• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good is my high school's smash "community"?

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Hey guys, I am the falcon in the video. Yes I know I am pretty terrible, however I would just like to let you know, my actual main is Marth. I can actually follow up and my spacing is much better, at least I think so. I didn't play Marth in this tournament to show that I could win without him, as everyone seems to get mad when I play Marth because I can edgeguard decently. If there are any more tips for falcon, I would love to hear them, and thanks for your feedback.
Let me see a video of your Marth because the only advice i have for you now is foxtroting is a thing

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
Hey guys, I am the falcon in the video. Yes I know I am pretty terrible, however I would just like to let you know, my actual main is Marth. I can actually follow up and my spacing is much better, at least I think so. I didn't play Marth in this tournament to show that I could win without him, as everyone seems to get mad when I play Marth because I can edgeguard decently. If there are any more tips for falcon, I would love to hear them, and thanks for your feedback.
can i see a video of your Marth because all i have now is fox troting is a thing

BasicallyRyan

Smash Cadet
can i see a video of your Marth because all i have now is fox troting is a thing
We don't have any videos of him playing Marth as we only started recording the past two tournaments; one of which he didn't go and this one he played Falcon. We have a major tournament (for our community) coming up and we plan to record there as well. I believe he's planning to play Marth so we'll definitely put up some clips.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
We don't have any videos of him playing Marth as we only started recording the past two tournaments; one of which he didn't go and this one he played Falcon. We have a major tournament (for our community) coming up and we plan to record there as well. I believe he's planning to play Marth so we'll definitely put up some clips.
better happen i bet hes working on his approaches right now

AjaxTheBoi

Smash Rookie
Tell that Falco I have faith in him. Keep it up and he could be pretty good.
Hey guys this is the blue falco from that video with the combos. Just to let you all know, in our scene, we all are documentary kids. and then the reason we got 30 people is, over the summer and this fall, the top 6 or 7 people are started training their friends and they are all atrocious but are getting better. But that explains why it looks casual. Our top five or 6 only have only been playing for about a year and the rest, only a few months. That match against the green marth was the best I played with falco (I was a doc main untill I switched to falco a few months ago). Can someone let me know how to win as falco on any stage besides yoshis? Let me know if you have any suggestions. and in case anyone was wondering, I lost to the doc because I got nervous when he started up with the capes and I got outplayed.

ChrispyCrunch

Smash Rookie
From watching you ply a lot (I try to see at least part of most of the sets you play because your reactions to things happening are pretty funny), you need to play with the lasers and lock people down better. You always do well on Yoshi's because you don't need to worry about controlling your opponent's movement and forcing them into punishable positions (as much at least). You usually try to get into your opponents space with aerials, when you have way more options than that. Maybe tomorrow during the early stages of the swiss pools you could try counterpicking people to larger stages like Dreamland and FD and try that out.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
is your tag WU when you play marth?

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
I find my school's Smash scene in a position similar to yours; it was only very recently created and has had only one tourney so far. As the winner of that tournament, I noticed that all of us, myself included, needed lots of work with everything, even knowing how to play our own characters.

Since then, I have been playing more competitive Smash outside of school, which has greatly helped me to become a better Sheik main.

My advice to you and your friends is this (as several other people have noted): Learn from those better than you. The best way to get better at this game is to go to more tournaments and play people who can easily beat you. After each match that you lose to a better player, ask your opponent what you could have done better, and take this advice into consideration. If someone who is better than you at the game can tell you what you would have needed to do to win a match or what you need to work on, then you will be able to invest more time into those skills, making yourself a much better player.

This effectiveness of this strategy increases as the size and importance of the tournament you attend increases. Larger tournaments with more prizes involved will attract more players, especially more knowledgeable players who feel that they can win. Play these people and hear what they have to say, as they know how characters must be played on higher levels. I actually got the chance to play against DJ Nintendo recently, and I learned from him that I wasn't utilizing some of Sheik's most effective strategies! Now I understand better what to focus on in my gameplay and in certain character matchups.

