Smash Rookie

Great tips!
  6. AMKalmar

AMKalmar Smash Ace

Two year necro... nice.
  7. Atlantian

Atlantian Smash Rookie

Nice, useful guide. I have a feeling this will be useful for me someday.
  8. Pierce7d

Pierce7d Wise Hermit

• Premium

Actually, whoever necroed this is amazing. This thread can help TONS of people who's wii is now suffering.
  9. FLSHK

FLSHK Smash Cadet

I honestly didn't know that the GCN used phillips screws. I thought it used the tri-wing ones.
  10. highfive

highfive Smash Lord

My god. Someone necroing was a good thing? I demand a sticky NAO!!1!ONE!!TWOMINUSONE!!
  11. Liquid-117

Liquid-117 Smash Apprentice

This thread should be a sticky. If only i was aware of this 3mounths ago...
  12. Liquid-117

Liquid-117 Smash Apprentice

Opps double post...
  13. Meiling

Meiling even miku looks at you with disgust

• Premium
    this is incredible, someone necro'd a useful thread.

WTF JUST HAPPENED
  14. Apollo$

Apollo$ Smash Ace

Request sticky zomg
  15. the_irish_dude

the_irish_dude SCG TO

• Premium
    lookin forward to using this
  16. KenniSpam!

KenniSpam! Smash Master

Double necro.
  17. Eternal Yoshi

Eternal Yoshi The most specific General

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3394-4459-7089
    Yes. Like Mine.
  18. DAS

DAS Smash Journeyman

What does it mean when the game reads just fine, but it doesn't read when I select Toon Link or Wario or they involved in any match the game won't read. Other then that it works just fine.
  19. Life

Life Smash Master

^I'm thinking a scratch on the disk?
  20. pacman77

pacman77 Smash Rookie

great info I will give that a try I am sure that is the problem with my console,I have a ps2 as well is the cleaning the same procedure.
  21. pacman77

pacman77 Smash Rookie

cleaner

methylated spirits alright to use.