• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how necessary is it to be able to use tornado for recovery?

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Honestly, not too necessary. If you need it then you're in dire straits already, and it's vulnerable enough that you'll probably be KO'd anyway as long as your opponent tries. Although, in my actual experience, most of the time they do stop, assume you're dead, and comment about how surprised they are when you make it back (which feels pretty good), but it'll only be so long until knowledge of Luigi's recovering abilities (and how to completely nullify them) becomes common.

I'd compare it to Falcon's moonwalk or Sheik's Shino-stall. You could probably be a high-level contender without it, at least until PM reaches 20XX levels. It's not a fundamental part of play, but it does expand and improve your options. If you're real good you can use it to vertically follow people after using your second jump, if you're confident enough you can drastically increase your off-stage edge-guard range, and simply being able to stall with it is a useful mixup. It's also one of the rare things in Smash that can be practiced alone (in other games, even!), so there's no reason not too, especially since it requires real exercise (not just experience) to maintain. And now's such an early point in the game's life with so much possibility to discover, how can you not want to try to be in the forefront?

EDIT: Oops I thought this was the PM section. Yeah it's like pointless in Melee.

Last edited:

Zelbertoad

Smash Cadet
I agree it's not very necessary.
It's more important to not get yourself in the situation were you need to recover with the tornado by being better at the neutral game.

Once your opponent figures out the timing for the recovery and your recovery options, it stops being an advantage.
Although it is a nice advantage when your opponent hasn't had enough experience with the Luigi match-up to know how to gimp you.
It gives them the illusion that it is very hard to kill Luigi. lol

If you're interested in doing the recovery, go for it! It doesn't take much time to practice.

spencer postal service

Smash Rookie
The way I see it, the tornado is pretty great for mix-ups or for that extra little distance, but not super necessary. It certainly throws people off the first time they see it, especially if you recover without it the first few times. Also, you can use it to stall out edgehoggers to trick them into rolling too soon. Besides, Luigi needs all the recovery options he can get, so I think it's pretty worthwhile, but not really required.

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
I believe that tornado is while not always effective, but it's one of those things that is worth a shot. If you have the opportunity, it would be unwise not to charge it in on stage when you have the opportunity. And Luigi's recovery is primarily horizontal with Side-B, so without a misfire, Luigi can find himself vertically challenged even with his Up-B. In my opinion, Luigi's tornado is absolutely necessary to keep as an option although you might not always have the option to use it.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
So you kinda stop the momentum of getting back on stage for a bit, you can easily be gimped, or punished for staying in the air. Besides having a but if air time open for any enemy attacks, it is somewhat hard to master, since it requires you to aggressively mash the B button. If you're like me, I literally have to take my whole right hand and mash the B button with my pointer finger.

Griffard

Smash Ace
There are many situations where Luigi can recover low and safely sweetspot ledge where he NEEDS tornado. If you want to be more than just that guy in your local scene who plays Luigi then you owe it to yourself to learn this technique. Just don't do it somewhere you can get easily punished i.e. bairs from Falco zone, anywhere Falcon could safely kill you etc.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
It's extremely important at high level play. Luigi's recovery sucks and every little bit counts to get back to the edge against opponents who are extremely capable of abusing his slow and predictable recovery.

Personally, I'm awful at it, and its one of my biggest flaws.

There's a great clip of Blea using it to recover really low on FD against Colbol and then turning the situation around into a kill. I'll try to find it.

Last edited:

The Carpenter

Smash Apprentice
As a Luigi main who is awful at using the tornado (and trying to practice it hard) I feel it is very necessary. The reason I say so is because you are practically garented to get badly punished by using side b (I know from painful experience.) Being able to use the tornado well greatly reduces the number of situations where side b is necessary thus saving you from punishments and the stress of hoping for misfires lol

Top Bottom