TL;DR To get better, go beyond the limits of your school scene. Go to tourneys outside of it when the opportunity presents itself. The events section of SmashBoards is great for finding tournaments near you, and if you learn from the best players at those tournaments, your level of skill as a Smasher can evolve to higher levels.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Hey guys this is the blue falco from that video with the combos. Just to let you all know, in our scene, we all are documentary kids. and then the reason we got 30 people is, over the summer and this fall, the top 6 or 7 people are started training their friends and they are all atrocious but are getting better. But that explains why it looks casual. Our top five or 6 only have only been playing for about a year and the rest, only a few months. That match against the green marth was the best I played with falco (I was a doc main untill I switched to falco a few months ago). Can someone let me know how to win as falco on any stage besides yoshis? Let me know if you have any suggestions. and in case anyone was wondering, I lost to the doc because I got nervous when he started up with the capes and I got outplayed.
if you run right off of the side platforms on Pokémon stadium or Battlefield, you can use a falco illusion and it will edge cancel off the edges of the other platforms.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
why would he secondary falcon Fox,jigs,and young link are better options in my opinion but that depends on style of play

LiquidFreedom

Smash Rookie
Also (and he can correct me on this if he wants) but I don't think I've ever seen him play anyone but Marth or Falcon in bracket

ChrispyCrunch

Smash Rookie
I'll try to fill in the gaps that other people are leaving in Nagy's choice of character. He isn't picking up a secondary or anything like that; people at our school were complaining that he was only winning tournaments because he played Marth, not because he was good. To prove this was not true, he played Falcon at the last couple tournaments we've had. More than because of how much fun Falcon is to play, Nagy chose him because nobody could ever question his ability if he were to beat them with Falcon as well. Hope that can clear up some of the questions people were having about what's going on.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I'll try to fill in the gaps that other people are leaving in Nagy's choice of character. He isn't picking up a secondary or anything like that; people at our school were complaining that he was only winning tournaments because he played Marth, not because he was good. To prove this was not true, he played Falcon at the last couple tournaments we've had. More than because of how much fun Falcon is to play, Nagy chose him because nobody could ever question his ability if he were to beat them with Falcon as well. Hope that can clear up some of the questions people were having about what's going on.
You guys probably know this by now, but it shouldn't matter to you if you main someone like Marth and people complaining about it. Besides, Marth is beatable while still being very good, he's not broken.

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
so basically people were just like HAX and being a bad sport so he was just like screw you and started playing other people but atleast Marth isn't gay like jigs

LiquidFreedom

Smash Rookie
I don't think they questioned his skill, they were just tired of getting their asses beat. It's really not fun to lose to someone that's all over you all the time and won't give you any berating room.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
It may not be fun all the time to be beaten, but the players need to turn that negative energy into something that motivates them to get even better if they want to improve at all. It's important to make sure that you can take a loss and learn from it. A good example of a higher up player not doing this would be Westballz blaming stuff on his controller even though he is responsible for his own improvement and his own controllers.

-----------

I sure hope that you guys don't get a Jiggs player then. I would hate all the harassment that comes from just playing her. (It's happened here before)

BasicallyRyan

Smash Cadet
So; tournament results are in. Nagy came in first again. The Falco that shown in the Marth vs Falco video got 2nd. The tournaments results were very odd after that. Most of the results after that were odd because there was no losers because of the lack of time. Hopefully vods will be posted soon, it did go fairly well though

Nagy

Smash Rookie
The videos are up, I'm not sure about making a new thread, but you can go to the YouTube channel previously linked to watch. Any video with the name Zach Mahl is me playing. I played ok.

Nagy

Smash Rookie
Also the finals match isn't up for some reason. The Falco who came in second is the one who got third at the last tournament but the match between us is not up yet, look for zach mahl vs weston if it does.

ChrispyCrunch

Smash Rookie
Heads up for all of you, Chris Gardiner (me) and Scott Henelly were saying all day that they weren't playing well. Not johninig for either of us, but we were definitely off our game. Any advice is still welcome and very helpful!

LiquidFreedom

Smash Rookie
Scott looked pretty crispy for the first bit, then started messing up tech and taking a few less-than-safe options. There were a few places where it seemed like he just didn't throw out a hitbox in time when he probably could have. He was clearly the better player, but a few punishable mistakes cost him the game (kinda like the Penguins today lol)

You, on the other hand, looked like me out there.

Nagy

Smash Rookie
This falcon has atrocious spacing, and doesn't get the right attacks in at the right time. example, at 12:49, he gets off the ledge to do a knee (not even towards stage) and SD's, when I thought he would do a Uair towards Doc.

This Doc has bad movement. for example, I did not see a single wavedash the whole set. At 15:31, doc throws falcon off the edge. Doc could've either wavedashed to ledge or even just JUMPED to ledge if he couldn't wavedash. but instead he sat there and somehow let him recover and Uair him. Doc also spammed Ftilt, at least on game 6.
You're terrible

Top Bottom