• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many frames of X/Y are required to short hop for each character?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I looked through Mew2King's huge frame guide, but I still didn't find it.

You know how it's easier to short hop with Falco than for Fox because with Falco you can press Y longer and still manage to short hop...what's the frame number for each character? I think Fox's is 2 frames IIRC. I've searched but I can't find this information anywhere, thanks.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
if nobody finds one, ill check and make a list real quick...

EDIT: here!
button pressed on frame 1, frame listed is the last frame you can be pressing the button:

doc: 3
mario: 3
luigi: 3
bowser: 7
peach: 4
yoshi: 4
dk: 4
falcon: 3
ganon: 5
falco: 4
fox: 2
ness: 3
ic: 2
kirby: 2
samus: 2
zelda: 5
sheik: 2
link: 5
young link: 3
pichu: 2
pikachu: 2
jiggy: 4
mewtwo: 4
game+watch: 3
marth: 3
roy: 4

VVV waks vid doesnt show numbers, it just says 'easiest' and 'hardest' and stuff...

Samochan

Smash Master
Wak's advanced techs vid had all those short hop frame datas. I check and edit it here.

Edit:

4 framers: Fox, IC, Kirby, Pichu, Pikachu, Sheik, Samus

5 framers: Captain Falcon, Doc, Luigi, Mario, Marth, GW, Ness, Y.Link

6 framers: Ganondorf, Link, Zelda, DK, Falco, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Peach, Roy, Yoshi

7 framers: Bowser

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I looked through Mew2King's huge frame guide, but I still didn't find it.
Chiggity-check it yo:

Jumping Speed - Jumping speed is how long it takes to do a jump from the ground. Every aerial jump (a.k.a. 2nd jump) takes 1 frame (starts instantaneously), as it's proven by the Screw Attack weapon, which hits anything nearby the EXACT INSTANT the character with the Screw Attack item jumps. Also, characters jump slower when they're big (Giant Melee and/or with a Super Mushroom) and they jump faster from the ground when they're small (Tiny Melee and/or with a Poison Mushroom)

Also please note that [for example] Fox (4 frames jumping speed) is in the AIR on frame 4+, so that means that the jumping ANIMATION (frames on the ground) is 3 frames for Fox.

---For more information on jumping speed go here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthrea...183#post651183

4 frames - Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik

5 frames - Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link

6 frames - DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi

7 frames - Ganondorf / Link / Zelda

-

9 frames - Bowser

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
M2K covered pretty much everything ever in his thread, if you need frame data its just there, make sure you use ctrl F and search for what you need

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Thank you, but that's not what I was looking for. I was looking for how many frames you can press x/y but still short hop. Not the animation frame lengths. Petre posted what I was looking for.
Wow I didn't actually realize there was a difference; I thought short-hopping was letting go of jump before your character started jumping. Neat-o, thanks for the list petre

NotLightningRunner

Smash Apprentice
Those are also wave-dash timings, right?
Replying to this YEARS later. Every character has different timings for how long they jump. So, Bowser has the longest time before he jumps and Fox having the shortest. (inb4 thread lock)

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Replying to this YEARS later. Every character has different timings for how long they jump. So, Bowser has the longest time before he jumps and Fox having the shortest. (inb4 thread lock)
That's not perfectly accurate, and that doesn't answer the question in the thread.

For a character to jump, they must first squat on the ground (which is easiest to notice with Bowser). Each character's shorthop takes a specific amount of frames of jumpsquatting, with frames being the rate at which the video plays. 1 frame is 1/60th of a second ; 4 frames is 4/60ths [1/15th] of a second ; 60 frames is 60/60ths of a second [1 second]; etc.
Fox is -tied- for the fastest jump (shortest jumpsquat) with 6 other characters at "3 frames squatting on the ground."
Bowser, however, is indeed the last and alone in that jumpsquat period, with 8 frames squatted on the ground.

Full Jumpsquat durations in frames: (The above poster's list was somewhat inaccurate)
3 frames [airborne on frame 4] – Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik
4 frames [airborne on frame 5] – Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link
5 frames [airborne on frame 6] – DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi
6 frames [airborne on frame 7] – Ganondorf / Link / Zelda
8 frames [airborne on frame 9] – Bowser

The question in the OP was how long someone can hold the jump button and still shorthop, and that was answered earlier in the thread. To shorthop, you only have to let go of jump before the final jumpsquat frame. In other words, if a character is on the ground for 3 frames like Fox or Sheik, then you have to let go of the jump input either on the first or the second frame.

As such..
Shorthop input windows (Let-go-of-jump-within..):
2-frame shorthop input windows – Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik
3-frame shorthop input windows – Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link
4-frame shorthop input windows – Donkey Kong / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi
5-frame shorthop input windows – Ganondorf / Link / Zelda
7-frame shorthop input windows – Bowser

I know you might already understand this fully, but if the thread is going to get locked, then this concise post should be present for people to work with.

Last edited:

NotLightningRunner

Smash Apprentice
That's not perfectly accurate, and that doesn't answer the question in the thread.

For a character to jump, they must first squat on the ground (which is easiest to notice with Bowser). Each character's shorthop takes a specific amount of frames of jumpsquatting, with frames being the rate at which the video plays. 1 frame is 1/60th of a second ; 4 frames is 4/60ths [1/15th] of a second ; 60 frames is 60/60ths of a second [1 second]; etc.
Fox is -tied- for the fastest jump (shortest jumpsquat) with 6 other characters at "3 frames squatting on the ground."
Bowser, however, is indeed the last and alone in that jumpsquat period, with 8 frames squatted on the ground.

Full Jumpsquat durations in frames: (The above poster's list was somewhat inaccurate)
3 frames [airborne on frame 4] – Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik
4 frames [airborne on frame 5] – Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link
5 frames [airborne on frame 6] – DK / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi
6 frames [airborne on frame 7] – Ganondorf / Link / Zelda
8 frames [airborne on frame 9] – Bowser

The question in the OP was how long someone can hold the jump button and still shorthop, and that was answered earlier in the thread. To shorthop, you only have to let go of jump before the final jumpsquat frame. In other words, if a character is on the ground for 3 frames like Fox or Sheik, then you have to let go of the jump input either on the first or the second frame.

As such..
Shorthop input windows (Let-go-of-jump-within..):
2-frame shorthop input windows – Fox / Ice Climbers / Kirby / Pichu / Pikachu / Samus / Sheik
3-frame shorthop input windows – Captain Falcon / Dr. Mario / Luigi / Mario / Marth / Mr. Game & Watch / Ness / Young Link
4-frame shorthop input windows – Donkey Kong / Falco / Jigglypuff / Mewtwo / Peach / Roy / Yoshi
5-frame shorthop input windows – Ganondorf / Link / Zelda
7-frame shorthop input windows – Bowser

I know you might already understand this fully, but if the thread is going to get locked, then this concise post should be present for people to work with.
ayyyyyyyy lmao

Top Bottom