• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you see the future of competitive SSBB?

ProMeleeFighter

Smash Rookie
Hello, wanted to ask you as you see the future of competitive SSBB: tournaments, KDD ... etc.
Thank you.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Unsure, really.Brawl tournaments are still relatively popular(there was near I live at this week even), but in between the surging popularity of Melee post EVO as well as the upcoming release of SSB4(whic is looking to improve a LOT ofthe flaws here,) it may end up becoming a cult tourney game like 64 in a few years.

darf nate

Smash Cadet
im guessing it will die. melee stayed alive because to anyone that's not a total noob its obvious that it takes more skill than any of the other smash bros games.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I don't think we'd organize a 'revival of Brawl' tourney after SSB4's hype factor runs out of fuel. It's not that I don't want to, it's just that considering the game's reputation, it would not be a smart move.
Anyway, I think the only smart move here for TOs is to continue organizing Brawl tourneys until there's not enough people playing it to cover the fees. I know I won't miss a tourney in my region until there's no tourney to miss.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
It'll probably fade away behind Smash 4 and Melee. Melee's going to reign as the most technical of the bunch while Smash 4 will be the newest and most relevant installment.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
it probably dies upon SSB4's release, unless it ends up worse than brawl (in which case, all hell breaks loose)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
im guessing it will die. melee stayed alive because to anyone that's not a total noob its obvious that it takes more skill than any of the other smash bros games.
Melee isn't popular because it takes more skill than other smash games. If anything that is totally irrelevant. I don't play games because they require a lot of skill, I play games that are fun. Melee is the most successful Smash for a reason, but you really don't seem to know what that reason is.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Melee isn't popular because it takes more skill than other smash games. If anything that is totally irrelevant. I don't play games because they require a lot of skill, I play games that are fun. Melee is the most successful Smash for a reason, but you really don't seem to know what that reason is.

My money's on it was a near launch game and expanded ridiculously on what Smash 64 offered.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
It is hard to say really. After the brawl hype train had ended many Melee players simply went back to Melee. This caused a split in the community. As the tournament scene continued many players left due to some frustration or another with the game.

It is hard to say such a thing will occur again with Smash 4 which could lead one to believe that the Brawl scene will end. Ideally a TO will keep running it well into Smash 4's life. Street Fighter players still play Turbo and third strike.

I think it would be interesting to see the community come back together for Smash 4. It is sad to think that a new game is what it is going to take to bring us back together.

prisoner

Smash Cadet
it will die; it's been running on hype its entire lifespan. the gameplay will simply not -- does not -- stand up over time.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
If smash 4 becomes a huge success, then brawl will start dying...a slow painful death.

:pow:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I see project M continuing to grow, but vBrawl is kinda dead, even though I do love me some Zamus whip ass kickin.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So many biased melee players opinions in this thread.
I personally prefer Brawl over Melee and I can even see that it'll be dead upon SSB4's release. It's never been much of a competitive game anyways, it wasn't made to be a hardcore competitive game either.

SSB4 will fare better in a competitive environment since it'll be faster, which means it'll hopefully be much less campy. I also think it's a safe bet to say that it'll be a lot more balanced than Brawl. It'll also be newer and more relevant. Even then it'll probably still have to co-exist with Melee at tournaments since it probably won't have such advanced techniques.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
I think most Brawl players will just go to Smash 4. It's said that's going to be relatively similar to Brawl (more so than Melee), so unlike Melee a lot of Brawl players should find more transferrable skills with a similar pace than those who played Melee -> Brawl.

The only real thing I think to look at is if players are /forced/ to change controllers, but I also hear that there are adapters and stuff being made for GC>WiiU platform.

So yeah, Brawl will probably die.

Djent

Smash Champion
Just as with Melee, only the strongest local scenes will survive, with anyone on the fence switching over to Smash 4. If Smash 4 is worse than Brawl, you'll see many old Brawl players flock back to vBrawl, P:M, or both. If Smash 4 is better, Brawl will be completely dead within 1-2 years. Despite liking Brawl myself, I hope to like Smash 4 better, so funnily enough my optimal scenario still has Brawl dying off just like all the haters. lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would say gotta laugh at those that think more techskill = a better game

ArtehFX

Smash Apprentice
Probably going to die due to the fact that SSB4 is near. Aaand
because melee is still insanely popular these days

Roski

Smash Rookie
Brawl will be overtaken by Super Smash Bros 4 because Brawl is a flawed game, tripping and the Metaknight tier blatantly make it flawed as a game. Smash 4 is most likely an expansion pack to Brawl aka a patch.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Brawl will be overtaken by Super Smash Bros 4 because Brawl is a flawed game, tripping and the Metaknight tier blatantly make it flawed as a game. Smash 4 is most likely an expansion pack to Brawl aka a patch.
... Actually it's a stand alone game, but I get what you are saying, even though I hope it's not true.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Let's remember that everyone was planning to drop Melee before Brawl came out, and look what happened.

There console differences (wii was compatible with gamecube, WiiU isn't compatible with wii) may lead to Brawl being completely dropped by a lot of scenes, but it's the same with melee in that case.

Brawl events will likely still occur at majors, just as 64 tournaments still occur at them.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Being a Brawl player myself, I hope it dies, and probably will. SSB4 so far seems like a better game than Brawl already by a lot.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Brawl was fun, but it will ultimately be remembered as the most flawed member of the Smash series.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
No, 64 probably would be due to N64 limitations. No air dodging, Pika's on his own teir, etc.
That is a hard case to make.

Brawl has RCO lag, random tripping, input lag, Metaknight (Far more powerful relatively than Pikachu in 64), Infinite deminsional cape, broken ledge mechanics (planking, Sharking, scrouging), a ridiculously disparate risk to reward ratio and much MUCH more.

The game is flawed to an extent that it is beyond comparison with little flaws in the other smash games (crouch canceling and ledge occupancy in Melee, high hitstun and extremely weak shield in 64)

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
That is a hard case to make.

Brawl has RCO lag, random tripping, input lag, Metaknight (Far more powerful relatively than Pikachu in 64), Infinite deminsional cape, broken ledge mechanics (planking, Sharking, scrouging), a ridiculously disparate risk to reward ratio and much MUCH more.

The game is flawed to an extent that it is beyond comparison with little flaws in the other smash games (crouch canceling and ledge occupancy in Melee, high hitstun and extremely weak shield in 64)

Guaranteed kill combos or just ridiculous combos like Falcon's u-air spam. No other Smash installment had as many guaranteed kill combos as 64. Especially on Hyrule Castle.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I hope brawl dies by tripping over the wii power chord.

It will just become the party it was meant to be.

Apex will prob host a vbrawl side event just so all 4 smash bros are there.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Guaranteed kill combos or just ridiculous combos like Falcon's u-air spam. No other Smash installment had as many guaranteed kill combos as 64. Especially on Hyrule Castle.
A heavy combo game doesn't make a game inherently flawed (look at Marvel).

Bugs and bizarre development choices that make a game difficult to play competitively are endemic to Brawl in a way they simply weren't in other smash games.
Sakurai knows he made a mistake and has stated that Brawl was rushed and that tripping was a ridiculously bad mechanic.

Top Bottom